Ageism

Options
1235»

Replies

• leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I haven't had a good debate in a while. I kind of needed this. I'm writing and argumentitive paper on the commercialization of food and was losing interest.

That must be quite an interesting paper to write though, considering the commercialization of food has been one of the biggest contributers to the downfall of society...right up there with television and the internet. :P

It is interesting. Its also hard to keep an appetite wilst researching these things. Thats why I need to break from it often.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i wish i didn't disappear earlier, my pc was lagging! someone said this

"The example in my mind is that one black person can discriminate against another black person, but not for being black but because one feels superior to another (i.e. an educated black male discriminating against a labeled "ghetto" black male). But then it isn't racial discrimination.... it would be more of a class discrimination, an educational discrimination type situation. "

in regards to the idea that someone else said you can't be ageist towards the same age group. you so can.

my example is a little more extreme in that, if a black person calls another black person a ******...it is racist. chris rock has great examples of this. they will see "racism don't exist" "how can we be racist towards other black people" it is the perpetuation of a stereotype and taking that group, your group even, and forcing it to continue existing in a certain role.

thus, a teenager telling another teenager to not play quarters in a coffee shop on the reason that "this is not appropriate restaurant behavior", is a little ageist, if you can't see that, that is fine. it isn't the most extreme example, i provided others but they weren't debated to the end of time because people, hopefully, could see that. ageism occurs allllll the time. same with all the other isms.

btw, nice brenda, very nicely put.

and my example did fit the definition. and btw. definitions on dictionary.com are usually so much broader. there are bodies of research on 'isms', you can't really deconstruct it to a single sentence.

as well, i do see ageism as a form of oppressio:

op⋅pres⋅sion
      /əˈprɛʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-presh-uhn] Show IPA
    Use oppression in a Sentence
    See web results for oppression
    See images of oppression
    –noun
    1. the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner.
    2. an act or instance of oppressing.
    3. the state of being oppressed.
    4. the feeling of being heavily burdened, mentally or physically, by troubles, adverse conditions, anxiety, etc.

putting someone into a category and ensuring that they stay there is oppressive in all manners.

and my rosa parks statement was heavily apt.

my conversation feels disjointed now since i left. bah!
  • foxyforce
    Options
    I haven't had a good debate in a while. I kind of needed this. I'm writing and argumentitive paper on the commercialization of food and was losing interest.

That must be quite an interesting paper to write though, considering the commercialization of food has been one of the biggest contributers to the downfall of society...right up there with television and the internet. :P

It is interesting. Its also hard to keep an appetite wilst researching these things. Thats why I need to break from it often.

that does sound interesting. i hope you remember to take an intersectional approach!

and one word: capitalism

that is all. :)
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    This topic is over for me. I am disgusted at the use of the N word. Seriously. Wanna talk about immature. Ageisms. To have any debate at all you must consider who you are talking to. Educate youself on appropriate forum language. And I'm not correcting you because you are younger than me. Its because you clearly overstepped a boundry!
  • foxyforce
    Options
    This topic is over for me. I am disgusted at the use of the N word. Seriously. Wanna talk about immature. Ageisms. To have any debate at all you must consider who you are talking to. Educate youself on appropriate forum language. And I'm not correcting you because you are younger than me. Its because you clearly overstepped a boundry!

i do not condone whatsoever using inappropriate language, such as ******, but it is a reality, open your eyes, people are racist, and while i concur that it is a more severe form of oppression, it is still oppresion. how can you even state that there is a boundary when I was discussing semantics.

Educate yourself on reality. It extends and seeps into every crevice of our life, forums are not exempt, and I think it is more than appropriate to bring it to the surface instead of pretending that it doesn't exist.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Then don't use the language. My eyes are open sweetie. I live in Detroit. My heart goes out to you, I know where I come from your semantics would be argued differently. As in, you would have not had the oppurtunity to respond after someone corrected you using that word.

I am educated. I know that there is a difference between avoiding a topic and being blatently disrespectful. And this wasn't even the original topic. You took it way too far. You have no idea who is reading this. You have no idea how that word can hurt someone. There are forum rules. Have you read them? These are forums about health diet and fitness. We all have oppurtunities to bring up other topics, but if you want to go to this level, then MFP is not the place.

I did not attack you personally by suggesting you educate yourself on the rules. Your response was childish. Educate myself on reality? You have no idea who I am or how educated I am. You judged me. The fact is that you used a term that is openly offensive. I was offended and I have the right to tell you that without you barking back sarcastically and insulting my intelligence. I know reality. I've seen people beat to a bloody pulp for the use of that word. That is reality.

Again. Consider who you are talking to and who may read what you are saying. You think being called a girl is offensive....whoa, you have no idea what oppression really is.

And thats that. I reported this as offensive. Because that is what it is. It works both ways my friend.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Then don't use the language. My eyes are open sweetie. I live in Detroit. My heart goes out to you, I know where I come from your semantics would be argued differently. As in, you would have not had the oppurtunity to respond after someone corrected you using that word.

I am educated. I know that there is a difference between avoiding a topic and being blatently disrespectful. And this wasn't even the original topic. You took it way too far. You have no idea who is reading this. You have no idea how that word can hurt someone. There are forum rules. Have you read them? These are forums about health diet and fitness. We all have oppurtunities to bring up other topics, but if you want to go to this level, then MFP is not the place.

I did not attack you personally by suggesting you educate yourself on the rules. Your response was childish. Educate myself on reality? You have no idea who I am or how educated I am. You judged me. The fact is that you used a term that is openly offensive. I was offended and I have the right to tell you that without you barking back sarcastically and insulting my intelligence. I know reality. I've seen people beat to a bloody pulp for the use of that word. That is reality.

Again. Consider who you are talking to and who may read what you are saying. You think being called a girl is offensive....whoa, you have no idea what oppression really is.

And thats that. I reported this as offensive. Because that is what it is. It works both ways my friend.

my whole point was that people should be able to talk about how oppression exists, and how it exists on a spectrum. and you don't want to talk about it, that is your choice. but avoiding a topic when someone is just trying to shed some light on it...

i think these things should be talked about. do you know how many ppl believe that racism doesnt even exist?
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder folks, please keep the discussion civil. You can debate the message, but you can't attack the messenger. Attacking or insulting other members is a violation of the site rules and can result in a suspension of your posting privileges or a permanent ban from the site, so please make sure to respect one another at all times.

Also, our forum filters should have picked up the N-word and ***** it out. I will make sure that that happens from now on.

I'm locking this topic to ensure it doesn't continue to deteriorate...
This discussion has been closed.