"It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

Options

Replies

• Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your macros, then it really shouldn't be a problem. Maybe if it fits in your calories but you have max exceeded your fats and sugars, then probably not healthy long term.

I'm not an expert in diet.

But like someone said, white flour and sugar and fat times three might make you feel gross. Doubt it'll keep you from losing weight in the long run unless you are eating at a caloric surplus.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Moderation and IIFYM worked very well for me.

Cutting out entire food groups and meals you enjoy just isn't sustainable. It's not something you'll do forever. So you're just on another diet.
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you'll probably loose weight but what about your health? Internal organs? Hair? Skin? Nails? Teeth? It's not just about losing weight it's about being healthy.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, let's not do "you can live on ice cream lol" topics.

IIFYM means "if it fits your macros", meaning you did NOT go over on macros, but you still ate (in my example) three waffles with sugar-free syrup at 10:30 last night. I, however, was not over on my macros or calorie goal. In THIS example...

There you go.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    weight is only one indicator of health. You can lose weight if you eat less calories no matter what type of calories they are but you will FEEL better if they come from whole clean food sources.

Its like filling up your tank with Premium unleaded gas instead of economy gas. Both with make your car go but the premuium will give your engine better performance.

Just my two cents. I know that I feel a lot better when I eat clean. Do I always manage it. NOPE. I keep trying though.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And for the record, I eat either waffles or pancakes every weekend. I used to eat about 4 in a meal, loaded with butter and syrup and pork sausages on the side. Now I only eat 3. (One serving) and I either make a syrup with fruits or I limit myself to one serving of syrup. And I only eat two links of sausage instead of four. To me, it is an AWESOME pre-workout meal, and it is exactly 1/3 of my daily calories.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Yea...ya'll don't know what IIFYM really mean
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    weight is only one indicator of health. You can lose weight if you eat less calories no matter what type of calories they are but you will FEEL better if they come from whole clean food sources.

Its like filling up your tank with Premium unleaded gas instead of economy gas. Both with make your car go but the premuium will give your engine better performance.

Just my two cents. I know that I feel a lot better when I eat clean. Do I always manage it. NOPE. I keep trying though.

Premium gasoline is a scam.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM.

I'm sensible in my choices, but I allow room for the things I enjoy like wine, cookies, etc. And I hit my macros quite nicely

IIFYM FTW!

I like the way you think!! This is pretty much what I do - IIFYM - Go for it!!! :happy:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think it's true. IIFYM has always worked perfectly for me.

Maybe three waffles all at once wasn't the best of ideas, but one waffle with real Vermont maple syrup sounds heavenly (and reasonably healthy, too)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think that's true in terms of weight loss. Calories in, calories out. But in terms of being healthier, the quality of food matters.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and feeling good are two different things.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

IIFYM means "if it fits your macros", meaning you did NOT go over on sugar, carbs, or what have you, but you still ate (in my example) three waffles with sugar-free syrup at 10:30 last night. I, however, was not over on my macros or calorie goal. In THIS example...

There you go.

I have noticed that when I eat waffles/pancakes (I don't usually have syrup because I don't really like it) I do tend to feel pretty yucky. There is something in the mixes that I don't react very well to. Maybe you have an intolerance to something in the waffles you ate last night and the discussion about 'good'/'bad' foods is not really applicable. Just a thought.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    That thought process leads to over eating ( empty carbs ) and fatness

I'm sorry but you wont see well conditioned athletes living off of ice cream as long as it fits with in their numbers..
    Do they have a bowl every now and then I am sure they do .. But they don't go from eating syrupy pancakes from ihop to mc donalds for lunch to nachos for dinner and be able to perform/look like they do .
    Actually you'd be surprised. If a competitive athlete trains for 5 hours a day for their sport, and another hour or so with strength training or endurance training of some type, they CAN'T have their stomach full (really no one can when intensely training). So if their intake was say 8,000 calories a day (not unusual) they would have to be eating ALL throughout the day if just eating "clean" foods and realistically that's not happening. Foods that are less dense but contain high calories suffices so they don't go around all day stuffed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think you guys are confused about the true nature of IIFYM...it's not about eating a bunch a crap that fits your calories. You must have a macro setting that is optimal for your goal body composition.

For me it's 30c/40f/40p.

I hit my goals and still enjoy ice cream, cookies, and wine....in CORRECT portion sizes.

Don't confuse IIFYM with eating whatever you want that fits your calories.

Yeah, I think these people don't know what "fitting your macros" means. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

IIFYM means "if it fits your macros", meaning you did NOT go over on sugar, carbs, or what have you, but you still ate (in my example) three waffles with sugar-free syrup at 10:30 last night. I, however, was not over on my macros or calorie goal. In THIS example...

There you go.

I have noticed that when I eat waffles/pancakes (I don't usually have syrup because I don't really like it) I do tend to feel pretty yucky. There is something in the mixes that I don't react very well to. Maybe you have an intolerance to something in the waffles you ate last night and the discussion about 'good'/'bad' foods is not really applicable. Just a thought.

Maybe the problem is using "mixes" instead of making them from scratch! :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think that's true in terms of weight loss. Calories in, calories out. But in terms of being healthier, the quality of food matters.

Hence, the need to "hit your macros!" :bigsmile:
  • annie660
    annie660 Posts: 14
    Options
    I do think that it does matter what type of food you eat. A body needs healthy, nutritious food.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options