"It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Should we apply a bit of real life here and not all theory

My maintain is about 2750. I work out my calories carefully and precisely

If I eat well, chicken etc at those calories my weight stays the same but I look relatively toned and well

If I eat crap and buscuits I stay the same weight but I get a saggy gut and feel flabby.

A calorie is a calorie - but is you want to look good the macros have to be right

Ummm...what?

Maybe I'm not quite getting your point.

If you are saying you can eat whatever you want as long as the calories are right then bottom line is I don't agree with you

Cause you're misinformed about nutrition and dieting.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me :( Clean eating & severely restricting alcohol is the only thing that seems to help me shed weight.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    You will still lose weight, as long as you stay under your caloric goals, but that doesn't mean you'll be healthy/feel good if you have crappy food.

Subjective. You're speaking for millions of people now regarding whether or not they'll "feel good" or "be healthy"?
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is a solid little tip to go by, IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING. As you get more into it, you do need to start picking better food to eat.

the kind of food you eat DOES have an impact in body composition

protein is not protein. some protein is soy, some is a isolate, etc. There are different kinds of protein, just like there are different kinds of fat and carbs

oats are really low on the GI scale, while eating a hamburger may be similar calorie wise, when it comes down to body composition you cant tell me they are the same

think about it as the gas in your car, sure unleaded is the cheapest and it still makes your car run, but you also have to realize that the next best gas may be a little more expensive but it also makes your car run better than unleaded does. hope that makes sense.

i have a public diary and pay really close attention to my nutrition as i am an aspiring bodybuilder who has dreams of competing in a bb show in the next 2-3 years. feel free to take a peak at my diary if you feel the need
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me :( Clean eating & severely restricting alcohol is the only thing that seems to help me shed weight.

^^^This^^^
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Although I was within my caloric range and preset macros, I feel disgusting after three waffles last night. Is this a product of the syrup not digesting well, a lack of nutrients, or the subconscious notion that bad food makes you fat, no matter how little of it you eat?

Whatever your diet philosophy or the numbers you're tracking, if eating something (or a certain amount of something) makes you feel like crap, don't.

and then remind me of this rule next time my husband wants to get the double large specialty pizza deal.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    IIFYM is a solid little tip to go by, IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING. As you get more into it, you do need to start picking better food to eat.

the kind of food you eat DOES have an impact in body composition

protein is not protein. some protein is soy, some is a isolate, etc. There are different kinds of protein, just like there are different kinds of fat and carbs

oats are really low on the GI scale, while eating a hamburger may be similar calorie wise, when it comes down to body composition you cant tell me they are the same

think about it as the gas in your car, sure unleaded is the cheapest and it still makes your car run, but you also have to realize that the next best gas may be a little more expensive but it also makes your car run better than unleaded does. hope that makes sense.

i have a public diary and pay really close attention to my nutrition as i am an aspiring bodybuilder who has dreams of competing in a bb show in the next 2-3 years. feel free to take a peak at my diary if you feel the need

Good attempt bro, but a lot of your thinking is broscience.
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm a "if it fits your macros" kind of person.

If I'm getting several servings of fruit & veg, hitting reasonably close to my protein & fat goals, and still have room for a cupcake or a mojito... I'm going to have a cupcake or a mojito. Or a cupcake AND a mojito. :drinker:

My goals are 50% carb, 25% fat, 25% protein. So far this week, I'm at 48%, 26% and 26%.

^^^^^This is correct IIFYM. enough said.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You have to look at the big picture... There is so much more than the numbers that goes in to be successful at weight loss and I think those who are fit and are looked at as examples for those who are trying to get fit are being irresponsible for condoning this method.
    Irresponsible? Dude, I DO this for a living. I used to condone the "eat clean" only philosophy when I started. Did people lose weight? Yep. But guess what, 3 months later weight returned. So here I go again training them to do the same method over.............and over...............and over again.
    So why did they regain? Because the "diet" they were one left them feeling deprived of foods they liked. Now if I was a money grubbing personal trainer, then I would keep this philosophy because I would always be inundated with the same clientele.

My philosophy now (IIFYM) with clients "gets rid of them". Meaning they don't come back once they reach goal. Why? Because they DON'T regain and actual LEARNED how to eat what they want with control and moderation. Clients got what they paid for, live a better life and are HAPPIER with themselves for it. And they pass that on a successful to others they know. Please tell me how that's irresponsible?

The big picture is HEALTH is more than just about food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You have to look at the big picture... There is so much more than the numbers that goes in to be successful at weight loss and I think those who are fit and are looked at as examples for those who are trying to get fit are being irresponsible for condoning this method.
    Irresponsible? Dude, I DO this for a living. I used to condone the "eat clean" only philosophy when I started. Did people lose weight? Yep. But guess what, 3 months later weight returned. So here I go again training them to do the same method over.............and over...............and over again.
    So why did they regain? Because the "diet" they were one left them feeling deprived of foods they liked. Now if I was a money grubbing personal trainer, then I would keep this philosophy because I would always be inundated with the same clientele.

My philosophy now (IIFYM) with clients "gets rid of them". Meaning they don't come back once they reach goal. Why? Because they DON'T regain and actual LEARNED how to eat what they want with control and moderation. Clients got what they paid for, live a better life and are HAPPIER with themselves for it. And they pass that on a successful to others they know. Please tell me how that's irresponsible?

IDEA Fitness member

^^ Yes, this.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is subjective, and I don't think I am missing the point. I completely understand the body doesn't know the difference in terms of what you put it.. It processes what you put in regardless. Its up to you to use your mind and make right choices when making food choices. There is so much more that goes into that Big mac that is not included in your metrics that plays a row in the human body, these things need to be accounted for.

I understand that if you eat at a deficit you will loose weight.. Its all numbers and focusing purely on the numbers is not what gets you from 300lbs 170lbs..

By the numbers it works.. I can admit that, but it is totally inadvisable in my opinion..

Now to answer the whole what if they worked out int he morning... Since Johnny only at a cracker for dinner he wakes up ravenous eats the left over oreoes in his pantry works out and has a big mac again for lunch totally pushing his numbers to the max... Because he is REALLY hungry at dinner time he decides to forget this and gives up....... Poor johnny ..

Inadvisable for who?

I think it is inadvisable for the majority on here to be pushing this method to the masses at least to be more informed than some one who is 300 lbs and saying I eat what I want and still lose weight..

Take my back ground I have a BA in Computer science as well as a host of other certifications I wont go in to.. I am not going to go on to How to use windows for dummies forums and say YOU should be using Linux and give little information and move on.

Now if people came to me and said can you teach me how to begin to migrate away form windows to say "name your version of Linux" I would be happy to guide and help them ..

Same goes for you .. I stalked your profile ..

But I do want to ask, from your professional honest point of view? Why do you think majority of well known fitness experts who have diet guides/plans out there do not have a guide or path for this method of dieting ?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In my experience, it definitely does matter. For my first 50 pounds lost, I ate the same every day, Weight Watchers meals, low cal noodles, etc. Then I suddenly stopped losing.. So this week I tried something different, fruit smoothies in the morning, homemade chicken and vegetable soup for lunch, chicken and a plate of veg for dinner, fruit smoothie in the evening, and plenty of water. I have lost over 5 pounds this week alone..
    So you either ate less, or worked out more to lose actual tissue weight. Or your sodium was probably reduced, which is what I'm assuming since you ate your meals.

IDEA Fitness member

I don't ever work out. And I haven't been eating less, just cleaner
    So in other words, less sodium. Which is a water retainer.

IDEA Fitness member
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Should we apply a bit of real life here and not all theory

My maintain is about 2750. I work out my calories carefully and precisely

If I eat well, chicken etc at those calories my weight stays the same but I look relatively toned and well

If I eat crap and buscuits I stay the same weight but I get a saggy gut and feel flabby.

A calorie is a calorie - but is you want to look good the macros have to be right

Ummm...what?

Maybe I'm not quite getting your point.

If you are saying you can eat whatever you want as long as the calories are right then bottom line is I don't agree with you

Cause you're misinformed about nutrition and dieting.

No because I know what does and doesn't work for me.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it definitely does matter. For my first 50 pounds lost, I ate the same every day, Weight Watchers meals, low cal noodles, etc. Then I suddenly stopped losing.. So this week I tried something different, fruit smoothies in the morning, homemade chicken and vegetable soup for lunch, chicken and a plate of veg for dinner, fruit smoothie in the evening, and plenty of water. I have lost over 5 pounds this week alone..
    So you either ate less, or worked out more to lose actual tissue weight. Or your sodium was probably reduced, which is what I'm assuming since you ate your meals.

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Nope, I've always watched my sodium, and never even come close to reaching my daily sodium limit
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    But I do want to ask, from your professional honest point of view? Why do you think majority of well known fitness experts who have diet guides/plans out there do not have a guide or path for this method of dieting ?
    Because it doesn't make money.:laugh: :laugh: Actually there are, but since weight loss is "slower", it's not advertised as much. Remember here in the weight loss world, "instant quick results" are what matter.

IDEA Fitness member
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, let's not do "you can live on ice cream lol" topics.

IIFYM means "if it fits your macros", meaning you did NOT go over on macros, but you still ate (in my example) three waffles with sugar-free syrup at 10:30 last night. I, however, was not over on my macros or calorie goal. In THIS example...

There you go.

I think it depends on the person. You say you don't feel well this morning, but the waffles fit into your macros. Well, maybe you can eat your waffles at another time of day and have a high-protein snack before bed. You still get to enjoy waffles, have them fit into your macros, and not reggo your eggos the next day. :happy:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    There's a substantial difference between IIFYM and "calories in/calories out." Seems a lot of people here are equating the two.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    This whole thread is subjective, and I don't think I am missing the point. I completely understand the body doesn't know the difference in terms of what you put it.. It processes what you put in regardless. Its up to you to use your mind and make right choices when making food choices. There is so much more that goes into that Big mac that is not included in your metrics that plays a row in the human body, these things need to be accounted for.

I understand that if you eat at a deficit you will loose weight.. Its all numbers and focusing purely on the numbers is not what gets you from 300lbs 170lbs..

By the numbers it works.. I can admit that, but it is totally inadvisable in my opinion..

Now to answer the whole what if they worked out int he morning... Since Johnny only at a cracker for dinner he wakes up ravenous eats the left over oreoes in his pantry works out and has a big mac again for lunch totally pushing his numbers to the max... Because he is REALLY hungry at dinner time he decides to forget this and gives up....... Poor johnny ..

Inadvisable for who?

I think it is inadvisable for the majority on here to be pushing this method to the masses at least to be more informed than some one who is 300 lbs and saying I eat what I want and still lose weight..

Take my back ground I have a BA in Computer science as well as a host of other certifications I wont go in to.. I am not going to go on to How to use windows for dummies forums and say YOU should be using Linux and give little information and move on.

Now if people came to me and said can you teach me how to begin to migrate away form windows to say "name your version of Linux" I would be happy to guide and help them ..

Same goes for you .. I stalked your profile ..

My profile is meant to be amusing. I do however know quite a bit about nutrition, dieting, and bodybuilding. I've read and researched A LOT and I actually READ studies upon studies regarding this very phenomenon. The system works. Granted there are some people that may have diabetes, women that have PCOS, or other medical conditions that they need "tweaking" but for the general public the method of IIFYM works.

And when people throw out "well you won't be healthy" debate. It shows that they really don't have a clue. Healthy is subjective. You could eat extremely clean and still die from a heart attack because of genetics, smoking, or other factors. Just because you eat vegetables and/or eat a plain chicken breast doesn't mean jack sh1t.

Also the point is, LOSING WEIGHT by BURNING FAT. That is the entire point of this thread. In that regard, IIFYM gets a gold star.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^^ Yes, this.

End thread.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Nope, I've always watched my sodium, and never even come close to reaching my daily sodium limit
    If you ate meals that weren't prepped by you, then how do you know how much sodium was actually in them?

IDEA Fitness member