"It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

What food contains 75 grams of protein and only has 300 calories?

egg whites, protein powder

Protein powder isn't food,and egg whites are only half a food, so they don't count in my book.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yes you will still lose weight! But....you may not get all of the nutrients you need. I feel that you can eat a lot more of healthy foods than you can the unhealthy ones. I believe it is best to eat as "clean" as possible on most days. But every once in a while it is okay to eat something not so healthy! Something you really want! :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of people who are using flexible dieting correctly, are consuming a very nutrient rich diet.

The nutrient argument doesn't apply because people who eat a diet full of junk food are not practicing IIFYM, they are practicing stupidity. There's a difference, but for some unknown reason people can't seem to grasp that there's a middle ground that lies between clean eating dogma and "McDonalds all day every day".

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149278603 <---- post #7 for some good vids.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What? Syrup? Nutrients? You ate non-complex carbs x 3. Of course you'll feel gross, sluggish, brain-foggy. It's the waffle, not the syrup, I can almost guarantee.
    Sure, other than the fact that waffles are complex carbs... It always amuses me when people use terms without having a clue what they actually mean.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    no don't think so.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think it is psychological. But honestly... did you eat all three waffles at once? That much food will make anybody sick whether you are eating waffles or celery sticks.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    What? Syrup? Nutrients? You ate non-complex carbs x 3. Of course you'll feel gross, sluggish, brain-foggy. It's the waffle, not the syrup, I can almost guarantee.
    Sure, other than the fact that waffles are complex carbs... It always amuses me when people use terms without having a clue what they actually mean.

I am so glad you said that... I thought I knew what a simple and complex carb was until I started using this site and then I got all confused.

Just to clarify... a complex carb is one that has been combined with other ingredients, right? And the simple carb is the singular ingredient like rice and potatoes, right?
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Most days I eat close to 2000 calories a day, even on days I dont work out. So no not all calories are the same. Out of that 2000 calories most of it is through protein.
  • courtneylee31
    Options

agree!
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm so feeling this morning. I ate horrible food yesterday but stayed in my "goal" range. I got pats on the back up and down my page for staying in my calories but I feel awful. Physically and emotionally! All those empty carbs just set me up for failure and cravings for next day :( don't get me wrong love carbs but usually make better choices.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002469.htm

Carbohydrates are classified as simple or complex. The classification depends on the chemical structure of the food, and how quickly the sugar is digested and absorbed. Simple carbohydrates have one (single) or two (double) sugars. Complex carbohydrates have three or more sugars.

Examples of single sugars from foods include:

Fructose (found in fruits)
    Galactose (found in milk products)

Double sugars include:

Lactose (found in dairy)
    Maltose (found in certain vegetables and in beer)
    Sucrose (table sugar)

Honey is also a double sugar. But unlike table sugar, it contains a small amount of vitamins and minerals. (Note: Honey should not be given to children younger than 1 year old.)

Complex carbohydrates, often referred to as "starchy" foods, include:

Legumes
    Starchy vegetables
    Whole-grain breads and cereals

Simple carbohydrates that contain vitamins and minerals occur naturally in:

Fruits
    Milk and milk products
    Vegetables

Simple carbohydrates are also found in processed and refined sugars such as:

Candy
    Regular (nondiet) carbonated beverages, such as soda
    Syrups
    Table sugar

Refined sugars provide calories, but lack vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Such simple sugars are often called "empty calories" and can lead to weight gain.

Also, many refined foods, such as white flour, sugar, and white rice, lack B vitamins and other important nutrients unless they are marked "enriched." It is healthiest to get carbohydrates, vitamins, and other nutrients in as natural a form as possible -- for example, from fruit instead of table sugar.
  • courtneylee31
    Options

Protein powder isn't food,and egg whites are only half a food, so they don't count in my book.

It still has calories / protein in it, so it should still be counted. And egg whites are still food too. If people just keep saying some things "just dont count" wed all be over weight.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of people who are using flexible dieting correctly, are consuming a very nutrient rich diet.

The nutrient argument doesn't apply because people who eat a diet full of junk food are not practicing IIFYM, they are practicing stupidity. There's a difference, but for some unknown reason people can't seem to grasp that there's a middle ground that lies between clean eating dogma and "McDonalds all day every day".

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149278603 <---- post #7 for some good vids.

Considering myself lucky to be one of the people in the "middle" - I know that I can eat healthy & eat junk - at the same time. It's not one or the other. Like someone else already said - I don't think you realize what IIFYM really means.

And yes, I used to be pretty fat. And I'm still sort of fat. And I eat pizza, ice cream, pasta, etc. I have 2 mini cupcakes sitting on my desk right now - just waiting for me to enjoy them. But I also had a egg & veggie breakfast burrito, will be having bean and veggie stew for lunch, I'm eating strawberries and a banana as my other snacks today, and I will be having steak fajitas (with lots of peppers!) for dinner. So how is my diet not balanced?
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Bumping for pure amusement...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because you ate three of them instead of one or two. That might have less to do with the food quality and more to do with your taste buds. Lots o' sugar.

When you try to make everything fit in your macros, your diet is going to be pretty balanced. And honestly, I think that as long as it fits into your calorie limit, regardless of macros, you'll lose weight. You'll certainly feel better if you don't eat 1500 calories of chips instead of a balanced diet, though.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    duh.jpg
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

What??? You mean my only 2 choices aren't junk food or to eat "clean"???? Why that..............that just..............

makes sense acutally.

Extreme comparisons are ridiculous. If that is how you view it and you don't apply a little common sense it is nothing but stupidity.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Maybe the waffles she ate were.....blue?
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Maybe the waffles she ate were.....blue?

This comment goes very well with your picture... (looks like you took it after you just finished typing it)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think it is psychological. But honestly... did you eat all three waffles at once? That much food will make anybody sick whether you are eating waffles or celery sticks.

That's not true. Before MFP, I usually ate 4-5 waffles loaded with butter and syrup. Now I eat 3 and 1/4 cup of syrup and just a pat of butter on top. Three waffles is NOT very much actually.