Options
    let's all just agree that we're happy that bacon isn't a carb =]
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Still the only macronutrient that is optional...bolt.gif

What about alcohol?

touche...

Assuming we accept alcohol as a nutrient, which I don't think it qualifies as.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    What you call "trolling," I call "a celebration of much loved macronutrient." *shrugs* If anything, ranting about the thread is trolling.

If there's a "I love punk and metal" thread, I'm going to be all over that. I'm not going to pop into some Justin Bieber thread to tell them what's wrong with the music they like.

Back on the topic of why I love carbs. Pancakes. I had a beautiful dream I was about to dig into a giant plate of pancakes yesterday, and the alarm went off right as I was about to take a bite. :sad:
  • lawrahmck
    Options
    They get a bad rap because people are used to thinking crash diet and not proper nutrition.

this!!! :happy:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hooboy.... (eyeroll) If our bodies were designed to burn fat, why do we store it so easily?? Really, can't you go start your own thread somewhere and leave off with the low carb propaganda??

(eyeroll) Why do we store fat? Um, gee, let me think.... Perhaps so that we have stored energy to fuel our bodies when food isn't immediately available, and to protect our organs. So, today, because food is too available for some of us, we choose to OD on carbs and keep storing fat instead of using it.

The OP was trolling. Other people provided some ignorant comments about an eating plan they know little about. Yup, I generally do try to avoid these silly discussions, but sometimes I have nothing better to do than bang my head against the wall.
    [/quote]

I think you may be confused. If anybody here is trolling, it'd be you. See definition:
    The "trollface", first appearing in 2008, is often used to indicate trolling in Internet culture.[1] Modern usage of the word itself dates from 1980s.
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Also, this thread has made e desperately want a chocolate dipped donut, pancakes, and bacon.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Ketones = that toxic substance produced when your body is burning fat. In high concentrations, can be intoxicating.

Yes, your body can use fat and protein to produce energy...but, YOUR BRAIN needs energy faster than the rest of your body. This is why it mostly relies on a minimum amount of CARBS.

YOU NEED A MINIMUM AMOUNT OF CARBS.
    KETO DIETS are just as bad as HIGH CARBOHYDRATE diets.

Its all about eating "balanced" and not cutting out any type of food group.
    They are all important and all need to be taken in moderation.

Glucose = that toxic substance that your body works hard to keep it from exceeding certain levels. It just so happens it also makes good "rocket fuel" for the body. In high concentrations, it's intoxicating, and deadly (certainly over the short term if the body is unsuccessful at controlling the levels, possibly over the long term, as well).

The human body really only needs 15-50g of carbs per day for normal activities (ie - not marathons) to spar protein loss (and a note - the "protein loss" can come from dietary protein, so you could, in theory increase your protein intake to cover what's needed for gluoconeogenesis. If you allow gluoconeogenesis, then you don't need to eat any carbs (but good luck doing that; if you eat fruits and veggies at all, then you get at least some).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

Also, there's a difference between ketosis (which isn't harmful) and ketoacidosis (which is harmful).

That said, carbs from fruits and veggies are yummy. I love me some in-season kiwi, strawberries, and clementines. :smile:
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    One word - Serotonin! God knows how much I love my beauty sleep!

I think you mean melatonin. That's the stuff that helps you sleep. Serotonin is the stuff that makes you happy. :smile:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    What do you guys consider low, medium and high carb levels?

I have been eating around 100g per day and want to bump it up -- what is the line between moderate and high carb intake?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    What do you guys consider low, medium and high carb levels?

I have been eating around 100g per day and want to bump it up -- what is the line between moderate and high carb intake?

According to the site I linked earlier, "low" is considered .5g per pound of bodyweight, "medium" is about 1g per pound, and "high" is 2-3g/lb.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Ten reasons to give it a rest harping on people who choose to eat low carb:

1. I get adequate carbs from my veggies.

2. I eat more whole, natural foods than most of the people who do not eat low carb.

3. I am healthy (including BMs) when I don't eat grain and sugar.

4. I lose weight when I don't eat grain and sugar.

5. I have no food addictions/binging when I don't eat grain and sugar.

6. I'm not hungry (unless I really am) when I don't eat grain and sugar.

7. I don't need to eat bulky meals to feel full.

9. I don't eat artificial sweeteners.

10. It's my business and it works for me.

Well done! :drinker:

After my 8 mi run tonight, I'm dining on low carb pancakes and chocolate covered strawberries!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Hooboy.... (eyeroll) If our bodies were designed to burn fat, why do we store it so easily?? Really, can't you go start your own thread somewhere and leave off with the low carb propaganda??

If our bodies weren't designed to burn fat, then why do we store it so easily in times of plenty? Or, if our bodies were designed to run almost exclusively on carbs, why can we only store about 7g/lb of lean body mass, as opposed to being able to store a virtually unlimited amount of fat, and all but the most strict and dedicated athletes have no less than about 10 pounds of fat?

We store fat to use as a fuel source when no external one (ie - food) is available. If we didn't, we wouldn't have been able to survive in times of famine.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon and crackers and dark chocolate. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhh
  • chojolitos
    chojolitos Posts: 100
    Options
    Fruits are loaded with carbs so eat your fruits:heart:
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Still the only macronutrient that is optional...bolt.gif

Disagree. The brain REQUIRES 20g of Carbs to function. Whether you get that from fruits, veggies, or (bad for you) grains it doesn't matter....

People who adopt the 40% or higher protein diets are doing great at muscle building; but if your brain goes hungry, you lose IQ points.

Source please?
    Sounds legit. Grains ARE evil and I am smart so... no sources necessary.

Zjwo4.gif
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"(eyeroll) Why do we store fat? Um, gee, let me think.... Perhaps so that we have stored energy to fuel our bodies when food isn't immediately available, and to protect our organs. So, today, because food is too available for some of us, we choose to OD on carbs and keep storing fat instead of using it.

The OP was trolling. Other people provided some ignorant comments about an eating plan they know little about. Yup, I generally do try to avoid these silly discussions, but sometimes I have nothing better to do than bang my head against the wall."
    [/quote]

So now you are the judge and jury on trolling AND the right diet for everyone?? Do us all a favor and take your anti-carb agenda to your own thread. Your only banging your head against the wall when you are trying to get everyone to conform to your way of thinking. Why don't you do what you want and let others do what they want. Control issues much??
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

2. I eat more whole, natural foods than most of the people who do not eat low carb.

In response, with my 150 - 200g of carbs a day.

1. I get adequate carbs from my veggies also. I also eat a lot of fruit and get loads of micronutrients from both

2. How on earth do you know what the composition of my diet is?

3. I am healthy, period.

4. I lose weight when I don't eat more than I burn

5. I have no food addictions/binging

6. I'm not hungry (unless I really am) - LOLz.

7. I don't need to eat bulky meals to feel full either

9. I don't eat artificial sweeteners either (much!) - but that is irrelevent as these are not carbs

10. It works for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What you call "trolling," I call "a celebration of much loved macronutrient." *shrugs* If anything, ranting about the thread is trolling.

If there's a "I love punk and metal" thread, I'm going to be all over that. I'm not going to pop into some Justin Bieber thread to tell them what's wrong with the music they like.

Back on the topic of why I love carbs. Pancakes. I had a beautiful dream I was about to dig into a giant plate of pancakes yesterday, and the alarm went off right as I was about to take a bite. :sad:

Exactly! Thank you Lorrina!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Man oh man. THIS is why I avoid F&N. It might as well be religion we're talking about here. All the jihads between the low carbers, the paleos, moderationers, the vegans, the IFers, the no dairyists and such makes this entire forum play out like a never ending loop of scenes from The Warriors. I mean, this was started out as a *joke* thread, and still the beheadings begin.

Weird to me because after all the pseudoscience plays out, all of the various methods lead down the same road. Calorie restriction. All the factions give you their claptrap about why cutting out this is better than cutting out that, but it all ends up as less total calories during a 7 day period. But don't let that stop you all from picking up your virtual machetes and hacking away at each other.

Can YOOOOOOOU DIG IT

http://youtu.be/V-OYKd8SVrI
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Well done! :drinker:

After my 8 mi run tonight, I'm dining on low carb pancakes and chocolate covered strawberries!

What the hell is a low carb pancake? That just sounds awful. Low carb and pancake shouldn't even be able to go together. Ever!