"It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

Options

Replies

• m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think the bottom line here is if you keep to macros you can't eat what you want

Its like saying x+y=z and if x=1 and y=2 then z can be anything...

It doesn't work like that there are inter-dependencies

"And there is soooo much on here that goes like... "HERE IS A BIG CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT" ... oh well actually IF you chose to read between the lines its not quite what I meant. Aint I clever and you stupid!!"... its boring

Which is great for overweight people who want to read they can eat whatever they want - misinterpret the subtlety and fail because the OP doesnt say IIFYM they say ""It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM" not quite the same thing
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think the bottom line here is if you keep to macros you can't eat what you want

Its like saying x+y=z and if x=1 and y=2 then z can be anything...

It doesn't work like that there are inter-dependencies

That would mainly depend on caloric intake, eating 1,200 cals you have a lot less wiggle room than if you're eating 3,000 cals. It's really not that hard to get in adequate protein and fats with about 60-80ish% of your intake
  • MamaKay3
    MamaKay3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. My dr. always says moderation is key.
    Moderation and IIFYM worked very well for me.

Cutting out entire food groups and meals you enjoy just isn't sustainable. It's not something you'll do forever. So you're just on another diet.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the rest but I would think you can probably still loose weight eating whatever as long as you hit your targets but you probably won't be as healthy as of
    You were focusing more on healthy clean foods:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the rest but I would think you can probably still loose weight eating whatever as long as you hit your targets but you probably won't be as healthy as of

Here's my issue/question/whatever with the concept of "healthy clean foods."

Last night, I had Carribean Jerk chicken, green beans, a baked potato with a squirt of bacon ranch dressing, and baked beans mixed with mac & cheese.

Now aside from the can of Bush's grillin' beans mixed with the mac & cheese (homemade, a cheese powder box mix), which taste incredible together, but is still admittedly pretty processed and not something I'm eating because it's nutritious...

Why would adding about 30 calories of Carribean Jerk marinade to chicken breast and 70 calories of the bacon ranch dressing to my spud make me any less healthy?
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Last night, I had Carribean Jerk chicken, green beans, a baked potato with a squirt of bacon ranch dressing, and baked beans mixed with mac & cheese.

Now aside from the can of Bush's grillin' beans mixed with the mac & cheese (homemade, a cheese powder box mix), which taste incredible together, but is still admittedly pretty processed and not something I'm eating because it's nutritious...

Why would adding about 30 calories of Carribean Jerk marinade to chicken breast and 70 calories of the bacon ranch dressing to my spud make me any less healthy?

I'd say this is pretty balanced. Not at all what I was referring to
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff ( niner bikes ? ) Acg67, and that dude that has the bicep arm avatar..

You three have given me a lot to think about over the course of the last 24 hours.. I have done a lot of reading and even consulted a few trainers..

I can definitely see how this can and is successful and going forward it has given me a another tool in my arsenal.

Thanks for opening my eyes on this and I apologize for being a little close minded towards this..

Have a great weekend !!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I'd say this is pretty balanced. Not at all what I was referring to

I think the problem is that people's definition of "clean" isn't the same. To me, "clean" food is when I've washed it and/or made sure it didn't fall on the floor. Some people would say that my diet is full of junk food, but to me, I feel it's quite healthy because I am getting lots of nutrients in my body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff ( niner bikes ? ) Acg67, and that dude that has the bicep arm avatar..

You three have given me a lot to think about over the course of the last 24 hours.. I have done a lot of reading and even consulted a few trainers..

I can definitely see how this can and is successful and going forward it has given me a another tool in my arsenal.

Thanks for opening my eyes on this and I apologize for being a little close minded towards this..

Have a great weekend !!!
    Trust me when I say when I started in fitness, I only adhered to a lot of bro science from back in the day. I didn't want to believe that taking a ton of supplements (at one point I was taking 30 pills a day) wasn't really helping me to put on the weight and muscle I wanted. Then I actually learned about it from scientific research and arrived at the conclusion that if your macro/micro nutrients were met daily, supplementation (with the exception of whey protein shakes) weren't really needed. Saved me $200 a month.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Have a great weekend !!!

Everyone mark your calendars. I don't think this has ever happened on MFP.

;)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    "If doesn't matter what you eat, as long as it fits your macros, is in your calorie limit, etc". (and assuming you are getting your nutrients somehow) -- You will still lose weight.

Do you think this is true?

Although I was within my caloric range and preset macros, I feel disgusting after three waffles last night. Is this a product of the syrup not digesting well, a lack of nutrients, or the subconscious notion that bad food makes you fat, no matter how little of it you eat?

Just wanted to know your opinions on this idea as I hear it a lot around the boards.

From a purely weight loss perspective it's absolutely true. This has nothing to do with health or how "you feel". That's a different story all together.
  • phdcharlie
    Options
    Yeah, you'll probably loose weight but what about your health? Internal organs? Hair? Skin? Nails? Teeth? It's not just about losing weight it's about being healthy.

This is the answer.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you'll probably loose weight but what about your health? Internal organs? Hair? Skin? Nails? Teeth? It's not just about losing weight it's about being healthy.

This is the answer.
    Not if you read the entire thread and understand what "IIFYM" really means.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

This is the answer.
    Not if you read the entire thread and understand what "IIFYM" really means.

Bingo!
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What you eat does matter a lot. It matters because some things make you feel full and some make you hungrier, it matters because some things give you the vitamins you need to be healthy, and some don't, it matters because junk food addiction is a real problem, but it also matters because you don't digest everything in the same way. As a result, the calories you eat and the calories you actually consume aren't the same thing.

I suggest you read this article for a more detailed explanation: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/08/27/the-hidden-truths-about-calories/
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM.

I'm sensible in my choices, but I allow room for the things I enjoy like wine, cookies, etc. And I hit my macros quite nicely

IIFYM FTW!

OP, we are friends, so I think you probably already know that I will happily have a day with Taco Bell, Wine and Fun Dip and be okay with it. I aim for calorie count first, although on like bike ride days I aim to hit my protein goals for sure as well.

So yes, I'm sensible in my choices, a lot better than I used to be, but I fail if I cut out everything I love. And I love wine, dammit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people have read this thread title as, "It doesn't matter what you eat, IYKWIM" instead of "It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

That could explain some of the confusion.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a sensible way to structure your eating and keep you in deficit. It allows you a bit of flexibility to have some "non diet" food in your intake.

However, it is a bit misunderstood. If you are balancing your macros you can't simply have a diet full of junk food and think you are doing IIFYM. The idea is to hit all or near to your macro goals and your calorie goals. If you have a goal of say 2000 calories and 180g of protein and you eat donuts all day you will end up going over your carb and fat goals but leaving only say 300 calories to get say 160g of protein.

Not going to happen is it...

300 calories is more like 75grams of protein. Even worse.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

Have a great weekend !!!
    Wow.. props to this guy! :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    What you eat does matter a lot. It matters because some things make you feel full and some make you hungrier, it matters because some things give you the vitamins you need to be healthy, and some don't, it matters because junk food addiction is a real problem, but it also matters because you don't digest everything in the same way. As a result, the calories you eat and the calories you actually consume aren't the same thing.

I suggest you read this article for a more detailed explanation: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/08/27/the-hidden-truths-about-calories/
    But this doesn't discuss IIFYM which is what the OP has questioned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition