Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @LaurieK Fantastic motivating post! I am going to copy it and paste it somewhere so I can refer to it. It is just the thing I needed just now.

And that leads to the word I am deciding on. I keep going back to "tenacity" and I think that is it. I want to do this weight loss journey and it will take some tenacity to stick it out for the long haul. I tried it out today on a short walk with DH...it was beautifully sunny here in Wisconsin as Lori (cblue) commented this morning. It was a challenge, but I made it. Also, I ordered a pedometer today so will be soon tracking steps...the old one just simply died.

Sunday Share: I am Barbara (mountmary), I am 71and I joined this thread around Halloween this year. These terrific people got me through the holidays with a loss, not a great loss, but a loss and I am so pleased not to be up through that time period. I lost 8 pounds and made it back to my ticker! Just now there are a few holiday leftovers that need to go so I don't get into them...I will give DH a few more days with them before they hit the trash.

To all the returning and new people here. Welcome. You have found a wonderful group. Join in the conversation and keep coming back.

December Challenge:
    Calorie goal: 23/28
    Exercise goal: One short walk today
    A salad a day goal: I lost track.

Thanks everyone for being there. Special thanks to Laurie today!
    Barbara (mountmary)
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Sorry about Kit Kat...they don't live long enough.

Working on exercise this week.

My knees are really bad. I don't bother to go to the doctor, they will look at me, and tell me to lose weight. Problem with exercising, when your knees are bad...but I will do what I can...
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

@laurie--great post!! Can you believe it's been 4 years!?!? My 4-year MFP anniversary is approaching in March--some days it seems like yesterday, and others like a lifetime ago.

@barbara (mountmary)--I love that word! I am glad to say most of the sweets are now gone from my house. There is still the plate of cookies that my neighbor made, but they really aren't tempting me. My most tempting item is a bottle of Gressy that I just finished tonight. It's a cream liquor similar to Bailey's that I got while in Punta Cana this summer. It came free with our room, so I brought it home and saved it for the holidays. Luckily it was a small bottle.

@mknits--welcome!

@softblonde--I hate it when doctors tell you to "lose weight" to fix a medical condition. As much as weight loss will help your knees, a good doctor will not dismiss you with that advice alone. Perhaps you can get a referral to a physical therapist to help you learn what exercises to do to not aggravate your knees. Depending upon your medical insurance, you may have that benefit. My HMO includes something like 40 hours of PT/ calendar year. That way you can work with a trainer on form and doing exercises that will build up muscles to take pressure off your knees while you are in the process of losing the weight.

@robin--what an epiphany! I firmly believe so many of our weight issues come from childhood. I love my mother, but she "mothers" by feeding. Even now, when I go visit, she's always asking if I'm hungry. If I open the fridge, she starts rattling off everything it contains. In addition, she grew up with Depression-era parents, so she hates wasting food. I found one of my early struggles when I started MFP was throwing food away. I found I would eat up leftovers--even if I wasn't hungry--just so they wouldn't spoil. Good for you for figuring out one of your challenges--maybe instead of thinking of this process as "losing weight," you can view it as "gaining health"?

AFM--Well I only got through 2 papers, but it's always hardest to get started. Tomorrow I'm meeting some friends for lunch at Cooper's Hawk around 2. A couple from the group are going to meet me beforehand to grade for a couple of hours, so hope to make a bigger dent then. I counted how many students actually submitted online and it is 50, so I'm going to change the goal to reflect that number.

On a completely different note, DH and I are thinking of taking a trip out west this summer. I think I mentioned that my friend is getting married in Rock Springs, WY and I looked into flights. It's really expensive to fly into their dinky airport (plus, I'm terrified of those small planes it would likely require), so we would have to fly to Salt Lake City then drive the 3 hours north. If we do this I would want to take some time to sight-see around SLC--no point in spending the $600 plus on airfare to just go to the wedding.

Our other option is to take a road trip the whole way. If we do that, we could stop along the way at the Black Hills and see Mt. Rushmore. I would like to find something else along the way in southern MN or northern IA, but I'm not really familiar with sights along that route.

If anyone has any suggestions about either option, please let me know. :smile:

Cleaning Goals:
    1. file paperwork/bills
    2. drop off bag of clothes to GW
    3. clean fish tank

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 25/28 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 9/28 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. 2/50 AP essays
    2. x/13 Scarlet Letter essays

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--rest day
    Tues--walk gunner
    Wed--8k at gym
    Thurs--walk gunner
    Fri--walk gunner + gym
    Sat--walk gunner
  • mountmary84
    Options
    @softblonde I too have problems with my knees; indeed one is artificial. I have found an exercise video of seated exercises that is really good for core fitness. (It would help if I would get back at that....and I intend to with this new "tenacity" goal) It is by Anne Pringle Burnell available I think from Amazon. She has several. The core fitness is 34 minutes and I am warm and sweaty when I do it, even though it is a "seated" exercise. There are some samples on her web site you can try. It might be worth looking into.
    @Skinny Karen, that is a beautiful drive. There is lots to see out that way. I will talk to DH as he is the one that always remembers what we saw. Mt Rushmore is a must. The mountains make our Midwest hills look like mere bumps. Crazy Horse monument near Rushmore is good. I will work on this a bit.
    Also, I agree that many of our weight issues come from childhood...gotta remember the children starving in some foreign land... Diane Petrella mentions "releasing weight" rather than losing it. I seem to be on a soapbox about the people I follow today.

Barbara(mountmary)

• MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound - Thank you for the welcome!

I like the goal lists ya'll are doing so here is mine for this month and week

Cleaning goals for tomorrow
    - Rewash all of my clothing in the detergent I am (hopefully) not allergic to
    - Fold and put away laundry
    - Vacuum

Fitness goals
    - track every bite
    - do a slim in 6 or yoga workout (goal is to workout 6/7 days this week)
    - meal plan so I can prep meals for next week

Grading Goals (like this one I need it)
    -Grade lab reports for 1 out of 4 classes and enter grades into online program. Goal is to finish one class a day until done.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    So many inspirational posts today. So sorry about Kitkat.
    I didn't have a good food day. I still have way too many treats around here!
    Still working on the word of the year.
    A suggestion for those who are struggling with being able to exercise. A friend of mine is trying to lose weight so she can have hip replacement surgery. She sits in a chair and uses exercise bands to lift her legs up and down.
    This quote was in the church bulletin today.
    "To reach a goal you have never before attained, you must do things you have never before done." Richard G. Scott
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Niki - kitkat is very blessed that you belong to him. Offering prayers for strength and peace to you both in this painful time.

@melifornia‌ - once you get your kitchen reorganized instead of cooking for one try cooking full recipes then freezing individual servings. That way you don't have to cook as often.

I'm Kai and I have a lot of weight to lose. Motivation is my main issue.

Weekly goals:

Work: Short work week due to holiday and AWS schedule (I work an extra half hour everyday for 21 days then get the next Monday off). So...
    I'd like to reach November 12th.
    Stand up to the Coworker that pitches fits when I restock my binder clips (don't ask, it's a nightmare).

Eating:

To be under calories 6/7 days
    To be over 1200 calories 7/7 days

Exercise:

30 - 35 minutes 7/7 days

Social:

Take my son to his OVR appt and still function the rest of the day.
    Stay up until midnight on the 31st.

Cleaning:

Kitchen sink
    My dresser
    Vacuum

Is nice meeting everyone.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Niki~I’m sorry about KitKat. It is so hard to lose a pet no matter the circumstances; they become part of the family. I lost two senior cats 6 months apart in 2012, hardest decisions I ever had to make but didn’t want them to suffer. You gave KitKat a great home and a great life.

@Karen~That would be a beautiful road trip!

@melifornia~I’ve gotten really good at cooking for one. One thing I do is make stuff on the weekend and freeze half, about every 4 weeks I don’t need to cook at all. I don’t always like reheated meals and so I make some quick meals that come together in about 10-minutes. One is a shrimp stir fry with green onions, broccoli slaw and teriyaki sauce that I add 4oz of shrimp to and then serve over brown rice. A second one is I sauté spinach, onion and garlic then add some canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 3oz of pre-cooked chicken breast and one cup of left over whole wheat couscous. Both are easy peasy and delicious!

One of my favorite quotes true in weight loss and true in life:

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten." Tony Robbins
  • loosaedna
    loosaedna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello ever one. Its Monday morning and feeling disgusted with my self thought I was doing good after Christmas and last night feel off my weight loss calories broke down and ate stuffing and a piece of cherry pie. Really upset with myself. Missed reporting in yesterday but back today.

@kaihunter45‌ I like your goals for this week. Motivation is very important.

Cant get to everyone now but will try get on later getting ready for a visit to counselor. Until later bye
  • mountmary84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Loosaedna Edna, let it go; forgive yourself and move on. We all stumble sometimes; the important thing is to get right back at it and learn from your mistake. You are doing great!
    @Kah68 Kelley, I love that quote. I say it often as it is such a good one.

Barbara (mountmary)
  • FortWildernessLoopy
    Options
    Hello all! I hope you don't mind if I 'join up' since I no longer have 100lbs to lose, I just did though. I joined MFP in March of this year with 170lbs to lose. I am currently down 108 as of this morning. I still have 62 more to go.
    If you had told me last year this time that I would be able to walk to my mailbox and back (1/4 mile each way), I would have laughed you out of my house...and then started crying. Losing weight was a pipe dream and not for me. I had a defeatest attitude since I was already in my 40s, post hysterectomy with a couple more surgeries under my belt and I needed a rollator when we went shopping. I was basically a hermit because I HATED leaving the house. I was completely sedentary and worked in the home...I was becoming agoraphobic as well. It's hard to think of that time in my life now.
    I was having difficulty standing without grabbing on to something and thought, "this is ridiculous, I need to work on my knee strength" so I got out the Wii fit and figured I'd try the walking...except the wii fit board doesn't work if you're over 340lbs. I had a good cry, and my husband said we will just throw all the food out and get better food the next day at the store. He said no more McDonalds (we pretty much had it every day) and no more 2 litres of coke by the bedside.
    I logged onto MFP just to log my food for a week and see how much I should be eating. Well, that one week has lasted 9 months, lol.

So my goals have changed from losing, to toning. I have still set myself to lose 1.5 lbs a week, but now it's time to start really exercising instead of just some cardio. I need to build muscle. With the weight loss comes lovely lunch lady arms :(. I wish I had been lifting weights this whole time, but realistically, I couldn't even start to exercise until I lost at least 50lbs. So, my victory this week is I have lost 2 more pounds since Christmas and my plan this week is continued cardio with flexband and weight lifting circuits to be added!
  • kaihunter45
    Options
    @loosaedna‌ - yesterday is behind you. Please don't let it wreck your today.

@FortWildernessLoopy‌ - ((((((Hugs Hugs)))))) absolutely fantastic. I'm so proud of you! You rock!

I currently weigh 318.2 lbs. I can drop 50 lbs really easily, but right about there I lose motivation. It seems that this is where I start sabotaging myself with thoughts about how I'm still really fat and it's taking so long. I turn from a relatively confident and in control woman to a sniveling basket case that eats 3000 calories a day and justifies it. I'm also going to counseling for food addiction, but like most of us, I've got a lot of issues with food.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    An important lesson I learned over the holiday:

One bad meal is not going to make me fat, just like one good meal isn't going to make me skinny.

I didn't gain this weight over-night and I'm certainly not going to lose it overnight. I am going to have my good days and my bad days. I won't always be sprinting to the finish line, but I am moving in the right direction, and that is perfectly fine with me.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    It is easy to give up when you feel like it is so hopeless.

I often get down, and feel like it does not matter anyway.

However, that is when I realize that just working towards being healthy is a win. This is not about low self esteem, or a number on a scale, it is about working my body to be the best I can, and enjoying a yoga class, and the feeling I have after eating a light salad for dinner rather than a heavy lasagna. Satisfaction that I have the power to control one thing in my life, in a life that often feels overwhelmingly out of control.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    One of my favorite motivational quotes:

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they worked on it every day.

I did not get fat in a day, I will not be thin in a day. But if I work on this every day I will get where I want to be.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Monday Check In ... no weight loss this week
    Daily Calorie Challenge is 22/28 ... seems I've been food comforting myself
    ALL-In ... failed on my housework challenge and don't much care. Guess I'm 'dumpy' right now.

@Everyone .... thanks for all the kind words of encouragement and sympathy over my problems with my Kitcat. I believe that when you get a pet, you understand that their life is shorter than your own and that you will probably have to say good-bye before you want to. I only want him to be as comfortable as possible these last few days. But then, isn't that pretty much how it is with anyone you love?

Welcome to everyone recently posting newly on this thread. I'm not being mean to say this ... I think I'm being 'brutally frank' ... because I've had to be so with myself in the past ...

No one, no one EXCEPT yourself can make you adhere to any plan for self-improvement. It's not an easy road, it is a cyclic thing with ups-downs/stalls-sprints/intermissions-runons. You feel all gung-ho, you feel all disinterested. So the only thing you can do is make a plan and work that plan every day as best you can. Remember ... you were not born 'fat', you became that way over a period of time. You will not suddenly wake up 'thin', it will take time to get that way.

Good luck everyone.
    Niki
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in, @kaihunter45‌ and @kah68. Freezing portions for later is the plan; however, because I have a tiny kitchen, I also have a small 'fridge and freezer, which limits what I can store. I do have a small (quarter-size?) deep freezer on my back porch for supplementary food storage, but I need to clean it out!

Looks like I'm taking a niece and nephew roller skating this afternoon. That ought to be a good leg workout!

Health Goals:
    * Take meds daily - DONE Sunday
    * Refill pill sorter thing - DONE

Diet Goals:
    * At or under calorie goal 5/7 days
    * Healthy breakfast 5/7 days - DONE Monday
    * No fast food 3/7 days (trying to set a realistic but still challenging goal here)
    * Create and prep healthier food options for New Year's Eve/Day LOTR marathon with nieces

Exercise Goals:
    * Elliptical and/or treadmill at the gym minimum of 30 mins/3x
    * Find 15-20 min yoga routine to do at home and do at least 2x
    * Collaborate with oldest niece to create "exercising game" for New Year's Eve/Day LOTR marathon (like a drinking game, but instead of drinking, we do some sort of exercise; for example, every time someone refers to a Hobbit as "a Halfling", we do 25 jumping jacks)

Cleaning Goals:
    * Declutter kitchen
    * List items to sell on local buy/sell/trade FB group
    * Take other items to GW or trash
    * Clean sink 7/7 nights
    * REMEMBER: trash collection is Wednesday this week! (usually it's Thursday; holidays are throwing schedule off)
    * Put away Christmas decor (Fri/Sat after New Year's)

Work Goals:
    * File new biz profile piece with newspaper (SUNDAY) - DONE
    * File police reports from weekend with newspaper (SUNDAY) - DONE
    * File event precede with newspaper
    * Write mag piece #1 and send out for review
    * Write mag piece #2 and schedule to send out for review 1/5
    * Write press release and send to 5 publications for consideration
    * Figure out issue with client's website shopping cart
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My word for 2015 is Mindfulness. So often, I eat on automatic pilot without even thinking, I want to be mindful. Had last Xmas party last night. Quite New Years Eve planned with family. Exercise planned for tomorrow AND FRIDAY.

Skinnyjeans - thanks for words of encouragement. Your schedule is so active. Where do you get the energy?

Barbara – We never stop learning. That means we are alive. One day at a time
    Laurie Sept is Savannah or Charleston is usually not too bad for heat or humidity. Count me in

Robin Thanks for the kind words. YesI have two wonderful kids and a grandson who is married with 2 great grands whom I adore. I just love your nature, you are so giving and helpful

Grandmakay – Sounds like a wonderful day for you. Thanks for the welcome back
    Kah – Thanks. Painting is great exercise and it can be tiring.
    Maram – Great success. Like your idea of multi phrases
    Melofornia – Welcome. Cooking for one is difficult. I try to cook In advance and store so I can just reach in and grab something and then fix a salad
    Cblue15 – Good goals
    Morgori – Always get a lot from your quotes, thanks for taking the effort. It was also good to see Ms Morgori

Nk112 – So sorry about kitkat. Cherish him while you have him
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Suited the kids up in their snow gear and sent them outside so I could do my slim in 6 today. I think I'll do that more often, when I try to do it with them around I either get helpers that i don't want our the 5 year old coaching me "mom she's lifting her arm higher then you abs your sweating a lot more then her" :smiley:

Meal planning and prepping what I can now to pack up lots of ready to go meals for the week back to school. Preparing ahead and having pre-portioned grab and go lunches makes eating healthy easier for me.

@NK1112‌ I think when it comes to pets real love is knowing that you can give them a peaceful passing with as little pain as possible. I think knowing when that times comes is the single hardest but most important part of loving any pet. Enjoy every minute you have. Thank you for your words about this being up to me. I get so stuck in my head with the negativity when i start to lose that I let me defeat me. I need to stop that!

So workout done for the day, every bite eaten so far tracked, supper planned and tracked, kitchen cleaned and laundry put away with more loads working... can't avoid those lab reports anymore I guess :wink:
  • kaihunter45
    Options
    @KJEFFRIES2‌ - Mindfulness is an awesome choice for your word.

I picked a phrase for 2015, "doing the thing". It's from Amy Poehler's book, Yes Please. "We did the thing. Because remember, the talking about the thing is not the thing. The doing of the thing is the thing. " I'm making exercising and taking care of myself the thing.

@MKknits‌ Seems like you're having an awesome day!

It's back to work tomorrow for a whole day and a half. Won't bug you all so much then.