Replies

• karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    thursday truth- my eating is out of control :sad: :sad:
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth: The family is here and I am through worrying about getting ready for Christmas. Its time to have fun!
    Laurie One of my sons is allergic to cranberries.
    Susan Good job on your vacation. I'm glad that it was amazing.
    I really feel bad that so many of you are struggling with appreciating yourselves for what amazing people you are!
    Have a great day. I plan to. Kaye
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth: Reaching goal weight will not magically make everything in my life better. And if I reach goal without doing the workouts required to build and maintain more muscle I won't even be healthy.

Once I hit goal, I have a lot left to do, and here is another truth: Even if I hit goal and work out until I am literally the healthiest human being on earth, it still isn't going to fix my life. I have other things I have to do and places to go and who knows what else before my life is even close to being good.

I hate those truths, but I better face them now, because if I don't I'm going to reach goal and then bounce right back up the scales, just like I've always done.

A magical prince charming on a flying unicorn is not going to arrive to transport me to some mythical land of milk and honey on the day that scale says 122!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @lmackbethl~Sounds like you have a great trip planned with your family for New Year’s. Not sure where you’re skiing, but my sister lives in CO and said that Purgatory is 100% open since the last storm.

@Susan~Glad you enjoyed your trip back to Atlanta, and am so impressed that you tracked everything while there. Glad that your son saw his father, but think it would have meant more if he had come alone – but as long as your son enjoyed the trip, that’s what important. Now, get some exercise!!! :wink:

@Alison~Try not to stress too much over the Christmas planning, remember it’s a time to rejoice and enjoy family (even if they do drive you crazy). If daughter is bringing some friends around, have them help you bake – or turn it over to them completely and just supervise while enjoying a "beverage." Don’t fret too much about the lack of exercise either, you know it’s just temporary and as soon as time allows you’ll be right back out there running the streets of London again. :bigsmile:

Thursday Truth~I’ve been a bit lax lately, just some high stress situations. But the stress has eased, just have to work today/tomorrow and I’ll have a week to regroup – looking forward to spending some time with my parents. We live about an hour apart and I don’t see them near as often as we would like, it will be just us for Christmas. I have real self-esteem/self-worth issues too – they used to be a lot worse than they are now, think the weight loss has helped. I’m slowly learning to come out of my shell a bit, let others in, and learn to trust people – I fully believe it’s why I’ve been alone for so long. It’s something I’m working on but oh so hard to do. I love everyone here and I love that I’ve found a group of people that we can have open discussions on issues like this.

My sister lives in southwest CO and has been sending pics of the blizzard and my nephews playing in the snow. Hasn’t said anything about lost power but they’ve received around 2 feet since last Friday – took her 3 hours to shovel their driveway the other day (snow blower is on order). All of this makes me laugh, of course, I’m older and as a teenager in NY shoveling/snow blowing our driveway and walkway was my job – I feel like she is getting her just dues! They love the snow, which is why they settled to CO after my brother-in-law got out of the Army – she’s been snowshoeing in the neighborhood and having a grand time. Too cold for me – my blood has thinned since moving to TX! :laugh:

My BFF from work came over after work last night, we enjoyed our favorite wine before heading out to Joe’s Crab Shack for dinner. I hadn’t been there in years and know I should have made a better choice and chose something steamed, but I got their crab cake dinner – they are really good about letting you make substitutions, so feel like I made my meal a bit healthier and I didn’t eat all of it. They do have an amazing pomegranate berry sangria that I enjoyed – oh so tasty!

Have a great Thursday!

:heart: Kelley :heart:
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth::: I got up this morning and got my work out in :)
    Then I had to drop my daughter off at my Mom's and my mom went on a baking extravaganza last night lol....so I had to taste test once of each. I don't feel guilty thought because I got up and worked out and that makes me feel good.

Tina
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
    I got up today and actually did a little strength training.:huh::noway: I do not know why or what was different that made me do that. I guess I’ll see what happens tomorrow. I have been eating pretty well the last few days and have lost 8.6 of the ten pounds I had gained back! So now I just have to get through having the next week off from work without gaining anything back.

"Somehow, not only for Christmas but all the long year through, the joy that you give to others Is the joy that comes back to you. And the more you spend in blessing The poor and lonely and sad, The more of your heart's possessing Returns to you glad."
    - John Greenleaf Whittier

Hope you all have a healthy day!

Tom
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth - I've gained 5lbs in the last week. I'm praying that some of this is TOM (woohoo for *THAT* during my vacation with 14 hours of travel time). I'm really really angry and frustrated with myself over it. I've been eating absolute crap too. I need some sort of shock collar for the next 3 days until my vacation where the disapproving and judgmental stares from my family will control my every bite.

I have a solid healthy breakfast, snack, and lunch. I also purposefully took my cash/debit card out of my wallet when I left home this morning so I have NO money to buy anything else.

I think when I get back from Christmas it will be time to go through my old food logs and recreate them. I'll need to get back to basics to get back in the groove.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    I heard from Monarchris - and she is very ill and overwhelmed with obligations. She wishes everyone a very blessed and Merry Christmas.:heart:

blissfullbutt - welcome to a great bunch of people. You've found a great place to support yourself on your weight loss goals. Come back often!

Lin - You're doing GREAT on the walking challenge. Now stay warm and cozy and enjoy the view from inside!

jt - I HOPE YOU WARM UP! there's nothing worse than being cold and not being able to get warm again! UGH!

Vicki - hope you're not coming down with the flu - stay under the covers and get some chicken soup into you and let hubby baby you today!

machbeth - how nice of you to take a shift on Christmas - that's really the Christmas spirit - I hope they bless you in their Holiday toasts - and have a great time on your ski trip!

Toots - Amen!

Susan - I'm sure you had mixed emotions being back in Atlanta - back amongst your friends. Glad your ex showed up to see his son whether he had to bring courage with him or not. I'm sure it was a trip full of emotions but good for you for going and getting through it. I would have been eating at my favorite restaurants too. Now, welcome back to your new home!

Boho - I think you're an extremely good hostess with everything you've got planned. Don't let your mom get on your nerves. Sorry she's been hard on you all your life - that's got to be hard, to be picked upon. That's just not fair. I think she is causing that inner voice of criticism. You could stop now and still your family would have a wonderful holiday! And we all love you!

Karen - Out of control - but only temporarily, right? Go grab a glass of water as soon as you read this and go HIDE something in your kitchen !

Kaye - glad family is there - have fun, fun, fun ! :flowerforyou:

MaraDiaz - good attitude and good advice for the rest of us to ponder. Nice to think about this week of temptation.

Kah - glad to know that your stressors are coming to an end and you'll have about a week to relax. I also have self-esteem issues and it is hard to work those issues through, and living alone makes it more work as you don't get the feed back of a large family in =house would be giving you. I'm glad you find this thread useful for that. I do to.

I am at my BF's today - and there was a big blizzard last night that was worse in Omaha than where he lives. I here my area of Omaha has a power outage so I am very fortunate to be at my BF's house. He has a big driveway to plow but his snow plow is not working so he's hand showevling it in segments - I offered to help but he won't let me. Now that's a nice guy!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!!

Thursday truth- I drank 4 beers and ate McDonalds Mushroom and Swiss meal last night after my Math final. I feel like crap this morning and I know it will not help my weight loss. I just had to let loose of all my stresses.

@Tina- WTG getting your work out in this morning.

@Robin- I know you didn't really want to go but hope the party wasn't cancelled.

@Everyone- All of you that live in the winter storm warning in Midwest be safe don't travel unless it's do or die.

@Lin- What an awesome walk

@Imackbethl- Your plans sound wonderful too just at a little later time is all.

@MowMow- Please sweetie don't be so hard on yourself. Holiday is hard emotionally and food wise for all of us being hard on yourself will just make it worse. You know you can do this and that 5lbs will be gone soon.

@Kah- I hope your stress is reducing and all that you struggle with will be vanished in the future. Sounds like your dinner out was nice glad you had fun.

@Susan- Glad your vacation went well.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I heard from Monarchris - and she is very ill and overwhelmed with obligations. She wishes everyone a very blessed and Merry Christmas.:heart:

Thank you for letting us know! Definitely miss her sweet and uplifting posts. HOpe she is better very soon, I hate to think of her sick over the holidays.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear about Christine's continued battles with illness, prayers that she is feeling more like herself over the holidays. Thanks for letting us know. If you are in touch with her again, let her know we're thinking about her.
  • karenleona
    Options
    A magical prince charming on a flying unicorn is not going to arrive to transport me to some mythical land of milk and honey on the day that scale says 122!

no??? now what do i have to look forward to??
  • karenleona
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear about Christine's continued battles with illness, prayers that she is feeling more like herself over the holidays. Thanks for letting us know. If you are in touch with her again, let her know we're thinking about her.

From me as well..... such an overwhelming time of year then to be sick on top of it......
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I thought I would read some posts to help me motivate to workout. It works most times so i am going to keep this short and get my butt in gear :tongue: I am sorry so many of you are feeling down or overwhelmed. If it helps please remind yourselves what an awesome difference you have made in my life. Even though we are all technically strangers and scattered around the world the way you all band together to support any of us in need shows what truly wonderful people you all are. We have all battled with self esteem issues but I would gladly be compared to any of the beautiful you all are and be grateful not to be found lacking. Have a wonderful Thursday and love yourselves because you all are so deserving.:heart:
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth -- I'm still overwhelmed with Christmas preparations; getting grumpy with my family, and so on. Still loads to do, still not enough time to do it. Calm. I'm going to put on some Christmas music and light some scented candles, and put up the last string of lights. Still taking zero exercise which is not helping my mood. And like all of you, I'm having real trouble loving myself right now. I keep going 'if only I was a better person, I would have finished tidying the house/ have bought smarter presents/not shout at the kids/ be looking forward to my parents coming/ have done all the cooking/ '. I sort of need to relax a bit. But still get everything done!

It's so important to enjoy the moment. I know as mothers, women in general, sisters, aunts, etc. . . we want to make everything perfect and please everyone (at least I do), but it's so important we take care of US!! Enjoy the music. Breathe in those beautiful candles. You do what you can do and that's it!! If it doesn't get done, OH WELL!!! Life goes on. Kids will be fine. Parents will get it. You're human too. I always loved the little saying "Take time to smell the roses." This is so true. You DO deserve it!!!!
  • susan2396
    Options
    thursday truth- my eating is out of control :sad: :sad:

Thank you for being honest. Now that you've gotten that off your chest GET BACK ON TRACK!!!!! Turn that upside down front right back up. You can do it!!!!!
  • susan2396
    Options
    Thursday Truth::: I got up this morning and got my work out in :)
    Then I had to drop my daughter off at my Mom's and my mom went on a baking extravaganza last night lol....so I had to taste test once of each. I don't feel guilty thought because I got up and worked out and that makes me feel good.

Tina

I'm so proud of you. I know getting in your exercise has been so tough, but with your hubby and beautiful little girls support YOU DID IT!!! Good for you. Keep it up!
  • susan2396
    Options
    @Susan~Glad you enjoyed your trip back to Atlanta, and am so impressed that you tracked everything while there. Glad that your son saw his father, but think it would have meant more if he had come alone – but as long as your son enjoyed the trip, that’s what important. Now, get some exercise!!! :wink:

Thursday Truth~I’ve been a bit lax lately, just some high stress situations. But the stress has eased, just have to work today/tomorrow and I’ll have a week to regroup – looking forward to spending some time with my parents. We live about an hour apart and I don’t see them near as often as we would like, it will be just us for Christmas. I have real self-esteem/self-worth issues too – they used to be a lot worse than they are now, think the weight loss has helped. I’m slowly learning to come out of my shell a bit, let others in, and learn to trust people – I fully believe it’s why I’ve been alone for so long. It’s something I’m working on but oh so hard to do. I love everyone here and I love that I’ve found a group of people that we can have open discussions on issues like this.

My sister lives in southwest CO and has been sending pics of the blizzard and my nephews playing in the snow. Hasn’t said anything about lost power but they’ve received around 2 feet since last Friday – took her 3 hours to shovel their driveway the other day (snow blower is on order). All of this makes me laugh, of course, I’m older and as a teenager in NY shoveling/snow blowing our driveway and walkway was my job – I feel like she is getting her just dues! They love the snow, which is why they settled to CO after my brother-in-law got out of the Army – she’s been snowshoeing in the neighborhood and having a grand time. Too cold for me – my blood has thinned since moving to TX! :laugh:

:heart: Kelley :heart:

Thanks Kelley!! My son had a great time. He really didn't say much about his dad. He gave him a hug, but that's about it. I think ALL of the family felt very awkward when he brought the girlfriend. No one had even met her and he decides to bring her that day. Oh well. Of course, when his dad wanted to take the token "son" picture, I wanted to puke!! So lady like of me. . right??!!!

I did have to chuckle about the snow shoveling comments. We grew up in western PA near Erie and it was total snow belt. We were sooo spoiled though. My dad worked for the city and brougth the big snow plow home. I can't ever remember shoveling snow. LOL!!!

I think you've nit the nail on the head for so many of us. We've battled our weight, self esteem, loneliness and so many other emotions for so long. Now that we get the comments "You look great!" "How much have you lost?" "You've got such a pretty face." Blah, blah, blah. It's so hard to accept. Of course, we're super excited to see the changes, but so much of it is a mental change too. You've done an amazing job and it was ALL you. Yes, you had some support along the way like WW, MFP, your trainer, friends, etc. . . but YOU still did the work. You should be very proud of yourself and hold your head high!!!! Off my soap box for now. LOL!!!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,167 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth:

Fear----my constant companion in pretty much all aspects of my life but particularly about my health. I am fearful that what I've been doing will never work again, that the scale will never go lower, that I'll never be any healthier, that my best efforts will never succeed.

Short but definitely not sweet.

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    We had our holiday potluck at work and after work our English dept. party. Needless to say it was a food-filled day. I ate a lot, but mostly little bites of everything. In fact, I started to log it and realized how ridiculous it will be to even bother. It will take forever to try to log every little bite and in the end it won't be accurate, so I'm just going to assume I went over and spend the time doing something more productive.

On the way home tonight I was contemplating getting on the treadmill and actually had to talk myself out of it. My house is a disaster, so rather than run, I am doing some cleaning.

@lin--I remember joining this thread in July 2011 and posting a very similar Thursday Truth. My fear was not just about whether I would succeed with the weight loss, but about how being obese made me fear so many mundane, everyday activities. I was afraid to walk around my neighborhood (much less run!) for fear that people would snicker at my attempts to get healthy. I feared choosing the wrong outfit, getting out on a dance floor, ordering something really decadent in public, and SOOOO many other things all b/c of my weight. Now I'm much less afraid of what others will think--not b/c I've lost weight, but b/c I've realized it really, really doesn't matter. That being said, I still have occasional moments of "fear" that I'll never make more progress with my weight loss; however, we both know that's just NOT a reasonable fear. If we continue to eat less calories than we burn, we WILL lose weight. :wink:

@susan--glad you enjoyed your trip!

@robin--thanks for the update on Christine! So many people are sick right now--the flu is going around--I actually had a student throw up in class today. Fortunately, she made it to the garbage can. :sick: Glad you made it through the blizzard okay. It's here in Chicago tonight--we are supposed to get 3-6 inches where I live. :ohwell:

@mymowmow--going through old food logs to re-create them is brilliant!! I may do the same thing over my winter break--thanks for the idea!!

@holly--glad you got through your math final, and I take it as a good sign that I feel like crap after eating junk--at least it means your body is changing and is not used to Mcd's anymore.

@tom & tina--so proud of you both for getting your exercise in this morning!!!

Sorry if I missed some folks--I really need to get back to cleaning! :flowerforyou: