"It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU EAT. IF YOU ARE IN A DEFICIT YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT VIA BURNING FAT. PERIOD.

^^ Read it until it sinks.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Acg67, you pose a very good question .. and honestly I am still in the process of wrapping my head around that ..

But I think its more than just numbers....

Lets take Johnny weight loss who still needs to drop 40 pounds.. However he decides to have a big mac for dinner and lets assume this big mac fits with in his metrics for the day all in cals, protein fat and carbs..

He eats it for lunch and goes back to work ..

Then you have sally who is also in the same position but ate the chicken and broccoli for lunch ..

At the end of the day Johnny and Sally both are going to work out after work today ..

Johnny who ate the big mac while in the nutritional information fits his daily metrics doesn't account for all the other crap that is in said burger and a whole bunch of names I can't pronounce leave him feeling sluggish and slow... he skips his work out.

While sally on the other hand has eaten lean protein low fat good carb rich food goes along in her day and has a good workout..

Further more Johnny has to eat a cracker for dinner because he would blow his metrics out other wise.. Sally enjoys more of the same for dinner ( yeah some satire there )

As I previously said yeah in the numbers they fit, but does that mean its good for your body over all ? Probably not.. could you presumably fit (generalizing here ) fast food in your diet weekly yes as long as it fits in the numbers... But I think what is being over looked in is a whole host of other factors that I am not smart enough toi really scratch the surface on but know enough to know they are present that play on the body and will effect you in the long run than some one who strictly ate clean .. But physically and mentally.

My advise is if you are where you want to be and have walked the path and are educated, you can make informed choices and eat ( again generalizing ) fast food and be able to move on with out to much issue.. However the majority of those on here that are trying to lose weight and are fighting that daily struggle I think is bad advice to give out..
    Not everyone who has a Big Mac feels like *kitten* after and won't work out. What if in your example, they both workout in the morning. Now where does that leave you?
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    While I agree that it can be a terrible way to eat health wise, I am proof you can lose weight eating whatever as long as it is in your limit. I lost 112lbs eating 1200 cal a day for a year and some of those days were very little food and lots of alcohol on party days, some of them were nothing but rice cakes, some had chocolate or bacon or "bad" foods, but I stayed in my calorie limit.

That being said, I also lost lots of my hair from malnutrition as I didn't get enough vitamins and I quickly regained 87lbs when I stopped being strict on my calories combined with a weight gain inducing medication.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Should we apply a bit of real life here and not all theory

My maintain is about 2750. I work out my calories carefully and precisely

If I eat well, chicken etc at those calories my weight stays the same but I look relatively toned and well

If I eat crap and buscuits I stay the same weight but I get a saggy gut and feel flabby.

A calorie is a calorie - but is you want to look good the macros have to be right

AND

Why do people constantly chose to miss the point on these posts ... Carry on eating rubbish if you don't want to maximise your potential... fine for you but if you are trying to achieve please don't listen
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options

At the end of the day if your cals and macros were the exact same, but one diet you had a cheese burger for dinner and the other you had chicken and veggies for dinner, what difference would there be in weight loss?

Do you think that you would feel the same overall from eating diet of cheeseburgers as you would if you only had chicken and veggies? Calories being equal?
    That's subjective. How someone feels depends on stimulus too. For instance I could eat the same exact food one day and train by myself, then another day instruct a class and feel more "amped" up. Why? Because it's a group training and I have to be "up" more to create motivation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Should we apply a bit of real life here and not all theory

My maintain is about 2750. I work out my calories carefully and precisely

If I eat well, chicken etc at those calories my weight stays the same but I look relatively toned and well

If I eat crap and buscuits I stay the same weight but I get a saggy gut and feel flabby.

A calorie is a calorie - but is you want to look good the macros have to be right

Ummm...what?
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU EAT. IF YOU ARE IN A DEFICIT YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT VIA BURNING FAT. PERIOD.

Not of optimal health.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Not of optimal health.

So what is "optimal health"? Eating carrots?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it definitely does matter. For my first 50 pounds lost, I ate the same every day, Weight Watchers meals, low cal noodles, etc. Then I suddenly stopped losing.. So this week I tried something different, fruit smoothies in the morning, homemade chicken and vegetable soup for lunch, chicken and a plate of veg for dinner, fruit smoothie in the evening, and plenty of water. I have lost over 5 pounds this week alone..
    So you either ate less, or worked out more to lose actual tissue weight. Or your sodium was probably reduced, which is what I'm assuming since you ate your meals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    This argument never gets solved.

For anyone looking to figure out the truth here's one thing you can try. Check out the stats of the people posting on each side of the argument. It's usually a good way to know who's full of S and who isn't. That's what I always do.
  • joejccva71
    Options

For anyone looking to figure out the truth here's one thing you can try. Check out the stats of the people posting on each side of the argument. It's usually a good way to know who's full of S and who isn't. That's what I always do.

Bah. These people won't F'ing listen.
  • BrettPGH
    Options

They really should. Listening to guys like you, Niner and ACG got me where I am.

And I got to eat ice cream!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a "if it fits your macros" kind of person.

If I'm getting several servings of fruit & veg, hitting reasonably close to my protein & fat goals, and still have room for a cupcake or a mojito... I'm going to have a cupcake or a mojito. Or a cupcake AND a mojito. :drinker:

My goals are 50% carb, 25% fat, 25% protein. So far this week, I'm at 48%, 26% and 26%.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    It's Not true for ME. If I stay within my macros and calories, but eat doritos as part of my carbs, as I don't lose weight. If I do it and eat brown rice instead, I generally do.

So, for me it does matter. For others it might not. Everyone is different.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think it works as long as what you are eating doesn't make you feel disgusting! I eat pretty much whatever I want in moderation, but occasionally a few things make me feel bloated or give me a stomach ache and if that's the case I will try to avoid them in the future.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Not of optimal health.

So what is "optimal health"? Eating carrots?

x-ray vision and the gift of flight, I thought that everyone knew that.

See what you miss out on when you don't eat 100% clean?
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options

IF that stats listed here told the whole story, that might work. If this site included the 80 lbs I lost before coming here. Just sayin'.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

They really should. Listening to guys like you, Niner and ACG got me where I am.

And I got to eat ice cream!

:drinker:

There is always room for ice cream in any diet
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is subjective, and I don't think I am missing the point. I completely understand the body doesn't know the difference in terms of what you put it.. It processes what you put in regardless. Its up to you to use your mind and make right choices when making food choices. There is so much more that goes into that Big mac that is not included in your metrics that plays a row in the human body, these things need to be accounted for.

I understand that if you eat at a deficit you will loose weight.. Its all numbers and focusing purely on the numbers is not what gets you from 300lbs 170lbs..

You have to look at the big picture... There is so much more than the numbers that goes in to be successful at weight loss and I think those who are fit and are looked at as examples for those who are trying to get fit are being irresponsible for condoning this method.

By the numbers it works.. I can admit that, but it is totally inadvisable in my opinion..

Now to answer the whole what if they worked out int he morning... Since Johnny only at a cracker for dinner he wakes up ravenous eats the left over oreoes in his pantry works out and has a big mac again for lunch totally pushing his numbers to the max... Because he is REALLY hungry at dinner time he decides to forget this and gives up....... Poor johnny ..
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    I'm a "if it fits your macros" kind of person.

If I'm getting several servings of fruit & veg, hitting reasonably close to my protein & fat goals, and still have room for a cupcake or a mojito... I'm going to have a cupcake or a mojito. Or a cupcake AND a mojito. :drinker:

My goals are 50% carb, 25% fat, 25% protein. So far this week, I'm at 48%, 26% and 26%.

^Another one with phenomenal results and solid advice for people. AND she eats half a pizza every week! :love: