For all the committed folks... Do you schedule exercise?

Options

Replies

• Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It took a couple of months to get into a routine, but now, I can't imagine going a day without doing SOMETHING--even if it's just a mile walk with the dogs. But to answer your questions, yes, I have scheduled exercise into my days. I know that at noon, hubby and I will go for a 2 1/2 mile walk. Two days a week, we schedule gym time. And now, I plan my runs early in the day so that when evening rolls around, I'm psyched and ready to go. It will become a habit if you just do it consistently. Don't make excuses. You will never regret making the time to do it, but you will usually regret not doing it!
  • francesiax
    Options
    Monday, Wednesday and Friday are my gym days with SUnday as a walking/jogging day. I never let anything get in the way of those days. However, if I did have to move a session I would make sure to do exercise on a free day.
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yep, a schedule helps me stay on track.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I schedule it in but remain flexible too. If I'm due a run but invited to an awesome night out instead, I'll power walk or swim in my lunch break and get up the next morning to run.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Some I do, some I don't.

Cardio I genuinely enjoy, and will happily do it any change I get so I don't feel the need to schedule it.

Lifting I don't enjoy as much and am more apt to skip a workout, so that gets scheduled.
  • PierdoPeso
    Options
    No, I don't schedule it. I just get up and do it - 4 AM on weekdays and 1-2 hours later on Saturdays.
  • RachelLovitt
    RachelLovitt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The only way I have been able to do it is to make it a part of my regular workday morning routine. When I put it off and sleep in late, it makes it soooo much harder to get up the next morning and do it. And if I put it off until after work, I am too tired to do it and just want to relax before bed.

So, I "schedule" it the same way I schedule waking up, brushing my teeth, etc. It is just a part of my workday routine...
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I schedule it in-sometimes not as much on the weekend (other than my Sunday run) but if you were to look at my google calendar, every M-F from 5am-30pm, I'm running or biking or something. Same thing for after work-I have something scheduled for that too but it's not as set in stone as the morning ones. Evening ones are more or less to just have something to do on the nights I'm bored
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    OP, I did the same... If I could find an excuse, I would. I finally had to get a personal trainer to hold me accountable. Apparently, I can't find the will within myself to work towards my goals *LOL* Baby steps...

But if you KNOW that about yourself, you're going to have to find a way to change it... or, nothing will change.
  • vixmonsta
    vixmonsta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i go to a class and it's on tues, weds and fris... so that's when i go
    if i am not doing anything in particular at a weekend i try and go for a walk or hike with a friend or 3...
    and sometimes i even get my wii fit out....
    even went for a run(jog/stagger) in the park last week as one of the classes was cancelled...

so yes it's scheduled
  • sunflowerkid2011
    sunflowerkid2011 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been having the same trouble, but I've found it easier to manage if I write it down in my planner. I also find that it helps to workout first thing in the morning while my daughter is sleeping so I have no excuses not to exercise. I have "planned" to do Yoga and go for an hour walk Mon, Wed, and Fri and to do circuit training with weights on Tues/Thurs. I had success with planning out a schedule in the past and this seems to be working for me right now... only been doing it for the past 3 weeks. I read somewhere that it can take 4-6 weeks to create a habit. If I can just get over the hump... =) Hope this helps! Good luck to you!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I will schedule a month or more at a time and it is changeable, but only if the circumstances are completely unresolvable. (life gets in the way....most times you can work around it to keep on track, but sometimes, there truly is nothing you can do about it) I also always work out first thing in the morning (before work). Life doesn't interfere as much if you do morning workouts. (although getting up early takes some dedication and will power some days!)
  • twoisplenty
    twoisplenty Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Its scheduled for me. M-W-F at 9am I joined with a friend and we decided that if one of us cancels a day then they have to put $5 in a jar. It holds us both accountable and its nice to have a gym buddy.
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I made a chart which has sections for the exercise i'm going to do each day, and a little box to put my weight for when i weigh myself on wednesdays.

i never make an allocated time slot, but i read a little thing somewhere saying 'do exercise first thing in the morning before you realise what you're doing!' haha, works for me! :)
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I learned years ago that, for me, trying to exercise after work was a big no go. Something always came up like a work related meeting, working late, networking event, just too tired, etc. So about 7 years ago I moved my workouts to the morning before work. It's not for everyone, so understand that. But I have found that by doing this I am able to stick with exercising every weekday and at least one weekend day. I know this sounds crazy, but I get to the gym by 5 am and am able to get in at least an hour, sometimes almost 2 hours depending up on what training I'm doing that day, all before most people are even awake. And the benefit is that, because most people won't commit to getting up that early to go to the gym, you never have to wait for any machines. Never, ever. It's awesome.

Getting up early to work out does take some getting used to. But just like any other "habit" after about 3 weeks it's routine. I love it! Give it a shot. If you want to do something badly enough, you'll find a way to make it happen.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    For running - if the run is scheduled for a particular day, it happens, 95% of the time. I don't have a time slot, but if it's supposed to happen, unless something very urgent indeed comes up, it does happen. I do make sure that I run x5 a week, no matter what .

My other working out does, sometimes, play second fiddle to the rest of my life.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    And to all of you that get up at 4am... W.T.H.??:noway:

;) I kid, I kid...
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    workouts, yes :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    feeding family, not so much :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

seriously, though - I meet with PT on Mondays, Tuesday & Thursdays and run on Sat/Sun AM - everything else is planned accordingly.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I don't i fit it in wherever I have time and/or motivation. A schedule can be changed, things come up life happens. A schedule for the gym simply would not work for me.
  • MyBodyMyMachine
    Options
    Without a doubt! I look at it as being one more appointment for the day. One more thing that has to be done before I'm done for the day. I schedule and plan out my workouts for the week and write them in a fitness journal as well. Knowing what I have no the agenda keeps me on track as well.