What exercise are you doing that burns the most calories?

Options

Replies

• Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hockey, I burn 600 calories, and sometimes I play twice in a day....
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Walking a marathon (Boston) burned 4450 calories (per HRM). :wink:

That's pretty much my highest calorie burn. Rowing machine gives me a pretty high burn when I wear my HRM too.
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I burn 450 calories in 30 minutes on the elipitical
  • snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Treadmill 3.5mph 8% incline.
  • AmbieSweetz
    AmbieSweetz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Elliptical w/3-7 resistance!!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Running! Outside. 25 minutes. I burn on average 400-450 calories.

30 Day Shred - when I push HARD, I burn on average 350-400 calories in 25-30 minutes (I forget how long it takes exactly).

You just have to find the exercise that pushes your body right. :D
  • jenniferrow
    Options
    Elliptical or Running.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps
  • libragirl923
    Options
    I can't run, and I struggle doing 30 minutes.. I am working on increasing my endurance, I can't imagine doing an hour. Mad respect for those of you that can.
  • Ariana_75
    Options
    Jacob's ladder & HIIT sprints
  • Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There is a set of stairs near my house that is 100 in all..I run those. Awesome burn for a short amount of time.
  • VinoFonseca
    VinoFonseca Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It partly depends on your current weight. Heavier people burn more calories than lighter people, because they are working harder to do the same activity. I'm fairly thin so I would have to work out for a looooong time to burn 500 calories! It's frustrating, though, to see lots of people posting their crazy calorie burns and I'm excited if I've managed to burn 200 in one workout. :cry:

Consider, many of the calorie quotes are inaccurate and on the high side. This app makes suggestions as to burns per exercise but the only way to know for sure is if you are using a HRM and using it properly. Even then I have my doubts. I had a body bugg and it reported some wonderfully high burns one day and then zip the next. Urgh. Got rid of it. Now I just guesstimate.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    jogging. My calorie burn records low because my beginning HR is 54 or lower. I get the best bang(time) for my buck.
    30 minutes 250 calories for Jogging.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Consider, many of the calorie quotes are inaccurate and on the high side. This app makes suggestions as to burns per exercise but the only way to know for sure is if you are using a HRM and using it properly. Even then I have my doubts. I had a body bugg and it reported some wonderfully high burns one day and then zip the next. Urgh. Got rid of it. Now I just guesstimate.

Very correct on both accounts.

Walking at level is most accurate estimate of calories burned using a calculator, even better than HRM.

Adding incline is still more accurate, though it starts to lose it.

But I think anyone walking 4mph at 24% incline would be a killer calorie burn.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Gross 1504 calories an hour if I could actually maintain 24% incline for 60 min. Which I doubt.

Though NET is only 1421, still pretty good.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    30 minute HIIT treadmill intervals (9-10mph 30 second sprint, 1-2 minute 3.5mph walk, 4.5mph max incline jog 45-60 seconds, then walk again, repeat) and 40-50 minutes of heavy, little rest weight lifting. On my good days, I burn into the 600's. ;) And yes, do get a HRM! :wink:
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    30 minute HIIT treadmill intervals (9-10mph 30 second sprint, 1-2 minute 3.5mph walk, 4.5mph max incline jog 45-60 seconds, then walk again, repeat) and 40-50 minutes of heavy, little rest weight lifting. On my good days, I burn into the 600's. ;) And yes, do get a HRM! :wink:

And no holding on to the treadmill at an incline. LOL!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    ELLIPTICAL!!! I can burn 800 calories an hour on that baby when I really get it going.
  • ReginaMarie7
    ReginaMarie7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A lot of it also depends on your weight and the amount of effort you are putting into your exercise of choice. Bigger people, like myself, burn more calories even if we are doing the exact same thing a smaller person is. Basically it just takes more effort to get our big butts moving...until we get smaller of course then it will be harder to burn such a high amount of calories. My high burning exercise of choice is either the elliptical or jogging.
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps, 800 + cals burned per hour.