Thigh Gaps

Options

Replies

• RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    most of the images we see in magazines are of professional anorexics, so after seeing these images our whole lives (for me it was Kate Moss when I was growing up) it warps our vision of what we should reasonably be able to achieve. Most of the women with xtremely lean thighs are a cheeseburger away from death.

They are not.

Have you ever seen a truly starving person? I will grant you that some models may be a little thinner than is ideally healthy for them, but most of them are nowhere near starving to death.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I had never even heard of a thigh gap until I joined MFP.

Same here. I was like thigh gap...??... WTF is that?!?
  • SMiller074
    SMiller074 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a tumblr account but searched for the tag to check. Lots of young girls obsessing over it:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/thighgap

Omg, what did I just read? Investigating that link made me so sad.
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    thigh gap = heinous emaciated look 99% of the time.
  • chloeidk
    Options
    i alwayyyyys wanted one and ik i can get one so imma keep doing wht im doing XD
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

WOW....I have a thigh gap and I guess that makes me heinous and emaciated, lol. FWIW, I think all women are beautiful with or without a thigh gap. It should have no bearing on one's body image. Good health should be the focus.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I feel kinda special now. I've always had one, even at my top weight. :embarassed: I can't help that I have such wide-set (and proportionally gigantic) hips.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options

WOW....I have a thigh gap and I guess that makes me heinous and emaciated. Gee, I feel all SWELL now...yeah...thanks.

Ignore those haters. Like OP said, it's about genetics. I, for one, will never have cleavage. :laugh: Glad to have my thigh gap though.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, due to my former ED, the Thigh Gap was always my goal. Even as a professional ballerina -- weighing in at 100-105 lbs at the time -- I was never able to obtain the Thigh Gap.

I'm also blessed because my husband tells me how unattractive that is and that most men really don't find that attractive at all. Apparently, and this is new to me... men like a bit of meat! ;-)

Wow, body shaming? I'm not surprised from someone who gender-biases friend requests on their profile... sheesh.

Just needed to say that this is a bizarre comment. :huh: There is no body-shaming in the first quote. And why is it any of your business if she only wants female friends? Sheesh back at ya. :huh: :huh:

Thank you, thistimeismytime :) I think she was just trolling me anyway.

lol--I just call 'em like I see 'em! :bigsmile:

Nope, not trolling. Not bizarre, either. Sorry you can't take a moment to comprehend what I said. She genders her friend requests (which itself is bizarre) and then comments, "Men don't like thigh gaps, they like meat on them ;)" That is body shaming. Women that ARE naturally thin, that lack curves, that do have thigh gaps, etc. are effected by those comments. That is body shaming, and she specifically linked it to attractiveness levels to men (heteronormative) and then on TOP of the weird friend limiting (which is specifically "no guys!"). This strikes me as someone that views a world in a highly cisgendered way, which is not necessarily a good thing.

If that's too much for you to understand, please look up what "body shaming" is, and stop being a negative in the MFP community.

It's bizarre to me how people are told things they don't want to hear, or are met with someone calling them out on ignorant comments, and they instantly think, "Oh, it's just a troll. I won't try to think about what I'm saying!"
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a tumblr account but searched for the tag to check. Lots of young girls obsessing over it:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/thighgap

Omg, what did I just read? Investigating that link made me so sad.

Really depressing. Not what I needed to be reading tonight :(.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have a thigh gap even at 140~145lbs.. though it's not as noticeable as when I was 115lbs. Not very attractive with my love handles though. :P Gotta love genetics. I think this is kinda like back dimples (above the butt) you either have them or you dont.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    People are SO easily offended.
    The OP started out, trying to help women who can't look like a magazine feel like it's ok (and it is! I will NEVER look like that) and people are getting offended and ...it's confusing...I'm starting to feel dizzy.

Not everything on this site is as serious as you make it out to be folks. o.x

And I'm a bi girl, I've never noticed a thigh gap.
    Silly me I was looking at her face (99% of the time.)
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5 pounds away from having total thigh gap (the very tops are just barely touching when I stand with my feet together) but when you consider my height and bone structure, I'm still about 10 pounds above my ideal weight. I don't think you have to be or look emaciated to have a thigh gap. I've birthed 3 babies and my hips show it. The result: a thigh gap.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, due to my former ED, the Thigh Gap was always my goal. Even as a professional ballerina -- weighing in at 100-105 lbs at the time -- I was never able to obtain the Thigh Gap.

I'm also blessed because my husband tells me how unattractive that is and that most men really don't find that attractive at all. Apparently, and this is new to me... men like a bit of meat! ;-)

Wow, body shaming? I'm not surprised from someone who gender-biases friend requests on their profile... sheesh.

Just needed to say that this is a bizarre comment. :huh: There is no body-shaming in the first quote. And why is it any of your business if she only wants female friends? Sheesh back at ya. :huh: :huh:

Nope, not trolling. Not bizarre, either. Sorry you can't take a moment to comprehend what I said. She genders her friend requests (which itself is bizarre) and then comments, "Men don't like thigh gaps, they like meat on them ;)" That is body shaming. Women that ARE naturally thin, that lack curves, that do have thigh gaps, etc. are effected by those comments. That is body shaming, and she specifically linked it to attractiveness levels to men (heteronormative) and then on TOP of the weird friend limiting (which is specifically "no guys!"). This strikes me as someone that views a world in a highly cisgendered way, which is not necessarily a good thing.

If that's too much for you to understand, please look up what "body shaming" is, and stop being a negative in the MFP community.

It's bizarre to me how people are told things they don't want to hear, or are met with someone calling them out on ignorant comments, and they instantly think, "Oh, it's just a troll. I won't try to think about what I'm saying!"

:noway: :noway: Ummmm, WoW :noway: :noway:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

She was talking about dialogue between her and her husband, through which her husband makes her feel secure and happy with her body. From my point of view- that has nothing to do with you or body shaming, unless you're interested in her husband. You're taking this comment WAY too personally.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is crazy. Growing up in the 80s, when a woman had a "thigh gap," she was stereotyped as being "easy." I remember hearing people make the comment, "Wow....she is so loose that she could straddle a fire hydrant" I cannot figure out what the big deal is about. It is hard enough as a woman just trying to fit into societies view as to what "normal" is. Just another pressure on girls today to try to be perfect....now young girls today have to strive for a "thigh gap." Thank God I have a son!!!

Lol Thank you!! I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that remembered this 80's reference!
  • kbem90
    Options
    Soooo true. I used to look at myself and think... 'my thighs barly touch... So They can't be THAT big' (most of my weight goes to my thighs... But there we go... I must just have wide hips. :) because I wouldn't really call my thighs skinny.... They're just wider apart. Haha
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    She was talking about dialogue between her and her husband, through which her husband makes her feel secure and happy with her body. From my point of view- that has nothing to do with you or body shaming, unless you're interested in her husband. You're taking this comment WAY too personally.

Morebean, thank you for putting it more eloquently than I could. Whenever I run across such pure hatred emanating from another person I tend to get tongue-tied and am unable to properly word a response

Firstsip, just because you feel compelled to judge me freely without knowing me doesn't mean anyone else is judging you with your apparent unforgiving standards. Lighten up.
  • mimigyal
    mimigyal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Gurlzz having da thigh gap don't make u any less pretty. You betta work da thigh gap. Same for da girlz wit no thigh gap. Work dos no gapped thigh like yo life depended on it
    tumblr_m06v98OwDS1qh2fws.gif
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It seems like ppl are getting offended over this post, I thght it just met if u hve one GREAT, id u dnt hve one GREAT ALSO. If u aren't GENETICALLY built to have one, then that you should stop trying to force your body to have one.