What birth control are you using?

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've tried the pill, the shots and the Mirena and all made me a psycho person. So now I use the pull and pray and condoms occasionally. I track my cycle too and am pretty regular so I just have to put the brakes on around certain days.

We are wanting another baby so it wouldn't be the end of the world if those methods didn't work.

After baby #2, I will probably explore non-hormonal methods because anything with hormone, even if it is "low dose" does not react well with me.

Good luck! From what I have found with my own experience and talking to friends it is a hunt until each person finds the perfect thing for them. :flowerforyou:

True, everyone has to find what works for them. We do not plan on having our own kids (I can't for medical reasons, and we decided 17-18 years ago not to have our own) so this was something that could not be left to chance.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm on Yaz. If anything, I lost weight. It cleared up my acne too. Side effects can be significant though, so check with your GYN. I used to be on the generic version called Ocella. It was awful. Sticking with the premium stuff now.
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Pulling out - it has no side effects.

This works for me!!!:laugh:
  • ahappydancer
    ahappydancer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's funny how the guys are offering non-birth control methods like marriage, abstinence, and pulling out.
    I'm on the pill, and I didn't gain any weight from it, but I know that it's a side effect for many women who take it. I love to be able to control my periods.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm on aviane. It is a generic, not sure of which brand name though. I haven't had any side effects and I've been on it for several years. I love it. I don't get pimples as easily, my "time of the month" has minimal cramping and no heavy flow like I used to get. I want kids really bad but don't want to get off the pill to have them. :sad:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

It totally worked for me too until I got pregnant. Oh, and I was on Yaz at that time too. Double whammy!!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options

It totally worked for me too until I got pregnant. Oh, and I was on Yaz at that time too. Double whammy!!

That's why we use rubbers with spermicide. Kills the little effers if they escape.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I have been on birth control for about 17 years. I have heard it can make you gain weight. I recently gotten off of the pill and am looking to try something different. I really do not want to do an IUD or implant. Can you tell me what works for you and side effects? (would really like the hubby to do the snip snip... but I don't think its going to happen:blushing: )

I had the Essure procedure of tubal, which is done vaginally, so there's no incision & no real recovery time. http://essure.com/?gclid=CKmO0YG8_rECFYao4AodpSwAJQ Best wishes with it. I stopped using the pill YEARS ago & relied on condoms prior to having Essure done 5 or 6 years ago (I think it was 6, but I'm not positive.)
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I have been on birth control for about 17 years. I have heard it can make you gain weight. I recently gotten off of the pill and am looking to try something different. I really do not want to do an IUD or implant. Can you tell me what works for you and side effects? (would really like the hubby to do the snip snip... but I don't think its going to happen:blushing: )

Other peoples bad kids do the trick...
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options

OMG don't scare me like that!
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Like others have said what works for you will vary.

I got the implant fitted just over a year ago and I love it, I don't have to think about it and I have had three 2 day super light periods since it started.

I used to use nuva ring which at first seemed convenient but eventually I realised it was making sex painful so I had to stop using it, but I imagine that's a fairly rare thing
  • all4my3boyz
    all4my3boyz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    marriage

:cry:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Menopause :laugh: Used the Pill for years, it worked great for me.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    I have the depo injection, it did make me gain weight but it was more to do with the hunger, you just have to have self control! you have no periods, pms is literally non existent, it's a godsend! you have to have the injection every 3 months in your bum but other than that it's the best one i've been on for years!
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Not having sex. Works perfectly!

Although it does make me stressed and angry.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Tubal ligation!!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Vasectomy! Wahooooo! :happy:
  • sassi5
    sassi5 Posts: 49
    Options
    http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-effectiveness-chart-22710.htm

Planned parenthood is a great resource- side effects and effectiveness. :)
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want an IUD, but I'm going to recommend something that is different than most IUDs.

I use Paraguard and what I love about it is that it's 100% hormone free (unlike Mirena). Due to past experiences I am a firm promoter of avoiding the addition of hormones to the body if at all possible, because they can really mess with you, physically & emotionally. I'm not one of those "natural family planning" freaks, just know that adding hormones to the body can really screw with you.

Take a look at their website, I've had it in for about 3 years and it's good for 10. The only negative is I have pretty heavy periods, but I will take that any day over being psycho crazy girl on hormones...

Good luck!

My periods have gotten lighter since I was put on the paraguard though they couldn't have gotten much heavier I guess. I just had some bad cramping for the first few months when I had my period but it has subsided since and I feel like a normal person. It's definitely a great IUD and there are no hormones woo hoo :)
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    It's been said before on here but I use the Implanon. My insurance covered it 100% the second time around (thankfully!). Insertion really isn't that bad (my tattoos were much worse). I forget I have it and I haven't had a cycle since January of 2008. Hello, TMI! As with all forms of birth control, everyone reacts to it differently. Seeing as how I've never been with child it was the best alternative for me and I love it!