Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ....so I did a decent job on Christmas with only a little over calories only to blow it today. Like everyone is saying, it is the leftovers. That darned dip came out before supper and I fear I enjoyed a bit much of it. Enough to put me over. DH likes it so I will for the moment refrain from washing it down the disposer, but that is what I would like to do. DUMB, DUMB and DUMBER!

This is definitely a learning process isn't it? How can I be so old and have so much to learn yet??

Still tossing around words and phrases to be my mantra for 2015. Many, many come to mind. Diane Petrella who writes a food/diet news letter/post had some thought on that this morning.

@Tom I love fruitcake, but like someone else said have not made one in a number of years because of the calories.

Sorry, this is a bit disjointed.

Thanks everyone for being there.
    Barbara (mountmary)

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @slimbluehen - you're very generous with your words! Don't feel bad about the ice cream any longer than it took to eat it. Move on and keep moving. Hey, if your DH's reading really interfere's with your posting, ask him to repeat himself and say you want to quote him in your post. Maybe that will stop him!

@Laurie - thanks for more pics of your gardens - so fun to look at each item in each scene! I can even remember owning similar items long ago and far away :p . Yes, I'm looking for either a snowman or kids throwing snowballs. My snowman, you can't see it but there is a nice pile of snowballs at his feet!
    If there is a group trip to the southeast I'd vote for the sept. time mentioned as I have a big trip over Memorial weekend in the planning stages right now.

@DebFoley - hello and welcome. Glad you've found us. While I have not had personal experience with breaking thru a plateau what I've heard on the grapevine is this: a good case of the norovirus for 3-4 days, while keeping furiously busy, will generally drain 4-5 lbs off of you! :p If that doesn't happen by luck, spend your time in day care centers and hope to catch the flu.... in the mean time, congrats on your very wonderful success the old fashioned way - Deb, you've done a great job, coming down from 387 to 248! I salute you! You are an amazing lady, and I don't mean to make jokes AT you, but just with you to make you feel welcome. I'm just sure you'll break thru that awful plateau in good time. It might take reducing calories a wee bit more, and exercising still. Continue to get your vitamins in and balanced nutrition.

@Toots - Glad to hear you are all good. Good news to hear theres progress with both boys already. Its really been such a short time. What difference one full year will make!

@Niki - you're SO funny, and reliable, such a get-it-done kind of person! I am fussing around with the @OneWord idea so much as well. For one thing, I cannot for the life of me come up with any concept that can be summed up with one word right now. Sure, I can think of a phrase, a three or so word phrase, and that's great, but will it stick? I don't know@

@Mountmary - Barbara - I see you're having the same problem I described above to Niki - hmmm. we need to spend a few more days on this. I don't know how "finesse" came to me last year. Sure was easy. Now, that I proposed the idea, it sure is hard! :s
    Love the pic of you (you're so cute in those glasses,) and you and your daughter with aprons on, like I wear, and I'm sure a lot of us do, and she's got darling eyes! and your tree is decorated the same way and with the same type ornaments mine is - surely NOT a coincidence! Great taste!

@EAK - glad you are excited about the January Challenge.

<3<3<3
    We are also proposing we each choose One Special Word to Live By in the New Year. This will be in lieu of a New Years Resolution. The one word should be a word that resonates with you and applies to the change you are making in yourself. You should be able to easily remember it and to easily think of it at the most important times of your day when you need to be reminded to be strong about your lifestyle change. (actually the one word could also be a phrase....
    <3<3<3<3

@Skinny - interesting thoughts....like you - I always planned ahead if I was going to "miss" a meal - I worried about being hungry. To the point, while eating dinner, I would dicuss the dinner menu for the next day. It even struck other people as odd and they mentioned that. So I knew I was off-kilter with that thinking. Nice to have an explanation. Now I can let it go, knowing my sugar free gum and water is enough for many hours. Even if I leave the house without having breakfast I don't freak out. I know something will happen, I don't even have to plan. Its a nice calm feeling now.

@kaykarma - welcome. You're only going to meet nice people here. No negativity towards others. You'll make good friends if you come and post often.

@Walkingqueen - The highs and lows of the holidays sound like a roller coaster for you, Holly - but the highs should count much more than the lows, I hope. Getting that 85% is as good as an A+ as far as I can see, you worked your tail feathers off for that. I'm so proud of you. Well, 2 more classes, is that one full year? Darn it, but telll your self you can do it and you will do it, and by gosh, you will understand it, and somewhere you will find an amazing tutor, or Youtube video that helps you make sense of it. So thats one Victory, one HIGH. and the second HIGH is your son coming thru for you with a laptop - WOW, isn't he the sweetest? I could hug him right now! And the third HIGH is, YOU'VE CHANGED! you didn't go running back to your EX this time. You realized that his "love text" was just a sad rerun of all his other tricks and false promises. The one low you experienced was reliving the memories. So you've maybe learned, next time he texts to do something different, delete it before reading or refuse to go into that funk afterwards, learn to laugh at him, learn to picture him as something ridiculously funny, so on and so on.
    I hope your break allows you much needed fun, FUN, fun! No more wallowing in pity. YOU are SO MUCH HAPPIER NOW. You have your home, your son, your big puppy, your college, your future! WOW. And NO weight dragging you down anymore. No disrespect anymore.
    No lies...... sigh ....isn't your life wonderful?

• RobinsEgg
    Options
    @Kah - sage is a beautiful and relaxing color - just curious what are the colors for the bedrooms?

@Fionat - many years ago (just check the date of that post!) we had to change the name of this Discussion so I used that word phalarope as a search term for any members who were lost to come find us...it worked quite well...) Are you just stopping by out of curiosity or do you care to join us? you're certainly welcome as anyone is!

@softblondchick - great goals for the day - now if you didn't make them - don't sweat it. A shower was on my list for today and its not done. Not sure why even....somewhere in my subconsciousness a decision was made without me I guess. I polished my toes instead and decided they needed to wait a day.

@TexasMom - thanks for the tip for the plantar fasciitis - big help!

@KJeffries -Katrina - really a tough year for you - I think you'll being pretty strong and upbeat about everything. I hope you can sustain that - we are here for you! For me, the first several years after my divorce, my identity was in a state of confusion. But you will persevere! Do you have kids?

Wishing everyone else back very Happy Holidays!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Today was a really fun day. We started with our usual waffle breakfast. Then the party moved to Cathy's house. We played games and ate all day. There is still so much candy and cookies left. :s Needless to say I need to really get back in the groove. Amy gave me a wonderful picture of all of our grandchildren that was taken at Sarah's wedding in August. Among other things, I also have a new slow cooker cookbook, and a hot air curling brush for my hair. I'm excited to try both. We had a white Christmas for our belated Christmas party. It has been snowing quite steadily since about 2 o'clock. There are at least 4" of snow out there.
    I wish I was better at the personals. You all inspire me so much.
    Katrina, its good to see you back.
    I'm looking forward to a quiet Sabbath day.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Karen~Yuck, I sure hope you don’t end up with the cold from your niece. I’m glad your students are keeping you amused while grading their papers. :wink:

@Tom~When I was a kid my dad’s mom spent weeks making and mailing fruitcakes for the family. That thing was soaked in rum and wrapped in cheesecloth—I swear you could smell the rum through the box in came in! :lol: My dad loved that cake!

@Toots~I’ve indulged far more over the last few days than I should have, my body feels it too. :frowning:

@Katrena~Welcome back. Glad you are ready to leave 2014 in the dust and move forward—make 2015 your year. You’re off to a great start!

@Holly~I think you did great in your class. When I was in school my dad always said to me that a hard B was better than an easy A—he always liked to see me work hard and “earn” my grades. Do you have a tutor? You might consider it for your next algebra class—although, you have a good building block in the class you just took. Each class builds upon the previous. Definitely research the profs teaching, a bad teacher can make a hard class even tougher.

@Robin~My bedroom is going to have 3 lavender walls and a plum colored wall that my sleigh bed is on (I’ve actually thought about doing horizontal stripes on this wall of the two colors). I have a new duvet in the master bedroom that is lavender with a silver undertone (Christmas present from my parents)—so the shade of lavender on the walls may vary, I want a shade darker than the duvet for the three walls. The guest bedroom is going to be a Newport blue (it’s a shade lighter and brighter than slate blue). All of the colors throughout the house are in the same area of the color wheel so all of the rooms complement each other really well.

AFM~Well yesterday was exhausting, the textured walls made painting a little harder—who said painting isn’t exercise?! :astonished: It took about 7 hours to finish, but came out beautifully—looking at it this morning, I’m contemplating a second coat. Back to work tomorrow (for two days) so going to get grocery shopping done in a bit and then plan to rest most of the day—housework was completed yesterday as well. A chill is on the horizon here so making chili today.

My sister got me this great coffee maker for Christmas, called iCoffee—it doesn’t use filters and works similar to a coffee press, the coffee taste is so smooth. Loving it! :heart_eyes:

Enjoy the day!
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    It seems that everyone had a great Christmas from all the lovely pictures.

@Robin/Ellen: I like the idea of a word that resonates with you, but maybe we can expand the thought to a mantra, or a phrase, since many posted multi-worded ideas. For myself, I would go with "perfect effort with balance." Hopefully this pushes me on those days when I need to do that, and lets me live my life on those days when I am too rule bound with what I am doing.
    Also, thanks for all the challenge specs....I'm sure you get sick of posting and reposting. Thanks for your trouble. :blush:

@Case6710: You asked about workout advice. Here's my overcharging 2 cents worth: Do something more than what you are doing now. Do something you'll keep doing. Do something that challenges you beyond what you can do now. If you do all these things, you can build something sustainable and something that improves your fitness. :)

@Loosaedna: I think it is a great idea to up your cals. to 1200 or there abouts. You will find that you have more energy to do things, particularly any exercising you are thinking about. You may find that you are less tired too (though I know that you are dealing with sleep apnea). Great job with your first successes. :smiley:

@saofei: Welcome to this place!! I agree with you about pasta (in moderation). When I revamped my eating, pasta being included was a have-to. Any I have managed to lose weight with eating pasta about one time a week.

@SkinnyJeans: Thanks for all the 411 (the carb/cholesterol connection, the website, and the advice you gave about having a tough day...about how thin people and fat people think differently.

@Niki: Thanks for the link.

@Kah68: Gorgeous picture of Zoe. I LOVE Maine Coons. :)

@UrnAsh: Welcome aboard!

@everyone: Thanks for the helpful information about healthy fats. :)

I'm in the process of thinking about balance and how to add more to my life. :) I am a very diligent dieter, and have been successful losing because of that. However, I am worried about the boomerang effect when I get to my goal. That's where my brain is right now. :)

To all: I hope that the new year brings determination to make the world a better place, in your small corner of it, and then....the peace that comes from a job well done.

Rock on,
    Mara
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just stumbled on this thread and you all are amazing! I love the camaraderie, support, and goal setting. Exactly what I've been looking for around here! Are you accepting new members?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Motivation is lacking today. However, I have one week to clean and organize this house. And I will do six hours of work today. I have a tendency to get easily overwhelmed and give up, in many areas of my life...

Simple tasks are easy to accomplish. 10,000 simple tasks...starts with one. Shower, get dressed.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to all. The sun is shining here in Wis. A rare thing these days.
    Hello to all the newbies. You are all welcome to join in whenever you feel the need. Post as often or as little as you like. I myself do not post often but I do check to see what is going on every day.

I feel really good today. Up beat, optimistic, actually feel fit in mind and body. Today I am 5 pounds above my ticker so I am back to plan for everything. Been eating clean for the last couple of days, drinking all my water, getting in my workouts. I am invited to a party for NYE but I am not going to sweat that one. I will go, have fun, eat (probably too much). I do not drink alcohol so that is not an issue.

Niki (the new cat) is settling in well and we are all getting used to each other. She is a flirt and such a darling.

Hubby and I are doing well also. We have had an up and down year but are finishing on a good note. I will do my part toward a good year in 2015.

For January my personal challenge is 1300 calories, 90 minutes/day for fitness, 14 glasses of water and for the kicker I will challenge myself to be able to run one mile without a break by the end of the month. Right now my personal best is .3 miles.

I am not good at personal replies but please know that I do follow the thread and want to thank you all for sharing so openly and honestly. I do gain so much from all of your highs, lows and day to day life.
    Thank you,
    Lori
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Karen – “Student: "Audacious = incredibly ballsy (for lack of a better word)"

My response: "bold, brazen, daring, reckless, fearless--please learn all of these better words so you never again have to write 'ballsy' on anything you turn in to me."” LOL very-funny.gif

melifornia- You just have to post to this thread to be a member. Welcome and jump right in!

Happy Holy Innocents Day .
    Definition: Catholic Holy Day, observed in commemoration of the slaughter of male infants in Bethlehem during Herod the Great's attempt to kill the infant Jesus. It is a time for children to be especially blessed in church. Celebrated on December 28.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Innocents
    http://www.fisheaters.com/customschristmas5.html

“Be bold. Be confident. Be alive. A gallery of possibilities awaits you when you make change your friend.” ~Bob Bone

Tom
  • melifornia
    Options
    Thanks! I've been reading back a few pages - you all are inspiring.

A little about me:

I'm a freelance writer, which means I mostly work from home and have flexibility for things like going to the gym, but am struggling to create a good routine. I've only been freelancing for about a year - was laid off 2 1/2 years ago, job hunting for about 18 months before deciding to see if I could make money writing. Surprise, I can! I supplement with substitute teaching, although I'm at the point now where I can pick and choose sub assignments.

I'm single with no kids of my own, but I have 12 nieces and nephews, ages 7 months-15 1/2 years, all of whom live nearby so I get to see them a lot. In fact, I have them every Saturday night for "Sissy Night" (I'm Aunt Sissy), which means I'm guaranteed to burn a lot of calories one night per week. :smiley:

My health and fitness goals include losing about 60lbs as well as getting much fitter and stronger. Weight has been a struggle for me since I was a child, but back in 2000-2001, while I was in grad school, I learned how to eat right and exercise regularly. Lost 60lbs, kept it off for a few years, then I hit a very stressful period and gained back most if it in about a year. Switched jobs and started losing again, then injured my neck pretty badly. During the 2 years it took to recover, I gained back what I'd lost and my body's capabilities changed a lot. I was losing again when I hit a pretty bad patch - severe depression (finally diagnosed, getting treatment), laid off, and a bad fall that caused "severe muscle trauma" in my right arm and leg. That injury was Halloween 2012, and I'm still not 100% recovered, but have rejoined the local rec center and started using the elliptical.

Food is my real challenge. I got hooked on fast food - easy, convenient, soooo bad for me. My small town doesn't have a lot of options, so I'm stuck in a cheeseburger-and-fries rut. I don't even like cheeseburgers and fries that much anymore! That's a sign that I'm ready to make a change, right? Cooking for one often seems like more trouble than it's worth, especially in my tiny kitchen. One of my goals for this next week is to declutter and reorganize my kitchen so it's easier to cook.

OK, that's a novel. Sorry. :smile:
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone ... I'm kind of in the dumps today ... was going to write a lot of personals to everyone but instead will talk about my cat, Kitcat, for Sunday Share.
    Here is a picture of Kitcat from last year in my backyard.

j0kb9h2uyd18.jpg

Well ... Kitcat and I have lived together since 2001, I figure he is anywhere between 16 and 18 years old. When he had his last vet checkup in August, the vet was a little concerned about the apparent arthritis in his hind quarters. However he was a happy, healthy, and alert geriatric cat.

On Christmas Day, Kitcat stopped using the litter box, stopped eating, stopped drinking water. I wasn't absolutely certain of that, but I thought it was thus and felt he had been doing less of all of that for the past couple of days. This morning, I took him to the Emergency Veterinary because he looked and acted very weak. I had come to the belief that my boy was in the process of dying.

They evaluated him, asked if they could do a full body x-ray on him ... and then showed me the films. I asked them to do something for him to make him more comfortable, and brought him home again. I have instructions to contact his vet and to be prepared that I will need to take him in for a final vet appointment sometime this week.

I knew this would be what they would say ... I just wanted to confirm what was happening and to make him more comfortable for the last few days he has.

AFM ... I blew my calories yesterday. When I went to get some other type of cat food to see if I could entice my boy to eat I picked up an on-sale package of peanut butter cups and a bag of potato chips. .... and you know the rest of the story ...
    Daily calorie challenge is 22/27
    ALL-In challenge .... The h**l with the housework, I want to hold my boy.
    Niki
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @niki (NK1112)--I'm so sorry about your kitty! He's beautiful, by the way. Losing a beloved pet is so hard--I know I will be basket case when it's my Gunner's time to go. Hold him, and take comfort in the knowledge that you gave him a wonderful life and a loving home.

@melifornia--welcome to the group! What type of writing do you do? Fiction? Non-fiction? Poetry? We have had several writers make their way through this group and a lot of teachers as well. I think toots is the only other current member who writes. I'm a HS English teacher, and though I don't write, there is a story brewing in my brain. Someday, I will find time to put pen to paper.

@lori (cblue)--we had some beautiful sunshine here in chicago as well. Glad you are doing well.

@kelley (kah)--My sniffles seem to have cleared up already, so luckily it wasn't the terrible cold my niece had for a week plus. The colors for your house sound really nice; I love that idea of the horizontal stripes.

@robin--before joining MFP, I was really resistant to counting calories for the very reasons you mentioned. I also used to get really obsessed with what I was going to eat later, tomorrow, next saturday, etc. I was worried counting calories would make that worse, but actually, the opposite has happened. Sure I plan ahead for work lunches and such, but I don't obsess and worry about what I will eat. A prime example is these union bargaining meetings I'm going to. We meet until 8:30 pm which means a dinner break with each side taking turns providing dinner. I never know ahead of time what that will be, and a few years ago that would've really bothered me. Now, I just make sure I eat a lighter lunch and know I can make anything work. The first dinner was these huge foccacia sandwiches, plus soup and salad. I knew a whole sandwich would put me over calories, so I just cut one in half and loaded up the rest of my plate with salad. :smile:

@softblonde--yes, one task at a time and you will accomplish so much!

@mara--I've heard it's a whole new journey once you hit maintenance. However, I've done a darn good job of maintaining my present weight, so I should be pro when I finally reach my goal. LOL

AFM--DH did the vacuuming and also went on "cobweb patrol" as he calls it. He won't dust all of the little knick knacks on the shelves, but he will dust ceilings and light fixtures and such.

Earlier I walked gunner and hit the gym. I started on the treadmill, but I just wasn't feeling it, so I only ran 2 miles then switched to the elliptical. I've been pretty focused on running lately, so it was probably a good change for my body. Now I'm at starbucks getting ready to tackle at least a couple of those AP essays.

ETA: got 2 essays done, but now I'm heading home.

Cleaning Goals:
    1. vacuum entire house DONE
    2. file paperwork/bills
    3. vacuum couch (under all cushions) DONE by DH
    4. drop off bag of clothes to GW
    5. clean fish tank

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 24/27 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 8/27 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. 2/67 AP essays
    2. x/13 Scarlet Letter essays

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--walk gunner
    Tues--walk gunner
    Wed--8k at gym
    Thurs--walk gunner
    Fri--walk gunner + gym
    Sat--walk gunner
  • melifornia
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound‌ - thanks for the welcome. I write for several trade magazines in the minority business niche - lots of profiles of executives, businesses, etc. - and for my local paper - community events, human interest stories, new business profiles, etc. I also write for several websites that I own in the TV entertainment niche - celebrity interviews, reviews, relevant news, that sort of thing (been doing that for years as a hobby, which gave me lots of experience for earning money). Looking forward to increasing my clientele and growing my new business in 2015!

@NK1112‌ - so sorry that your Kitcat is ailing. I've loved and lost many cats in my life; it sucks. *hug*

Looking at your posts, I think we set new weekly goals on Sundays, yes? Health/fitness/diet goals + work and personal goals?

Health Goals:
    * Take meds daily
    * Refill pill sorter thing (I don't remember what it's called...the thing with different boxes for different days)

Diet Goals:
    * At or under calorie goal 5/7 days
    * Healthy breakfast 5/7 days
    * No fast food 3/7 days (trying to set a realistic but still challenging goal here)
    * Create and prep healthier food options for New Year's Eve/Day LOTR marathon with nieces

Exercise Goals:
    * Elliptical and/or treadmill at the gym minimum of 30 mins/3x
    * Find 15-20 min yoga routine to do at home and do at least 2x
    * Collaborate with oldest niece to create "exercising game" for New Year's Eve/Day LOTR marathon (like a drinking game, but instead of drinking, we do some sort of exercise; for example, every time someone refers to a Hobbit as "a Halfling", we do 25 jumping jacks)

Cleaning Goals:
    * Declutter kitchen
    * List items to sell on local buy/sell/trade FB group
    * Take other items to GW or trash
    * Clean sink 7/7 nights
    * REMEMBER: trash collection is Wednesday this week! (usually it's Thursday; holidays are throwing schedule off)
    * Put away Christmas decor (Fri/Sat after New Year's)

Work Goals:
    * File new biz profile piece with newspaper (TODAY)
    * File police reports from weekend with newspaper (TODAY)
    * Write mag piece #1 and send out for review
    * Write mag piece #2 and schedule to send out for review 1/5
    * Write press release and send to 5 publications for consideration
    * Figure out issue with client's website shopping cart
  • slimbluehen
    slimbluehen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Niki, I am so very sorry to hear about Kitcat. I don't know why our pets have to live shorter lives than we do, but maybe it is to teach us how to let go. I think it is a cruel and lonely lesson - and one I've repeated often.

Please know that you and Kitcat are in my thoughts and prayers.

Linda
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    @Niki - Kitcat is so beautiful - and I hope you can hold him forever. Whenever my kitteys became that ill, I would entice them to eat with pan-cooked hamburger, diced very tiny, mixed with cooked rice, and smothered in (canned) low sodium beef gravy. Often they would only take a taste or too, but later at times they would eat a meal. It gave me comfort to prepare it for them. Water, I would drip in their mouth from a moist cloth, not thick, maybe from a thin glove finger over mine.
    I'm praying for you, and for Kitcat. May you have many more days together.
  • RobinsEgg
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @melfornia - welcome -happy to have you join us! You've had an interesting life. Your current career is really taking off. At one time, it was my dream to be a writer but I went into nursing instead. I had anxiety when I had to face people and interview them - LOL! so, it was a good move. But, I continue to write every day, poems, essays and such. I think that's why I am good here. I do love to encourage people and its easy for me to find the words to do it.
    - You will fit in quite well! You have a lot of drive and I can see by your lists you self-motivated! You'll have those 60 lbs off in 2015 and your work will be solidified!
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    I changed the wording to include the word "Phrase:"

We are also proposing we each choose One Special Word or Phrase to Live By in the New Year. This will be in lieu of a New Years Resolution. The one word (or phrase) should be something that resonates with you and applies to the change you are making in yourself. You should be able to easily remember it and to easily think of it at the most important times of your day when you need to be reminded to be strong about your lifestyle change.

Regarding this, I had an interesting Epiphany today:
    My Epiphany was this: As I'm an older person, I remembered when I was a wee small child, around 3, I was fitted with special glasses, as I had a "wandering" eye. There was a strap to hold them on my head. A few years later, the strap was removed, and I had more freedom to take them off at will. My mother, aware of their expense would say to me, Don't LOSE them! I'll whip you if you LOSE them constantly to me. She repeated, with any other toy, bike or plaything, if I headed out the door, she'd say again Do NOT lose that! You'll be in big trouble, Ellen! Do NOT lose it!

So today, as I remembered this, I realized that " Do NOT lose itt" was hard-wired in my brain.
    I cannot stand to lose something. So I cannot obey myself when I tell myself to "lose weight"

Isn't that interestng? Rather than get deep on the pychologists sofa, I headed into Disney territory quickly, and thought Let it go! Let it go! Yes I can live with that!

However, this will not be my phrase for 2015. But I thought I'd share this with those of you who have a sticking point with just plain "losing it". Maybe this will help you get to the bottom of the difficulty!
    Robin

I'm thinking my phrase will be "LIFT YOUR KNEES" because most of my physical problems this past year have left me so weak in my legs. My back's been out forever - but my Christmas gift to myself arrives early this week. Aqua weights for my ankles so I can get good back traction in the pool. So help for the back start this week. Now I also need to strengthem my knees. I caught myself many times this week, just scuffy my feet as I walk, barely bending my knees. So, that's where I am going to put my effort. They've always been my weakest muscle. I strengthened them 18 months ago with squats, but that was downward strength. This time it will be upward strength and I will also resume squats sometime into the New Year, when the back doc gives me the OK.
    Boy, I am really looking forward to these exercises.
    I am also going to record ALL my calories in my Food Diary. I've been lax but no more.
    My plans are made, and I feel good.
    You've all motivated me.
    Thank you each and every one.
    Hugs to all!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Niki-Sorry to hear about your kitty cat. It is the hardest thing in the world to lose someone we love. Try getting your cat to drink some juice from tuna fish and the tuna or soft food. I even held the dish up high for my cat to eat last year before I lost him to cancer. Enjoy your cat while you have him and hold him as long he will let you. HUGS

Welcome to all the new people, you have found a great group of people.

Well 4 years ago today, I met my first personal trainer and my journey began in ernest. That was a hard day and I had to face some unpleasant realities about myself at that time. From that forward, I found the determination to lose the weight and get fit, while learning the proper techniques for exercising and diet. That first year, I was very successful in losing about 68 pounds since I set a goal to be under 200 lbs in 1 year. I came close and finished losing it the following year. The next few months the weight loss slowed and I just started to maintain and could not break through. Since that time, I have changed trainers 2x and now I found one that I really like and is motivating. The current year has found my weight going up and down by 5 pounds, which is frustrating. Right now I only have myself to blame since I have been enjoying to many holiday sweets. I will be glad when they are gone.

Since I started this journey, I have been able to increase my health and my level of activity. I have completed events that I never thought possible including a swim meet, rock climbing, 5K runs, indoor triathlon and so much more. I can keep up with others, go hiking and participate in life instead of letting it pass me by.

What I have learned from my experience is the following:
    1. Change does not happen over night, lasting change takes time.
    2. Improvements will be made in small steps and you may not realize that they have.
    3. Take the time to evaluate your progress.
    4. Write down your starting points and then what are capable of a month or 6 months from now, etc.
    5. It is okay to make mistakes, just learn from them.
    6. Don't be afraid to try something new out of fear of failure.
    7. Challenge yourself and you will succeed.
    8. Never give up on yourself.
    9. Set goals for yourself to accomplish this year and work towards them in small steps.
    10. I can do it and make the change last.

Exercise goals for this week
    Sunday- gym- walk and row DONE
    Monday- gym and swim
    Tuesday- Trainer workout
    Wednesday- GYM
    Thursday- walk around the neighborhood
    Friday- climbing
    Saturday- Swimming

• MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm new here and looking for some support. I've dabbled in weight watchers and MFP a few times but never really committed. Or rather I commit until I hit about 20/30 lbs gone and then get frustrated with the process and get overwhelmed with the idea of having to do this for so long with 100+lbs to lose.

My husband has spent the last year taking time for himself and making sure he gets his work out everyday and it is time for me to commit to myself as well. My biggest goal is to be fit, I'm not worried about fitting in smaller clothing or being thin I just want to be fit again.

I need to concentrate on eating well and being physically active more and I'm hoping I can find a few folks to help support me with that here. I know from my other attempts that I desperately need a support group that understands the challenges of losing 100+ lbs and can hep me pull myself up when I'm stuck in the "I'll never do this" mode.

My plan for now is to be accountable with my food and log daily and do some kind of physical activity everyday - I've got Slim in 6 here as well as a few yoga workouts (and 7 classes at the yoga studio that opens by us January 3rd) so I'm going to use those!

Anyone want to add me as a friend to help me stay accountable and be part of my support group?