"It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    I think it's true.

I lost 30lbs eating pizza, chips, pop, candy, etc. But I made sure my calories were always spot on.

But after I lost the first 30lbs I decided I wanted to try to do this the healthy way and now my weight loss has stalled. ): BOOOO

That's not what "If It Fits In Your Macros" means. IIFIYM means that you hit your nutrient goals (% carbs, fat, protein, etc.) and stay within your calorie goal. This pretty much guarantees that you're eating a balanced diet.

I'm reading with one eye closed. Thanks for the clarification. :)
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    As for If It Fits Your Macros - in what way does THREE Waffles plus syrup (?maple, golden, corn - whatever) fit within a daily carbohydrate control regime?

Three waffles and 1/4 cup of syrup is only half of my daily carbs. How low are your carbs that you can't fit in a waffle breakfast from time to time?

And also close to half of your daily intake of sodium. Why would you want to cram all that into ONE meal?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    As for If It Fits Your Macros - in what way does THREE Waffles plus syrup (?maple, golden, corn - whatever) fit within a daily carbohydrate control regime?

Three waffles and 1/4 cup of syrup is only half of my daily carbs. How low are your carbs that you can't fit in a waffle breakfast from time to time?

And also close to half of your daily intake of sodium. Why would you want to cram all that into ONE meal?

Oh noes sodium!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    It works really well for me, mostly because it's hard to hit my macro and calorie numbers and still eat like ****. If I want to get my protein in and stay under my calorie goal, then I pretty much HAVE to eat healthy.

Correct! At least to a large degree or your won't hit your targets. But if you've eaten well and hit targets all day long and you got room for some Ice Cream and still hit tital calories and your carb goal, why not?? Even Mark Sisson the Primal guy who is all about eating cleand lower carb an uses the "80% healthy/ 20% whatever makes you feel good" rule!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I think it depends on where you are on your journey. When I had a lot to lose it just mattered calories....not macros....but when I got down to "vanity" pounds I had to really clean up my eating or I saw no progress.
    Again....the acronym "IIFYM" stands for "If it fits your MACROS" - not "If it fits your calorie goals". "Fitting your macros" means targeting your intake to meet your protein, fat and carbohydrate goals.

There are still many, many people in this thread who don't get the point and/or exhibit "all or nothing" thinking. IIFYM doesn't mean you gorge your guts on cheeseburgers, fried chicken, waffles, candy and ice cream every day. It means you allow yourself moderate quantities of things you want (which don't necessarily meet an orthorexic's standard of "clean eating") while still making sure that you hit your macronutrient goals.

IIFYM is a far healthier concept than many of the extreme/hypocaloric diets people adhere to and advocate around here. If you want to talk about unhealthy habits and poor nutrition, let's talk about starving yourself on 800 calories while working out 3 hours a day. There's no way those people are getting adequate nutrition or hitting any sane macro goals.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member

Oh noes sodium!

Uh oh... here we go...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I think it depends on where you are on your journey. When I had a lot to lose it just mattered calories....not macros....but when I got down to "vanity" pounds I had to really clean up my eating or I saw no progress.
    Again....the acronym "IIFYM" stands for "If it fits your MACROS" - not "If it fits your calorie goals". "Fitting your macros" means targeting your intake to meet your protein, fat and carbohydrate goals.

There are still many, many people in this thread who don't get the point and/or exhibit "all or nothing" thinking. IIFYM doesn't mean you gorge your guts on cheeseburgers, fried chicken, waffles, candy and ice cream every day. It means you allow yourself moderate quantities of things you want (which don't necessarily meet an orthorexic's standard of "clean eating") while still making sure that you hit your macronutrient goals.

IIFYM is a far healthier concept than many of the extreme/hypocaloric diets people adhere to and advocate around here. If you want to talk about unhealthy habits and poor nutrition, let's talk about starving yourself on 800 calories while working out 3 hours a day. There's no way those people are getting adequate nutrition or hitting any sane macro goals.

THANK YOU!!!!!

And I also want to add that *one* bad day - where you do eat nothing but junk and hit none of your macros - every once in awhile won't hurt either. *One* bad day did not make you fat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    THANK YOU!!!!!

And I also want to add that *one* bad day - where you do eat nothing but junk and hit none of your macros - every once in awhile won't hurt either. *One* bad day did not make you fat.
    Obviously at least some of us "get it". :flowerforyou:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member

Because it's delicious...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Can I get an AMEN!! :wink:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Somewhat fitting in the context of this thread as it defintiely applies to the IIFYM school of thought....

Does anyone know if any company makes a protein enriched ice cream? I can never find one at the grocer, the best bet is usually the low cal stuff which tends to have a better protein:calorie ratio than normal ice cream.

If not there is seriously a market niche there waiting to be exploited. High protein "treats" are slowly but surely picking up steam, expecially what amount to high protein candy bars. Ice cream would seem to lend itself quite well to protein enrichement, being a dairy product.

^ Arctic Zero is a whey based ice cream I believe. However, it's quite expensive and I've found that with a high speed mixer, you can make your own whey ice cream (no ice cream maker needed, just a freezer) and you can then control the ingredients. I've made a few very delicious batches of apple pie flavored and pumpkin flavored, and they taste great and have incredible macros.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

Can I get an AMEN!! :wink:

AMEN!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I think it varies slightly from person to person. I know I lose weight more quickly and easily if my calorie deficit is also from exercise not just from consuming less/meeting macros

Certain foods make me tired and blah, so I am more prone to be lazy. That's doesn't help my body composition, either.

But meeting my macros is much better than just a caloric deficit of any foods.
  • 3foldchord
    And I agree with the title/thread being a bit "confusing " it does matter what you if you want food to fit your macros. Just eating at or under your calorie goal doesn't mean you got your macros in balance.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    but if the default MFP macros tell you you are eating too much protein, are you really going to take any notice?
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Anyway, if someone wants to eat waffles and some undisclosed variety of syrup and it doesn't make them ill then why not let them get on with it - we could publish it, let's call it "The Marie Antoinette Diet".

If, on the other hand, it makes you feel wretched then it probably is because it screwed up your endocrine system and, on the whole, it might be just as well to give it a miss in future.

Next please... !
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Somewhat fitting in the context of this thread as it defintiely applies to the IIFYM school of thought....

Does anyone know if any company makes a protein enriched ice cream? I can never find one at the grocer, the best bet is usually the low cal stuff which tends to have a better protein:calorie ratio than normal ice cream.

If not there is seriously a market niche there waiting to be exploited. High protein "treats" are slowly but surely picking up steam, expecially what amount to high protein candy bars. Ice cream would seem to lend itself quite well to protein enrichement, being a dairy product.

^ Arctic Zero is a whey based ice cream I believe. However, it's quite expensive and I've found that with a high speed mixer, you can make your own whey ice cream (no ice cream maker needed, just a freezer) and you can then control the ingredients. I've made a few very delicious batches of apple pie flavored and pumpkin flavored, and they taste great and have incredible macros.

Thanks.

This is defintiely something worth experimenting with.

High protein ice cream = winning.

It is to IIFYM as bacon is to Paleo.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Thanks.

I would recommend making your own for both taste/macro control AND price.

Example -- use a kitchen aid mixer/high speed mixer with a big-*kitten* bowl.

200-300g frozen mixed berries
    1 to 1.5c whole milk
    5-6 tbsp splenda
    5-6 scoops whey protein (vanilla)
    1tsp Guar gum (optional but this really helps)

Start it on low until the berries smooth out then turn it full tilt and let it go for a good 6-8 minutes. It will get very big, just like protein fluff would, only the texture will be a bit thicker. The above should make 3 to 6 servings. Freeze in ~3 containers.

Important:
    When you go to eat it, microwave it for about 15 to 25 seconds first. This will get the texture close to ice cream. IF you don't do this it will be like eating a big frozen nerf football.

Above recipe is an estimate but it should be very close and you can fine tune it.

EDIT: The above is also a very good template for making your own. You need whey and a frozen component. I've tried various fruits, berries, applesauce (awesome) and pumpkin (awesome). Add milk to get the texture correct, add Guar to thicken it, splenda or sugar, and then spices if you prefer (I spice the crap out of the apple/pumpkin ones to make them like pie).
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member

Thanks.

I would recommend making your own for both taste/macro control AND price.

Example -- use a kitchen aid mixer/high speed mixer with a big-*kitten* bowl.

200-300g frozen mixed berries
    1 to 1.5c whole milk
    5-6 tbsp splenda
    5-6 scoops whey protein (vanilla)
    1tsp Guar gum (optional but this really helps)

Start it on low until the berries smooth out then turn it full tilt and let it go for a good 6-8 minutes. It will get very big, just like protein fluff would, only the texture will be a bit thicker. The above should make 3 to 6 servings. Freeze in ~3 containers.

Important:
    When you go to eat it, microwave it for about 15 to 25 seconds first. This will get the texture close to ice cream. IF you don't do this it will be like eating a big frozen nerf football.

Above recipe is an estimate but it should be very close and you can fine tune it.

EDIT: The above is also a very good template for making your own. You need whey and a frozen component. I've tried various fruits, berries, applesauce (awesome) and pumpkin (awesome). Add milk to get the texture correct, add Guar to thicken it, splenda or sugar, and then spices if you prefer (I spice the crap out of the apple/pumpkin ones to make them like pie).

2 Q's:

Would a blender work? Perhaps with a halved recipe?

Would an ice cream maker help the frozen texture, or is that a byproduct of the whey?
  • 3foldchord
    but if the default MFP macros tell you you are eating too much protein, are you really going to take any notice?
    I changed my macros. If someone is concerned about macros, they should research and find what goos percentages are for their macros to be set.