Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Irrational fears

Replies

• Blenders. I'd really rather not use one if I don't have to do so. Clowns are pretty freaky too.

Blenders. . . mmmmmm. . . .margaritas
    sorry got distracted there for a minute
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Spiders. It once took me 4 hrs to get out of a wood park that was only a half a mile long because i couldn't find an escape route that didn't involve going thru a spider web with a big *kitten* spider on it. They had me surround and were going to eat me. :(
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Ok so last night my daughters and I were making Pillsbury biscuits (you know the ones from the can). I absolutely HATE opening those cans!!! Yes, I know how stupid this sounds but there is something about not know when it is going to *pop* that scares the crap out of me!

The funniest part is that my daughters, who I have been able to con into opening them the last few times, are freaked out by it too. It was quite a sight.

What irrational fears do you have? I need a good laugh this morning :)

You are not alone. My husband thinks its hilarious that I jump every time the damn things *pop*.
  • ebmoore11
    ebmoore11 Posts: 3 Member
    The ocean is a definite one, really any water that I can't see through makes me scared the whole time. Its terrifying not knowing whats in the water with me! On my honeymoon my husband and I went jet skiing, my first time ever. And I got out to where the water was dark blue and no longer sea through and I was having so much fun I didn't realize it, until I stopped and looked down. AND FREAKED the heck out! I raced back in land till I could see the sand in the water below and was good. haha

AND, escalators! Every time I get on, I always feel like I'll get caught up in the stairs before the start up and it'll pull me in. I know its like impossible, but every time, without fail I always flinch a little when I climb on. lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    If not for irrational fears, I might be fearless.

Probably my biggest one is when I am driving, I get afraid that suddenly I will lose control of the vehicle and go tumbling down the hill. (I t only happens when I am driving past a hill.)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member
    Clowns...until i met a certain jester on MFP

spiders...yes,yes but lots of people fear them

my weird one is that when I cross a bridge that goes over a body of water I get anxious, and plan how I would escape the car and save everyone if we went over the side...ive got my finger prepped to roll down the window...and a device to break the glass in my glove compartment...i watched Myth Busters once and they did a feature on getting out of the car while under water.

AH!!! i'm a freak...please dont delete me friends!!!!

Jules:flowerforyou:
  • I think I may have a solution to the biscuit can dilema. . . .I read from a google search that if you poke a hole in the side of the can before peeling the paper it wont pop.

I will have my 11 year old try this :)

Is there ANYTHING that you can't google.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,131 Member
    When I am taking a shower home alone, I will slip and die. Someone will come home to find me naked and dead in the shower! I at least want to have clothes on when I die. Oh and I am afraid if I hang my arm over the side of the bed, the monster will grab it and pull me under. LOL!!
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    I have to be facing the doorway or main entryway when I sit in a restaurant or meeting. I have a fear of someone 'creeping' up on me and surprising me. Also, the husband has strict warnings never to pull any AFV gags on me, either.
  • morgansmom02
    Mirrors in the Dark. They TERRIFY me. Seeing a shadowy figure (i.e. ME) move around in a room that I can't see well in gives me the heebie jeebies. Maybe I played too many rounds of "Bloody Mary" as a kid? I know where all the mirrors are in my house, and as I'm turning out the lights at night, I keep my head to the ground.

OMG YES! Me too!! My kid thinks it is funny to turn the light off when I am in the bathroom. I freak out every time!
  • morgansmom02
    I have to be facing the doorway or main entryway when I sit in a restaurant or meeting. I have a fear of someone 'creeping' up on me and surprising me. Also, the husband has strict warnings never to pull any AFV gags on me, either.

My dad has to sit facing the door wherever we go because he needs to see if we are in any danger!
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Those trucks that carry cars....they are double deckers and carry 8-10 cars on them to dealerships and whatnot. I'm paranoid that one of them will fall off the back or side and crush me as I'm driving/being driven.
  • Beleg
    I also have to be facing the entry way or exit. I prefer the tables by the exit doors that allow you to see everything and not have anything sneak up behind you. Didn't have this problem until i spent 2 tours overseas
  • Beleg
    I think the spiders one is very common. . .I personally dont mind them because they kill other bugs BUT it is pretty humorous to watch a 6'5 ft man scream like a girl when one jumps near him. . . .not that I am naming any names. . . :)

6ft 2in 300 lb man and I have to call for my 6 yr old to kill or shue them away for me.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Fish.

I hate fish. I can't even walk by the aquariums in a pet store. *shudder*
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    I think the spiders one is very common. . .I personally dont mind them because they kill other bugs BUT it is pretty humorous to watch a 6'5 ft man scream like a girl when one jumps near him. . . .not that I am naming any names. . . :)

6ft 2in 300 lb man and I have to call for my 6 yr old to kill or shue them away for me.

Ha! That's my husband! Most masculine man I know, and he is worse than a little girl about spiders.
  • I think the spiders one is very common. . .I personally dont mind them because they kill other bugs BUT it is pretty humorous to watch a 6'5 ft man scream like a girl when one jumps near him. . . .not that I am naming any names. . . :)

Ha ha thats great. . .kids can be pretty handy
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Injections. Or having blood drawn. Syringes, basically. I would generalize to needles, but I was tattooed, and wasn't scared of that in nearly the same way. Any medical/dental setting in which I might be stabbed with a sharp, or poked with a tool, *shudder* Is the WORST.

I had to be sedated so I could undergo a TB test.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Cockroaches. And I live in Texas. Not a good combination. One of my prerequisites for a boyfriend is being able to kill them, it would be a deal breaker for me if he couldn't...

lol this, i'm in Houston and recently moved to a new place. So far, one in my kitchen, one in my bathtub (what a great wake-up call) and one in my bedroom. There is a large tree (hence the name tree roaches I guess) next to my place.

I'm scared s**tless of them but it's KILL OR BE KILLED haha so I just saturate them with spray, then go run get a shoe and finish it off. I also sleep with the covers over my head :huh:

edit: oh and another one is sitting in the back of a car like a Camaro or any car with 2 doors. i fear that i can't get out and i'm trapped back there. I was also part of a function involving law enforcement. They transported us in the back of a police car and I had to sit back there with 3 other people. that plexiglass separator combined with the bars....i had to close my eyes so i wouldn't panic and look dumb in a car full of officers.
  • Mctree20
    Mctree20 Posts: 137
    Ok so last night my daughters and I were making Pillsbury biscuits (you know the ones from the can). I absolutely HATE opening those cans!!! Yes, I know how stupid this sounds but there is something about not know when it is going to *pop* that scares the crap out of me!

The funniest part is that my daughters, who I have been able to con into opening them the last few times, are freaked out by it too. It was quite a sight.

What irrational fears do you have? I need a good laugh this morning :)

You could just make them from scratch? Maybe use a toaster oven? :noway: