Thigh Gaps

Options
I hope all these people on here with the goal of having a "thigh gap" know that not everyone can get one. No matter how skinny you are if you don't have the bone structure which allows you to get a thigh gap, you won't have one.

I think this quote really says it all:

"Thigh gaps are genetically impossible for most of us, and not a symbol of fitness, good health or even thinness. Some of the thinnest people in the world will always have thighs that touch. And people who are overweight can have thigh gaps. Why? Because it depends on how far apart your hip bones are set, and whether or not you’re genetically programmed to accumulate fat there. Some people have more in their bellies, legs, butt.. some have it in their thighs. It’s normal & common be thin and have thighs that touch. (P.S - in case no one told you, 99% of those ‘thigh’ gap images have been altered to show the gap. It’s not something to aspire to). Let your thighs makeout, it’s okay."

Replies

• deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well said.
    Too often I read about it as the ultimate goal in being skinny. Surely it's better to be a healthy weight and have thighs that touch?

I don't have a thigh gap and I don't want one. I know it wouldn't look right on me.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thank u hon!!!! NO matter how small I've been I have never had one, neither does my sister who is naturally thin (I was happy when the girl FINALLY WEIGHED 100 LBS, lol) And I saw something with Tyra Banks in it and she showed the audience how models get Thigh Gaps in their pictures.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • athryn
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had a gap between my thighs my entire life, even when I was a kid, genetics and horseback riding (resulting in muscular thighs.)
  • TXGirl821
    Options
    The thigh gap thing is so weird to me. I never knew it was a THING people aspired to until I started using Tumblr. LOL I think it looks okay on some women, but I know it will neverrrr happen for me, even if I got to 100lbs. I'm totally okay with that! I want to be curvy and fit rather than just skinny. My thighs love each other too much to be separated!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I noticed something the other day on lululemon.

This model has a thigh gap:
    LW7284S_7506_1?$pdp_main$

This one does not:
    LW6347S_4847_1?$pdp_main$

Is the 2nd model fatter than the first? NO. She just has a different bone structure.

They also both have nice, healthy legs with muscles. They are not stick thing run way model legs.
  • hannahcaringal
    Options
    now i don't feel this insane pressure to get one, thanks!
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it's such a big thing to have a gap between your thighs anyway! My sister has one and I've always thought it look kinda nasty! I know I will never have it because I have big thighs! So what's the big hoopla??
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Everyone CAN achieve a thigh gap. Just spread your legs.
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I noticed something the other day on lululemon.

This model has a thigh gap:
    LW7284S_7506_1?$pdp_main$

This one does not:
    LW6347S_4847_1?$pdp_main$

Is the 2nd model fatter than the first? NO. She just has a different bone structure.

They also both have nice, healthy legs with muscles. They are not stick thing run way model legs.

Yes, and now clothes are designed to give a bit of a gap also., as in the first pic
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, and now clothes are designed to give a bit of a gap also., as in the first pic

You think the shorts are creating the thigh gap? Mmm.... I'm going to have to disagree.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it's such a big thing to have a gap between your thighs anyway! My sister has one and I've always thought it look kinda nasty! I know I will never have it because I have big thighs! So what's the big hoopla??

wow thats rude
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have the capability of having a thigh gap...in fact, if I stand in certain ways, I can create one and I am still overweight! It is not something I aspire to...I thought I did because I thought I'd chafe in shorts if I didn't have one but now I run and wear shorts and NO CHAFING! Screw you, thigh gap! I don't need you to be sexy!

I am a very curvy girl...but I have wide-set hips so standing with my legs shoulder width apart, my thighs barely touch. It's whatevs though...I am more into the muscle definitely my legs are getting!
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    ohh my :( that was one of my goals :( now i may not achieve that too! :(
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Everyone CAN achieve a thigh gap. Just spread your legs.

:laugh: Problem solved
  • CaptainSunflower
    Options
    As a child, I hated how my thighs touched. It was one of the many things I hated about myself. Now, I notice when people don't have thigh gaps. Zooey Deschanel in the New Girl opening song, Mitzi Gaynor in South Pacific, the girl wearing leggings walking down the street. Do their thighs touch? Yes. Does that make them less beautiful? No. Do they hide their body under baggy clothing and feed it crap as punishment for not looking right? Absolutely not. And neither should I.

But does no thigh gap mean I'll always have to wear shorts under dresses to stop them from rubbing?
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've always had a thigh gap. Ooops guess I'm NASTY! LOL

Don't think it means anything except that's just how my femur angles from my hip socket. I'm an hourglass shape even though my hips are small (35")

Thigh gap or not, as long as you are working to be the healthiest you that is possible...don't sweat it.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think I'd need to be very clinically under weight to have a thigh gap. I've always been pear shaped. Even at my skinniest (years ago, when I was under weight) I had sharp pelvic bones etc, a flat stomach and regular thighs. Maybe that would change with lots of cardio or weight lifting but it's not something I'm desperate for at the expense of my general health.
  • stephmo86
    Options
    well put. lol
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever really have a thigh gap. It's good to know it's not something that is a "must-have", "bucket list" thing. I know that my thighs have shrunk several inches, but they are probably as shrunk as they are getting, too. I'm ok with that!