Why do people get mad at me for trying to be healthy?!?!

Options

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Because motivational quotes are obnoxious. Nobody else finds then motivational they say hey look at me I am better then you I should be your motivation. If you like then for you then great but others don't want to see it. I would unsubscribe to a friends feed who was trying to spam me with woo motivation stuff too.

Post your workout if you need to because that is authentic you but the keep the motivational stuff for you .
    Facebook is not you saying stuff for you it is you saying stuff for others.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I realize I actually stopped telling my friends how much weight, I was losing after I had dropped 14 pounds. I got comments that it was unhealthy. Helllooooooo I was already a UK size 18-20, at this point and very unhappy with how I felt.

They want to talk about how they want to lose weight, but actually doing something about it is completely different.
  • M1ssdanni
    M1ssdanni Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yeh I get told I have an eating disorder because I don't eat junk food anymore and go to the gym :|

I find people that post loads of motivational stuff eveyday annoying but if it's just once a day or now and then I don't see that as pushing it in their face or being over the top.
    Or it could be jealousy because they see you doing good and it's reminding them that they are not..
    I just used to unfollow people that posted about their kids constantly..now that is annoying!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Facebook is not a health/fitness side. Stop posting there about it. That's what this site is for.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My Facebook girlfriend set up a private group to share her journey to fitness and health. I think she is wise. Not everyone cheers on this sort of success. Some take it as a jab at their own failings.

I'm an old gal so a daily fitness post does seem excessive to me. I post pictures of my pancakes once a week.
  • seximama2017
    seximama2017 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I don't post crap about my achievements on any other social media site but this one. I'm a do-er not a sayer so my actions (& weight loss) speaks for itself. When my friends finally see me they ask what I've been doing, and usually compliment me. And, I only help those who ask me and want to know how to do it. I bet if you just did it and said nothing about it, their attitudes would change. Do a little personal research study on it. You'll see.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Because it makes them have to look at their own unhealthy eating and lifestyles and that makes people uncomfortable.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all that but I've learned that no one cares about your macros or workouts. Start an IG if you want to share.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just to add: Quitting Facebook has been the best thing I ever did for my mental health and stress levels. Better than leaving a bad relationship, better than quitting smoking, better than losing weight. And easier than either three by a long shot. If it's an option for you, I recommend cutting out the chatter.

Not having Facebook seems to have saved me a lot of annoyance and frustration. Plus I get to see people sputter like crazy when I say that I do not have a Facebook.

I agree with you. I have never been in Facebook or any other social media, except for MFP ;), and after reading the OP and other poster's comments I am glad that I don't.

People do get annoyed and surprised because I don't have a Facebook page. Many of them have stopped sending me pictures attached to their e-mails too. I asked a friend for a picture of her daughter's wedding and she told me that they were all on Facebook and too bad that I wasn't there. We haven't communicated much in almost a year.

OP, no need to post daily what you do or did at the gym or what and how much you eat everyday. That would be too much information even for people in MFP. It seems to me that you need a lot of validation and recognition and some people don't care for that. I know I wouldn't. And that is why I decided to not have friends in here either...life is too complicated already to allow modern technology to make it more unpleasant.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm glad I don't have BookFace anymore.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    It's called conviction. You subliminally make them feel uncomfortable about themselves and what they should be doing and no one really wants to acknowledge their flaws or inadequacies.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's the mentality, if I'm eating a burger and fries, so should you.
    Doesn't make it your fault whatsoever, nth, I'd get new friends.
    You either love me, or you don't, thick or thin should not change things.
    You do what you want with your FB.
  • sheps1990
    sheps1990 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not had a Facebook for almost 6 years now so I don't have these specific problems. However, I do feel that some friends try to sabotage my healthy eating by ordering in takeaways and bringing in candy to our apartment and throwing it on my lap. I used to feel bad for declining but now I am past caring. People say that others judge on people who want to eat junk food but I actually find it the other way around - I've never been more frowned upon by friends for my food choices than when I am making healthy food choices.
  • sheps1990
    sheps1990 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    But going back to your friends unfollowing you. You have the right to post what you want on your wall, but remember, they also have as much right to decide what the see on their feed. I wouldn't take it to heart.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think some people go overboard on their health updates. Instead of only posting major events, they are 'VIRTUE SIGNALLING' by posting every little thing they do health related. When you are in the middle of it, you may not see it.

It's annoying, sorta like a new parent talking about every little thing that happens to their new baby, with pictures. Don't care how frequently your baby does it's business or how many calories you burned on what machine. After skimming the posts here, most of you don't see it. You lack self awareness on this one.

People do it on politics as well.
    929.jpg
  • gypsy516
    gypsy516 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else having this issue? I have been posting a few inspirational weight loss/health/fitness pictures on my facebook page here and I sometimes write about my workout experiences. I had a friend (she's overweight btw) actually unsubscribe from my posts because of it. I could understand if I was constantly spamming them but I usually only post about once a day on facebook. She said the posts were "annoying" and "We all know you're trying to get healthy and all. Good for you but I don't want to hear about it." WHAT? You're ok with everyone else's 20 posts about their drama with their bf, endless pictures of cats and ridiculous amounts of political graphics but you don't want to see my ONE post a day about being healthy?!?! Also, my sister (she is overweight too) and I were discussing the whole ChikFilA thing and I said "Well, I wasn't going to go there anyway because I'd rather make my own chicken sandwich instead of eating one with a ridiculous fat content." and my sister said "JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO WORK OUT AND STARVE YOURSELF DOESN'T MEAN EVERYONE ELSE DOES!!" ....it just took me aback because A: I DO NOT starve myself and B: It was not a personal attack on her or anyone else. I was just talking about me. On top of that, I get a bunch of aggressive comments from some friends telling me I'm crazy and that I don't need to eat healthy or work out because I don't need to lose weight. Some friends literally get ANGRY when I order something healthy when we go out to eat. "A salad? Are you serious?!?! That's so lame!! If I knew you were just going to get a salad I wouldn't have invited you!" They push ridiculously hard for me to get something fatty whereas before, they didn't give a crap what I ate. I have other examples but I already pretty much wrote an essay haha. But what is up with that?!?! Why do people get so angry when you talk about health, weight loss or fitness?!?! You seriously would think I was trying to talk about religion or politics!!!!

When I posted something about healthy habits in fb, people ignore my posts too
  • sssynnamon
    sssynnamon Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    From ..."obsessed is the word the lazy use to describe the dedicated".

I am SO stealing this!

• susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I find most motivational quotes trite. I would hide you from my feed too. And if you are asking me to repost if I agree, I would hunt you down.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If 15 people like this, I'll eat a carrot today. I think FB has just increased the self-centeredness of society. Look at me! I just did something that everyone else does too, praise me for being amazing! Plus, it's not official until it's on FB.

How many likes is an awesome, insightful, or inspirings, or Spam/abuse flags?