"It doesn't matter what you eat, IIFYM."

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Would a blender work? Perhaps with a halved recipe?

Would an ice cream maker help the frozen texture, or is that a byproduct of the whey?

1) I don't think a blender would be able to whip the ingredients aggressively enough to cause them to fluff up/volumize correctly. But, I'm speculating. Never tried it.

I WILL say this, if you have the spare cash to go buy a nice kitchen-aid mixer, you will be glad you did when you've got a freezer stuffed full of protein ice cream of different flavors and hitting your macros like a boss while eating ice cream :)

Srs though, it's really good stuff. And there's also fluff which is a slightly different recipe that makes you full after about 5 bites, great for satiety.

2) I will let you know soon on that one. I just bought an ice cream maker attachment for my mixer.
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bumping for pro-ice-cream recipe!
  • mitsando88
    Options
    Some of the people in this thread amaze me with their thought process.

It shouldn't even be an argument whether IIFYM works or not, because it just does and is backed up by science and nutrition experts. Eating 'junk food' or eating 'clean', as long as IIFYM it will have the same affect on your body fat composition.. I'm not sayng that eating clean won't make you feel better but in regards to fat loss it will be the same.

Natural professional bodybuilders and other athletes have been known to use this approach to dieting and have reached 4-5% bodyfat, so there is no reason why it won't work for the general public.

All you need is dedication and willpower to track your diet and make sure you aren't going over your macros and calories for the day.

Also most people shouldn't be following the suggested MFP macros, but rather customise their own with higher protein intakes especially if you want to preserve muscle mass.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    So, who sets the macros?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So, who sets the macros?

Generally speaking I would recommend that people do not follow MFP's macro recommendations.

I personally set my own (incuding setting my own TDEE) based on my understanding of my needs.

Mine are generally:

1g/lb LBM protein MINIMUM
    .35g/lb bodyweight in fat MINIMUM
    remainder in CHO but I will regularly exceed the above values which reduces CHO.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    As for If It Fits Your Macros - in what way does THREE Waffles plus syrup (?maple, golden, corn - whatever) fit within a daily carbohydrate control regime?

Three waffles and 1/4 cup of syrup is only half of my daily carbs. How low are your carbs that you can't fit in a waffle breakfast from time to time?

And also close to half of your daily intake of sodium. Why would you want to cram all that into ONE meal?

I don't track sodium. I track protein, fats, and carbs.

And how the hell can it have half the day's sodium if I don't add any salt to the batter?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think it depends on where you are on your journey. When I had a lot to lose it just mattered calories....not macros....but when I got down to "vanity" pounds I had to really clean up my eating or I saw no progress.
    Again....the acronym "IIFYM" stands for "If it fits your MACROS" - not "If it fits your calorie goals". "Fitting your macros" means targeting your intake to meet your protein, fat and carbohydrate goals.

There are still many, many people in this thread who don't get the point and/or exhibit "all or nothing" thinking. IIFYM doesn't mean you gorge your guts on cheeseburgers, fried chicken, waffles, candy and ice cream every day. It means you allow yourself moderate quantities of things you want (which don't necessarily meet an orthorexic's standard of "clean eating") while still making sure that you hit your macronutrient goals.

IIFYM is a far healthier concept than many of the extreme/hypocaloric diets people adhere to and advocate around here. If you want to talk about unhealthy habits and poor nutrition, let's talk about starving yourself on 800 calories while working out 3 hours a day. There's no way those people are getting adequate nutrition or hitting any sane macro goals.

Can I get an AMEN!! :wink:

Amen!

Preach it! People keep running around pretending that carbohydrates are *not* a macro-nutrient, acting like they don't understand what they are even tracking, like all they are tracking is calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think it varies slightly from person to person. I know I lose weight more quickly and easily if my calorie deficit is also from exercise not just from consuming less/meeting macros

Certain foods make me tired and blah, so I am more prone to be lazy. That's doesn't help my body composition, either.

But meeting my macros is much better than just a caloric deficit of any foods.

Lack of carbohydrates does that to me!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    but if the default MFP macros tell you you are eating too much protein, are you really going to take any notice?

I pray that MFP members figure out how to change that! :laugh:

I figured it out the first week.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Would a blender work? Perhaps with a halved recipe?

Would an ice cream maker help the frozen texture, or is that a byproduct of the whey?

1) I don't think a blender would be able to whip the ingredients aggressively enough to cause them to fluff up/volumize correctly. But, I'm speculating. Never tried it.

I WILL say this, if you have the spare cash to go buy a nice kitchen-aid mixer, you will be glad you did when you've got a freezer stuffed full of protein ice cream of different flavors and hitting your macros like a boss while eating ice cream :)

Srs though, it's really good stuff. And there's also fluff which is a slightly different recipe that makes you full after about 5 bites, great for satiety.

2) I will let you know soon on that one. I just bought an ice cream maker attachment for my mixer.

My two cents: I have actually used a stand mixer to make "freezer" ice cream without a standard ice cream freezer. Yes, it can work, but you have to check on it halfway through, and mix it through again before it completely hardens. And it takes all day doing it like that. It's doable, but an ice cream freezer is around $20.
  • oddbotts
    oddbotts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The macros you have given add up to 110%???
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.

Nothing should be too extreme one way or the other. If I go too nuts and only eat fresh or limit in that sense then I get burnt out on it after a while, just like if I go nuts and eat TOO many goodies (pizza, chips, cookies, etc)

Balance is nice, and I am working through this to get there more.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I think you guys are confused about the true nature of IIFYM...it's not about eating a bunch a crap that fits your calories. You must have a macro setting that is optimal for your goal body composition.

For me it's 30c/40f/40p.

I hit my goals and still enjoy ice cream, cookies, and wine....in CORRECT portion sizes.

Don't confuse IIFYM with eating whatever you want that fits your calories.

^^^This

Been doing this for 9+ years with success!
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I eat around 3,000 calories per day, sometimes more on extra tough workout days and less on rest days.

I go out every Saturday with my wife and we have a greasy hamburger and onion rings, or maybe some pizza, lasagna or other fast (or "unhealthy" food).

Sometimes during the week I am unable to pack a lunch so I go to the cafeteria and have a turkey burger with provolone and onion rings.

I have peanut butter pie at home I made.

I eat a protein shake mixed with Cracklin' Oat Bran, peanut butter and almonds almost daily.

I eat chocolate chip cookies.

I eat Cheetos.

I eat Doritos.

I eat pork egg rolls.

And I have lost 46 pounds and feel amazing. I strength train and do cardio. I don't feel sluggish or tired or anything. Why? Because I try to meet my macros and stay under my calories and not worry about the rest. I don't scold myself for not having a vegetable with dinner last night. Those chicken chimichangas I made were delicious. I had 2.

I eat some meals healthy, I work on making my macros and staying where I need to be with my calories. And you can pry the cookies, hamburgers, pizza and other "bad" food from my cold dead fingers when I am in my 90s and die of natural causes.

**Moderation**
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person to be honest. For me I feel better and make better progress when I eat healthy. I don't like feeling like **** so I eat healthy 95% of the time but I do have my cheat days.
  • Laac68
    Laac68 Posts: 55
    Options
    "If doesn't matter what you eat, as long as it fits your macros, is in your calorie limit, etc". (and assuming you are getting your nutrients somehow) -- You will still lose weight.

Do you think this is true?

Although I was within my caloric range and preset macros, I feel disgusting after three waffles last night. Is this a product of the syrup not digesting well, a lack of nutrients, or the subconscious notion that bad food makes you fat, no matter how little of it you eat?

Just wanted to know your opinions on this idea as I hear it a lot around the boards.

It does matter what I eat. I try and make it a goal to eat healthy and balanced meals. For example, a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast just doesn't cut it. I need at least an egg and some fruit along with it. If I go throughout the day eating carbs, then I don't feel my best. I am learning as I go but it's not true for me that I can eat whatever within my caloric range.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I think IIFIYMers put a lot of effort into making it seem like a junk food party all the time.
    The reality is, especially for those who have smaller caloric needs, it's not necessarily a picnic learning to balance your macros AND your wants.

For instance, you can look at my diary from yesterday. My TDEE-20 is ~ 1400 calories. Not all that much, but all the talk about the nastiness that is McDonalds had me craving Whataburger. So I had it. I had to get the same size meal as my 10 year old boy, but I got it. And an apple pie. And because I planned properly I was still under my calories. So theoretically it'll still help me on my weight loss journey.

But my macros were totally out of whack. About. 40% fat, 40% carbs, and 20% protein. So it actually wasn't the best day ,and I should have skipped the fries and apple pie. But man, was it good.

Point being...it's not necessarily as cavalier as it may seem.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    If I ate waffles and syrup (or any sugary carb heavy foods) before bed I am usually sick to my stomach the next day. I love waffles for breakfast though.

I believe in IIFYM. I don't log anymore ( transitioned into intuitive eating ), but fitting my macros is how I lost weight and improved my health. I save 300 bucks a month because I no longer have to take any prescription meds! I notice a lot of people on here don't really grasp the concept of IIFYM (even though it is repeatedly explained in detail every day). If I fit my macros, my diet is pretty clean with a little (sometimes very little) junk thrown in here and there, nowhere near junk food all the time.