Ageism

Options

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    At Rosa's time, "african americans sit in the back of the bus" was the norm of society. It was one that needed to change, but it was the norm. I'm not saying they're equivalent, but the logic does hold up...
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    calling them boys doesnt bug me so much, but i do understand the concern of others about things like this. i know people will call equality on it, it is what we do best. but it isn't equal in any way at all. the kid refusing to pledge allegience was not being treated equally either, even if his idea wasn't considered smart (even though it was in my opinion) they should still let him do whatever the **** he wanted to do. he was harming no one, just as these younger customers were not bothering anyone. they were bothering the woman behind the counter, because of their age! (i know this is conclusive on my part, but i can only dissect it so much, i must conclude my point!)

Sweety, this makes you sounds ageist against the woman. You are judging this woman and her actions by her age and the fact that she was older than them. If she had been the same age and asked them to stop, there wouldn't be a problem here. Your problem is that an older person asked someone younger to stop something. Maybe you should look into your own prejuidices before you start judging other people.

it's not that, you guys arre pulling this apart without little to say about ageism at all. if another youth walked up to them and said "how inappropriate, don't do this in a restaurant", i think it would have been ageist just as well

If you subtract the age factor, how is asking someone who is doing something you feel is disruptive to stop ageist?? It doesn't fit the nice little definition of ageism that you provided to us earlier. This isn't even discrimination in such a simple request.

THIS.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    At Rosa's time, "african americans sit in the back of the bus" was the norm of society. It was one that needed to change, but it was the norm. I'm not saying they're equivalent, but the logic does hold up...

Pondering this comparison..... Rosa Parks was black and due to societal norms then should have given up her seat to a white person.

The kids playing quarter, because they were young, should have stopped playing quarters because....... an older adult..... didn't want to hear the noise/ see them playing/ whatever reason??
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    calling them boys doesnt bug me so much, but i do understand the concern of others about things like this. i know people will call equality on it, it is what we do best. but it isn't equal in any way at all. the kid refusing to pledge allegience was not being treated equally either, even if his idea wasn't considered smart (even though it was in my opinion) they should still let him do whatever the **** he wanted to do. he was harming no one, just as these younger customers were not bothering anyone. they were bothering the woman behind the counter, because of their age! (i know this is conclusive on my part, but i can only dissect it so much, i must conclude my point!)

Sweety, this makes you sounds ageist against the woman. You are judging this woman and her actions by her age and the fact that she was older than them. If she had been the same age and asked them to stop, there wouldn't be a problem here. Your problem is that an older person asked someone younger to stop something. Maybe you should look into your own prejuidices before you start judging other people.

it's not that, you guys arre pulling this apart without little to say about ageism at all. if another youth walked up to them and said "how inappropriate, don't do this in a restaurant", i think it would have been ageist just as well

There is little to say about the ageism of the example you provided because it is not a good example of ageism. And if a person of the same age had asked then NO thats not ageist. To be ageist there must be some element of age discrimination. Are you implying that a person of the same age requesting another to act respectfully in public is ageist against thier own age?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    BTW, I feel like I'm back in college in my sociology classes :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I love it!! Debate without anger or name calling. I love it!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

There is little to say about the ageism of the example you provided because it is not a good example of ageism. And if a person of the same age had asked then NO thats not ageist. To be ageist there must be some element of age discrimination. Are you implying that a person of the same age requesting another to act respectfully in public is ageist against thier own age?

ALTHOUGH!!!! I must say that one person within a group who dislikes/disassociates with that group can discriminate against others in groups. The example in my mind is that one black person can discriminate against another black person, but not for being black but because one feels superior to another (i.e. an educated black male discriminating against a labeled "ghetto" black male). But then it isn't racial discrimination.... it would be more of a class discrimination, an educational discrimination type situation.

But agreed -- discrimination is based on the assumption one party has power over the other and exploits/abuses the party without power.
  • CasperO
    Options
    BTW, I feel like I'm back in college in my sociology classes :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I love it!! Debate without anger or name calling. I love it!!
    It's early. Somebody will call somebody a nazi soon, Godwin sez...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I must be slipping. :wink:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It's early. Somebody will call somebody a nazi soon, Godwin sez...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:lurk:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

Let me reword that.

In Rosa's time, it was the norm for blacks to sit in the back of the bus. That was based on racial discrimination. Yes it was wrong. I don't see how that compares to teenagers wanting to play quarter bounce in a public restaurant. The basis of Rosa's stance was for a purpose that affected an entire race of people.
    We have dissected this teens in Tim Hortons situation and it is clear that there was no specific age discrimination. It is easy to argue that quarter bounce in a restaurant is inappropriate. The game can get noisey, a quarter could hit someone...

Comparing that to a women who made such a contribution to our society is disrespectful. It is not neccessary to play games in restaurants, but human rights are necessary. Thats like comparing a stand against the food industry to petitioning for a new flavor of fruit roll ups.

If these teens were told that they may NEVER play quarters anywhere, anytime, then I can see the deal. But they were just asked not to play in one area.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Ageism exists in all regards and at all ages. We live in a world of everything-ism. We don't live in a respectful society, in general, so it's made a lot of us bitter toward a lot of things- young people, old people, stupid people, dull people, reactionary people, weak people, sick people, fast drivers, slow drivers, pedestrians, bikers-- even people exactly like us. We want what we want, we know what we know, and for the most part, anyone who challenges that is wrong in one way or another. If we react by saying, "you're too young to understand", while it may be true, it's moreso our way of saying, "shut up and listen to me because I'm right". It's a rare person who will open mindedly listen and hear what a person is saying when it goes against what they fundamentally believe or have concluded, so they'll react on whatever grounds they see they can- age, education, life experience, financial status, etc.

In the case of the boys playing quarters, she wanted them to stop, so she took the "I'm older, so I know better" approach. In truth, it was probably no more annoying than the obnoxiously loud conversations you hear in coffee shops.
  • CasperO
    Options
    That's it,,, Brenda for President. Thank you dear.

(Love the pic BTW).
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

:wink: But I did hit the spacebar kinda hard a time or two. lol:laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

(Love the pic BTW).

Here here!! That was WELL PUT Brenda!
    And I too love the new av!!! Hubba Hubba!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

:wink: But I did hit the spacebar kinda hard a time or two. lol:laugh:

I didn't say it wasn't a LIVELY debate! :wink: :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

I must be slipping. :wink:

Marla, the problem you and I have is that we tend to agree too often. Tends to make us not call each other too many names, you pretentious..... (uh, thinking of another word I can stick here)....... CONSERVATIVE!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:
  • CasperO
    Options
    Them's fightin' words. :devil:
  • BrendaLee
    Options

(Love the pic BTW).

Merci. :)
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I haven't had a good debate in a while. I kind of needed this. I'm writing and argumentitive paper on the commercialization of food and was losing interest.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    I haven't had a good debate in a while. I kind of needed this. I'm writing and argumentitive paper on the commercialization of food and was losing interest.

That must be quite an interesting paper to write though, considering the commercialization of food has been one of the biggest contributers to the downfall of society...right up there with television and the internet. :P
This discussion has been closed.