For all the committed folks... Do you schedule exercise?

Options

Replies

• juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! I have spent my entire adult life taking care of everyone else. It is my turn! Sunday / Tues / Thurs gym. Saturday / Wed / Sun am run. Monday is rest. I have become quite anal about it, lol. Getting it done!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I go to sleep ON TIME at night, and am therefore able to get up early in the morning.
    Workout DONE before 7am on most days!
    I actually LOVE it.
    If I don't do it early in the day, i just can't seem to get to it (busy family).
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It is on my schedule, being a single parent requires this.......runs are either AM or Lunch time and lifting is right after work. Streight to the gym, I do not come home first, too easy to be distracted if I go home.

My workouts/week looks like this:

Monday - run (usually 4 miles) and weights (Chest/Abs)
    Tuesday - run with RunKnox group (5-10 miles)
    Wednesday - run (5-12 miles) and weights (legs/Abs)
    Thursday - weights (back/bicepts)
    Friday - run (4-10 miles) and weights (Shoulders/Tricepts)
    Saturday - long run with RunKnox (7-20 miles)
    Sunday - Rest
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I normally do it during my youngest sons nap time. It fits best into my schedule, but if I can for some reason (like today because I have to take my oldest son to orientation during nap time). I didn't my workout after I fed my boys breakfast. I see the positive changes my body is making from exercising 5-6 days a week. That is my motivation to make sure I fit my workout in some time in my day. So technically it is schedule, but at no specific time. Just the best time around my boys' schedule.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I make it a daily routine. The weekends is up in the air (as for time of day), but during the week I go every night between 8 and 9. I am not one to wake up early in the morning so a morning routine would be a disaster. Sometimes I'll miss a day or two here and there, but it's pretty much a staple in my daily routine.
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Even though I've had a crazy busy schedule with school for the past few months. I like to do my workouts in the morning before work, so I get up at 4:30 and If I do it after work...it's just a when I can type of deal.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes i schedule "me time" which is workout time-4 times a week, my husband is very supportive-he has seen the changes in my body and always encourages me to go even when I don't want to.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily schedule an exact time, because my schedule is hectic and I can't do the same days/times every week. However, I do view my 3x a week minimum as an absolute, and I do everything I can to make it happen (even if it means working out super early in the day or late at night!)
  • gustik25
    Options
    I have a workout buddy. I'm a stay at home mom with a 3 year old and 1 year old twins. Since I can't get to the gym, I have my buddy come over to my place after the kids are in bed and we workout. I also have a treadmill which I try to get onto a few times a week. I do think its important to schedule your workouts into your day. Like you, I do find it to be a challenge to do so especially with my three little ones and my husband works out of town for weeks. Last night by buddy came over at 9:30 and we worked out till 11. I know that seems quite late but it really was the only time that I was able to schedule it in when I don't have kids screaming for my attention. Plus I find with a workout buddy, you're less likely to skip a workout because you rely on each other for motivation.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Part of my morning routine Mon-Sat. Get up at 4:30. Drink coffee with whey protein. Work out from 5 - 6:15ish. Only difference is that on Saturday's I "sleep in" until 5:45 and cycle from 6:30 to whenever done.

Start with 3 days a week that have immovable times. Once you get used to the routine (it will take a while so be patient bu don't waver) you can add a day in until you are working out 4-6 days a week.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I treat it the same like taking a bath or brushing my teeth. I schedule my workouts (cardio & weights are done on separate days) & also rest day. Sometimes I swap days whenever the schedule calls for it but I make sure to fill up my 6 day workout per week.

In your case you're still starting out which makes scheduling a bit difficult. However once you pass thru that stage then working out becomes your second nature. Habits aren't formed overnight, usually we develop it after several weeks or even months.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to treat exercise as you do a job. That being said, if I aint making money, it is REALLY hard for me to do that. However, I set myself a goal every week of calories to 'burn' via exercise and my HRM and try to hit that goal. Sometimes, things just come up, and I have to work late or do something for a family member, so I don't want to let my exercise intervene with that.
  • geo1437
    geo1437 Posts: 38
    Options
    My schedule is non stop. I manage a small business with 3 locations, and I am a partner in another business in a completely different industry. I work at least 6 days a week, though trufully i am usually doing something work related the one day I am home which is sunday. I get to work around 7:30-8:00 in the morning and i usually dont get home until at the ealiest 7:30-8:00 at night. So when i decided to start on my journey to a healthier and better me, i knew i had to schedule a time for me to work out, and more importantly i had to COMMIT to that scheduled time. That time is 5am. I get up 6 days a week at 5am so i can "get the job done". I would be lying if i told that it didn't SUCK for the first week or so getting up to work out because it did. but as each day passed it sucked a little less, and i was a little less tired at the end of the day. it has been 5 weeks now, and it has become a habit. I am doing the insanity workout and over the course of these past 5 weeks i not only feel stronger, but i have more energy...much more energy. So the point is find a way to schedule in the time, make it the same time every day so it becomes a habit. and once you do, you will wonder why didn't do it years ago...i know i am wondering that very thing right now
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Yes. Also, knowing exactly what I'm going to do helps. When I first started, I didn't have it planned out so there were days I'd just go "What am I going to do today?" and end up not doing anything. After that, I decided to do a jillian dvd every day and c25k 3 days a week. Then I was doing weights 3 days a week, running 3 days a week. I'm currently doing weights 5 days a week, running 3 days a week. Friday is ALWAYS a rest day for me.
  • denisel321
    Options
    I am still trying desperately to get into an exercise routine but I always seem to put it off or something comes up and I say, "Oh, well I will just get to the gym tomorrow." For those of you who have had success losing weight and keeping up an exercise routine, how do you view exercise? Do you schedule it in each day and look at it as an immovable appointment? Any suggestions/advice is MUCH appreciated. Thank you!!!

Yes, absolutely! I schedule them and they carry as much importance as any other appointment. They have to, especially on those tough days where I'm less motivated or feeling like I want an "out" from working out.

I think it has pissed off some of my friends in the past when I wouldn't cancel a workout when they wanted to get together. It was mostly friends who didn't have any weight to lose - they just didn't get it why I was working out so much and would say so. They also never commented on my weight loss or encouraged me at all.

Fitness comes first! And thankfully my good friends understand :)
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    my gym is by appointment only, I have a set schedule. only missed one workout in 7 months!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes, my body wakes me up at 5 every morning, regardless if it’s a work day or not, so I can exercise. I get mind done first thing because there is no telling how my day will go or how I will feel after work/school.
  • rsdisney
    rsdisney Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i set a time period daily and make sure that I keep it. I know that life can get in the way and you may miss a day or two, so make your goal to be 5 days a week. That is obtainable.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Schedule? No. I just go get it done.
  • Cassie8877
    Cassie8877 Posts: 177
    Options
    I'm also trying to find a good way to
    Schedule it but with two kids and a puppy and a full time job having a set schedule
    Is kinda hard but u have to push urself to do what u want n to get the results u want u must put in the work!! U can do it! :)