Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    transitioned to vegan today- trying my best :) add me if u are vegan or vegetarians!
    [/quote

You can certainly add me as a friend, but I don't do much private conversation, mostly I just post. However, my wife, VergingonVegan, is a bountiful source of recipes and advice. Tell her I suggested you friend her.
  • playnice77
    playnice77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian...with no meat, no eggs and no dairy. Try to avoid all animal products in general, but I can't call myself a true vegan at this time.
  • wendybrat75
    wendybrat75 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater...mostly chicken. I do love my veggies though!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    NOTA!

Like most humans, I'm an omnivore.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You know, I am really touched by the concern that meat eaters have for animals that may be killed in the harvesting of vegetables and grains. The only think I don't understand is why don't you show that same concern for the animals you eat. Never mind, there is such a thing as Karma. You kill the cow, the cow kills you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/12/red-meat-death-heart-cancer

if i took a bulldozer to a neighborhood full of homes and people to make room for a farm and in the process killed people would our penal code say it was just an accident ?

Just for the record, animals aren't people! :laugh:
  • janayfer1429
    Options
    Have to have my meat! Would go crazy without!!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I eat chicken and fish on occasion, but no mammals. I personally think there is nothing wrong with eating meat if you enjoy it and consume in moderation. I prefer getting locally raised chicken/locally purchased seafood.

Meat has just never appealed to me and I'm working on getting it out of my life. However, if I'm out to dinner with you, get whatever you want and ENJOY!
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Vegan :noway:
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am an omnivore - just as God intended. :)

Adam and Eve were vegetarian. If you read the book of Genesis, mankind were not allowed to eat meat until after the flood. Just saying:wink:
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

lol, God
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For me it's unnatural to eat meat. We don't have the teeth or digestive system of a carnivore.

Quite right. Physiologically we are herbivores. Here is an article by the Editor of the American Journal of Cardiology (I know, another pseudo scientific rag) :

William C. Roberts MD has five decades of experience in the field of cardiology, written over 1300 scientific publications, a dozen cardiology textbooks, and has been editor in chief of the American Journal of Cardiology for a quarter of a century. He is arguably the most highly regarded cardiologist in the world today.

In his 2008 editorial "The Cause of Atherosclerosis", published in the peer reviewed journal Nutrition in Clinical Practice, Roberts states that there is a single, sole cause to heart disease: cholesterol. If your total cholesterol is below 150 and LDL is below 70, you are essentially heart attack proof. What is the cause of high cholesterol? Saturated fat and animal products:

Atherosclerosis is easily produced in nonhuman
    herbivores (eg, rabbits, monkeys) by feeding them
    a high cholesterol (eg, egg yolks) or high saturated
    fat (eg, animal fat) diet… And atherosclerosis was not produced in a
    minority of rats fed these diets, it was produced in
    100% of the animals! Indeed, atherosclerosis is one
    of the easiest diseases to produce experimentally,
    but the experimental animal must be an herbivore.
    It is not possible to produce atherosclerosis in a
    carnivore…"

He elaborates in an earlier editorial:

It is virtually impossible, for example, to produce atherosclerosis in a dog even when 100 grams of cholesterol and 120 grams of butter fat are added to its meat ration. (This amount of cholesterol
    is approximately 200 times the average amount that human beings in the USA
    eat each day!). (The American Journal of Cardiology, 1990, vol. 66,896.)

He then utterly annihilates the human omnivore myth in a single sentence. here it is:

***Because humans get atherosclerosis, and atherosclerosis
    is a disease only of herbivores, humans also must be
    herbivores.***

At once the insanity of our times comes into razor sharp relief.

Some may debate whether cholesterol is the sole cause of heart disease. It does not matter, the fact remains that atherosclerosis occurs only in herbivores.

If humans were physiological omnivores, heart disease would not exist, let alone be America's #1 killer for over a hundred years.

It may not be the least bit hyperbolic to say that the existence of heart disease in humans is proof that we, as a species, are vegans.

In any case, a low fat vegan diet has been proven again and again to be the cure for heart disease. A mountain of clinical evidence supports this.

According to Roberts, those who are utterly immune to heart disease without the use of statin drugs are pure vegetarian fruit eaters. His own exact words. fruit eaters.

Wow, that's a helluva logical fallacy. What about the tiny little detail that no actual clinical studies have been able to show causation linking atherosclerosis to saturated fat, or cholesterol consumption? A minor detail, I'm sure.

What about the fact that you have no clue what you are talking about. Do you understand that 500 studies that show a definitive correlation are valuable studies? Do you understand that NO STUDY can ever control for every independent variable? Do you even know what an independent variable is?
    Do you know what a logical fallacy is? It's "proving" something by using irrelevant or misleading information. You can't prove humans aren't omnivores by comparing herbivores and carnivores. Where's the atherosclerosis experiments on omnivores?
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Adam and Eve were vegetarian. If you read the book of Genesis, mankind were not allowed to eat meat until after the flood. Just saying:wink:

It's as though the 'flood' brought on a post-apocalyptic scenario with humans looking like brain-eating zombies to the 'wild beasts'. Must have been a real shock to all the animals, lovingly ushered onto the ark. Noah to bison, "It only LOOKS like we care about you, but you're really just a crunchy snack we packed for the trip."
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Do you know what a logical fallacy is? It's "proving" something by using irrelevant or misleading information. You can't prove humans aren't omnivores by comparing herbivores and carnivores. Where's the atherosclerosis experiments on omnivores?

Wow, he found a logical fallacy that the Editor of the American Journal of Cardiology missed!

NOT!

Dr Roberts was giving the scientific definition of a Herbivore: an animal that can develop Atherosclerosis by eating meat. Humans can develop Atherosclerosis by eating meat. Therefore, humans are Herbivores.

Carnivores on the other hand can NOT develop Atherosclerosis by eating meat. No matter how much. Therefore Humans are not Carnivores.

Carnivores are an Order of Animals called Carnivora. These include Bears, cats and other animals who, not surprisingly will get very sick if they do not eat meat. Humans will not get very sick if they do not eat meat. They will only get very sick if they DO eat meat.

There is no Order "Omnivora." Omnivore is not a physiological classification, but rather a word that refers to choice of diet depending upon what is available. Virtually all mammals are omnivores. A bear or a cat can eat vegetables to survive, and a human can eat meat to survive, but vegetables are not the normal diet for carnivores, and meat is not the normal diet for herbivores.

So when we are talking about physiological classifications, the only two words that mean anything are herbivore and carnivore. Virtually all animals can eat sub optimal diets to survive. However omnivore is not a taxon, nor is it a physiological classification, it is an expression of what an animal can eat to survive. The wrong diet for an extended period of time for either category will cause morbidity for either herbivores or carnivores (physiological) even though both can be omnivores for a short period of time.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Here's my timeline:
    Birth -16: Omnivore
    16-32: Vegetarian (vegan diet on and off)
    32-34 (present): Omnivore

When I found out I had Celiac Disease (somewhere around 31, I think), eating became difficult. Being vegetarian had been healthy, easy, and natural for me, but when wheat, rye, barley, oats and all things made with those ingredients were taken away, I ended up with a VERY unbalanced diet and started losing weight rapidly. I kept being active, but I wasn't getting the nutrition I needed, and it led to injury. Things got worse and worse, so I started adding meat to my diet as a kind of stop-gap while I figured out how to eat gluten-free AND vegetarian in a healthy way.

At this point, I doubt I'll ever be 100% vegetarian again, though I would like to be vegetarian in my home and only eat meat when other people have prepared my food (I figure, gluten actually does serious harm to me, so if I have to be picky about what other people prepare for me, then I need to only focus on the thing that I CANNOT eat under any circumstances).

On the plus side, my sixteen years of vegetarianism and veganism taught me to be pretty diligent about reading labels and being clear about dietary restrictions when ordering food. Those skills have come in VERY handy since having to eat gluten-free.

I was healthy before I went vegetarian, and I was healthy during my time as a vegetarian; I do not think either is inherently more healthy or less healthy than the other. I know omnivores who love eating meat to excess and I know vegetarians who try to sustain themselves completely on processed foods (mock meats, etc.). In the Celiac world I know people who are gluten-free but who sustain themselves with processed gluten-free treats like GF cupcakes and breads.

I'm an everything-in-moderation believer. In eating meat, I do attempt to eat meats that come from animals that have not been treated with hormones, antibiotics, or have been forced to live in small cages and disgusting conditions. I'm not 100% there, but I think the attempt is important for health, environment, and ethical reasons.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    meat!!! all the way!!! I think God created us that way and created animals as a way to care for us. Keep us warm.
    The way they rapidly reproduce and how if we are a vegetarian we would usually have to take supplements to fill our needs (not everyone, but every ingredient doesn't grow in every region either). Many animals when not hunted get overpopulated to the point of starvation and suffering and it becomes a hazard to drivers.
    I know it is a lot easier on your muscles with protein. I can't get enough naturally, so have turned to a protein powder even. When I work out and dont' have enough I feel weak.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have been veggie - more a matter of self preservation than anything else. If you have ever tasted my mother's cooking you'll understand.

By nature I am a low meat eater. Quite happy to eat veggie dishes unless something I fancy has meat in it.

All my meat is locally sourced, organic, free range etc. Especially the bunnies which I shoot and butcher myself.

I'm not sure that the are we are arn't we as as cut and dried as one study onto one disease etc,

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm some interesting point published in a veggie journal but I have seen the same 'facts' used to argue that man is herbivore in other veggie publications.

I'd imagine that the truth of the matter is fairly obvious - we are meat adapted eaters with herbivorous characteristics, developed from opportunistic eaters of anything that happened by. But we do have a choice as we are neither fully carnivorous nor herbivorous.

That food adaptability is just one of those characteristics that made us top of the food chain!

So I choose and I choose to eat meat, but not a lot of it!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'd consider myself a pesco-wanabe-vegan :laugh: I don't eat meat apart from fish, but I avoid dairy products as much as possible because I've done extensive research and 100% believe that its not natural to drink the mammary secretions of other animals...no other species drinks the milk of another species. Milk is meant for babies, BREAST milk that is...cow milk is meant for baby cows. Everything that dairy offers is also available from a plant-based diet!
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    vegetarian here. I have been all my life since day one! I never wanted to try it at all and once i continued in that past. My parents stopped asking questions and were supportive about it
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love meat!!!! LOVE IT! Its delicious!!!!!

Ive heard different things.. meat is good for you.. meat is bad for you...

thoughts?

I am a meatatarian.

My FOOD eats grains.