Thigh Gaps

Options

Replies

• Substances
    Substances Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yay for this topic!

I do have a thigh gap, because I have a typical hourglass figure and the hips for it, but I see all of these girls obsessing over it and I'm just like "lolwut." I try to tell people who ask about it that you have to have a certain bone structure but no one seems to listen. They seem to think that all tiny girls have thigh gaps, especially girls on Tumblr. I have a friend who is very thin, naturally, we're talking one hundred and five pounds or so. She has a column-shaped body and no thigh gap. I weigh twenty pounds more than her and I have one.

I'm a leg gal, I love me some nice legs and a bum to top it off, but I have never just went looking for a thigh gap in someone. Frankly, I think it's overrated and girls constantly striving for one isn't healthy. Instead, go for nice, toned thighs! They look great~!
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm still going to try! It SUCKS when your thighs rub together. OWIE.. I wanna wear shorts and skirts and dresses again! =(
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    This is crazy. Growing up in the 80s, when a woman had a "thigh gap," she was stereotyped as being "easy." I remember hearing people make the comment, "Wow....she is so loose that she could straddle a fire hydrant" I cannot figure out what the big deal is about. It is hard enough as a woman just trying to fit into societies view as to what "normal" is. Just another pressure on girls today to try to be perfect....now young girls today have to strive for a "thigh gap." Thank God I have a son!!!

lol! I am a youth of the 80s also and I remember something similar, only where I come from we were not so polite haha The term was... "She's been f**ked bandy.." Which means pretty much the same thing, a loose woman that has had so much "fun" she cant put her legs together anymore lol !

Funny how the world changes hehe
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If a thigh gap is your goal, well that's fine I guess. I've never even thought about it until I started looking at the threads! And I asked my boyfriend and he's never even heard of a thigh gap or noticed when women do or do not have them, so to me I just don't understand who started looking for them in the first place.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Thanks for sharing it. We all fall for these images in magazines that aren't real, they all have been photoshopped. People need to get a grip of their sense of reality again. And your post helped.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I (not-so) secretly still want one. =(
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a tumblr account but searched for the tag to check. Lots of young girls obsessing over it:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/thighgap
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :wink:

Jane
  • mimigyal
    mimigyal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The thigh gap thing is so weird to me. I never knew it was a THING people aspired to until I started using Tumblr. LOL I think it looks okay on some women, but I know it will neverrrr happen for me, even if I got to 100lbs. I'm totally okay with that! I want to be curvy and fit rather than just skinny. My thighs love each other too much to be separated!
    lol yeah! Like I couldn't believe all of these girls were striving for one that was their #1 goal! like should'nt being healthy be on the top of your list?
  • mimigyal
    Options
    ohh my :( that was one of my goals :( now i may not achieve that too! :(
    Why? What is it about having a thigh gap that you want so much?
  • mimigyal
    Options
    I'd just like to say that I'm a pretty well-read man of the world, and I'd already been around for three decades of life before I first heard the phrase "thigh gap." It's unfortunate the amount of time that women, in particular, are made to end up worrying about their bodies overall in this day and age, but even given that we all focus on our bodies to some degree, the thought that anyone anywhere is spending any time at all considering whether or not they have a "thigh gap" still absolutely floors me. I mean, I know plenty of boob men, leg men, *kitten* men, etc. I have yet to meet a thigh gap man. I have no idea if my hot wife has a thigh gap. Where the hell did this nonsense come from?
    Girls who saw models photoshopped legs & thought
    "Hey, I want that too even if it's impossible!"
  • mimigyal
    Options
    I don't have a thigh gap, and I never had it as a goal to start with. This is just my observation, but the members who make threads inquiring on how to get a thigh gap tend to be younger, impressionable ones. They equate this physical characteristic with thinness and think that only those who are thin have a thigh gap. People should love their body as it is, with or without a thigh gap.
    Yeah it does, & exactly!
  • mimigyal
    Options
    Another thread where women get to compare their bodies to others and bash the differences.Yay! Just what MFP needs.
    Who's Bashing?!?! I'm nto saying there's anything wrong with having a thigh gap, I'm just saying that not everyone is designed to have one.
  • mimigyal
    Options
    LOL This thread just made me look in the mirror to check it out. I have one(with feet touching no less), so I guess this means I can stop with all the healthy food and exercise. Thank the lord all my prayers have been answered!!!

not.

The OP didn't say you're skinny if you have one... she said you can be big and have one, small and not have one, it's BONE STRUCTURE! You'd think you people started your day off with a big bowl of ignorance and inability to full comprehend what someone posts...
    Thank you!!! These people clearly don't know hot to read and comprehend things!!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Why? What is it about having a thigh gap that you want so much?

At least for me it's simply I want to be able to wear dresses without having to wear stockings/shorts/leggings to keep from chafing. Couldn't care less what it LOOKS like. It's not about vanity, it's a practical thing.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    for those complaining about chaffing, buy an extra deodorant and apply to thighs. problem solved.
  • mimigyal
    Options
    I (not-so) secretly still want one. =(
    There's nothing wrong with wanting one!
  • HealthyShazza
    Options
    So true...and thank God for BodyGlide and Monistat Anti-Chafe Gel. Chub rub sucks!!!!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    for those complaining about chaffing, buy an extra deodorant and apply to thighs. problem solved.

The point is, it'd be nice to not have to worry about resorting to various measures to prevent it, and have it just not happen instead.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol. I've never even heard of women wanting a "thigh gap" before I joined this site. So strange. I have a thigh gap and I always have... I have never thought twice about it. It's just the way my bones are structured... My knees don't even touch when I stand with my feet together.... And I am pear-shaped..ALL my weight goes to my legs/butt. Thigh gap is really no determinant for how thin you are.