Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    How in the world am I supposed to get this thread to show up on my recent discussions?

@rbfdac(Rachelle)~Congrats on losing 40# so far, that’s great! You found a great, supportive thread. You can bookmark the thread, just click on the star at the top of the thread (the star will turn yellow)—then you’ll be able to access it from the star or the bell (notifications of new posts) in the upper right hand corner of the “communities” page.
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    WOW! This thread is going fast. I think I have read all the posts at least. Keep on keepin' on everyone.

@Lauriek WOW! Those projects sound fascinating. I however never considered the use of technology and the way it adds to teacher's burden. No wonder you get worn out!

@Mrsmorgori Amy, the flowers are gorgeous. They remind me of our wedding so long ago. We all carried lilies, the bridesmaids pink and me white. They were so pretty...and we were all so young and slim~~ LOL

@Tom Love the quote today. It hits home especially in regard to this MFP endeavor. Thanks. I printed it out. I am skipping the cookies though, at least for now.

@Grammy Marsha, get well. This is not a good time to be sick...not sure when is a good time, but certainly not now. Sorry you trip didn't turn out as you had hoped.

@‌Kaye I hope you are recovered Kaye.

@Robin I hope you can get the sewing machine figured out. Mine did that for a while and that is frustrating to say the least. DH helped by carrying it to the repair guy. Never appreciated that I didn't have to lift it. I guess I should thank him.

AFM: Only lost 1/2 pound last week. I was a bit disappointed, but it is a loss so I will take it. I had lunch with my book group yesterday so totally lost track of calories then, though I don't think I did too badly. It was pot-luck so who knows quite what is in the food...I guessed.

Truth: I am not doing the best with my calories under goal all the time, but it sure is better than it normally would be. I must just remember this is a "stairway and I must climb it one step at a time" each and every day.

Thanks everyone for being here.
    Barbara aka mountmary
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    @kah68‌ -- I click the star, but it just says "you have no bookmarks"--- any advice?
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Oh, I figured it out!!! Silly me :)
  • lleecc
    lleecc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @Tanya - love that post, especially the part about comparing ourselves to others. Nothing good ever comes from doing that. I know, because I struggle with that all the time.

@Robin - I've played hand bells for 25 years and love it! We play year-round, not just at the holidays.

I have had a tough week in terms of my All In Goals. I have stayed away from the obscene amount of treats and sweets in our faculty lounge and even declined pizza at several class parties; however, I have indulged in some of my Ranch Pretzels and can tell that the salt does a number on my weight loss. I've got to remember to take it one day at a time!

• maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    @kah: TY for vote of confidence!
    @GrammyWham: Congrats on the awesome weight loss....sorry you aren't feeling up to par.

Having success getting goals met. Cardio is going up in levels, strength training going up in reps/weight lifted, etc. Need to manage munchies better. Will work on that this weekend (as far as planning healthy yummies...) Keep on keeping on....
    Take care,
    Mara

• Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Karen- developing lessons using technology are always a challenge and finding the time to teach them is even worse. In my science curriculum we typically have 5 days built in to an extended lab where we work on the basic science skills. Usually we use that time to catch up on content to make sure the kids understand. However this unit came at the best time and the kids got the material plus with the holidays we did not want to start something new. So we used the time to expand the kids knowledge while providing an extension activity for the content. We did have some help from the Language arts teachers who did a similar project earlier this year and taught the technology for Movie Maker. It is also amazing how much the kids can figure out on their own. I must admit that we will only have 3 weeks to complete the next unit but it is on energy transfer so not to difficult. That is the draw back of doing a project.

Researching in the classroom is also time consuming especially when you need to track down the carts of books. I also understand about the students being needy. It appears that there ability to think things through is lacking especially in terms of research and creativity. Good luck with your research projects. Your holiday break is only 1 day away.

lleec- Can you make the ranch pretzels using unsalted pretzel or low salt? I have been avoiding the teacher lounge this week but mainly due to being exhausted by lunch or only having 10 minutes to eat a quick bite. Good job avoiding those foods.

Marsha- Hope you get well soon. Costco is a great idea for the party. They have a great selection of items- including mini- cheesecakes, finger foods and desserts.

Kelley- Thanks for the update on Susan.

Truth-I am starting to do better and it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders since the projects are just about done. My department chair will be taking the students who are not finished tomorrow. Another group will be taking the test they missed last week and the rest will be watching a movie. Then on Monday and Tuesday we will view the videos the kids made. I also removed the triathlon from my agenda and that lessoned the burden of training and getting in the physical activity.

Yesterday, I would have lost my head if it wasn't attached to my shoulder's. By the time I left work yesterday, I was exhausted but did go shopping after a stop at Star Buck's. Then went to Walmart and meet my trainer at the gym and finally picked up dinner. By the time I and reached home about 8pm, I started unpacking the grocery bags and realized that the one thing I was sent to get was not among the bags. I left it at the store-grumble-- :( luckily, I did not need to go back and get it last night. That was today's trip and all was replaced without question. After eating dinner, I unpacked my gym bag and I was missing a climbing shoe. I knew I had repacked it after climbing but could not find it. This morning I called the gym but they had not found it, my trainer searched for it and I looked again when I got there. When I came home tonight I found my shoe, it was stuck between the bed and the chair. All I can do now is laugh but I am happy that all the mishaps from yesterday have been fixed and all is well again.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

@laurie--glad you're feeling better and less stressed. At our school they are really pushing us to integrate technology as we implement our 1:1 initiative. Unfortunately, they haven't given the teachers enough training, and even when they do I'm not sure how to fit in the time it takes to teach the students the skills. I almost feel like the kids need to be in technology classes every year where experts teach them to use all of the apps, programs, etc. so we can just implement it without giving up precious class time away from our content areas. Not sure how that would work though, given how quickly it changes from year to year and even month to month. A few years ago Edmodo was all the rage, now we are moving to a different platform called Canvas, and in a year or two I'm sure that will be obsolete. And regardless of all of that, at the end of the day, my primary responsibility is to teach reading analysis and writing skills that they can use with any technology.

@kelley--thanks for the update on susan. I'm planning to text her this weekend just to say hi.

Welcome rachelle and hello to everyone else!

Thursday Truth:
    I'm exhausted but I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve b/c tomorrow is my last day before break.

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 17/18 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 4/18 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. 65/66 AP essays
    2. x/16 analysis activities
    3. x/66 Tone tests

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs--meeting
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody.

Happy Underdog Day!
    Honour the world’s greatest unsung heroes, runners up and unlikely winners who have pulled off the unexpected on Underdog Day! For those that may not know, an “underdog” is a person in a competition or other event who is popularly expected to lose or fail. The individual expected to win is called the favorite or top dog.
    The History of Underdog Day
    Originally, an underdog was a shipbuilder who stood in a dark pit and helped to saw planks of wood from beneath whilst the overdog, a supervisor of sorts, sawed the planks from above. The underdog got all dirty and covered in sawdust, yet the overdog got all of the credit for the hard work carried out. The first recorded uses of the term occurred in the second half of the nineteenth century; its first meaning was “the beaten dog in a fight”. An “underdog bet” was a bet on the underdog for which the odds were always considerably higher.
    Established by Peter Moeller in 1976, Underdog Day is the time to honour all of life’s unrecognised hard-workers.
    Nowadays, the underdog character has become quite popular in pop culture, from Forrest Gump to The Karate Kid. Famous unlikely winners, such as Britain’s Got Talent’s Susan Boyle or Paul Potts have also been especially liked for their underdog status. In fiction, some famous underdog winners include characters like Rocky Balboa or William Wallace in Braveheart–despite the rather thin or simply unlikely plots of both of these movies, they have both become cult classics, proving the status of the underdog character. In fact, mankind has always rooted for the underdog. Perhaps there is something central to the human experience that means we all feel a bit like our lives consist of collecting the sawdust of life, and so we dream about the prospect of one day emerging from this filthy, splintery mess victorious.It would seem that people find it much easier to identify with the imperfect underdogs whose accomplishments often go unnoticed than the heroes everyone talks about and revers. It is hard to identify with the perfect, infallible characters who always know exactly what they’re doing and make no mistakes, the simple reason for this being that that’s not what reality looks like. Nobody is perfect, so seeing people being presented as such can actually make us dislike them. And the truth is that a lot of those heroes would not be who they are, and would not have achieved what they’ achieved, if it wasn’t for their humble sidekicks, the underdogs. Imagine Batman without Robin, or Sherlock Holmes without Watson. Not quite the same, right?
    How to Celebrate Underdog Day
    One of the best ways to celebrate underdog day is to get together with friends and watch some movies that have famous underdogs in them, like the aforementioned Karate Kid, any of the Rocky movies, or Sherlock Holmes. Alternately, you could throw a fancy dress party where each of the participants has to dress up as a famous underdog, like Batman’s Robin, Robinson Crusoe’s man Friday,Forrest Gump, or Kung Fu Panda. Or perhaps Michael Jordan, if you can growl out his famous 2008 quote, “I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed” anywhere close to as well as he did, sending shivers down the spines of everyone who has ever not tried something for fear of failure.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” ~Theodore Roosevelt

Tom
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hi all ... I have been reading the posts but haven't reported in every day ... though today was a good one to do it as it's Friday and I've been looking at my fitness goals for the coming year when I rejoin the local Y.

Welcome all the newbies and returnees ... this time of year is a great time to start renewing our health goals. Having renewed ourselves to our goals we can face the Holiday festivities and additional foods with renewed resolve to at least not gain weight before the year flips over to 2015.

I hope everyone who has been unwell is on the road to recovery or already there. The flu season has hit my area, like it probably has yours as well. That's one good reason to do year-end shopping early or on-line! This is the time of year when I don't want to eat in a restaurant, go through a drive-through even for coffee, or shake hands ... I like that fist bump that's healthier for us.

Calories under goal ... 16/18 (goal is 28/31)
    All-in challenge ... the housework is coming along but slower than I want. Probably should take my sisters advise and clean first thing in the morning instead of spending that time at my computer. However, it's eating time and I'll be off for the rest of the day after I post this.

So on to Friday Fitness ...
    I plan to rejoin the local Y on January 2nd. My current plan ... still kind of a work in progress but I think this might be the one ... 3 days a week at the gym between Monday and Friday.
    For January ... One day open swim, one day walk the track, one day ride the eliptical bike.
    For February ... Add in 2 days of strength/resistance training ... probably the easiest to do will be the weight machine circuit. Try skipping/jogging part of the track.
    For March ... I'm thinking I'll switch to bar bells and kettle balls instead of the weight machines, and probably drop something from the cardio side as I should be spending a lot more time outside spring cleaning my grounds and walking the neighborhood ... we'll see.

Also, I still do my morning calisthenics ... 1 or 2 reps depending on what's cooking in the microwave. I do stand up planks, toe touches, walking in place, squats in circuit for 1 minute each with no break from one routine to the next. Then I break for 30 seconds and do it again. That won't change, but I do plan to move to the mat on the floor for some new ones during January.

Weekend food preparation ... I am going to prepare a pot of Russian Fish Soup from that salmon skeleton that's defrosting in my fridge. There is also a chicken breast waiting for me to mince it up so I can make chicken cutlets that will be served with some potato and broccoli.

If any one is interested in the recipes, let me know and I'll either message them to you or post on here.

TGIF to every person who has a job to come home from.
    Niki
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!
    It sure sounds like you all are staying busy!! And some of you are so swamped, you might not even manage a reply. Teaching elementary school has its busy-ness...but this is such a joyful time of years for the littlest kids....it is very contagious. I love being near them especially when Christmas is near.
    @LaurieK: I like when things wrap up too...that feeling of accomplishment and renewal. A lot of jobs don't have that opportunity...a definite perk...
    @SkinnyJeans: Enjoy your break...sleep in tomorrow before you have to ramp it up again....
    @Morgori: Thanks for the info @ Underdog Day....I didn't read that until I was already at school, so can't incorporate that....Love the information, though.
    @Niki: It sounds like you are going to be on fire...sounds like a great fitness plan.
    Take care, and rock your days!!
    Mara

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Laurie - geez, things really went wrong for you the other night when you were so hectically busy! There was no choice but to laugh though! You told it so well, I felt the same frustration!
    I have the bad habit of waiting til the end of the nite to do my post here. Last night I had, what I thought was a beautiful and thoughtful post full of personals, full of charming insights of course, and all the fal-der-all I usually come up with. Well, I fell asleep while writing it - here in my recliner - it was after a very long and busy night like yours, (but not with all the frustrations), and sometime, I did wake up enough to turn off the lights and the computer, so I lost the entire post! :o
    The only one I can remember was to AMY - commenting on her chocolates and stargazer lilies, I said: You lucky >:) !

So I'm just gonna do this page with personals now, as I've had another hectic day and have just got home and still need to get dinner and finish several chores. The weekend is already here and I have lots to do tomorrow and Sunday is my family Christmas. My siblings and I are meeting for breakfast at our favorite restaurant. We don't exchange presents but I always, always give my sister Moe a box of Russell Stover Chocolates and her my 2 brothers some food items. I hope to give them some sugar cookies I make and I am going to try a non-yeast Cinnamon Swirl Bread (it uses Greek Yogurt instead) that is supposed to be easy.

@Mara - so nice to hear you enjoy your kids - is it fourth grade I think you once said or younger? Sounds like they really give you joy - how wonderful!

@Niki - love your exercise plans for the new year. You definitely have the planner gene. Yes, I'd be interested in the chicken recipe you mentioned. OK to message me or post.

@Tom - i hadn't heard the Underdog story before. I enjoyed it so much I copied it into my Inspiration file, so I will read it again.

@Skinnie - happy your break is starting!

@lleecc - glad your avoiding most of the temptations - now whats this with the "Ranch" pretzels? I remember you mentioning them before....do you make them yourself?

@rbfdad -Rachel - welcome! Nice to have you here. You have done a great job so far! Only 60 lbs to go - wonderful. You will fine nice nice people here - great, friendly people. As I'm sure you've already found out! Any specific plans on getting thru the holidays?

@Kah - Kelley - have you gotten any more test results back? I'm hoping all are OK!
    Thanks for all the recipes. I feel much more confident. I haven't done the peanut butter ones yet, but I did buy the PB today, and made a mistake and bought Almond Milk instead of Almond Butter - so will have to run to the store real quick tomorrow and exchange that.
    Cookie baking is on the agenda tomorrow.

• RobinsEgg
    Options
    @Hansea - WOOT on your loss - thats so wonderful!

@lleecc - I just saw the info on Pinterest for the recipe for the Ranch Pretzels. I'll look for it.

@Tanya - I'm so happy to hear you sang spontaneously - glad to hear the happy days are back again. Also your going to someone different, and planning on a new doctor in the new year. Your neck has been problematic for so darn long. A second opinion would be so helpful. I did enjoy what your posted. I'm going to save it. Makes good sense to be reflective like that!

@Kah - thanks for the update on Susan. I do feel bad that she had to go immediately to work upon arrival there. Now, here dear friend has passed as well. Such a sad event for her. So much pressure on her. I'll drop her a note.

@jtconst - happy holidays!

@grammywhammy - so glad to see you again! Been missing you - wait a sec - flu and pneumonia - are you trying to show off? :D Just kiddin' - really feel bad - its awful when you can't breathe or eat! And so weak to boot! I agree with the other suggestion - to call Costco and see what platters they can do and let them do it all - and have one of the men go pick it up. Boy, and have them buy a box of Assorted Tea flavors and treat yourself to at least Something Special that way! Celestial Seasons makes an assortment of decaf Berry flavored teas that is very nice and Earl Gray makes an assortment of English and Scottish black teas that my neighbor really likes.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Happy Holidays in case you are lurking - I miss all of you - Hope to see you in 2015 !
    -
    @Mow Mow
    @Naomi Fitcock
    @‌Bohemian Coast
    @naceto‌
    @tih1972‌
    @Susan-
    and of course, my inspiration, Gorilla!

And so many, many more whose names are on my friends list forever but fail me now!
    Will post this before I fall asleep again
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    A good day and very easy since the kids watched a movie or finished up past assignments which made my life easy.

Karen- That is the problem with new technology since it changes constantly. Since all your kids have 1:1 technology they could explore the apps on their own. You would be amazed at how quickly they pick up the new programs. Edmodo was popular here and our kids do have an account but I don't use it. I don't have the time to deal with it and not all my students have internet access. Many of the students learn by doing instead of having it explained to them.

Like Robin I am about ready to fall asleep tonight. I hope everyone has a great weekend and good luck with the final preps for the holidays. I know I will be shopping this weekend, wrapping, baking cookies, writing cards and going to the post office.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @laurie--glad you had an easy day to finish out the week. Our school isn't at 1:1 yet. All of the 9th and 10th graders have iPads, but not all of my students (11th and 12th grade). Next year all of my juniors will have them and the following year we will be completely 1:1. That's also part of the problem--I can't assume my kids have a tablet (though some do for other specific courses. It's very frustrating to say the least.

@robin--thanks! I'm also happy to be on break and looking forward to catch up on some sleep. :smile:

@niki--great fitness plan! The Y will likely be crowded the first few weeks due to all of the resolutions people make. Don't let it discourage you from sticking with it--many others will quit and then you'll have the run of the place. :wink:

@mara--one of the aspects of teaching that I absolutely LOVE is that we get to start fresh every year. :smile:

AFM--got a few gifts from my students--mostly goodies, so I ended up well over calories today. I have one day left which I'm saving for Christmas dinner, so I need to be really good all of the other days in December to meet my challenge goal.

Friday Fitness:
    Only one day at the gym this week, but I can now amp it up for the next 2 weeks. Tomorrow I have a hair appointment right in the middle of the day. I may get to the gym beforehand, but at the moment I feel like I could sleep until noon tomorrow, so I may wait until Sunday to go.

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 17/19 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 4/19 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. 65/66 AP essays
    2. x/16 analysis activities
    3. x/66 Tone tests

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs--meeting
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.

Happy Go Caroling Day

Date When Celebrated : Always December 20
    Go Caroling Day is a wonderful, rewarding, and memory filled day. By far more popular decades ago, Christmas holiday caroling is a great opportunity to enjoy the holiday and appreciate its meaning.
    Christmas caroling remains popular in many area and among many groups. Scouts and youth groups often partake in this special musical event. Even family parties and business parties sometimes produce an impromptu caroling event.
    It may take a little planning to make your Christmas Caroling happen. For example, scout groups frequently go caroling to nursing homes and senior citizen centers. A phone call to the facility management to arrange a date and time is a must. Transportation to/from the facility also must be arranged. And, afterwards, a caroling event is often topped off with hot chocolate and cookies.
    We hope you enjoy Go Caroling Day to its fullest today!

“A strong positive attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.” ~Patricia Neal

Tom
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi guys! The Tunnel 2 Towers race Laurie, Susan, and I ran in September just posted a highlights video. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS5xtuX49CI&feature=youtu.be

I'll be back later tonight with a full post. Off to the gym.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    wk985mjrje6o.jpg

@Robin ... here is that chicken cutlet recipe. It is made with ground chicken breast.

Chicken Kotleti
    Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 15 minutes Total Time 25 mins

You can double the ingredients to make a larger batch.
    Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
    Skill Level: Easy- Medium
    Cost To Make: $8-$10

Serving: 15 kotleti

Ingredients
    1 lb ground chicken
    1 cup Panko bread crumbs
    ½ cup milk
    2 tbsp sour cream
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp pepper
    1 egg
    1 small onion (grated)
    ½ cup flour for dredging
    Olive oil or canola oil to sautee

Instructions
    1. Combine 1 cup of breadcrumbs with ½ cup of milk, let them stand for 5 minutes.
    2. Add chicken, 2 tbsp sour cream, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, 1 egg and 1 onion to the bread mix & stir together.
    3. Using wet hands make oval patties than dredge both sides in flour.
    4. Place patties in the preheated nonstick skillet with 2-3 tbsp of oil. Cover and cook until golden on both sides, 5 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the next. Add more oil as needed.

Recipe by NatashasKitchen.com at http://natashaskitchen.com/2012/08/16/chicken-kotleti-you-will-dream-about-recipe/

PS ... in the attached photo you see a plate of the kotleti with a side dish of cooked buckwheat. I'd have this with a pickle spear or a cucumber and tomato salad.

If you decide to make this recipe, let me know how you liked it. Note ... you can also cut this recipe in half and only make enough to feed 4 instead of 8.

I have a nutritional breakdown for a 96 gram serving.
    100 calories, 2 g Total Fat, 81 mg cholesterol, 384 mg sodium 202 mg pottasium, 5 g Total carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 1 g sugar, 15 g protein.

Vitamin A 2% Vitamic C 3% Calciium 4% Iron 4%
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    A bit of excitement here today. At around noon I sent DH to the hospital in an ambulance. He was having chest pains and this time I decided I was NOT going to drive him. HE has a history of heart trouble; this came on rather suddenly this AM after no real exertion. So far all the test are negative. He will be spending the night and is to be stressed in the AM. He was hungry when I left and had just been allowed to order some food and was also wondering if he would see the football game (Packers) tomorrow. Somehow, those sound like good signs.

AFM: I am okay. Probably a little stressed, but I am home for the night comfortable that he is in a good place.

Thanks for listening.
    B