Merry Christmas Everyone.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone! <3
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Robin- I will post a few pictures in a little while of all the Christmas Gardens. Are you looking for a snowman?

Tom- I love the holiday pictures for the holidays.

Cblue- you new kitty reminds me of my first cat as a kid. Same pattern of strips, her name was Spicey.

I hope everyone had a terrific day. Christmas was fun with my niece this year. She has a new toy a Mini-mouse choo-chool train that she can sit on and push with her feet. It plays music and all kinds of things.
  • debfoley79
    debfoley79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i am brand new to this group; i have been on my fitness pal off and on for years. i am trying to be on more than off now though. i started out at 387...a staggering realization every time i see that number. currently at 248-ish lol and on a plateau that just won't quit. looking forward to thoughts and ideas of others about plateau-crushing, fear-banishing success.
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    Robin pictures of the gardens.

ab0ktr0cuy0x.jpg

ugurdwyz4f7y.jpg

5qd2roof4414.jpg

kcs8r1liohum.jpg

pjljpi3z6kio.jpg

The garden under the tree is hard to see since it lines up with the window and it is hard to get a good photo of the garden due to lighting.

I am up for trip this year as well. If we are heading South, then we need to consider the time of year we go unless we want to deal with high heat and humidity. I will look up a few events to see what is available.
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    For those who are interested in taking a trip next year to do an event together. I did check out the website for Running in the USA and there are several races in the Savanna-Charleston area. Including a Tunnel to Towers run and a Hero's run both would occur in September. There are earlier races as well if we wanted to try for a long weekend in the Spring. I will also keep checking the Travis Manion Foundation website. I did their Hero's run this past year in September and had a blast.

If anyone knows of a good run event please let us know. We are looking for a fun place to visit and run for a cause.
  • loosaedna
    loosaedna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well went over my calories but I feel okay with it because it is Christmas, Had a good day with my family. Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you all had a wonderful day.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone!!

Love, love, love all of the pictures you all are posting. Very festive!

Thursday Truth:
    I ate way too many calories today!! I logged as best I could and am almost 1200 calories over--that's nearly 3000 calories. I don't feel bad though b/c, as edna said, it's Christmas.

On the plus side, I managed a quick gym visit yesterday before going to the SIL's for dinner. We had a nice time there visiting. After dinner we watched American Hustle which I really enjoyed. I thought it was really funny and the acting was great. I especially liked Jennifer Lawrence's performance.

This morning, DH and I slept in a it and then watched Dallas Buyers Club. Another really good movie. Matthew McConaughey was almost unrecognizable--I can't imagine how much weight he must have lost for that role. And Jared Leto--all I can say is WOW. Not surprising that both of those gentlemen won Oscars for their performances.

This afternoon we went to my sister's. We had a yummy dinner, but my niece has been sick with a nasty cold, so she was very cranky. At first she just didn't want to see anyone and stayed in her bedroom or the kitchen with her mom. She did manage to come out and visit with us a bit and we even played some with her new kitchen that Santa brought her. I didn't really get any good pictures of her though b/c she wasn't in the mood to pose for us. Hopefully, she will be better in a few days and we can go visit the Lincoln Park Zoo's annual Zoo Lights display.

Cleaning Goals:
    1. sweep/vacuum entire house Kitchen DONE
    2. clean off dining room table DONE(ish)
    3. file paperwork/bills
    4. wash throw rugs HALF DONE and bedding in spare bedroom
    5. vacuum couch (under all cushions)
    6. drop off bag of clothes to GW

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 22/25 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 7/25 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. x/66 Tone tests
    2. x/67 AP essays
    3. x/13 Scarlet Letter essays

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Fri--walk gunner + gym
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Who knew so many people would be dropping in on a holiday! Merry Christmas for those that celebrate. The boys are both doing good. The older one is missing China, but adjusting well. The younger one is very happy to be in a family again. His health has suffered a lot, but he's doing much better now after multiple hospital stays and it a surgery to install a port under the skin in his chest to make transfusions easier.

I'm with you, Susan. Let's wave goodbye to these stress pounds!

We are all good Robin. Thanks for asking! We are loving the big family life.

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @kah68 French Onion Soup … one of my all-time favorites. The best bowl I ever had was in 1978 in Utica, New York at a little restaurant I happened upon. I’ve compared every bowl I’ve had since then to the memory of the taste of it.

@Robinse I’ve been thinking about your New Years Resolution idea of choosing a Personal Word to connect to a habit we want to build. I’m trying to find one word for ‘follow through’ for myself and so far the only one that resonates is ‘finish’ … but it’s not resonating beautifully. I’ll keep searching my soul for one because I really like your idea.

@cblue A new kitty name Niki … I feel like I have a namesake. I love the pattern on Niki’s coat.

@kah68 Your Zoe and my Kitcat have something in common. He has Maine Coon lineage. My boy is 17 years old now and I feel his rope is running out of length. Your Zoe’s face is beautiful … reminds me a lot of my Strawberry’s face.

AFM …
    Daily calorie challenge: 22/25 (goal is 28/31)
    ALL IN: All I can say is I’m fortunate that there is one week left to this month. I need every hour of it.

Friday Fitness: I’ll get my physical activity in today just cleaning up the mess I made in my study/office making the candy sleighs and wrapping gifts because I do believe it will take a couple of hours of constant movement to make a dent.

From the posts I’ve read it sounds like everyone who posted had a nice Christmas . I enjoyed my Christmas Eve family celebration and left when the young ones started their board games. Good thing I left when I did because we had some really strong winds, rain and lightning right after I got home.

On Christmas Day I slept in, had a relaxing day at home and made chili for supper.

Like Grandmakay says … “Onward and Downward”
    Niki

(edited for typos)
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Happy Friday everyone,

Welcome all new people. You have found a very supportive group. Check in often.

Sounds like everyone who has posted had a nice holiday. That is great.

BIG NEWS! The sun I is shining! I was beginning to wonder if it was still up there. It has been way too gloomy, misty, foggy here the past few weeks. Hurray for sunshine!

Robins’s word for the year has me thinking too. What a great suggestion Robin (Ellen) I keep trying out different ones; tenacity, grateful, gracious….and the list goes on. I am sure you all are doing similar things.

AFM: Christmas went well. I am sure I went over on calories, but I didn’t count. Everyone enjoyed the homemade gifts and there were some beauties. We will do that again next year. I was amazed at the creativity of everyone. My 16 year old granddaughter knit me a beautiful scarf. I didn’t know she knit; I am not sure she knew she knit until she did this. The cookbook was such a hit it is being copied and passed around, so I will need a new idea for next year.

As for exercise, I made 7,000,000 trips around the kitchen. That must count for something. I think I am going to treat myself to a new pedometer so I know just how many steps I am taking. (When I got the old one out and wore it for a day I ended up with 147 steps for the day! Somehow I think I moved more than that!)

Back at it today. I hope I don’t find too many “dangerous” high calorie leftovers in the frig when I do some serious looking in there. The kids tend to leave them for us to use/eat. I know there is some dip I don’t need, but I think DH likes it.

I want to thank you all for getting me through this holiday season with an actual loss rather than a gain. We don’t do much for New Years so the danger is pretty much over.

December Challenge:

Calories under goal: 21/25
    Salad a day: I have lost track.
    Exercise: Dismal

Thanks every one of you for being here.

Barbara
    Mountmary84
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Below, my daughter and me.
  • NK1112
    Options
    beautiful picture Barbara
  • loosaedna
    loosaedna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Getting fit right now i'm not doing any exercise but walking around the house, Today is another day and my diet is starting back up. Christmas was okay I at least had my family and that is what counts. Maybe someone can help me I see many people putting numbers like 28/31 what do these mean can someone explain this to me.

@Barbara I love the photos they are very nice.

@tootsanderson I am glad your boys are doing well.

@skinnyjeanzbound Even though you said you went over the calories at least you got exercise done that helps with the weight loss too.

@debfoley79 Welcome to the group I think you will find it very helpful and they are very inspiring.
  • NK1112
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @loosa ...
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    @Maram and @Newbies - this is for you for January 2015 - this is our Monthy Challenge:
    - I recommend that you copy and paste this into a document on your PC or MAC. as it is hard to find after a couple of pages go by... :p

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    MONTHLY “ALL IN” CHALLENGE for JANUARY 2015:

The First Goal is the Calorie Challenge. Each person is challenged to stay under (or within 100 calories of) their MFP recommended daily calories. We hope everyone posts their tally the following way: if you are successful for 10 days out of your first 11 days of the month you’d write it like this: daily calorie challenge: 10/11. You are also allowed some days off, if you choose, ie. A family birthday, holiday, etc.

The Second Goal is "ALL IN" - in whatever capacity you choose. Put all your effort in this.
    If you choose Exercise- give it your all, if you choose Organizing your house, give it Your ALL., Whatever you choose to work on, Drinking Water, give it YOUR ALL!

And be sure to tell us what you're WORKING ON in your posts! Thanks!

Please copy this post to a document on your personal computer! Thanks, Robin

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

it was a page back from where your current post appeared. (page 626 of 627 pages) I think it's also on page 1 of this thread ... but it does get lost in the shuffle of posts, so the suggestion to copy it is a good one.

Do you understand the way we report our calories? If not, please give a holler.
    Niki

PS ... dang-it-all .... I have to keep editing for typing errors .... my fingers must be getting lost on the keyboard.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hey guys! Happy Boxing Day!

@edna--I hope niki's repost of the challenge helped clarify. I have my calorie challenge set to 28/31 b/c that's my goal for the month--to eat at or under my calorie allowance 28 of the 31 days in December. Then I just track where I"m at currently--so today I'm at 23/26 days.

@barbara--glad the cookbook went over well. Years ago, my aunt put together a cookbook of all of my grandmother's recipes. I cherish it even though I rarely cook. Love the picture of you and your daughter!

@robin--I'm thinking about my word for next year. Such a big decision.

AFM--Lazy day after Christmas. I slept pretty late then putzed around putting away gifts. Afterwards I went to the gym, and now I'm at starbucks getting ready to tackle those tone tests while DH is home making Italian beefs for dinner.

Friday Fitness:
    Well I'm glad to report that I went to the gym today and ran a 5k--I think tomorrow will be nice enough to run outside, so that will be a December treat. I've decided I will run my 8k next Wed. I have plans on Mon. and Tues. which will mean 2 rest days in a row. That will be the perfect set-up for a good run on Wed. Today's 5k was well within the pace I need to finish the 8k in 56 minutes or less, so I'm hopeful I will make my goal

Cleaning Goals:
    2. clean off dining room table DONE
    3. file paperwork/bills

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 23/26 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 8/26 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. x/66 Tone tests
    2. x/67 AP essays

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Fri--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to participate in this group and to do the January challenge! :D
    Starred. :star:
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    What a great thread!! :)
  • slimbluehen
    slimbluehen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lovely day today with the sun returning after being AWOL for so long.

To be truthful, I overdid things on Christmas Eve with ice cream and pumpkin pie, but considering previous years, these were moderate indiscretions. Still I beat myself up over the ice cream 'cause it scares me that I will never change.

Today, back to healthy eating.

My big goals for the day were to get all the laundry done and put away and clean out one of the kitchen closets. Got both done but feel I could have accomplished more if I didn't take so many 'time-outs.'

Tomorrow, I just have to get out and do some cardio - don't want to let myself slack off more than a day.

Deb and EAK - welcome. I am pretty new as well. Just jump in and start posting!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @slimblue--I already forgot your real name, but I will get it eventually. Don't let indulging for one day scare you. You've already changed by acknowledging that it was a one day thing and by getting right back to the healthier eating. At the start of this journey I read a really great article about the difference in how fat and thin people think. One of the differences was that thin people are never afraid of food. They indulge occasionally without fear or regret, and then move right back to their "normal" eating patterns.

Thin people also don't fear going hungry. This one really, really resonated with me personally. I was one of those people who would think--"oh, I'm going shopping for the afternoon and might miss lunch; I'd better eat before I go" even if I wasn't hungry or had just finished breakfast an hour before. This is definitely a learned behavior--my mother still talks like this all the time. She'll try to get me to eat when I'm not hungry just b/c "it might be a while" before I can eat again. As a kid, I dutifully listened and ate. Now, when she says such things, I laugh and say, "Yeah, god forbid I miss a meal--I might waste away." Now I eat when I'm hungry, and if some activity interferes with a meal or a snack, I get a little hungry. So what? It's not like I'm actually going to starve to death if I have to wait a bit to eat.

@EAK--welcome!

AFM--finished one set of tone tests! Yay!! Now I'm off to the grocery store to pick up a few odds and ends, then home for dinner. :smile:

Cleaning Goals:
    2. clean off dining room table DONE
    3. file paperwork/bills

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 23/26 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 8/26 (goal is as much as possible)

Grading Goals:
    1. 25/66 Tone tests
    2. x/67 AP essays

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Fri--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Sat--walk gunner + gym