What birth control are you using?

Options

Replies

• amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Im on Depo Provera . been on it for 6 years with no ill effects at all!

I just started the depo shot in February and I gained close to 15 pounds in a little over a month! It was AWFUL. I never really had stretch marks until then. Womp. I have not gained with subsequent shots and no other side effects. However, my doctor said it's not a long term thing, I shouldn't be on it more than two years because it can cause liver (I'm pretty sure it's liver anyway) damage. So I'll continue it through most of next year and then decide what's next. I can't take the pill anymore because I get migraine's and apparently that increases the possibility of a stoke. Maybe nuva ring after I stop using the depo shot.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Pulling out - it has no side effects.
    pregnancy.

I can't imagine *not* knowing my cycle down to the minute. I travel a lot for work and I prefer to have control over my cycle. Pull and pray would not work well for me for this (and many) reasons alone.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    marriage
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Nuva-ring. look into it.

and since I aint gunna be no baby-daddy...... VCF on top of that. lol.

Nuvaring is the best invention ever. I've been on it since it first came out 10 years ago.

Nuvaring made me fat and bat-*kitten* crazy, which I guess is really good birth control in itself because nobody wants to bone a fat, crazy chick.

It's different for everyone but worth a try. I think 10 years of success is a great track record for me. The pill made me have raised levels of prolactin in my blood (not fun if you are not a nursing mother).
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Abstinence.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Before I went off last September, I was on OrthoNovum 1/35 for a few years for medical reasons. No side effects. My doctor just put me back on BCP (OrthoNovum 7/7/7) as a back-up to condoms. I have noticed I have to work super hard to curb the snacking monster, but that's been it so far. Since it takes about 3 months for your body to get used to the hormones, I'll let you know what other side effects crop up. :smile:
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Partial hysterectomy. It means complete freedom. Side effects... well I since I had a partial, none!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    marriage

Life's too short to have marriage without great sex.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Nuva-ring. look into it.

and since I aint gunna be no baby-daddy...... VCF on top of that. lol.

Nuvaring is the best invention ever. I've been on it since it first came out 10 years ago.

Nuvaring made me fat and bat-*kitten* crazy, which I guess is really good birth control in itself because nobody wants to bone a fat, crazy chick.

:laugh: That is how depo and the Mirena was for me. Ravenous overweight psycho b!tch. Very effective. :laugh:
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm on Tri-Cyclen Lo and I haven't noticed any weight gain since I started it in January.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want an implant, but I have Implanon and I loveee it! It works GREAT, and haven't had any side effects.

I have this too and I hate it. I have had a non stop period (generally once a week, for a couple days, then will go regular for a little while then back to non stop) especially if I go more then a few days low carb and it often starts up after sex. I hate it! Its effects everyone different so suprise you could be lucky or like me (there are others, im not alone) I went to the Dr. because TOM was so bad and for Sooooooo long, she said oh yea thats normal...BS! and one of the side effects that wasnt mentioned, irregular I get, but this is rediculous! she gave me estrogen pills to control the periods which I hate taking I have to be desperate for it to stop. 14 more months and this will come out for good! then no more BC ever! Supposedly they're coming out with a BC for men to take. I like that option :bigsmile:
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Nuvaring, and I absolutely love it.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Fertility Awareness Method (NOT rhythm method). Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

p.s. I can also calculate when my period is going to start within a 12 hour window... every month... whether it's a 26 day cycle or a 32 day cycle (and everything in between). FAM Rocks!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Im on Depo Provera . been on it for 6 years with no ill effects at all!

I just started the depo shot in February and I gained close to 15 pounds in a little over a month! It was AWFUL. I never really had stretch marks until then. Womp. I have not gained with subsequent shots and no other side effects. However, my doctor said it's not a long term thing, I shouldn't be on it more than two years because it can cause liver (I'm pretty sure it's liver anyway) damage. So I'll continue it through most of next year and then decide what's next. I can't take the pill anymore because I get migraine's and apparently that increases the possibility of a stoke. Maybe nuva ring after I stop using the depo shot.

i had those side effects on 3 seperate bc pills! i was fat, crazy, and always nauseated. i have yet to have problems with depo, but ive heard some womens horror stories on it :(
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If you are done having kids get your tubes tied, I did after last baby, and it was the best thing for me. I knew for sure that there would be no more babies out of this body. I have 3 son's. :smile:
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Nuvaring, and I absolutely love it.

Hooray! Me too. :) 10 years strong. I figured out how to get it for less $$ (the co-pays at the regular pharmacy were killer). I transitioned to an online prescription and they ship me 3 months at a time in a little cooler. Saves a ton of $$ each year and I store a few months at a time in the fridge before use.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pulling out - it has no side effects.

Except pregnancy.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've tried the pill, the shots and the Mirena and all made me a psycho person. So now I use the pull and pray and condoms occasionally. I track my cycle too and am pretty regular so I just have to put the brakes on around certain days.

We are wanting another baby so it wouldn't be the end of the world if those methods didn't work.

After baby #2, I will probably explore non-hormonal methods because anything with hormone, even if it is "low dose" does not react well with me.

Good luck! From what I have found with my own experience and talking to friends it is a hunt until each person finds the perfect thing for them. :flowerforyou:
  • CarrieMyPhilos
    CarrieMyPhilos Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    marriage

Life's too short to have marriage without great sex.

YES. ;)

I'm on tri-sprintec, and love it. Haven't had any issues with it after the initial nausea went away.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    An ugly girlfriend works for me ;-)

Side effects are callouses on my right hand

^^ HAHA yes!

We use good ol' rubbers because I cannot take the pill because of medical reasons. I did however take the pill before I knew I had a blood condition and it made me gain 10lbs of water-weight and I was borderline suicidal on them.

My daughter also has a blood condition and will not use birth control

I had blood clots in my lungs and can't use hormonal BC either but I have the paraguard which is the copper IUD and I like it so far. I had some bad cramping at first but I don't have to worry about it for 10 years and it's nice.