For all the committed folks... Do you schedule exercise?

Options

Replies

• DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    My running 4 times a week is non-negotiable. I've made it a priority because it makes me feel better and sleep better. Exercising has replaced watching television. I even got rid of cable tv because I'm hardly watching anything at all.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Scheduled but flexible. M W F at 4pm. Then cool down and fix supper. If I'm running late, generally folks are on their own for supper and I still lift! Gardening, riding, walking, etc . . . are done frequently too--add some elliptical if I can't get outside much.
  • hpoddan
    hpoddan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I absolutely schedule my exercise!! I used to do the exact same thing where I would just put it off and think that tomorrow would be easier/less busy/I'd have more energy...fill in the blank with anything you would like because I could come up with every excuse under the sun as to why I wasn't going :) You need to find a workout that you enjoy that you are able to schedule in. If going to the gym and running on the treadmill isn't it, then find something different. I found Zumba and began by working two classes a week into my schedule. Now I make sure that I go to six classes in five days (when they hold them) and I get disappointed if I have to miss one of them!! Almost 90 pounds and a year later I have added other exercie to my schedule (some of which I still try to get out of) but now I see the results and know that the dedication does pay off!!!
  • alfie1313
    alfie1313 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love working out, no need to schedule it cause as soon as im out of bed im wanting to do my running or swimming :-))) Its the rest days i have a problem with, although i know its important to have them my body is saying "go go go i wanna exercise" lol :-)))
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    Yep, have to schedule it. If I don't, I won't do it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    For the past 8 months it was Mon, Wed, Fri at 8:15 at the gym for weight lifting. Before that it was 6am 5 days a week at home for cardio videos.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yes, I schedule some form of exercise every day. About once a week I 'allow' myself to miss it, but instead do something physical that needs doing like heavy gardening or strenuous cleaning - but I don't 'count' it as exercise, I view it as a rest day.

I learned that I have to treat exercise like every other chore in life. Every day I schedule a shower, meals, TV watching, shopping, going to work, etc. so why exercise? It is an integral part of my health - as much as brushing teeth! It took me a long time to get to this point, but now it is a habit that I intend to maintain for the rest of my life.
  • LadonnaFunk
    LadonnaFunk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom, and I have exercise worked into our daily routine. After lunch the kids nap, and I exercise. I just view it as something I have to do every day, much like feeding the kids meals, and unloading the dishwasher.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have four kids, and I am the assistant director at a 911 center, so if I don't schedule it, it doesn't happen. The only way I can get my exercise in right now is to get up at 4 a.m. and do it before our day starts. Every once in a while I will have a day where my alarm clock goes off and I say "heck no" and go back to sleep, but it does not happen often. I love getting my exercise in first thing for 2 reasons. First, it really makes me feel fantastic all day, and second, that way no matter what comes up during the day, I have at least gotten some exercise in.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Several days a week I lay out my workout clothes before bed, so that when my alarm goes off at 5:30 I can stumble out of bed without thinking. If I give myself time to think I'll get lazy.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Yes. Exercise is not optional any more than work or school is. Since I started viewing it that way, motivation to do it has not been an issue.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about married folks scheduling sexy time.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've been attending Karate classes for about the last 6 weeks, which obviously have to be somewhat on a schedule, though I can be flexible on which days I go. Going to the gym for weightlifting is completely flexible; I try to keep to the same scheduled day, but can wait for the best time to make it happen (right after we get the baby down for a nap, for instance).
  • KandyF
    KandyF Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did "tomorrow (or another day this week) for sure" for almost a year. Then we made it a morning instead of an after work thing. We get up super early, and dress for the gym, pack our day's clothes and head out. We don't get a long time, but we get something every day. After a while, it has become just part of the normal routine. Since we're in gym clothes, we have to go into the Y (instead of drive past it). Once in a great while we're running so far behind that we wind up just going in and taking our showers (I have a train I have to catch, so there's no leeway of when we leave the Y), but I'd say 98% of the time we get in some amount of work out.

That also seems to "set the day" and I'm more active during the day (take the long way around to go to the copier, go for a walk at lunch that sort of thing).

It was hard to start, but now I can hardly imagine without doing it.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about married folks scheduling sexy time.

^^^LMAO!!! :laugh: :wink: :noway:
  • kylemdodge
    Options
    I believe that having a schedule for your workout is a very important part of losing weight and maintaining weight loss. Just like a work schedule it keeps you in a routine. This routine eventually becomes second nature and you will no longer have to talk yourself into going to the gym. I personally work out first thing in the morning. It ensures that nothing else in my day can get in the way. I used to work out in the afternoon but found that I was more apt to have something "come up" that would take the place of my workout. As much as people hate to admit it we are creatures of habit. If we develop the right habits we will inevitably stick to them. I know not everyone has the ability to work out at the same time each day but if you can I would certainly recommend it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No. As long as I get in my required exercise for the week, it doesn't matter to me when I do it. Routines bore me and make me less likely to follow through. And I mix it up so my body doesn't get used to just one activity.
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    start commuting by bike and no schedules are ever needed :) it's just gotta get you to your destination and back!
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes, I schedule mine. I hit the treadmill both of my 15 minute breaks during the work week. I also stay late 2-3 days and walk an additional 30 minutes. We're lucky to have a few treadmills and ellipticals where I work. :)
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I get up at 4:30am every day to work out. It's the only time in my day where I know nothing will come up to distract me from getting what I need to do done.