Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm new and need something or someone to keep me accountable on MFP. I've been on and off this site for a while, but really need to stick to it. I am 3 pounds under 250, a number I never even imagined I would get close to , and I absolutely can't keep gaining weight any more. I want to lose 100 pounds over the next 2 years.

In the short term, I am scheduling a breast reduction this winter, and want to lose as much as possible before that so that my big stomach doesn't look out of proportion to my smaller chest. So that, and wanting to ride my horses, are my major motivations.

Welcome! Glad you found our thread. Good point you made about needing to stick to it! I've run this thread for 3 years now, and its been a struggle for me too - to consistently lose and keep off the weight. I'm finally successful at it. I've found that faithful logging of your food is one key to success. Doing that EVERY DAY no matter what you eat, no matter if you go over you calories, is essential to learning your eating habits. Start there.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    What nice group. I'm glad to have found you all. I like the idea of making a week's worth of goals and ticking them off as you go. I joined MFP at the end of July and it has been such a great tool. I haven't explored all of the possibilities yet. I am hopeful that I can stop this cycle of losing and regaining large amounts of weights. In the last three years I've lost and regained upwards of 30 lbs TWICE each year - crazy and unhealthy. I'm inspired when I see you all doing exercise and posting successes. I will start with small, consistent goals for September:

Monday 10 minutes of stretching (possibly salsa)
    Tuesday 1/2 hour of biking
    Wednesday 10 minutes of stretching; Salsa
    Thursday 1/2 hour biking
    Friday Salsa

Small change goal: no work/email after 10:00pm

Welcome, Elena. I had trouble with regaining my weight over the holidays - the temptation drove me mad. And the holidays went from October to February :laugh: . I've learned that I cannot live a life without sweets - I have a brownie and some chocolate candies as my "evening treat' every day and I am losing weight. I don't feel deprived this way. And during the holidays, I plan to have "one" cookie here and "one" cookie there, calories pre-counted in my log, so that I don't feel deprived. I hope you can develop an approach to your temptations so that you can handle what ever it is that makes you gain weight so that it doesn't happen again.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Since we've had a lot of Newbies join us in the past week of two, I've written this up:

My advice to Newbies:

Record your starting weight - take pictures - take measurements of every part of your body
    Enter under the TAB-MY HOME, sub TAB- Check In. (no place for pictures, sorry)

Always log your food, If you go over for the day or eat something exotic or your too lazy to look it up, ESTIMATE IT!

Record your weight regularly, once a week or once every two weeks.

Get moving. I tried for 3 years to find an exercise I loved - it took me that long. Keep trying.

MFP is about record keeping. Record your FOOD. Record your EXERCISE (always under CARDIO.) WHY? Because you are going to look back and wonder why you gained weight last week and you want to have something to look at and see the evidence of where that weight came from. Your memory is NOT THAT GOOD. Plus you can see on the PROGRESS CHART how often you exercise and that makes you feel proud of yourself.

At every 20 or so lbs. lost, measure and take pictures again. You need to see the progress visually. :wink: :flowerforyou:

Robin
  • ElenaM4
    Options
    Thank you so much, Robin. I hope your dedication to helping everyone and your kindness in responding to each post come back to you 100 fold. I'm sure I'll be asking for more advice as I go!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Since we've had a lot of Newbies join us in the past week of two, I've written this up:

My advice to Newbies:

Record your starting weight - take pictures - take measurements of every part of your body
    Enter under the TAB-MY HOME, sub TAB- Check In. (no place for pictures, sorry)

Always log your food, If you go over for the day or eat something exotic or your too lazy to look it up, ESTIMATE IT!

Record your weight regularly, once a week or once every two weeks.

Get moving. I tried for 3 years to find an exercise I loved - it took me that long. Keep trying.

MFP is about record keeping. WHY? Because you are going to look back and wonder why you gained weight last week and you want to have something to look at and see the evidence of where that weight came from. Your memory is NOT THAT GOOD.

At every 20 or so lbs. lost, measure and take pictures again. You need to see the progress visually. :wink: :flowerforyou:

Robin

Great advice! :bigsmile: I'd like to add: I actually think that it important to reward yourself for a "job well done." We spend entirely too much time worrying about and doing for others, so I think its important to do something for ourselves. Whether it be a new workout DVD, new clothes, massage, pedi/mani, or something more extravagant. It gives us something to look forward to and helps to keep us motivated. I used to reward myself every 10#, now I plan bigger and better rewards only after I reach a major milestone.

Grocery list pretty much ready, trying my hand at a baked penne pasta casserole using a low-carb pasta. I'm hoping it turns out good - the regular dish I make has over 50g of carbs and this one will have 17g of net carbs. I haven't had pasta is months and I can't bring myself to eat a dish with 50g of carbs. :grumble:

Now sitting here finishing my coffee trying to decide on what to do next, should get to the gym early. I need to do some weight training on my own today or tomorrow since the next session with my trainer isn't until Wednesday - I'm thinking today, then maybe tomorrow can be a rest day.

I hope everyone has a great day planned! I'm meeting friends for lunch later, I think our favorite pizza place (NY style) is on the menu - but I'm planning around it.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @kelley--when I'm really craving pasta, I also use low-carb variety (like Dreamfields) as well. I've never noticed any difference in the results. I also like to substitute quinoa for the pasta. It's still somewhat high in carbs, but at least the ratio of protein is higher. One of my new favorites last winter was quinoa "mac" and cheese. Yum! :happy: Ah, and as for gunner seeing bunnies--yes, it's definitely animals of some sort b/c it's always worse on garbage night. This week people forgot about the holiday Monday, so had their cans out early--that meant 2 nights of raccoons and opossums. :ohwell:

@robin & kelley--awesome advice for the newlings!! I'm going to add my .02 and say to invest in a food scale as one of your 1st rewards. Weighing my food made a huge difference (vs. using measuring cups and spoons) in making sure I was accurately tracking my calories. Another great reward "down the road" is a heart rate monitor or fitbit. Those are a bit pricier, so maybe put a buck or two in your piggy-bank for each pound you lose to save up for the purchase.

@elena--I'm a freak when it comes to making goal lists. :laugh: I put up an exercise schedule every week, and even though I may not meet it perfectly, it helps to ensure I don't skip it altogether. I also tend to keep a running list of grading goals throughout the school year (since I'm a teacher). Today, I want to get a bunch of cleaning done, so I will put up a chore list.

Cleaning Goals:
    1. wash throw rugs
    2. sweep floors
    3. vacuum area rugs
    4. dust living room
    5. clean bathroom
    6. water plants
    7. file paperwork
    8 clean off dining room table
    9. put shoes away (yes, I have a lot of shoes :blushing: )
    10. clean (or at least top off) fish tank
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    I forgot that one of my biggest goals for today was to switch out some of my summer "play" clothes for fall "work" clothes. Just went through and did that.

While I was at it, I had to try on some of my work slacks that I haven't worn since last spring. There was good news and bad news with that task. The bad news is, everything fit exactly the same--disappointing b/c I was hoping to be a bit slimmer. :grumble: I have about 5 pair of slacks that are "wearable" but would look better if they were just a tad looser. The good news is, everything fit exactly the same--good b/c I'm 5 lbs heavier than I was last spring. I hope that means my body composition is changing and I've built some muscle (rather than gained 5 lbs of fat).

Cleaning Goals:
    1. wash throw rugs (in progress)
    2. sweep floors
    3. vacuum area rugs
    4. dust living room
    5. clean bathroom
    6. water plants
    7. file paperwork
    9. put shoes away (yes, I have a lot of shoes) DONE
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just checking in...I feel like I can't keep up. But honestly I think it's an NSV that I don't sit for hours on end anymore, I just can't. I love when I get time to read up on all the posts, it's very motivating!

Saturday Success...I have NSVs to share. These are from the ballgame we went to last week. We always park in the same area and have a walk of several blocks to the stadium. We only go to about 1 game a year and I remember 2 years ago (circa 300+lbs.) the walk was unbearable and felt like an eternity to travel...last year (circa 240 lbs) the walk felt better. This year, the walk literally felt like a walk in the park. So much difference. I think next year I'll run it, just because I can LOL Then there are the dreaded stadium seats...oh yeah, I'm very happy to report no more embarrassment from spilling over the sides. I felt normal as I looked down and saw room on all sides of my booty.

Oh, and still no scale to weigh on...still trucking right along with no worries. It's quite freeing :)

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Kah and Skinny - thanks for adding your Tips for the Newbies - great additions!

PieSky - such great NSV's - isn't it a thrill when you can suddenly walk without getting that stitch in your side and huffing and puffing? I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Holy cow!! I can't check in 2 days and you guys are just going strong, which is AWESOME!! For a short week, it has felt sooo long. Week has been good for the most part. I met with the trainer twice since I'm out of town ALL next week. Yes, next week is my business trip to Poultry 101 at the University of Arkansas - Yee Haw! I then have a Butterball plant tour. I leave Monday at 6:00 a.m. and return Friday at 6:30 p.m. It's going to be long. I'm not too worried because I plan to use the hotel gym in the AM, but dinners every night out with my new classmates will be the challenge. I know I can make good choices. I say that after I just ate a STUPID freaking donut. It was really not worth it at all. So mad. Now I'm determined to go home and walk it off.

Have a great weekend ahead!!!

Susan

Susan - I can't imagine a WEEK of POULTRY without the outcome of being sick of chicken after that! I don't envy you at all! :sick: and the Butterball plant tour should be a real eye-opener as well. That donut might look pretty darn healthy in retrospect. I'm glad you only ate one! In fact, I'm REAL PROUD OF YOU! And you walked it off. Great job!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    The advice for the newbies is great! Perhaps I can add my .02, too. The exercise doesn't have to be exotic. I just walk. Since I cook for a family, portion control is my best friend. I don't want to cook differently for myself, so anything goes as long as it fits within my 1200 calories.
    NSV: I saw a friend at the grocery store this morning whom I hadn't seen for a long time. She was stunned. She asked where I had gone, and what I had done with myself. She was near tears. I have never seen anyone get so emotional over something like that. It really made me feel good.
    John--I'm so proud of you for keeping to your plan for "safe" travel. I can understand the Oreo dilemma. I hope that you really enjoy the hot air balloon ride.
    Have a great weekend. I have a goal to finish Sarah's afghan this weekend. I have so many other projects that I need to do, I need to get it finished.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Hi

Here is my .02 to add to RobinsEgg beginner guide. I wish I had started strength training when I started eating better and lost a bunch of weight. Just eating better got me some big losses but I lost a lot of muscle. I should have eaten more protein and worked out.

I just read in the AARP newsletter that after 40 years old your brain shrinks and that 150 minutes of cardio a week helps regenerate your brain so I got some new motivation for cardio ( my cardio is walking).

I did get my strength training in last night but not all my cardio (I must have forgot to finish due to brain shrinkage):wink::laugh:

Quote of the day:- “We must be the change we wish to see in the world.” ~Mahatma Gandhi

Hope you all have healthy weekends!

Tom
  • Lori0510
    Lori0510 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone - hope you're having a good weekend. I have to say, since I've been staying focused on what I'm eating and on walking every day, I can start feeling the changes in both my body and in my energy levels. I'm a bit sore, but I'm definitely beginning to feel stronger!!!

Great tips for newbies that Robin listed and others added to. Thanks to you all for sharing your tips! They are so helpful.

A funny story that just happened:

The other day at the grocery store I saw Tastycake pies on sale. I love the lemon ones. I bought a couple flavors for my kids' lunches and 1 lemon for myself. When I got home, I told my 2 teenage sons that the lemon was mine but they could have the others. ( They would have immediately eaten it if I didn't say that. lol). Anyway, since I brought it home, I have not had enough calories left in my day to eat it. But I've been obsessing over it. So I just told them that one of them needed to eat it today so that I didn't get tempted. OMG! They both immediately jumped up and RAN for the pie, then wrestled over it. My older son (16) is big and strong, my younger (14) is not as strong as his brother yet, but is quicker and more agile. In the end, they both ended up with about half, but it was hysterical watching them. HAHAHA. And now I don't even want it anymore.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends! Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?????
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi guys! Just taking a break from my cleaning. I ended up doing a bunch of odd little chores like replacing some light bulbs--cleaned the fixtures while I was at it.

@lori--I'm really excited for football season. It's one of the few sports I watch pretty religiously. However, I'm a bit disappointed that Matt Blanchard was released by the Bears after breaking a knuckle in a game a couple of weeks ago. He is a former student, and I was really hoping to see him play some more this year. Last year the Bears kept him on the practice team, and I was hopeful he would make 2nd or 3rd string quarterback this season. :ohwell:

@tom & kaye--also great tips you guys added! :flowerforyou:

@pie--nice NSV! :drinker:

@john--I missed commenting to you earlier. Congrats on maintaining your calm--I might have thrown those oreos right out the car window! Enjoy you hot air balloon ride. Although that sounds amazing, the thought of doing that scares me to death. Not sure why as I'm not afraid of heights--I would go zip-lining, para-sailing, probably even hang-gliding, but I don't think I could do the hot air balloon.

Cleaning Goals:
    1. wash throw rugs DONE
    2. sweep floors DONE
    3. vacuum area rugs
    4. dust living room
    5. clean bathroom DONE
    6. water plants
    7. file paperwork
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @ Newbies – welcome…you are right, this is a wonderful place with lots of support and ideas. You got some great suggestions already, I would add: You shouldn’t beat yourself up after a bad day or two. Don’t give up, each day is a new day and you don’t have to “start” on a Monday.

@kah – hop you have a fun lunch with friends.

@jtconst – Those essentials can really add up. My dad was that way too. Luckily, my husband does enough shopping that he doesn’t get sticker shock.

@Robin – glad your date went well enough to plan another. Nice!

@Susan – those stupid donuts get me on occasion too!

@Laurie – wow, nail polish that didn’t chip – name brand please!

@John – I hope you enjoyed/are enjoying your hot air balloon ride. As far as the Oreos…I just giggled with a mental picture. My husband once said to me, “Just have some self control and don’t eat them” I reminded him that he doesn’t have self control when it comes to smoking so he should be careful what he says. He’s much better now!!

@Eeyore – whoop whoop! 15 pounds…great job!

@kah – dang woman!! You rocked it!

@Karen – Yes, football season has started! While you are a Bears fan, I’m a born and raised (and tried to fight it for a while) Vikings fan. SKOL VIKINGS!!! Those lists of yours have motivated me. Here’s my To Do list for today:

1. Sleep in (it’s been weeks of being behind on sleep) DONE
    2. Clean kitchen DONE
    3. Plan this week’s meals
    4. Finish laundry (IN PROGRESS)
    5. Clean bathroom
    6. Sweep floors
    7. Wash floors
    8. Vacuum
    9. Play games with the kids

AFM – Yesterday I took a nap that lasted three hours and when I woke up, I felt a lot better. Then I enjoyed an evening at a Wine tasting party. I actually don’t like wine, so it’s the perfect way for me to behave with food/drink and still have a great time. I decided between sampling all the different wines, I only maybe had a glass and then a few slices of summer sausage and some fruit. Stayed under for the entire day!! Today, because I slept in, I will only end up with two meals and one of them is smelling so good – roast simmering in the crockpot all day with potatoes and gravy. YUMMM! Hope you all have a successful day.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Robin - I'm so happy for you and your successful date! I bought this sign today at an Antique Street Fair for myself and thought of you as well!

It's hanging on the 'fabric' side of my homemade cork board!
    9693956003_5e3301ae8c.jpg
    IMG_2352 by KrisMowBook, on Flickr
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hello again. I got sidetracked from my list b/c as I was trying to get to the vacuum in our "Hoarders" spare bedroom, I started rooting through stuff in there. I really just wanted to clear off my desk and found some cork-board squares I bought earlier this summer. I save all of my race-bibs and wanted someplace to hang them and there's an empty wall above the desk in that room. I ended up hanging the boards and filling them with my race souvenirs as well as my Tour de France swag. It looks really cute!

After that I went for a run with gunner and now I need to shower and get ready to go out with friends tonight. Another friend's band is playing nearby, so we're going to see them.

Guess I will have to vacuum and dust tomorrow morning. :ohwell:

Cleaning Goals:
    1. wash throw rugs DONE
    2. sweep floors DONE
    3. vacuum area rugs
    4. dust living room
    5. clean bathroom DONE
    6. water plants DONE
    7. file paperwork SOME
    8 clean off dining room table SOME
    10. clean (or at least top off) fish tank DONE
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say 'hi'. AFter a long hiatus, I'm back like a bad penny, fighting the good fight. Here I go again, starting over. IFeeling very positive and glad to read how motivated you all are. It's inspiring.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Newbies-welcome. To add to the advice, find something you love to do that will get you moving. It can be simple- walking, swimming, biking etc. You will be endurance the more you do it and you will enjoy the time.

John-Oreo's are evil and also one of my favorite cookies. Enjoy the balloon ride tomorrow.

tlh- It is gel nail polish from OPI. I had it done at a nail salon last weekend.

I am also a football fan so right now I am watching the Indiana vs. Navy game. Go Navy!!!! My NFL team is the Redskins. The good thing is I don't usually go the bars to the watch the games.

Tomorrow, I will try kayaking for the first time. I am very excited about this because it will add a new exercise to my list and it will be fun and a great reason to spend time on the water.
    I was successful in my food today- since the crab feast moved to a restaurant. I ended up ordering crab cakes instead of crabs (did not want to pick them today) and only ate 1 of the 2. It was an late lunch/early dinner so I did better than I thought today. Tomorrow will be a different challenge but hopefully, I will not overdo it.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    tih - that's another good suggestion for the newbies! I'm going to put everyone's suggestions together and save them in a document so I can post them occasionally - :bigsmile:
    Glad you got caught up on your sleep - enjoy your roast and gravy tonight - sounds yummy!

Mow - that sign is Hilarious! I love it - :love:

Skinny - thanks - by your posting of your Cleaning Goals I was spurred to vacuum 2 of my rooms and then did my squats, which I've neglected for several days - so MANY THANKS for the stimulus! :blushing:

Mel - welcome back - good to "see" you :flowerforyou: Its a great time to start anew !

Laurie - I envy you your kayaking event - it sounds like sooooo much fun! I've got it on my bucket list. Have a blast and I can't wait to hear about it :bigsmile:

Tonight - squats with 10 # weight - DONE