Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks that someone can shop wherever they bloody well want to? :smokin:

Nope. I think that, too.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks that someone can shop wherever they bloody well want to? :smokin:

Nope. I think that, too.

:drinker:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Nope. I think that, too.

I think everyone thinks that. But the problem arises (and that's what started this thread) when some people think that shopping outside the juniors means you've given up on being stylish, even if the cut of juniors no longer fits them.

Stylish clothes can be found in any department. Just like ugly clothes can be found in any department. EVERYONE looks best in clothes that fit their body, no matter what shape that body is. And no one looks good in ill-fitting clothes.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Nope. I think that, too.

I think everyone thinks that. But the problem arises (and that's what started this thread) when some people think that shopping outside the juniors means you've given up on being stylish, even if the cut of juniors no longer fits them.

Stylish clothes can be found in any department. Just like ugly clothes can be found in any department. EVERYONE looks best in clothes that fit their body, no matter what shape that body is. And no one looks good in ill-fitting clothes.

And when some people think that those who are "over the age of 20" and still shop in the Junior department shouldn't. For someone like me Juniors clothes fit better than misses or petites.
  • rml_16
    Options

Nope. I think that, too.

I agree with this, too. But, apparently, I dress frumpy, so what do I know?
  • SurfinBird1981
    Options

Nope. I think that, too.

I just find it hard to believe that what other people wear and where they purchase their clothes from would be so much of a concern.
    Or perhaps some people don't give a sh1t about clothes :laugh:
  • SurfinBird1981
    Options

Nope. I think that, too.

I think you look lovely :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Nope. I think that, too.

I just find it hard to believe that what other people wear and where they purchase their clothes from would be so much of a concern.

What people wear isn't a concern. How much people beat themselves up over not fitting into certain sizes is a concern. I hate seeing people berate themselves.

I used to be someone who berated herself when size 11 juniors were too tight in the *kitten* and too big in the waist, until I ventured across the store and tried on misses' jeans in a size 8 that fit perfectly. Then it was like the clouds parted and the sun shone and birds sang while unicorns danced under rainbows. :laugh:

Now, I try on stuff from every department. Sometimes misses' fits best. Sometimes juniors.
  • SurfinBird1981
    Options

Nope. I think that, too.

What people wear isn't a concern. How much people beat themselves up over not fitting into certain sizes is a concern. I hate seeing people berate themselves.

I used to be someone who berated herself when size 11 juniors were too tight in the *kitten* and too big in the waist, until I ventured across the store and tried on misses' jeans in a size 8 that fit perfectly. Then it was like the clouds parted and the sun shone and birds sang while unicorns danced under rainbows. :laugh:

Now, I try on stuff from every department. Sometimes misses' fits best. Sometimes juniors.

I'm British :laugh: but we have similar sections I think.
    I think I'd struggle in anything other than the tall section...Anyhoo, I think if someone feels happy, sexy and confident it doesn't matter what it says on the tag. Like you said, when one has that magical moment while clothes shopping, it is pretty special :laugh:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Nope. I think that, too.

I think you miss understood, I think people who said that your outfit was frumpy meant that it was to frumpy for them, as in not their style. I personally say if that is what you like to wear, go for it. It isn't my style but that's what makes us human, my style isn't your style and so on, it's cool doesn't mean you aren't a great person or anything, just means we have 2 different styles. I do like your dress, I just personally wouldn't wear it but that's because I can't pull off the long dress look, I have short legs and I try hard to show them off lol.
  • SurfinBird1981
    Options
    116lb loss!!!!!!! Holy sheep! Well done Mrs.
  • rml_16
    Options

Nope. I think that, too.

I think you miss understood, I think people who said that your outfit was frumpy meant that it was to frumpy for them, as in not their style. I personally say if that is what you like to wear, go for it. It isn't my style but that's what makes us human, my style isn't your style and so on, it's cool doesn't mean you aren't a great person or anything, just means we have 2 different styles. I do like your dress, I just personally wouldn't wear it but that's because I can't pull off the long dress look, I have short legs and I try hard to show them off lol.

Go back and read. I did not misunderstand.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I thinking shopping WHERE you want to is one thing, but wearing certain things is another. Wearing items that look like you're 12 years old again is a no-no when you're ... not 12... lol but if you're buying things that fit and look good and age-appropriate, then who cares if it came out of the Jr's Dept?! :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The worthington brand at penney's runs long as well as the allen B brand run long.
    apparently... they don't sell their brand in cords anymore? But they sell glittery gold pants... in the women's. WOW hideous!

In the slack section of Target, they have black slacks "fit 4"?? they also run long. they probably won't last long, but I wear them maybe once a month?

I've bought the Worthington stuff but after a few washes then ended up too short (and too short pants to me is part of the definition of "frumpy").

I'll try Target some day.

I'm 5'9" have a 28" waist, 42" hips, and 28" thighs. This makes pants shopping hard. I need to find a cheap tailorr.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Nope. I think that, too.

Go back and read. I did not misunderstand.

I did and I did not see anyone say that it was really frumpy, they said that for them it was frumpy and they would not wear it, I did not see anyone put you down for it. I stand by what I said, we all have our own taste, you probably don't like my style and that is ok. I don't expect everyone like my style. I just don't think it's anyone's place to tell anyone what they should wear. But I also can see that the OP after clearing up what she meant by the thread, that if people are complaining they should move to the misses department. I'm not entirely sure what people think a 30yr old should dress like, but I refuse to wear things that make me feel less attractive. I wear things that I feel flatter the body I've been working so hard on.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    A few examples of misses clothing from Macy's and JC Penney:

Skirt.jpg

132lbs.jpg

Macysmaxi.jpg

I didn't comment on your outfits before... Not a huge fan of the skirt, but I think it could work with the right shirt and shoes. It's a little long for it's shape. Love the T-shirt (and it's just a T-shirt, how could it be frumpy?). Cute neck line, cute feminine sleeves, boobs look awesome in it. Love, Love, Love the maxi dress. I'm really into maxi dresses for the first time this summer, however I do wish I could find some that fit me a little longer than most do.
  • rml_16
    Options
    A few examples of misses clothing from Macy's and JC Penney:

I didn't comment on your outfits before... Not a huge fan of the skirt, but I think it could work with the right shirt and shoes. It's a little long for it's shape. Love the T-shirt (and it's just a T-shirt, how could it be frumpy?). Cute neck line, cute feminine sleeves, boobs look awesome in it. Love, Love, Love the maxi dress. I'm really into maxi dresses for the first time this summer, however I do wish I could find some that fit me a little longer than most do.

Thanks.

The skirt doesn't translate well in photos, I think. It's an A-line, sort of poodle-skirtish and looks a little better in person. It's one of my favorite pieces.

Anyway, I think the "frumpy is subjective" and the "well, since you asked, yes it's frumpy" (to Mama up there) is saying the clothes are frumpy. The first comment was, "It's just not my style," which is a totally different thing than what was said afterwards. And not once in this thread did I criticize what anyone was wearing or where they shop.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain the juniors and misses thing to me? The thread would probably make more sense to me then. Here there is just girls, boys, womens and mens sections. I fit an age 12 girls, thats what I mostly buy as in the womens section I am the smallest size that they don't sell in a lot of places. Also even when I do my size in womens they usually are a little loose still.
    The bonus of girls clothing is that I don't usually have to get it taken up either.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain the juniors and misses thing to me? The thread would probably make more sense to me then. Here there is just girls, boys, womens and mens sections. I fit an age 12 girls, thats what I mostly buy as in the womens section I am the smallest size that they don't sell in a lot of places. Also even when I do my size in womens they usually are a little loose still.
    The bonus of girls clothing is that I don't usually have to get it taken up either.

It's really the size and style. We have girls clothes, which are little girls. Juniors is, for the most part, the teen age section and the juniors sizes run odd. Misses are more "professional" and the sizes run even. It's kind of stupid actually.
  • rml_16
    Options

Juniors are clothes made for teenagers -- probably about age 12 and up. There is a children's section for people younger than that.

Juniors clothes generally are cut for girls who have not yet developed more "womanly" curves, like wider hips and larger breasts, though I had those at 10 years old and could fit in juniors, so ...

Misses are for women who are not plus-sized, but who have curvier figures, so the stereotypical curvy shape. Does that makes sense? Women's sizes usually are plus-sized clothes.

Juniors come in odd sizes, misses and women's in even.