embarrassment after losing weight?

Options
12346»

Replies

• paprs
    paprs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes. Recently a friend asked me if I was done losing weight, and when I told her I still had 40 more lbs to lose (my BMI still puts me at 'obese'), she seemed concerned and told me I didn't need to keep losing.

Just know that you're doing what's right for you. My response to my friend was, "I'm still not at a healthy weight, and my goal is to be in the best shape of my life." You'll find that a lot of people discourage you from your efforts because they feel guilty about their own lifestyles or wish they were on the same path as you.

Keep it up, you're doing great!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting link: http://www.succeedfoundation.org/work/fat_talk_free_week

They say that 'Seemingly innocent comments like, "You look so good! Have you lost weight?" Or, "You look really thin in that outfit! I love it!" often fuel unhealthy body image and feed the notion that people only look good if they lose weight.'
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I first started to lose the weight I was discouraged that no one noticed. Then when they started noticing I felt proud. It wasn't till recently that is started becoming kind of embarrising. I think the fact that I let myself get so big and now I'm having to undo all the damage I've done to my body is a little humiliating. I totally get what you are going thru.
  • sandyyy712
    Options
    yeah i had it bad. everyone i saw was making backhanded comments about it. it made me so uncomfortable that i ended up gaining quite a bit of the weight back... just dont let them get to you
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow I actually read through all of your comments. Thing is...I am not a "success story" yet as far as weight loss goes but it really helps to read about all of your experiences and begin to prepare myself mentally for the comments....good, bad and UGLY. I did lose about 30lbs about 6 years ago and i got all sorts of comments like "you look sick" or "not everybody looks good thin (mind you i was NOTTTT THIN!), "you don't look good, you look better with a little flesh"...or the best/worst one...."you betta stop or people will start thinking you have IT (aka HIV/AIDS :noway: )...and subconsciously i let all of that get to me and here I am, struggling to lose after regaining those 30 lbs and about 10 more!!!

I'm finding it much harder to lose the weight now...but being patient with it and trying to get my mind in the right place to not let people and some of the insensitive things they say cause me to sabotage my health yet another time...thanks to all of you for sharing!!!
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's going from being invisible at least nobody is checking you out in your mind, to being looked at and everybody has something to say. I try to talk about how great I feel, and not about how I look. I think getting comfortable and real about why this happened can be like therapy. We all gained for a reason. Now we people say I look great, I say thank you so much for noticing, I feel really great, and I say it with a huge smile.
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have had quite different experiences to most posters here. I am probably one of those people who irritate you! I love talking to other people about their weight loss, I am genuinely impressed and interested. When people comment about my weight loss although I am a bit embarrassed and tell them I still have more to lose, I always hear there comments as a compliment. When the occasional person suggests that I do not need to lose anymore, I just thank them, I assumed they just are not used to seeing me as slim. When I get to goal weight I am looking forward to the compliments and talking in detail until I bore the pants of people. after all I have worked bloomin hard.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I understand being embarrassed, getting used to the changes you've made for your body is a process. Today I was at the grocery store and got checked out by 2 different guys and was mortified. It's definitely not a bad thing, just new and hopefully something I can get used to. You should be proud of what you've done for yourself and do not listen to the people who aren't!

Hahaha the first time I put on my pair of 8s, I walked into a Subway and every guy's head turned. Believe me, this doesn't happen to me!! If it wouldn't have been weird, I would have jumped and shouted happy obscenities right then and there. Enjoy your new confidence!! It's an amazing feeling.
  • smithntuck
    smithntuck Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Most people who are my age or younger want to know what I'm doing to lose the weight that I have, and I was embarrassed at first, I guess because I was going to a bariatric clinic and had to have "help" losing the weight. Now I just tell them...tell them how much it costs, how long I have been going, any info they want. The only thing that bothers me is when older people make comments like "you're going to make yourself sick" or "You need to stop losing, you've lost enough already". I've gotten to the point where I tell them how much I weigh, and how much the Dr. said I should weigh...Dr. being the main point. It seems as long as I have a Dr's approval for my weight loss, it's ok? lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!