Thigh Gaps

Options

Replies

• suzmagana
    suzmagana Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That was my sister's goal in high school. She's 5'4" and was about 120lb when this started. She got that gap at about 85 lb. Then my parents finally got involved and my sister got the therapist and started putting the weight back on.
    Don't set goals just on looks, esp. on one body part. Feel good, have energy.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do I want one? Yes. Not really for aesthetic reasons though. I mean, if I get one at a healthy weight and it looks good, great! I really just want it so I am much more comfortable wearing dresses and shorts when it's hot out haha. My thighs are where most of my weight goes though... so I probably won't get one.
  • SkinMim
    Options
    Wow. I never wished for thigh gaps but I won't lie , I find them attractive sometimes. However reading this makes me feel better that I don't have to exhaust myself to get them or have similar thighs . Well said !
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    I had never even heard of a thigh gap until I joined MFP.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    yeah...super pleased that i won't have one...lol....my hip bones are set very close together...so it may be impossible to ever achieve the "thigh gap"
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, due to my former ED, the Thigh Gap was always my goal. Even as a professional ballerina -- weighing in at 100-105 lbs at the time -- I was never able to obtain the Thigh Gap.

I'm also blessed because my husband tells me how unattractive that is and that most men really don't find that attractive at all. Apparently, and this is new to me... men like a bit of meat! ;-)

Wow, body shaming? I'm not surprised from someone who gender-biases friend requests on their profile... sheesh.
  • mimigyal
    mimigyal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do I want one? Yes. Not really for aesthetic reasons though. I mean, if I get one at a healthy weight and it looks good, great! I really just want it so I am much more comfortable wearing dresses and shorts when it's hot out haha. My thighs are where most of my weight goes though... so I probably won't get one.
    I don't see why it's easier to wear dresses and shorts when you have a thigh gap.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it's easier to wear dresses and shorts when you have a thigh gap.

It's so the thighs don't rub together to create chaffing.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, due to my former ED, the Thigh Gap was always my goal. Even as a professional ballerina -- weighing in at 100-105 lbs at the time -- I was never able to obtain the Thigh Gap.

I'm also blessed because my husband tells me how unattractive that is and that most men really don't find that attractive at all. Apparently, and this is new to me... men like a bit of meat! ;-)

Wow, body shaming? I'm not surprised from someone who gender-biases friend requests on their profile... sheesh.

Body shaming? What do you mean by that?

Why is my profile even relevent to you if you already find my post offensive?
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    lol, I don't want a thigh gap. I'm not barbie. As long as there isn't any excessive rubbing (which only happens if you're wearing shorts and the friction creates irritation), there's no real need to have one.

Unless you really really want one, I guess.
  • cybercpa
    Options
    Ditto, at 5'3", when I was age 26, and 103 lbs. I was petite but never had a thigh gap.

It's been 25 years since then and I don't have and never will have a thigh gap.

I'm working to get back to 115 ... that's enough for me. My shorts don't rub and I'm 144 which isn't "thin" nor do

I have thin legs. I am pear shaped.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a tumblr account but searched for the tag to check. Lots of young girls obsessing over it:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/thighgap

I'm actually so sad for those girls wanting to be skeleton skinny, having this 'feet together, thigh apart' gap.
    and bragging about eating less than 500 calories a day.
    so many depressed girls on there.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Just needed to say that this is a bizarre comment. :huh: There is no body-shaming in the first quote. And why is it any of your business if she only wants female friends? Sheesh back at ya. :huh: :huh:
  • fairestthings
    Options

Just needed to say that this is a bizarre comment. :huh: There is no body-shaming in the first quote. And why is it any of your business if she only wants female friends? Sheesh back at ya. :huh: :huh:

Thank you, thistimeismytime :) I think she was just trolling me anyway.
  • thistimeismytime
    Options

Thank you, thistimeismytime :) I think she was just trolling me anyway.

lol--I just call 'em like I see 'em! :bigsmile:
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I've always had a thigh gap because of my body shape so seeing people on here saying that is nasty and that "most men don't find it attractive" just makes me roll my eyes.
  • NotSoBigNeil
    NotSoBigNeil Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Everyone CAN achieve a thigh gap. Just spread your legs.

My new chat-up line :bigsmile:
  • LessStephMoreLove
    Options
    I always have a thigh gap even at 150lbs! They're are ugly anyways...I would love to rid of mine. :)
    You're all beautiful the way you are!
  • fairestthings
    Options
    I've always had a thigh gap because of my body shape so seeing people on here saying that is nasty and that "most men don't find it attractive" just makes me roll my eyes.

I didn't mean to be offensive. What my husband meant was that it isn't attractive on women (to him) when the woman doesn't naturally have it like you and so they must literally become walking skeletons in order to obtain it. I think the meaning behind this all is getting lost. I believe the OP was targeting the girls that are using that as their main weight loss goal, which, for most body types it is unnatural so it causes them to become almost skeletal. Some girls don't have to do that because their bodies are shaped that way! It's not unattractive in that sense.
  • thistimeismytime
    Options

I THINK---I might be wrong, but I THINK, men just don't care one way or the other. If a woman has one naturally, GREAT!! She should embrace her body shape and rock that gap!! But it's become this bizarre thing that's almost a synonym for Pro-Ana on this website. Girls are literally STARVING themselves to try to achieve this (mostly genetic) trait. Seriously, I don't think anyone is hating on women who have them naturally. I could be mistaken though... <shrugs shoulders>