I GAVE Up PASTA... should I give up dairy too

Options

Replies

• korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spaghetti squash? I am totally addicted to it! I usually go through 2 squash a week by myself. Like you I love pasta and this is a great alternative. Plus 2 cups is only 84 calories!!

LOVE SPAGHETTI SQUASH!!!!!! I too gave up pasta after much experimenting with it I found if I don't eat it I don't miss it and I hate the day after bloat it gives me. Spaghetti squash made this possible for me man I love that stuff!
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've read several studies that say you are incorrect in saying "most are not", and in fact, most are (up to 85%). A lot of people are only mildly affected, and therefore don't recognize that the wheat/gluten is having a negative affect on them...like a slow poisoning.

I thought that 85% stat was the number of undiagnosed cases out of everyone that has Celiacs rather than the population in general. Source please?

I don't have it at my finger tips (I read this about a year ago), but if I come across it again, I'll send it your way.

You don't have that one at your finger tips, but what about one of the others, since there are, in your words, several such studies.

LOL. I'm not here to be your encyclopedia. If you want to read the study for yourself, by all means, google is at your disposal. I told you what I read; feel free to find the studies, evidence or even contradicting evidence yourself if you want to read it in full detail (I'm not writing a term paper here).
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    No pasta and dairy = a life not worth living.

Amen.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Cheese is loaded with fat. Milk to me is just disgusting now. I used to drink a lot of it, but since being enlightened about the dairy industry I cannot drink it anymore. It's loaded with hormones, antibiotics, pus, and fecal matter. Yes, it is pasteurized, but it is still just disgusting to me. After a human is weaned there is no need or place for milk in their diet. That's what weaning is - transitioning from a milk-based diet to a food-based diet. Cow's milk is only designed to nourish calves until they're able to graze - not humans. The "Got milk?" slogan should be changed to "Got obesity and diabetes?" It has no place in the human diet. Keep reading and learning - you may make a decision on this for reasons greater that giving up dairy as a weight loss tool.

^
    ^
    ^
    this
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I gave up pasta a couple of weeks ago. I have been substituting cauliflower and zucchini. I can honestly say I really don't miss it. It's just filler after all. I am now considering the whole dairy option. I don't include a lot of dairy in my diet anyhow.... but I do like cheese. Is this another step I should take and are there things that I can substitute for the inevitable craving?

If you decide to cut out dairy remember it is in tons of places besides the common cheese, milk and yogurt. Donuts, pudding, baked goods, chocolate bars, biscuits, whipped cream, fast food...the list goes on. Are you really willing to give up all those things? Just stopping eat cheese is not giving up dairy. It goes way beyond that.

But honestly unless you can't control yourself or you have an intolerance or your morally against it, there is no reason to give up an entire foood group.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I drank milk until I had my son, then I nursed him, then I went back to work and I had to pump....I felt like a cow strapped to a machine. This made me think they only have milk to feed their young and I am drinking another mammals mammary juice which made me ill. Long story short I can not stomach milk any more. I limit my cheese intake and try not to think about it being curdle mammary juice.
    I did not start off my diet with no pasta I tried moderation with it. I found that after eating it I had bloat issues. I would retain a silly amount of water weight after eating just one cup. I discovered spaghetti squash and actually enjoy it more than actual pasta. I even like the flavor better. I do miss the occasional mac n cheese tho.....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I've read several studies that say you are incorrect in saying "most are not", and in fact, most are (up to 85%). A lot of people are only mildly affected, and therefore don't recognize that the wheat/gluten is having a negative affect on them...like a slow poisoning.

I thought that 85% stat was the number of undiagnosed cases out of everyone that has Celiacs rather than the population in general. Source please?

I don't have it at my finger tips (I read this about a year ago), but if I come across it again, I'll send it your way.

You are spouting opinion based on your bias. Back it up or back off. 85% LOL!
  • TheGlen
    Options

LOL. Right, because I'm unwilling to waste my time finding the data for you from a year ago, I'm "spouting opinion based on bias". If you have the time, in regards to disagreeing, please "back it up" by showing us data that says it's not 85%.
  • mmapags
    Options

LOL. Right, because I'm unwilling to waste my time finding the data for you from a year ago, I'm "spouting opinion based on bias". If you have the time, in regards to disagreeing, please "back it up" by showing us data that says it's not 85%.

You are confused about how it works. You posited the theory saying "I've read several studies that say you are incorrect in saying "most are not", and in fact, most are (up to 85%)." You get to prove it or identify it as merely your opinion. I never made a statement saying studies indicate any number.

Put up or shut up. Simple really. Or admit you don't have the data or are grinding your own agenda. Either way isfine with me.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

You are confused about how it works. You posited the theory saying "I've read several studies that say you are incorrect in saying "most are not", and in fact, most are (up to 85%)." You get to prove it or identify it as merely your opinion. I never made a statement saying studies indicate any number.

Put up or shut up. Simple really. Or admit you don't have the data or are grinding your own agenda. Either way isfine with me.
    [/quote

I'll bite.....

Dr. Fasano, director of the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research, published the first study looking at the molecular basis for gluten sensitivity and how it differs from celiac disease. He also participated in the research concluding that celiac disease incidence is one in every 133 people.

According to Dr. Fasano, gluten sensitivity potentially affects far more people than celiac disease. He estimates about 6% to 7% of the U.S. population may be gluten-sensitive, meaning some 20 million people in the United States alone could have the condition"

I think this means most don't.
  • TheGlen
    Options

Thanks for your opinion, but many people would disagree with you on this one (perhaps you might find "Wheat Belly" an interesting read). I would argue that my digestive tract is working normally, now that it's not being aggravated by wheat/gluten. I suggest to everyone that is trying to be healthier to give it a shot and see how your body responds.

I have. Made absolutely no difference. Some are sensitive to gluten, most are not.

"Most are not"; please provide data sources showing >50% of people do not have a sensitivity to gluten.

*** Addition ***

Looks like someone did it for you. That one study contradicts what I've read. If I cared enough to try to sway you, I'd try to find everything I've read over the past year or so...but I don't. You can take my word for what I've read, or you can disagree; I won't lose sleep over it.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Thanks for your opinion, but many people would disagree with you on this one (perhaps you might find "Wheat Belly" an interesting read). I would argue that my digestive tract is working normally, now that it's not being aggravated by wheat/gluten. I suggest to everyone that is trying to be healthier to give it a shot and see how your body responds.

I have. Made absolutely no difference. Some are sensitive to gluten, most are not.

"Most are not"; please provide data sources showing >50% of people do not have a sensitivity to gluten.

See above.
    From the same article

At the moment, these potential percentages of people who may have gluten sensitivity represent pure speculation on the part of these physicians and researchers — the studies simply haven't been done to prove whether they're accurate or far-fetched.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    gluten, pasta, sugar, aspartame, beer, water. we're all gonna die.

LIVE LIFE.

edited because I forgot to say "Blah. blah blah blah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".
  • mmapags
    Options

Nice try pal. So in other words, you can't back up what you said. So noted. BTW, It is clear that what I stated above is clearly my opinion based on my anecdotal experience. Way to try to skate on the fact that you made a claim regarding "studies" that you can't back up.
  • mmapags
    Options

See above.
    From the same article

At the moment, these potential percentages of people who may have gluten sensitivity represent pure speculation on the part of these physicians and researchers — the studies simply haven't been done to prove whether they're accurate or far-fetched.

Thank you for an accurate and honest opinion.
  • mmapags
    Options

*** Addition ***

Looks like someone did it for you. That one study contradicts what I've read. If I cared enough to try to sway you, I'd try to find everything I've read over the past year or so...but I don't. You can take my word for what I've read, or you can disagree; I won't lose sleep over it.

You are some random internet person. Why would I take your word for anything without proof?
  • roguestates
    Options
    gluten, pasta, sugar, aspartame, beer, water. we're all gonna die.

LIVE LIFE.

edited because I forgot to say "Blah. blah blah blah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

I think I'm going to have a side of beer with my cheesy pasta today.
  • TheGlen
    Options
    You are some random internet person. Why would I take your word for anything without proof?

Like I said, believe me, don't believe me; I don't really care. I have no motive/reason to lie about what I read and it's of no benefit to me if you believe me and improve your health, or instead argue that I haven't cited my sources appropriately.

Best of luck to you.
  • mmapags
    Options

Like I said, believe me, don't believe me; I don't really care. I have no motive/reason to lie about what I read and it's of no benefit to me if you believe me and improve your health, or instead argue that I haven't cited my sources appropriately.

Best of luck to you.

The argument isn't whether you have cited your sources. The argument is whether you have any proof for the statements you've made regarding 85% of the population having a problem with wheat. The clear answer is you don't. So, you are comfortable making unsubstantiated statements that may or may not be true. And we should all just believe you? No thanks. I'll trust proof and not some stranger on the internet's opinion.
  • TheGlen
    Options

Best of luck to you.

The argument isn't whether you have cited your sources. The argument is whether you have any proof for the statements you've made regarding 85% of the population having a problem with wheat. The clear answer is you don't. So, you are comfortable making unsubstantiated statements that may or may not be true. And we should all just believe you? No thanks. I'll trust proof and not some stranger on the internet's opinion.

Do I have proof that I read the articles I'm saying I did, or that they exist? No. I don't have the source in front of me, and I'm unwilling to make the effort to find it in order to convince you (and ultimately improve your health). What I'm comfortable doing, is sharing with the people on the forum the information I have read, even if I don't have a database or list citing everything I've read over the past year to "back it up". You can choose to believe me, or not; and it's always an option to do the searching/investigating yourself...but I'm not going to do it for you.