101 reasons Carbs are great and should be part of your diet

Options

Replies

• IntenseRSX04
    Options
    for someone who is sedentary or just does low intensity cardio, sure carbs aren't really necessary... but anyone who wants to maximize performance in the gym, build muscle, trains intensely and wants to maintain muscle while dieting, etc. NEEDS to consume some amount of carbs (preferably post-workout) to replenish muscle glycogen stores and optimize recovery. not to mention that ammonia is a byproduct of gluconeogenesis and thats toxic ****. i think short periods of low carb are fine (carb cycling), but if kept for too long it will do more harm than good
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hooboy.... (eyeroll) If our bodies were designed to burn fat, why do we store it so easily?? Really, can't you go start your own thread somewhere and leave off with the low carb propaganda??

If our bodies weren't designed to burn fat, then why do we store it so easily in times of plenty? Or, if our bodies were designed to run almost exclusively on carbs, why can we only store about 7g/lb of lean body mass, as opposed to being able to store a virtually unlimited amount of fat, and all but the most strict and dedicated athletes have no less than about 10 pounds of fat?

We store fat to use as a fuel source when no external one (ie - food) is available. If we didn't, we wouldn't have been able to survive in times of famine.

And my point would be, based on physiology, our bodies are desiged to burn fat, carbs and protein. I never said our bodies were designed to run almost exclusively on carbs so don't put words in my mouth. Our bodies are quite obviously not designed to burn and one macronutrient exclusively. Or even primarily. Different macros for different functions. All in balance. It's only those with a 'one size fits all" mentality that are pushing the "we were designed to burn fat" and other similar myths.

Again, if that's what you want to do and it works for you great for you. Your way is not the only way. It is only one of many. Why is it that low carb people are the only ones that push a "one way" agenda and yet others who may follow a different method are constantly saying " that's fine if it works for you" but I'm doing just fine with a different way, and BTW, the research indicates that my works just as well as yours long term and maybe my goals are different than yours? I, myself have made that statement at least 4 times in this thread, a thread about: WHAT IS GREAT ABOUT CARBS, I remind you.

This isn't some thread about low carb or not. What is the issue with low carb people that they have to push thier agenda like the one true religion at evey opportunity??
  • IntenseRSX04
    Options
    Ten reasons to give it a rest harping on people who choose to eat low carb:

1. I get adequate carbs from my veggies.

2. I eat more whole, natural foods than most of the people who do not eat low carb.

3. I am healthy (including BMs) when I don't eat grain and sugar.

4. I lose weight when I don't eat grain and sugar.

5. I have no food addictions/binging when I don't eat grain and sugar.

6. I'm not hungry (unless I really am) when I don't eat grain and sugar.

7. I don't need to eat bulky meals to feel full.

9. I don't eat artificial sweeteners.

10. It's my business and it works for me.

Well done! :drinker:

After my 8 mi run tonight, I'm dining on low carb pancakes and chocolate covered strawberries!

What the hell is a low carb pancake? That just sounds awful. Low carb and pancake shouldn't even be able to go together. Ever!

1. egg whites and whey protein in a blender
    2. pour in a pan and cook like pancakes
    3. spread peanut butter on top... you're welcome
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This thread went to an ugly place while I was off using carbs, so I'll reset:

1) Carbs are a good source of energy
    2) Carbs are delicious.

If you don't like points 1 or 2, I would encourage you to press the "New Topic" button and start a thread that suits your preferences better.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^TROLL MOVE^^^^^^^^^^^^

:drinker:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    carbs from vegetables, fruit, nuts, and dairy are very important. (well maybe not dairy but i love my cream and cheese.. and sour cream.. and yogurt.. mmm)

carbs from sugar, rice, and grainy things, not so much. way too easy to overeat.

yesterday my sister mindlessly munched on an entire bag of cheetos and didn't even notice til my son went to have some. there was like an ounce left! that's ~1500 calories she ate without even thinking about it. i used to do that. kinda gross now.
    i just binge on celery and feel much better about it :P
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Blueberries and strawberries. After almost a week without any fresh produce I plan on eating a bowlful tonight even though I'm still stuffed from dinner. Since I started eating low carb I appreciate each and every delicious carb I'm able to eat. I :heart: carbs.
  • mmapags
    Options

2) Carbs are delicious.

If you don't like points 1 or 2, I would encourage you to press the "New Topic" button and start a thread that suits your preferences better.

And I likes 'em. Mostly nice healthy complex ones with fruits and veggies mainly to the tune of 150 to 200 grams a day. Great source of potassium in some bananas or spinach. A little pizza or pasta once in a while. I am an italian boy after all. And I'm healthy, losing fat, developing muscle and I feel great! I must be a genetic mutant!!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options

2) Carbs are delicious.

I would like to add another point, point 3.

3) If eating carbs from natural sources like starches (potato, squash, corn), they do not cause diseases that affect humans. They only have harmful chemicals because "we" spray it with chemicals. Grow starches in your backyard, away from the poisons and they are "clean" sources of energy. They don't contain saturated fat, only contains essential fats and adequate protein.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I do want to make a distinction between low carb and folks like me that eat nothing but carbs and low fat. The difference, to me, is that I cannot afford to spend money on meat. Starches like potatoes, and corn; grains like hulled barley and rice are very inexpensive.

So, if you can afford to eat meat and fat, great. I choose to save some money.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

2) Carbs are delicious.

And I likes 'em. Mostly nice healthy complex ones with fruits and veggies mainly to the tune of 150 to 200 grams a day. Great source of potassium in some bananas or spinach. A little pizza or pasta once in a while. I am an italian boy after all. And I'm healthy, losing fat, developing muscle and I feel great! I must be a genetic mutant!!

You are a wizard. lol
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You boost your metabolism when you eat carbs!
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Opinions are like arseholes.....
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I can think of at least 35 reasons why carbs arent so great. (See ticker below)
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options

Opinions are like arseholes.....

why yes... yes they are!
  • mmapags
    Options
    Blueberries and strawberries. After almost a week without any fresh produce I plan on eating a bowlful tonight even though I'm still stuffed from dinner. Since I started eating low carb I appreciate each and every delicious carb I'm able to eat. I :heart: carbs.

Niiiiiccce!
  • mmapags
    Options
    I can think of at least 35 reasons why carbs arent so great. (See ticker below)

So, did you miss the rest of the thread and the reset on the thread? This is not about how great you did without carbs and why they aren't so great. So, if you think they aren't do great, you're at the wrong party obviously. This is about why they are!! ( He says while eating a bowl of bing cherries)
  • MoreBean13
    Options

2) Carbs are delicious.

I would like to add another point, point 3.

3) If eating carbs from natural sources like starches (potato, squash, corn), they do not cause diseases that affect humans. They only have harmful chemicals because "we" spray it with chemicals. Grow starches in your backyard, away from the poisons and they are "clean" sources of energy. They don't contain saturated fat, only contains essential fats and adequate protein.

If I had a backyard, it would be an option. Probably not one I would take because I'm allergic to domestic work-type stuff, but I only have a little patch of grass for my dog to poop on.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    This isn't some thread about low carb or not. What is the issue with low carb people that they have to push their agenda like the one true religion at every opportunity??

It's like a weird cult. The low carb cult. Scary **** I tell you.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Fruit is awesome, like the best food stuffs ever so that makes carbs great right there.
    Veggies are yum too, and bread! Rye breads, Italian breads, multi-grain breads.... fresh with butter and jam.