Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not at all surprised that my outfits got critiqued. I don't really like many of the junior outfits posted. The difference was I kept my negative thoughts in my head (or in PMs or on my proflie). I just thought it was only fair that I open myself up to comments like the other ladies did. I still prefer my style to the junior styles presented. Although I might take some suggestions into consideration. I do think some fun chunky jewelry or shoes (although you can't see my shoes in many) would add a lot. I actually make jewelry but sadly in the 2 years of his life, my baby has broken most of my pieces.

I hope you didn't take what I said as rude because that was not what I meant at all by what I said, I was just stating that for me your style is not my style, if what you wear makes you feel good about yourself then more power to you, just as if for me shopping in the junior's department makes me feel good then why should you or anyone else tell me not to shop there? Because I'm 30? It's my style, no I do not go out of my way to find obnoxious flashy things there, I mainly look for stripes like I said before, just something I enjoy wearing now.

No, your comments were fine.

And yes, I did notice you like strips! LOL. They remind me of old rugby jersey's however (I used to play).
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I'd like to know where you people find jeans that don't bag at the knee when standing but still allow you to sit and walk.

Hah I'm with you there. This is probably a body shape question. I have big thigh muscle and big calf muscle and bony knees. Even stretchy material bags or folds a bit on my knees! I had to give up skinny jeans because I can't fit my calves into them :-(

Yes! All my jeans have some kind of baggy knee situation. Thunder thigh girls unite!

The worst thing about big calves is having to shell out extra money for wide calf winter boots :(
  • Rae6503
    Options

I'd like to know where you people find jeans that don't bag at the knee when standing but still allow you to sit and walk.

Hah I'm with you there. This is probably a body shape question. I have big thigh muscle and big calf muscle and bony knees. Even stretchy material bags or folds a bit on my knees! I had to give up skinny jeans because I can't fit my calves into them :-(

Yes! All my jeans have some kind of baggy knee situation. Thunder thigh girls unite!

The worst thing about big calves is having to shell out extra money for wide calf winter boots :(

I can only fit into boots at my thinnest. But I also have big feet. I bet the calves are wider with bigger sizes.
  • nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    lawlz to this thread. We should all just agree to disagree on fashion.

I'm gonna take a complete 180 and just say I ate like an f'ing cow today and feel like a fat *kitten*.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged!!
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm not reading 18 pages.

I shop in Junior sometimes (and I'm a 6'1" dude).
    A) It's Cheaper
    B) Men's Smalls are too short
    C) Men's Mediums are too wide
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    It's funny... I never shopped in juniors because I was usually too big. So I wouldn't even think of going anywhere near the department even if I COULD fit in the clothes. :) How many sequined leopard tops does one need? :)

However, I only recently discovered Forever 21 and realized that I could get a cute summer dress for $20.00... so, shop where you like! :)

I've actually tried there for dresses this summer. The waists are SUPER high on my (I'm 5'9"). I have this problem with Misses too. I love that some places have started making tops for tall women instead of just pants.

The jr dept at kohl's/Penney's has a lot of long tank tops on sale right now.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Wow. So much sensitivity. Rae looks great and she obviously didn't realise this was going to be such a controversial topic. Shop where you want.

^^^ This... and she did apologize... takes a wonderful person to do that and realize her post might have been offensive!

I like Rae's style, too. It's more classic than I typically dress, because I'm tacky, but classic doesn't mean frumpy.

Today's outfit is from the misses' department of Kohls. Don't mind my hair. It was still wet and a total disaster. The top is about 3-4 years old and kind of a loud 70s couch pattern, but that's what I liked about it. I don't think I look like I'm going to bingo.

IMG_5029.jpg

My problem, though, is that even though the shorts are supposed to be mid-rise and modern fit, I have The Case of the Missing Belly Button.

IMG_5030.jpg

That happens with most misses' pants, shorts and jeans. But I can't wear most juniors' shorts because my thighs are way too meaty. It's no biggie, since I tend to not wear shirts that expose my midriff anyway. I'm not too old for juniors. I'm not too old for Hello Kitty. I'm not to old for micro minis. But I do draw the line at wearing, as they call it on What Not To Wear, a "skin belt."

Ok on other people, though.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Wow. So much sensitivity. Rae looks great and she obviously didn't realise this was going to be such a controversial topic. Shop where you want.

^^^ This... and she did apologize... takes a wonderful person to do that and realize her post might have been offensive!

I like Rae's style, too. It's more classic than I typically dress, because I'm tacky, but classic doesn't mean frumpy.

Today's outfit is from the misses' department of Kohls. Don't mind my hair. It was still wet and a total disaster. The top is about 3-4 years old and kind of a loud 70s couch pattern, but that's what I liked about it. I don't think I look like I'm going to bingo.

IMG_5029.jpg

My problem, though, is that even though the shorts are supposed to be mid-rise and modern fit, I have The Case of the Missing Belly Button.

IMG_5030.jpg

That happens with most misses' pants, shorts and jeans. But I can't wear most juniors' shorts because my thighs are way too meaty. It's no biggie, since I tend to not wear shirts that expose my midriff anyway. I'm not too old for juniors. I'm not too old for Hello Kitty. I'm not to old for micro minis. But I do draw the line at wearing, as they call it on What Not To Wear, a "skin belt."

Ok on other people, though.

Wow Lorina those are really bad. My Kohls shorts fit so much better on that the me. You ARE short torso-ed. Mine are "classic" fit though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    :laugh: As long as the waistband is covered, I don't mind them. They fit better when I bought them two months ago, but I've shrunk a little since then. They might have been called "classic fit." I don't remember. I know they were supposed to hit right below the waist.

Hip huggers fits me as a normal low rise, but I risk plumber's crack. Low rise fits me like mid-rise should. Mid rise hits me right at the waist. High-waisted practically touches the bottom of my bra!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Now I see why the OP was hating.

Mom haircut - Check.

Mom clothes - Check.

Mom jeans - Check. The saggy knee look works on no one.

Bermuda shorts - Check. Seriously, just no.

Yea, I'm gonna stick to the junior's section. Maybe when I'm 40, I'll dress like I'm 40. But while I'm in my 20s....not so much.

Wow. You're a peach. Way to be really nasty to someone who tried to start a funny thread and who apologized like an adult for offending anyone.
    And then after apologizing, continued to rag on women shopping in the junior's section* Fix'd it.

And there was nothing funny about the thread. Like....at all.

I didn't criticize anyone in this thread and nasty things were said about me, so your argument is invalid.

And, for the record, they sell Bermuda shorts in the juniors section.
  • livelovetan
    Options
    i actually fit into hollister jeans great because of their long inseams.. and american eagle jeans too (which are "women" sizes, but a juniors store)
    i also find that juniors tops are more fitting to my curves than a regular tank top.
    i'm also 21 (tomorrow) and have no idea if this thread "applies to me".
    but while shopping at kohls today, i was in the women's department and liked some stuff-but the shirts and pants were too "boxy" where i have curves and it looks terrible on unless i get a tiny size..
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody lets make specific statements that we believe applies to the whole world.

For example: women over 20 no matter what body type or where you live or how appropriate you dress, should not be in the juniors department....

example 2: all gingers have no soul
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

And also: to the people that ***** and whine that Macy's or WHBM or Ann Taylor is too expensive, you're more than likely getting better made clothing at those places. Look for sales. I would prefer to shell out a little extra on a pair of WELL-MADE jeans that will last me years and years. Quality, not quantity.

I usually don't have the money to buy even their sale items, much as I love them. Then again, it's hard to beat the prices of Good Will. If I ever win the lottery, I will give Ann Taylor a lot more of my money.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i cant shop in womens department o.o the clothes make me look FATTER!!!!!! that and they fit funny. but then again everyone thinks i'm UNDER 18(i'm 23) so i guess it works out lol
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Mom haircut - Check.

Mom clothes - Check.

Yea, I'm gonna stick to the junior's section. Maybe when I'm 40, I'll dress like I'm 40. But while I'm in my 20s....not so much.

Wow. You're a peach. Way to be really nasty to someone who tried to start a funny thread and who apologized like an adult for offending anyone.
    And then after apologizing, continued to rag on women shopping in the junior's section* Fix'd it.

I didn't criticize anyone in this thread and nasty things were said about me, so your argument is invalid.

I just googled bermuda shorts and i never knew they were just longer shorts. I thought they were shorts with a Hawaiian shirt pattern LOL.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Women's pants are always huge in the crotch area on me for some reason....
  • Bakerchk
    Options

Mom haircut - Check.

Mom clothes - Check.

I just googled bermuda shorts and i never knew they were just longer shorts. I thought they were shorts with a Hawaiian shirt pattern LOL.

^^^^^ THIS! BAHAHAHA
  • Bakerchk
    Options
    Hey everybody lets make specific statements that we believe applies to the whole world.

For example: women over 20 no matter what body type or where you live or how appropriate you dress, should not be in the juniors department....

example 2: all gingers have no soul

Well the second one is true, obviously.

But yes, that was a very general statement. Woman's and Juniors clothes are different at every store you go. There is no way you can say "anyone over 20 shouldn't wear ANYTHING in the juniors section" My mom is 47, and I've found her some very nice cardigans and what not in the juniors section...
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Juniors section shopper, checking in.