For all the committed folks... Do you schedule exercise?

Options
I am still trying desperately to get into an exercise routine but I always seem to put it off or something comes up and I say, "Oh, well I will just get to the gym tomorrow." For those of you who have had success losing weight and keeping up an exercise routine, how do you view exercise? Do you schedule it in each day and look at it as an immovable appointment? Any suggestions/advice is MUCH appreciated. Thank you!!!

Replies

• oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Still working on it myself but by the end of the week, I intend to have it scheduled in my gmail calendar (which syncs with my phone and that will give me reminders about my 'appointment').

Posting to see what others say as well :)
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yes- I look at my workouts the same way I look at other things I prioritize in my life. Sleep, work, eat, workout- after those 4, everything else is secondary.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Every morning 4:00 am (5:00 am on weekends).
  • hmarts78
    Options
    Yes, it is a part of my daily routine! I have two children, 7 and 4. I get up at 515 in the morning, get ready for the gym, get my daughter ready for school, and go to the gym from 630 till 830 (hubby puts her on the bus for me). The only time I do not go to the gym is if hubby has to be out of the house like at 730, getting up at 4 is just to early for me, lol. Making it a part of my day at the same time works out for everyone in my house and I feel great!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I have some flexability, but not a lot. I don't say I HAVE to be the the gym for 7, but I tell myself, I am going ot the gym for an hour or so after dinner. Then I make myself go.

You just have to buckle down and do it. No more "I'll do it tomorrow"
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Exercising every day is non-negotiable for me. If my day is busy and that means I have to wait until my wife and child are sleeping, then that's what I have to do. Yes, occasionally my neighbors see me working out in my garage at 11pm.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It's on the calendar, just like a dentist appointment or picking a kid up from practice.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I do schedule it or I have found it much easier to talk myself out of going. I workout on my lunch break at work so now even my co-workers know about the standing daily appt I have with the gym lol.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a lot of success yet due to tons of obstacles, but I find scheduling the exercises like it's appointment helps a lot. It's like when I was at school and scheduled a time to go to the library to do my homework. Just makes life a tiny bit less stressful.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It's as much of my routine as showering and brushing my teeth... except that I don't have rest days from showering and brushing my teeth.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes, I go every day after work, I don't let myself go home until I've hit the gym. Very rare exceptions (working super late for an emergency for example).
  • CopperGalaxy
    CopperGalaxy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Day 1) Walk/jog for 30 mins
    Day 2) Rest
    Day 3) Indoor rock climbing for 2 or 3 hours
    Day 4) Rest
    Day 5) Aerobics 30 mins
    Day 6) Walk/jog 30 mins
    Day 7) Rest

Sometimes I go for a walk on my rest days if my muscles aren't aching so much that they are screaming for mercy!
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I smiled when I saw your headline because I misread the word "committed." Being in a committed relationship has been a big help to me in getting back on the gym wagon. He likes exercising with me and basically won't go to the gym unless I initiate it. The best trick for me is to call him at lunchtime when I still have energy, suggest a gym night, and ask him to hold me to it that evening, even if I'm slow to get started.

Now my caveat: I'm more of an on-again/off-again exerciser. I'll work out for a month following a magazine tone-up plan or buy a Groupon that lets me try something new like Zumba or hot yoga, then slack off when the semester gets hard or work steps up.I thrive on structure (use up the Groupon before it expires, follow the plan for magazine-worthy results, etc.), so I play to that as a strength. My weakness is putting it off at the end of the day, which is where having a buddy is a lifesaver. Hope that helps!
  • 4schrocks
    4schrocks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Working only 2 minutes from a gym helps but I pretty much go everyday at lunch. It not only gets my exercise in daily but it saves me money because I'm not off shopping or eating out like I used to do.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule it per se, but I have a weekly goal: I aim to do 45+ minutes 5 days a week. I WILL NOT do less than three days. Usually I wind up with four days worth, which is fine by me. What helps is logging the exercise on a calendar so I can see that I have x number of days left in the week to fit in x more exercise sessions. I'm a visual person...

Hope that's helpful. :drinker:
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I do it first thing in the morning so I don't have time to make up excuses (because I definitely will if I do it later on). The only times I usually skip are if I'm injured, ill or wasn't able to go to bed until very late and know I will be run down if I don't get enough sleep AND exercise. Right now, I've been sick for over a week so I've "scheduled" myself to pick back up on Monday so I have some scheduled recovery time and a solid date to get back on track. I also have a blank calendar printed out and after I do my workout, I write what I did on the calendar so I can track it and see where I've taken days off, what I've done, etc.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    the straightjacket gets in the way....but I do what I can....bouncing off of padded walls burns some cals.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Automatic. Just part of my day.
  • 35Janet
    35Janet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set time for exercise, I usually just plan it according to my work schedule. Although I'm not a morning person, I like to work out at the beginning of the day so that I don't have to worry about fitting it in later on. If you want to exercise in the morning but begin to lose motivation once you wake up, you could always sleep in your workout clothes so that all you have to do is go to the gym.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I just do it. I go after work most days, I bring my daughter to gym(child watch, all her friends from nieghborhood go too) or if I have something going on, I get up at 0400 and work out. Wherever and however I can workout I do. You dont need a gym or fancy equipment or a ton of space....My trainer/mentor shot a workout video in a closet the other day.... Good luck to you!!! xx