Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I love meat!!!! LOVE IT! Its delicious!!!!!

Ive heard different things.. meat is good for you.. meat is bad for you...

thoughts?

Meat is wonderful for you. Saturated fats not so much. But you can't have beef or pork without the saturated or trans fats.
    I would eat 6 to 8 oz of fish each meal if I wasn't afraid of mercury poisoning. Instead I eat eggs and turkey whenever I can't eat fish.

There is a minute, negligible amount of trans fat in animal meat. The biggest sources of trans fats are from food processing and vegtable oils/shortenings, which is the result of peope stupidly trying to outsmart nature.

There are no real problems with saturated fat from animals, but trans fats wreak havoc on the human body. It sure is great that the government and other "agencies" forced most food producers to change to using vegtable oils.....

We have to remember meat you eat not isn't the same meat that was eaten 200 years ago. It wasn't pumped full of hormones to speed up it's growth, or dunked in ammonia before it was packed to sell to you.

Which is why people really need to be aware of what they are eating and use their purchasing power to change these things. Another reason I only shop for meat at a local butcher that does none of these things, and buy meat that I know is not fed antibiotics, growth hormones or grains.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian... with raw vegan tendencies. Lol!
  • insectseige
    Options
    Vegetarian apart from a year long stint as a vegan - for moral grounds not health reasons (altho it can be a bonus}
  • eatonlyplants
    Options
    I am vegan - been vegan since march 15, 2007. I love to cook! I am new on myfitnesspal.com and only have a couple of friends here. Please feel free to add me. Would love to share recipes and ideas!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat meat. Mostly lean meats. More fish and poultry than red meat.
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a "vegan Pescatarian." I eat fish for my b12, but I otherwise try to avoid meat and dairy. I am not as hyper-vigilant as a true vegan, so at restaurants if something has butter or cheese (and I forgot to ask them to leave it off) or is otherwise made with dairy, I don't stress. Same if I eat at someone else's house.

I originally became a vegetarian because of the environmental impact, and I feel much better about that with my highly reduced dairy consumption. Plus, I eat very healthy now! I've lost 11 pounds since I made the switch from Vegetarian to mostly vegan (admittedly I also avoid some of the junk I was eating).

So you're a Pescatarian then. You can get B12 from lots of other sources than just fish.
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Vegan, totally ethical reasons as I used to love meat and cheese but after some research I just couldn't stand the process that it takes to get the food to my plate. Even with 'ethical/organic/grass fed' meat/dairy/eggs.

Been vegan 2 and a half years, lost nearly 3 stone and LOVE IT!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Pastured meats and eggs are my dietary staples.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    I love meat :happy:

To me, a meal is not complete without meat.
  • ellez48
    ellez48 Posts: 2
    Options
    Vegetarian currently, although I'd like to go back to being a vegan some day
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Vegan for ethical/spiritual reasons and that as I cut out more and more animal products over a few years I felt better and better physically. I'm someone whose engine runs better without them.
  • lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 368
    Options
    I am a BBQ fan and hate to admit it but grilled veggies isn't where I stop.
    I do have more adversion to red meat these days but yes I'm carnivore.
  • Shaunte86
    Shaunte86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MEAT!!!
    --Couldn't live without it...
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan for health, ethical and moral reasons.
    I have never liked dairy and believe humans should not drink the milk of another animal especially past weaning.
    It was never so hard for me as I never liked meat but it was difficult giving up fish.
    I am very healthy and dance about nine hours a week and work out and hike.
    I believe that a human is healthiest on a plant based diet :)
    I don't believe that humans are better than other animals and don't feel we have the moral right to torture and kill them which is how things are mostly done in our world. I would be more forgiving if there were not alternatives but there are SOOO many and because I feel meat and dairy are bad for my body anyhow why would I make myself eat them...?
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Whoever said meat is bad for you, does not come from planet earth... :drinker:
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am omnivorous :)

Same here!
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    << Omnivore and proud!
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I. Am. OMNIVORE!
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Not eat Bacon? PUUUHHHLLEEEAAASSEEE!!! Not eat Steak? WHAAAATTTT? Definitely a meat eater.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Carnivore for ethical reasons. I hate the way plants are treated and refuse to eat their flesh.