**Fit and Fun-sized**(5'4 and under) WEEK 1

Options

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'd like to join too - and, wks - great idea for this thread! I'm 5'4 1/2 (so maybe on the tall side of everyone here!) :) SW was 170, CW is 148.

Anyone else here unsure about what a realistic GW is? I've looked at the range using the BMI guidelines... and the range is quite wide. I actually feel pretty good at my current size - I was in a size 14 and now can comfortably wear 8... However, the smaller I get, the bigger I feel. It's so bizarre....

Now that I've reached the milestone of a "healthy" BMI (even if it is the highest point) I realize I could stand to lose a lot more weight... I see really small people and before never thought it was possible. Now, it's within reach - but I don't know if I"m "meant" to be that small - or if hovering at the high end of "healthy" is where I should be. Anyone else confused?

How odd is it to see that question here -where most people are striving to be as small as possible? I'm just trying not to make the mistake of being unhappy with myself... I've accomplished a lot and exercise regularly. (Running e/o day, walking on days off, doing strength / circuit training, eating decently). Ay ay ay...
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Hi Fun-Sized Gals!

I actually have a tee-shirt that states... "I'm not short, I'm fun-sized" :laugh:

I'm Yvonne... shhh, don't tell anyone my name :wink:

SW: 175
    CW: 148
    GW: 145 (will see from here, don't want to lose the booty :laugh: )

My gym is offering Zumba on Wednesday night and Friday morning... :bigsmile:

Thanks for Lookin out for the Fun-sized group! :flowerforyou:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'd like to join too - and, wks - great idea for this thread! I'm 5'4 1/2 (so maybe on the tall side of everyone here!) :) SW was 170, CW is 148.

Anyone else here unsure about what a realistic GW is? I've looked at the range using the BMI guidelines... and the range is quite wide. I actually feel pretty good at my current size - I was in a size 14 and now can comfortably wear 8... However, the smaller I get, the bigger I feel. It's so bizarre....

Now that I've reached the milestone of a "healthy" BMI (even if it is the highest point) I realize I could stand to lose a lot more weight... I see really small people and before never thought it was possible. Now, it's within reach - but I don't know if I"m "meant" to be that small - or if hovering at the high end of "healthy" is where I should be. Anyone else confused?

How odd is it to see that question here -where most people are striving to be as small as possible? I'm just trying not to make the mistake of being unhappy with myself... I've accomplished a lot and exercise regularly. (Running e/o day, walking on days off, doing strength / circuit training, eating decently). Ay ay ay...

I'm exactly where you are. Literally. I reached 148 too.:bigsmile: I also feel and look great in a size 8, but also keep thinking how will I look at size 6? I truly feel that if I dedicated most of my workouts to strength training, I would tone up nicely and probably fit into a 6 without losing many lbs. You are not alone.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I think you should stop wherever you feel comfortable. BMI isn't the determining factor for what's considered healthy--I'm overweight according to my BMI, but I know I'm not actually overweight in terms of body fat. When you're happy with your body, stay that way. :smile:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hello all of you fellow fun-sized people!!!

I love that term; my youngest daughter (who is not quite 5'1") told me about it, and it fits me also, at 5'2". We come by the shortness easily, my grandmother was 4'10 3/4" tall, but she counted the beehive hairdo so she could say she was actually 5 feet tall:laugh: !! Oh, how I miss her; she's been gone since 1992, but I think about her almost every day.

Stuck at 129 again, which is OK with me for right now. My husband unexpectedly got orders to deploy to Afghanistan mid-October, and we had 2 1/2 weeks to get him ready to go, so of course eating sensibly and working out got shoved to the wayside. I've lost the 4 pounds I gained in those weeks, and am once again headed for my goal, which is 120 pounds and/or losing the "muffin top" before he gets home in early May.

SW-134 pounds (March 2009)
    CW-129 pounds
    GW-120 pounds and NO MUFFIN TOP
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options

I'm exactly where you are. Literally. I reached 148 too.:bigsmile: I also feel and look great in a size 8, but also keep thinking how will I look at size 6? I truly feel that if I dedicated most of my workouts to strength training, I would tone up nicely and probably fit into a 6 without losing many lbs. You are not alone.

Hi Yvonne :) Funny - I read your first post and thought - "we could be twins!" I posted my sw wrong - darn 0 and 9 are right next to each other. SW was 179, not 170. So.... I have a good sense of what you look like! I bet you DO look good! :bigsmile:
    Yeah, it's that feeling of not necessarily NEEDING or WANTING to be smaller, but actually a greater curiosity of what I would look like in a 6.... or a 4.... because I never even imagined it before. I've also found at this point that I'm not super dedicated to "losing weight" per se - but more interested in toning up, tightening the flab and being as healthy as i can be.

Gabrielle - thanks for the info.. you seem well informed - thanks for sharing / educating. I've never been remotely interested in health or fitness before the past few months - have a lot left to learn. :) I dont have any way to have my body fat percentage tested... but i DO know I'm healthier than I was a few months ago - there's no disputing that. (Pats self on back!)

And, welcome welcome mkwood! :)
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi Fun-Sized Gals!

I actually have a tee-shirt that states... "I'm not short, I'm fun-sized" :laugh:

I'm Yvonne... shhh, don't tell anyone my name :wink:

SW: 175
    CW: 148
    GW: 145 (will see from here, don't want to lose the booty :laugh: )

My gym is offering Zumba on Wednesday night and Friday morning... :bigsmile:

Thanks for Lookin out for the Fun-sized group! :flowerforyou:

OMG I so have the "I'm not short, I'm fun sized" shirt too!!!!!!! hahaha
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Found you! I missed the start of the new thread.

CW 116
    GW 110? - I'll know I'm there when the muffin top is gone

Been at this most consistently since early July and have lost about 8lbs. I work out 4-5 days/week and mix up spinning classes, strength classes, treadmill and now outdoor running. The last 3 weeks I really got off track, so this week I'm trying to get back into a regular exercise pattern and get my calories back under control.

I'm curious to know what others' measurements are, for those who don't mind sharing?

Currently I am:
    Bust 33
    Waist 30 (measured right across my belly button at hateful muffin top widest)
    Hips 35
  • classygrl
    Options
    Hi I would love to join this group. I'm 5 ft. and 1 inch. I think it's harder for shorter people to hide their weight. I have a muffin top that I've been trying to get rid of. I feel embarassed when I wear jeans and that part sticks out...I feel gross sometimes.
    CW- 135
    GW-115
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Hi there, is it okay for me to join in too?

My stats:
    5'3"
    SW: 193
    CW: 176
    GW: 130

I'd like to get down to a fat percentage of 20% too. That'd be nice. :tongue:

I could always use another group to check in with. :smile:
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    Yeah working out on days u dont eat alot of carbs is tough! I hear u on the headaches. I am going to try it this week and see how it goes. Definitly will help with thanksgiving day! I work out alot so it might not be a good thing for me either. Thats typically the most carbs i eat in a day as well is about 150, thats good to know! Good luck with the rest of the week!
    i am alternating carbs this week, like yesterday i did 75 carbs and today im doing regular well still under but higher than yesterday, then tommorow lower, and then obviously on thanksgiving regular. Its my first time rotating, so u think it works well? Is this something u do often?
    Wks that oatmeal sounds sooooo goooood...I am low-carbing this week and besides one small slice of break all my carbs have been from peas today. :cry:

Later on I get more peas. :tongue: Then a South Beach granola bar! :bigsmile: Haha, it's well worth the effort though.

Yea, I did 95g yesterday, 75g today, tomorrow will be about 30g. Thanksgiving I'm eating whatever the h3ll I want after a good pre/post run meal in the morning. Then back to 30g/day for the rest of the week.

I generally don't carb-cycle because I find it a thoroughly unpleasant experience. I stay around 40% carbs, which at my calorie level is about 150g. It's just about enough to keep me out of ketosis but low enough that I keep insulin levels low all day. I'm only doing it this week so the first several hundred calories worth of carbs on Turkey Day goes toward refilling glycogen rather than being shunted toward fat synthesis pathways. But it's not ideal for the length and intensity of my workouts. I am getting rather headachy now and I am SO not looking forward to running for 40 min. :sick:

I did do a ketogenic diet for about 9 months a couple years back. I can't say my progress was any different from what it is now, except I was a little less hungry then but I perform much better now.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Today has been great so far for me :) I've eaten healthy, yogurt, a veggie burger (no bun) and a huge salad :) and I've given up soda as well woo hoo. I didnt get a chance to do much more than some crunches and a 29 min cardio sesh before heading off to the library to work on my crime stats paper (oh joy) but something is better than nothing :). I'm trying to stay low carb too and work at keeping the junk out of my system... I wont be stealing handfuls of splenda packets from starbucks anymore haha. (I am a broke college student) Lucky for me however, I wont have the temptation of thanksgiving dinner because I have to leave home early to head back to school and pick up my bf from the airport on the way... crisis averted... until christmas haha ... how is everyone else doing?
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    you seem to know a lot about the body and how it works, are you in the medical field? I want to try a lower carb diet but never know how much is enough, or what kind of carbs I should cut out. Are carbs from fruits ok? I know to stay away from white bread etc. but what about veggies and such? I just wanna slim downnn! ugh! any suggestions? and as far as bulking up... It happens to me... last Feb my bf bought me these gorgeoussss $200 boots and they fit perfect... after this summer of working out like a crazy person and eating so healthy it was ridiculous... my boots wouldnt zip up... my clothes fit different and there was less fat on my stomach but i was thicker... so now I stick to crunches/planks/pushups and low resistance cardio for longer periods of time... Ive seen significant slimming as i lose the extra muscle.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Yea I generally feel good on 40% carbs and only need to carb up maybe once or twice a month if I really start dragging. My run tonight was slower than normal, about 30 seconds more per mile! I made up for it by running a little bit longer into the rest intervals of the podcast. Good luck to you as well!
    Yeah working out on days u dont eat alot of carbs is tough! I hear u on the headaches. I am going to try it this week and see how it goes. Definitly will help with thanksgiving day! I work out alot so it might not be a good thing for me either. Thats typically the most carbs i eat in a day as well is about 150, thats good to know! Good luck with the rest of the week!
    i am alternating carbs this week, like yesterday i did 75 carbs and today im doing regular well still under but higher than yesterday, then tommorow lower, and then obviously on thanksgiving regular. Its my first time rotating, so u think it works well? Is this something u do often?
    Wks that oatmeal sounds sooooo goooood...I am low-carbing this week and besides one small slice of break all my carbs have been from peas today. :cry:

Later on I get more peas. :tongue: Then a South Beach granola bar! :bigsmile: Haha, it's well worth the effort though.

Yea, I did 95g yesterday, 75g today, tomorrow will be about 30g. Thanksgiving I'm eating whatever the h3ll I want after a good pre/post run meal in the morning. Then back to 30g/day for the rest of the week.

I generally don't carb-cycle because I find it a thoroughly unpleasant experience. I stay around 40% carbs, which at my calorie level is about 150g. It's just about enough to keep me out of ketosis but low enough that I keep insulin levels low all day. I'm only doing it this week so the first several hundred calories worth of carbs on Turkey Day goes toward refilling glycogen rather than being shunted toward fat synthesis pathways. But it's not ideal for the length and intensity of my workouts. I am getting rather headachy now and I am SO not looking forward to running for 40 min. :sick:

I did do a ketogenic diet for about 9 months a couple years back. I can't say my progress was any different from what it is now, except I was a little less hungry then but I perform much better now.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    These past few days have been hard for me to stick to my diet. I don't know about anyone else - but about that "time of the month" I get hungrier and crave bad things... I've been snacking unecessarily on Cheez-Its (my weakness) about every night since this past Friday. I also had some brownie bites last night and the night before. I vowed to myself I won't have either tonight; let's hope I keep that vow!

I was reading some of the posts on goal sizes - mine ideally would be a 4 (I am currently an 8) but I would be happy enough in a size 6. I have to be realistic - I've had three kids and I will never be that little size 0-2 I once was. :wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    you seem to know a lot about the body and how it works, are you in the medical field? I want to try a lower carb diet but never know how much is enough, or what kind of carbs I should cut out. Are carbs from fruits ok? I know to stay away from white bread etc. but what about veggies and such? I just wanna slim downnn! ugh! any suggestions? and as far as bulking up... It happens to me... last Feb my bf bought me these gorgeoussss $200 boots and they fit perfect... after this summer of working out like a crazy person and eating so healthy it was ridiculous... my boots wouldnt zip up... my clothes fit different and there was less fat on my stomach but i was thicker... so now I stick to crunches/planks/pushups and low resistance cardio for longer periods of time... Ive seen significant slimming as i lose the extra muscle.

Gosh...I wouldn't want to lose any of my muscle...it lets me eat 1500 cals a day and lose a lb or more a week! :laugh:

If your question was directed to me, I'm actually in the field of academia. Today I am officially a PhD candidate in the skeletal muscle physiology and biochemistry department. So I do a lot with metabolic functions and obesity in its relation to skeletal muscle.

A low-carb diet is technically 30-40% calories from carbohydrates. Of course avoid anything refined. Fruit sugars have a different impact on your blood sugar depending on the fruit. I get most of my carbohydrates from dairy and vegetables as they have the lowest impact on blood sugar. The idea is to keep insulin levels low all the time as low insulin leads to higher fat-mobilizing hormone levels. But cutting back too much can lead to decreased exercise performance and ketones that are released in very low-carb diets can lead to systemic inflammation so I am wary of staying on this type of diet very long. I'm only doing this extreme carb-cutting as a preventative measure and I'll go back to 40% on Monday.
  • savvystephy
    Options

Gosh...I wouldn't want to lose any of my muscle...it lets me eat 1500 cals a day and lose a lb or more a week! :laugh:

If your question was directed to me, I'm actually in the field of academia. Today I am officially a PhD candidate in the skeletal muscle physiology and biochemistry department. So I do a lot with metabolic functions and obesity in its relation to skeletal muscle.

A low-carb diet is technically 30-40% calories from carbohydrates. Of course avoid anything refined. Fruit sugars have a different impact on your blood sugar depending on the fruit. I get most of my carbohydrates from dairy and vegetables as they have the lowest impact on blood sugar. The idea is to keep insulin levels low all the time as low insulin leads to higher fat-mobilizing hormone levels. But cutting back too much can lead to decreased exercise performance and ketones that are released in very low-carb diets can lead to systemic inflammation so I am wary of staying on this type of diet very long. I'm only doing this extreme carb-cutting as a preventative measure and I'll go back to 40% on Monday.

Good for you for being a PhD candidate! That is fantastic! :drinker:

I hope to be getting into graduate school Fall 2010.. 3 of 7 applications are in. Wrapping up the last four by the end of December. Can't wait to be there. You inspire me to really work on my health and still be a confident graduate student when I start. :bigsmile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I hope to be getting into graduate school Fall 2010.. 3 of 7 applications are in. Wrapping up the last four by the end of December. Can't wait to be there. You inspire me to really work on my health and still be a confident graduate student when I start. :bigsmile:

Awesome!! I have to say I got really lucky...my boss's fiance just finished her post-doc so she had room for a student, and I previously worked with a professor he collaborated with, so...yea, networking! :bigsmile: I'm a little nervous about keeping up with everything once I'm a TA/RA/student, but I made it work with full time classes and 2 jobs in undergrad, so here goes nothing! :tongue:
  • savvystephy
    Options

Awesome!! I have to say I got really lucky...my boss's fiance just finished her post-doc so she had room for a student, and I previously worked with a professor he collaborated with, so...yea, networking! :bigsmile: I'm a little nervous about keeping up with everything once I'm a TA/RA/student, but I made it work with full time classes and 2 jobs in undergrad, so here goes nothing! :tongue:

I believe you can do it! :bigsmile:
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    i dont have my time of the month but im one hormonal chic regardless so i feel ya on the cravings im just trying to fight thru them! Sweets are my weakness! I would like to be a 2 to 4 as well, i had gotten down to a tight 6 last year and i still had quite a bit (15-20) more lbs to lose so somewhere between a 2 to a 4 would be great, im currently a 12-14 depending on the pants. Ive never been a 0, i always had too much booty and thighs for that lol!
    These past few days have been hard for me to stick to my diet. I don't know about anyone else - but about that "time of the month" I get hungrier and crave bad things... I've been snacking unecessarily on Cheez-Its (my weakness) about every night since this past Friday. I also had some brownie bites last night and the night before. I vowed to myself I won't have either tonight; let's hope I keep that vow!

I was reading some of the posts on goal sizes - mine ideally would be a 4 (I am currently an 8) but I would be happy enough in a size 6. I have to be realistic - I've had three kids and I will never be that little size 0-2 I once was. :wink: