What birth control are you using?

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Tubal ligation. Minimal recovery and permanent.

But if you haven't had kids, good luck finding a doctor who will do it. :(
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I have been on birth control for about 17 years. I have heard it can make you gain weight. I recently gotten off of the pill and am looking to try something different. I really do not want to do an IUD or implant. Can you tell me what works for you and side effects? (would really like the hubby to do the snip snip... but I don't think its going to happen:blushing: )

How about Natural Family Planning. We have been doing it for over 10 years with great success. It is 99% effective, safe, and 100% immediately reversible. There are no side effects besides a stronger marriage.

Years ago a physician friend told me this joke... What do you call people who use the rhythm method (a.k.a. "natural family planning")...Parents. That said, it's a great way to space your children, otherwise, I'd recommend something more reliable.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Tubal ligation. Minimal recovery and permanent.

But if you haven't had kids, good luck finding a doctor who will do it. :(
    I know a guy who can do it in the back of his van for $50
  • ehbika
    ehbika Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use LadyComp and LOVE it. It is just a little computer that I use to take my temp every morning before getting up and moving around. It simply gives me a red light or green light. It is 99.3% effective and NO hormones/surgery. I believe in taking care of my body in the most positive way possible.. eating right, good nutrition, and not pumping it full or hormones or putting unnatural things in it. Hope this helps!
  • michspor
    michspor Posts: 57
    Options
    My wife uses the "chasitty cage method" of birth control. Personally, I am not a fan, but she sure seems to enjoy it.

this was quite funny! thank you for the laugh :)
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Years ago a physician friend told me this joke... What do you call people who use the rhythm method (a.k.a. "natural family planning")...Parents. That said, it's a great way to space your children, otherwise, I'd recommend something more reliable.

Rhythm method encompasses two forms, and less than successful ones, of natural family planning.

Natural family planning also includes:

1) Post-ovulation methods (i.e. abstaining from intercourse from menstruation until after ovulation) have a method failure rate of 1% per year.
    2) The symptothermo method has a method failure rate of 2% per year.
    3) The cervical mucus-only methods have a method failure rate of 3% per year.
    4) Calendar rhythm has a method failure rate of 9% per year.
    5) The Standard Days Method has a method failure rate of 5% per year.
    6) Fertility Awareness Method (combines 2, & 3) has a 1-2% failure rate
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    A vasectomy.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    After 3 kids in 3 years, husband volunteered to be snipped. The pill didn't seem to work real well, LOL.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm on Depo. I get wicked bad periods that last forever otherwise. I hate Aunt Flo and don't want her visiting.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Nuvaring is the best. If you need more info, private message me.
  • lizaboots
    Options
    We've been using the natural method since July 2011. I'm a fertile myrtle and it's worked great for us. BUT: you can only use this method if you are very in tune with your body and know/can feel/watch for the symptoms of when you're ovulating every month. My cycle is like clockwork and I get the same dull pain every month, plus the temporary weight gain and other symptoms when I'm ovulating. We are careful from the end of my period until the 4th day after I've felt the ovulation pains and then it's a free for all up until my next period starts. We're going to start trying for another baby in a few more months and it's so awesome to know your own body so well and be able to pinpoint to the day of your ovulation.

Before this, I used the Paragard IUD for 3 years (this was after being on numerous hormonal BC methods for almost 10 years). I loved the Paragard because there were no hormones involved (I don't like the risk factors of those in my body or the side effects or potential serious complications, and I don't like a pill not letting my body do it's ovulation thing and telling my body when to have a period) and I didn't have to think about taking a pill every day or inserting a new ring every so many weeks. I did have to deal with my period lasting about a day longer than normal (6 days) and the first 3 months were rough with bad cramps and heavy bleeding but Advil made it much better and these side effects subsided after a few months.

Good luck to you!
  • lizaboots
    Options
    Fertility Awareness Method (NOT rhythm method). Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

OMG I was waiting for someone to say this! It is called understanding your body! Women can only get pregnant for a small window in their cycle, when they ovulate. And if you have minimal days of what they call "Fertile" cervical fluid, the window can be very small. Have as much sex as you want when you are NOT ovulating and either abstain for the 5-6 days while you ARE ovulating or use a rubber! As far as I am concerned ALL other forms of birth control probably have some type of side effect, whether we know it or not. I just got off Nuvo Ring and I have not ovulated for over 70 days now! I am giving it another couple of weeks then I am going to go see the doctor. I would not have know what was going on had I not been tracking my temperatures per the above method. I just read the above book and I am 150% a total advocate that ALL women should read it.

^^^THIS :)
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I use NuvaRing, as I'm allergic to oral contraception.

Honestly, any birth control you could possibly use will make you gain weight, simply because it's making your body think your pregnant. And as for making your husband go under, you should probably look up those side effects too. A lot of men end up with life long problems afterwards.

If you're truly worried about it, consult your physician about it. But if you don't want an IUD or anything like that, then I suggest NuvaRing.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I have been on birth control for about 17 years. I have heard it can make you gain weight. I recently gotten off of the pill and am looking to try something different. I really do not want to do an IUD or implant. Can you tell me what works for you and side effects? (would really like the hubby to do the snip snip... but I don't think its going to happen:blushing: )

How about Natural Family Planning. We have been doing it for over 10 years with great success. It is 99% effective, safe, and 100% immediately reversible. There are no side effects besides a stronger marriage.

Perhaps you should give your friend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility, already mentioned in this thread. It is a highly reliable method for those who have a regular cycle. And it is not the same as the rhythm method.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    prayer

I use that as my back up method when the Todd Akin "legitimate rape" method doesn't work.

i love you more everyday

So if you are raped by someone born out of wedlock, is that illegitimate rape?

Sorry, i dont keep up with US politics, what is the distinction?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    i use generic ortho tri cyclen

I've been on this since early high school for bad cramps. It's hard to know if I gained any weight since I was growing then, but if I did it was 5 lbs max. No complaints.
  • lizaboots
    Options
    All the replies on here from men who said "marriage" made me sad :( marriage should be full of lots of great sex! I've been married for 8 years, together for 12 and we have it at least 15x a month. Come on people, don't withhold sex from your spouses!

Happy humping to you all :)
  • lizaboots
    Options
    I cum in her mouth.

LMAO! I just almost spit all my water all over the computer :laugh:
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yaz gave me migraines BUT i lost weight on it, had a clear face and only 3 days of rag.
    Loloestrin was pretty great; got my periods back to they regularly were, 7 days, FML, (got on BC in the first place because my period went apesh!t and lasted a full unrelenting 5 months) THEN my doc took me off of that since my blood pressure started getting elevated, THEN got put on a 'minipill' called Errin, which sucked balls and did absolutely nothing for me. If I ever get my hypertension under control, I'd need to shop around as well. :/
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options

prayer

I use that as my back up method when the Todd Akin "legitimate rape" method doesn't work.

So if you are raped by someone born out of wedlock, is that illegitimate rape?

Sorry, i dont keep up with US politics, what is the distinction?

OMG, you people are too funny! XD