What birth control are you using?

Options

Replies

• dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mirena user. LOVE IT.

I was on BCP before this and that's how I got pregnant with my daughter.... it was either the IUD or get the great snip.
  • Lima_India_Zulu
    Options
    I know you don't want an implant, but I have Implanon and I loveee it! It works GREAT, and haven't had any side effects.

This! I'm a huge fan of mine!!

Me too! Although my periods have been a bit random recently, and on heavy side, but I think that might be because I need it replacing soon. And I definitely will have it replaced. What I also like about it is that as soon as it is removed you can get pregnant, no waiting around for things to settle. So when we decide we want kids, just get it taken out, and get going!
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I have been on birth control for about 17 years. I have heard it can make you gain weight. I recently gotten off of the pill and am looking to try something different. I really do not want to do an IUD or implant. Can you tell me what works for you and side effects? (would really like the hubby to do the snip snip... but I don't think its going to happen:blushing: )

I do NOT recommend the implant. I have done it...I did not have menstual for 11 years..now I have to take pills to stable my pituitary tumor from growing.

They advertise a new birth control that has no hormones, but I forget the name..

The Merina I think is what the new one is called and they don't use copper any more as there were a lot of problems with it. The new one also does not have any hormones which is why I went to it. I got Cancer from the pill. I told my doc when I was 21 that she either find me something that did not cause cancer or get me into the OR and fix my stuff.

Not sure what country you are in, but the copper IUD and the Mirena are both FDA approved forms of birth control in the United States. The copper has no hormones and the Mirena has hormones.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm on TriNessa which is a generic of Otrho-Tri-Cyclen. I took Ortho-Tri-Cyclen for 8 years now, no problems. I just started this generic though because it is what Tricare will cover. I don't feel like I'm gaining any weight and didn't feel that on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen for sure!
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Talk him into it. My husband getting a vasectomy was the BEST THING EVER. If I could make those letters a lot bigger, I would. Did I mention it was the best thing ever?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    NuvaRing. Put it in for 3 weeks, leave it out for a week for your period or skip your period and start a new one, after your period, put a new one in for another 3 weeks. Works like a charm. No remembering to take the pill, no forgetting. All you need is a reminder on your phone after 3 weeks to take it out, and another a week later to put another in. Works for me! I've been on it for 2 1/2 years and I love it. I've never had a problem. The first couple months I was very moody, but I've heard that's common when getting used to new hormones in your body. After that, I've had no problem. Usually I take out the ring on Friday, and by Monday I have my period, by Thursday I'm almost done, and Friday I'm putting a new ring in. My cramps aren't as bad (and they were BAD), and I don't bleed as much either. I typically use maybe 3 regular tampons per day. Before birth control, I was changing at least every hour.
  • momamia3
    momamia3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM THE COPPER T... IUD.... I HAD 2 CHILDREN THEN HAD THE IUD PUT IN. IT WAS IN FOR 2 YRS THEN I ENDED UP PREGNANT... I WAS SHOCKED, AND THEY THOUGHT IT WAS ALL GOING TO WORK OUT. BUT I ENDED UP HAVING AN ECTOPIC PREGNACY. AND HAD TO HAVE A DRUG BUY INJECTION TO BREAK IT DOWN. (METHOTREXATE), I NEEDED 2 DOSES. ND AFTER 3 MONTHS OF DOING BLOOD WORK AND WAITING UNTIL MY HCG LEVELS DROP. I AND ALMOST BACK TO NORMAL..... NEVER AGAIN. I MIGHT JUST HAVE TO USE THE PILL AGAIN. ....
  • marthathebear
    Options
    I'm 54 so at 50 total hysterectomy! Best thing that ever happened to me! I know this is not helpful to you. Sorry.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I actually LOST weight on Loestrin FE... I love it. Great little pill and no period to boot. No side effects. No PMS. It really works for me!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    None. I've been crossing my fingers for 18 years.

I find crossing my legs works better.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm on the minipill. No side effects, and I'm losing weight nicely, so that's never been an issue with me. Good luck!
  • skinny_cigarettes
    Options
    i'm on implanon and i love the thing, as creepy as it is to have a plastic bar in your arm it's worked amazingly for me :) i've had it for almost 2 years now
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ever contemplated a ladycomp? computer that tracks your cycle based on temperatures and such. It's similar to NFP with the book, but good for lazy people who don't remember to write things down.
    No side effects which believe me, are not worth it regardless of copper, IUD, implant OR even hysterectomy that messes up big time with your hormones and aging!
    Heather
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Im on Depo Provera . been on it for 6 years with no ill effects at all!

Be CAREFUL with that...don't stay on it to long...studies have linked it to female sterilization.
  • ehbika
    ehbika Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ever contemplated a ladycomp? computer that tracks your cycle based on temperatures and such. It's similar to NFP with the book, but good for lazy people who don't remember to write things down.
    No side effects which believe me, are not worth it regardless of copper, IUD, implant OR even hysterectomy that messes up big time with your hormones and aging!
    Heather

YES. Thank you! I had posted earlier about this. I have one and love it. Super easy, effective, natural.. wonderful!
  • alisonlk
    alisonlk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Generic Yaz (Gianvi). As of my last refill, Bayer (who makes Yaz) also manufactures Gianvi, so it's essentially the same thing.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    An ugly girlfriend works for me ;-)

Side effects are callouses on my right hand

BAHAHAHA! Okay, seriously though, I have an IUD, the Mirena and I love it. Gained weight but it wasn't the IUD's fault. It was mine. I'm losing weight like I should now that I've changed my habits.
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    marriage

LOL, that seems to work for us......that and three toddlers
  • hannahchipmunk
    Options
    Sprintec.
    I want to die.

My boobs hurt. It makes me CRAZY, nauseous, and gives me migraines that make me even more nauseous.

I'm stopping it after I see my doctor again. Seriously, I'd rather be knocked up.

I know that feel. I also completely broke out, which is the exact opposite of what is supposed to happen!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Mirena, too. It's been about 18 months now, and I'm very happy with it. I rarely have periods at all anymore (1 day/quarter, and even then it's more like break-through bleeding). I'm 42 and pretty sure that I'm not going to have any more kids, and hubby also refuses to get snipped.

I had been on Yasmin, which actually isn't supposed to make you gain weight due to its diuretic effect, but the rest of its reported side effects are very scary.

Most of my weight loss has been in the last 3 months, so I don't think the Mirena is hurting that at all.