101 reasons Carbs are great and should be part of your diet

Options

Replies

• vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    1. I cut carbs a lot and lost weight much faster

Oh, sorry I must be in the wrong thread.

I also lost weight by cutting carbs. That said, after doing so I initially got very depressed even though I had nothing to be depressed about.

I think carbs have their place for people who don't need to lose weight and are just maintaining; however, they don't agree with some people who are trying to lose weight.

Must admit I do like carbs though. My favourite ones: brown rice (yes, really!), chocolate, cherries.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Many people who have looked at my food diary have asked me if I eat straight butter. And my current chocolate of choice is now 85%, so I'm getting closer to straight chocolate.

I enjoy my butter & 85% chocolate but I'm still eating them in the closet! :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • susiebear29
    Options
    I LOVE CARBS!!!!!!!! they make me happy that is enough reason for me thank you!!!!!! :smile:
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Scurvy, beriberi, etc are not carbohydrate deficient diseases, but rather vitamin deficiencies. It is pretty trivial to get these nutrients without consuming carbohydrates.

They are vitamin deficiences related to foods that are considered 'carbs'. Yes, you can take a multivitamin.

I've yet to see someone do a 0 carb diet and I really wish them luck if they tried.

Having said that, you only have 3 macronutrients, carbs, fat and protein. You do need a certain amount of fat and protein but those numbers are fairly low. There are people who eat an extraordinarily low diet in each and they aren't deficient and it is pretty hard to be deficient in both unless you are in a country that has food source issues. So we generally eat a mix of the 3. How you define that mix is up to you.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I cut carbs and didn't lose an ounce... Now that I count calories and lose... I think cutting carbs is just a form of calorie restriction - especially for people who have a lot of weight to lose...(shhhhh) can't let the low carbers hear this.

I do low carb and you're right ;) well I keep my calories at 1800-1900 and focus on getting my carbs from veggies/ berries / nuts etc because if I just count calories I'll eat my days worth in ice cream and cake and pizza and beer! haha counting carbs restricts a lot of the junk food that I shouldn't eat anyway and most of that stuff that is high in carbs I tend to over indulge on ... so it's so much easier for me to just say ohhhh that oreo coffee coolata and donut have like 200 carbs I better stay away! than just incorporate the calories into my daily limit.

Little tricks and stuff work for some people and don't for others - I think when people say low carb they forget that most people low carbing still eat carbs they just mean they don't have a lot of bread and sugar and stuff they try to keep the carbs from veggies and fruits and nuts and stuff...

:) everyone's different - do what works for you

and edit: I also found out I feel better having cobb salads and stuff for lunch instead of a sandwich with mostly bread and I feel better having a salad or heaping pile of veggies with my steak instead of potatoes or fries - but that's how my body is with what I eat. I'm also convinced the lack of sugar in my diet helps a lot with my endometriosis pain... but that might just be in my head.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Here's what is true: there are no known essential carbohydrates and no known carbohydrate-deficient diseases.

What about glycogen storage disease? Ok, now I'm just being a smarty pants dietitian.

But...

If too much protein is known to damage the kidneys and too much fat is known to damage the liver, where exactly are you going to safely get the energy you need without carbs? ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    1. They are a good source of energy.
    2. They are delicious.

Oops! Looks like I only needed 2 reasons.

I :heart: carbs!
    :drinker: :smokin:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    As much as the low carbers hate me:

An essential nutrient is defined as a nutrient required for survival that cannot be manufactured in sufficient amounts by the body.

Carbohydrate is not essential because of gluconeogenesis.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Still the only macronutrient that is optional...bolt.gif

Disagree. The brain REQUIRES 20g of Carbs to function. Whether you get that from fruits, veggies, or (bad for you) grains it doesn't matter....

People who adopt the 40% or higher protein diets are doing great at muscle building; but if your brain goes hungry, you lose IQ points.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    OH-and you're right-let's make this positive.

Favorite carbohydrates:

1.) Fresh baked bread (especially these yummy yeast rolls I may make with dinner tonight)
    2.) Yams. Enough said. I love sweet potatoes...and squash for that matter.
    3.) A big bowl of fresh peaches with a little bit of fro yo. Awesomeness.

I love bananas.
    Also, my greek yogurt needs something awesome in it (honey, fruit, SOMETHING)
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Disagree. The brain REQUIRES 20g of Carbs to function. Whether you get that from fruits, veggies, or (bad for you) grains it doesn't matter....

People who adopt the 40% or higher protein diets are doing great at muscle building; but if your brain goes hungry, you lose IQ points.

Source please?
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think when people say low carb they forget that most people low carbing still eat carbs they just mean they don't have a lot of bread and sugar and stuff they try to keep the carbs from veggies and fruits and nuts and stuff...

It seems based on this thread that the low carbers are the ones that forget that :)

I would think that low carbers could agree that carbs are great as part of their diet rather than argue that carbs aren't great while incorporating them into their diet.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Source please?
    Sounds legit. Grains ARE evil and I am smart so... no sources necessary.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Without carbs, my pizza would be just a slimy, sloppy mess of cheese and pepperoni and tomato sauce. And really hard to eat without utensils.

But there's carbs in the sauce, too, so it would be just cheese and pepperoni. Which are just wonderful as a snack, but not a meal.

Think outside the box...you can make pizza crust from cauliflower and it stands up to all the topings and you can hold an eat it just like any other pizza.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Without carbs, my pizza would be just a slimy, sloppy mess of cheese and pepperoni and tomato sauce. And really hard to eat without utensils.

But there's carbs in the sauce, too, so it would be just cheese and pepperoni. Which are just wonderful as a snack, but not a meal.

Think outside the box...you can make pizza crust from cauliflower and it stands up to all the topings and you can hold an eat it just like any other pizza.

You missed this follow-up post

If anyone ever again tries to get me to eat pizza toppings on cauliflower and tells me it's called "pizza" they're gonna get a B*tchslap. No offense, but pizza has a crust. period.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    edit for double post
  • Sidesteal
    Options

You missed this follow-up post

If anyone ever again tries to get me to eat pizza toppings on cauliflower and tells me it's called "pizza" they're gonna get a B*tchslap. No offense, but pizza has a crust. period.

^ I approve of this post :)
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Give me fat.

1. Fat is a great source of energy.
    2. Fat is more delicious than carbs will ever be.

Bacon > Crackers.

:drinker:
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Give me fat.

Bacon > Crackers.

Agreed. Fat is what makes everything have flavor. Everyone knows that fat free food tastes horrible, mostly because they took out all the good stuff and replaced it with just more sugar.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Give me fat.

Bacon > Crackers.

Agreed. Fat is what makes everything have flavor. Everyone knows that fat free food tastes horrible, mostly because they took out all the good stuff and replaced it with just more sugar.
    Peaches, mangoes, bananas, dates, apples, grapes, cherries, blueberries, strawberries, grapefruit, oranges, nectarines, apricots, carrots, radishes, jalapenos, sweet bells, crisp lettuce, garden tomatoes, cilantro, and cantaloupe are all low fat, and very flavorful.