"It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

At the end of the day if your cals and macros were the exact same, but one diet you had a cheese burger for dinner and the other you had chicken and veggies for dinner, what difference would there be in weight loss?

Do you think that you would feel the same overall from eating diet of cheeseburgers as you would if you only had chicken and veggies? Calories being equal?

Answer his question instead of going around it. It's not hard to read.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It TOTALLY matters what I eat, unfortunately :grumble: . I can cheat once in awhile, but if I were to eat junk food every day not only would I gain weight (partially from water retention because of sodium in chips) but my skin breaks out! UGH :mad:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Some people, yeah, some people, no. I can eat basically whatever I want and still lose weight, feel okay, etc, so long as it fits in my numbers.

My wife, however, feels bad if she eats processed meats or anything with oil in it, etc, regardless of if it fits or not.

So I think it's less about the numbers and more about your body's likes and dislikes.

If a person is unable to tolerate a food, has an allergy or a metabolic disorder, obviously, not everything fits. IIFYM and you are not allergic, not intolerant. Is that better?
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it definitely does matter. For my first 50 pounds lost, I ate the same every day, Weight Watchers meals, low cal noodles, etc. Then I suddenly stopped losing.. So this week I tried something different, fruit smoothies in the morning, homemade chicken and vegetable soup for lunch, chicken and a plate of veg for dinner, fruit smoothie in the evening, and plenty of water. I have lost over 5 pounds this week alone..
  • skinnymini_wannabe
    Options
    I think that it matters what you eat. If you eat mcdonald's everyday and are still under your calorie limit, you're going to gain weight form all the fats and preservatives. "You can't outrun a bad diet."
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think that it matters what you eat. If you eat mcdonald's everyday and are still under your calorie limit, you're going to gain weight form all the fats and preservatives. "You can't outrun a bad diet."

BINGO!!!
  • joejccva71
    Options

No you won't. You'll gain water weight but not fat. And you can gain water weight from any carb sources.

Please do some research.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

At the end of the day if your cals and macros were the exact same, but one diet you had a cheese burger for dinner and the other you had chicken and veggies for dinner, what difference would there be in weight loss?

Do you think that you would feel the same overall from eating diet of cheeseburgers as you would if you only had chicken and veggies? Calories being equal?

Calories and macros? Am I eating only cheeseburgers and only chicken and veggies, or am I also eating other foods?

Your pick.

I feel pretty awesome killing a 3/4 to 1 lb burger, same as if I eat a box of pasta or 10 danishes. You prob picked the wrong person to ask that question to
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

This is not IIFYM.

Reading is essential: http://www.iifym.com/pages/iifym---fad-diet-or-real
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Acg67, you pose a very good question .. and honestly I am still in the process of wrapping my head around that ..

But I think its more than just numbers....

Lets take Johnny weight loss who still needs to drop 40 pounds.. However he decides to have a big mac for dinner and lets assume this big mac fits with in his metrics for the day all in cals, protein fat and carbs..

He eats it for lunch and goes back to work ..

Then you have sally who is also in the same position but ate the chicken and broccoli for lunch ..

At the end of the day Johnny and Sally both are going to work out after work today ..

Johnny who ate the big mac while in the nutritional information fits his daily metrics doesn't account for all the other crap that is in said burger and a whole bunch of names I can't pronounce leave him feeling sluggish and slow... he skips his work out.

While sally on the other hand has eaten lean protein low fat good carb rich food goes along in her day and has a good workout..

Further more Johnny has to eat a cracker for dinner because he would blow his metrics out other wise.. Sally enjoys more of the same for dinner ( yeah some satire there )

As I previously said yeah in the numbers they fit, but does that mean its good for your body over all ? Probably not.. could you presumably fit (generalizing here ) fast food in your diet weekly yes as long as it fits in the numbers... But I think what is being over looked in is a whole host of other factors that I am not smart enough toi really scratch the surface on but know enough to know they are present that play on the body and will effect you in the long run than some one who strictly ate clean .. But physically and mentally.

My advise is if you are where you want to be and have walked the path and are educated, you can make informed choices and eat ( again generalizing ) fast food and be able to move on with out to much issue.. However the majority of those on here that are trying to lose weight and are fighting that daily struggle I think is bad advice to give out..
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    this doesn't work for me. i find that if i eat in the IIFYM style, i have a tendency to overeat and blow my macros. if i eat a lot of non-complex carbs (chips, white rice, pasta, cookies), i just end up wanting more and more and more. then it turns into a carb binge.

i'm much better off mentally and physically eating whole foods. i love me some doritos but one chip leads to a whole bag! so i try not to go there. even at the end of the day, when i have like 600 calories left, i still avoid the crappy junk food. but thank goodness i have an ice cream maker and make my own ice cream full of good stuff and indulge in that instead.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yes I know athletes can indulge more often than Johnny trying to lose 40 lbs.. In fact a good marathon runner friend of mine eats donuts like they are going out of style but he uses them for energy.. I would love to be in that position..

What I am saying is, I do not think it is feasible to eat lower nutrient food like say a big mac and fast food specifically as long as it fits in your macros and get the results you want out of weight loss..

If you are in the process of losing weight and you eat a cheese burger for dinner and it fits in your metrics for the day can you do it ? Sure .. But ultimately it will slow your results down as opposed to eating lean chicken breast and some steamed broccoli for the same meal time...

Not to mention as some one previously said the slope you will be walking on if you are trying to steer your life style on a more healthier path...

That being said if you have reached your goals in size, physically, and in performance you want out of your body you can be more prone to eat fast food lower nutrient dense food etc etc.. and be fine.. Just don't make a habit of it.

I love chicken and I love broccoli, but who the hell wants to eat the same thing every day?

No one and I don't but its an example.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Calories and macros? Am I eating only cheeseburgers and only chicken and veggies, or am I also eating other foods?

Your pick.

I feel pretty awesome killing a 3/4 to 1 lb burger, same as if I eat a box of pasta or 10 danishes. You prob picked the wrong person to ask that question to

Riiiight. LOL!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    Yes I know athletes can indulge more often than Johnny trying to lose 40 lbs.. In fact a good marathon runner friend of mine eats donuts like they are going out of style but he uses them for energy.. I would love to be in that position..

What I am saying is, I do not think it is feasible to eat lower nutrient food like say a big mac and fast food specifically as long as it fits in your macros and get the results you want out of weight loss..

If you are in the process of losing weight and you eat a cheese burger for dinner and it fits in your metrics for the day can you do it ? Sure .. But ultimately it will slow your results down as opposed to eating lean chicken breast and some steamed broccoli for the same meal time...

Not to mention as some one previously said the slope you will be walking on if you are trying to steer your life style on a more healthier path...

That being said if you have reached your goals in size, physically, and in performance you want out of your body you can be more prone to eat fast food lower nutrient dense food etc etc.. and be fine.. Just don't make a habit of it.
    I'll have to disagree here. I eat fast food at least 2 times a week as a full meal. The consistent thing is that on those days, I do have to burn a few more calories (I kickbox hard those days) to comp. Been doing this for years and my weight fluctuation stays within 5lbs-10lbs (when I'm not bulking/cutting).
    The body only knows how to absorb whatever it's supplied. Some there think that eating honey is better than eating a spoonful of sugar, but the body breaks that down and absorbs both EXACTLY the same way. It's the macro/micronutrient content that's different.
    If your food sources MEET your daily macros/micros, your body can't tell if you got it from a burger or organic meat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options

How do you not understand the difference between being healthy/feeling good, and weight loss?

Absolutely!

Are you following this thread?

The op feels gross after doing it the former way.
    Who cares what OP said? Did I quote you responding to OP?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/by_user/22300987

Are you just a troll or do you have difficulty with civilised discussion
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think that it matters what you eat. If you eat mcdonald's everyday and are still under your calorie limit, you're going to gain weight form all the fats and preservatives. "

BINGO!!!

LOL.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Acg67, you pose a very good question .. and honestly I am still in the process of wrapping my head around that ..

Lets take Johnny weight loss who still needs to drop 40 pounds.. However he decides to have a big mac for dinner and lets assume this big mac fits with in his metrics for the day all in cals, protein fat and carbs..

Then you have sally who is also in the same position but ate the chicken and broccoli for lunch ..

At the end of the day Johnny and Sally both are going to work out after work today ..

Johnny who ate the big mac while in the nutritional information fits his daily metrics doesn't account for all the other crap that is in said burger and a whole bunch of names I can't pronounce leave him feeling sluggish and slow... he skips his work out.

While sally on the other hand has eaten lean protein low fat good carb rich food goes along in her day and has a good workout..

Further more Johnny has to eat a cracker for dinner because he would blow his metrics out other wise.. Sally enjoys more of the same for dinner ( yeah some satire there )

As I previously said yeah in the numbers they fit, but does that mean its good for your body over all ? Probably not.. could you presumably fit (generalizing here ) fast food in your diet weekly yes as long as it fits in the numbers... But I think what is being over looked in is a whole host of other factors that I am not smart enough toi really scratch the surface on but know enough to know they are present that play on the body and will effect you in the long run than some one who strictly ate clean .. But physically and mentally.

My advise is if you are where you want to be and have walked the path and are educated, you can make informed choices and eat ( again generalizing ) fast food and be able to move on with out to much issue.. However the majority of those on here that are trying to lose weight and are fighting that daily struggle I think is bad advice to give out..

The most important part of a diet and for those trying to lose weight is adherence. If it helps someone stick to their diet by eating chocolate, ice cream, fast food on a daily or weekly basis, then go for it. Should they try to eat mostly whole, nutrient dense foods? Sure, but fitting in something they like to eat, isn't going to be overly detrimental.

And healthwise, you will find blood markers of health generally improve with weight loss regardless of composition of their diet
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I think it differs slightly for everyone. I lose best and feel best if I exrcise between dinner and bedtime, with no snacking after exercize (unless I am dizzy-famished).

If I only 'eat less' I don't seem to lose the weight like if I exercise too, even keeping the same deficit.

I also have to eat more often, the lots of small meals way. It works for me.

Too much dairy and breads just makes my gut feel heavy and me feel sluggish.

My philosophy is "Try it one way, if it doesn't work, try something different."
  • joejccva71
    Options

You are missing the point of the entire topic. The topic is about IIFYM which pertains to losing fat by eating anything you want and fitting the food into your daily calorie deficit and protein/fat macro consumption. Both of the above users in your story will both lose weight and burn fat if they are eating a deficit at the end of the day/week. Period.

Whether or not the person who ate chicken vs mcdonalds is healthier is subjective..plain and simple. There are too many other factors pertaining to health that need to be considered. Just because you eat McDonalds doesn't mean you are at risk of CVD and CHD.
  • Acg67
    Options

Your pick.

Riiiight. LOL!

Not lying, I don't notice any real difference in how I feel, if I eat a ton of "unclean' foods vs eating more "clean" foods. I eat a monster burger every week, and don't feel any different then when I eat a bunch of chicken and veggies