For you diet soda drinkers out there...

Options

Replies

• cutiepieinchi
    Options
    Sometimes I just get a craving for a diet soda. It has not hindered my weight loss and it is very rare of me to drink them,
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why anybody would want to put all those chemicals in their body in the first place.
    That I agree with.

There is a notable amount of research regarding aspartame. It's not good. At all. However, there is little convincing evidence that aspartame will outright kill you.

I enjoy Diet Dr. Pepper every now and then. It is what it is.

All that said, there are three things that bother me about this particular debate.

1. No one can effectively argue that "diet soda" is "healthy." At best, "diet soda" is a null consideration. As in, on its VERY BEST DAY, it's probably not going to make you sick, fat nor immediately kill you.

That's far from ideal.

2. Why are people so easily riled-up by food discussions? One camp will condemn a particular food, for 1 of a million different reasons. And, right on cue, another camp of "e-scholars" will jump up to defend that food, as though the first group just b!tch-smacked their grandma.

Take a breath and relax. It's f**king soda.

3. There is nothing compelling about a list of "articles" from Google search. The fact that you Googled YOUR chosen sequence of words to support YOUR opinion, means absolutely nothing. I have no doubt that if I wanted to prove that farting in my own mouth aided in building calf muscles, somewhere on the Net, some dinglesh!t has posted something to support the theory.

Take everything you read online with a grain of salt.

And keep being awesome.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have and still will be drinking 2- 24 oz, bottles of Diet Pepsi a day and have lost 311 lbs. in the process and am a Type 2 Diabetic. I don't buy into all the scare tactics of the chemicals, if you are worried about aspartame in Diet Soda then you ought to check into a 3 oz. chicken breast and see how much more of a chemical make up is in them... And yep I eat alot of chicken breast too!! But again to each his own, do what works best for you and I will do the same... Best of Luck...
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hasnt had a negative impact on my weight loss.

Mine either. However ^ this guys is way more impressive.

What they said. I'm currently drinking a can of Diet Dew that's bigger than my head.

All this. I drink it everyday and freely admit I'm addicted to it.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have never seen any concrete evidence that diet pop effects humans as a lot of the studies done are done on lab rats.

Sure, some people have sensitivities to artificla sweeteners and (as another poster pointed out) a lot of people have sensitivities to other healthy foods or allergies to them that could cause a fatal reaction. I have never had an issue with diet pop. I drink it all the time and it actually helps me eat less. It doesn't make me crave sugar or "create fat" on my body. My weight issues weren't due to drinking diet pop. I never really drank regular as I hate the taste of it and find it far too sweet. Some also say that there is far too much sodium in pop but there's more sodium in other healthy foods than in pop. sure, it's all chemicals but so is everything we eat, drink, put on our skin, nails, hair etc.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    ALL soda is bad for you. Regular and diet. If I'm going to drink it, might as well get the one with zero calories. And I do. Almost every day. So there. :-P
  • EllaNovella
    Options
    Why don't you just stop drinking soda and let other people decide if they want to drink it or not
  • christie12232
    Options
    Diet Soda (or any soda for that matter) is good for you -- especially dieters!!! I mean just think of how many pounds you can lose from all the teeth it rots out of your head...lol!!! You would think that alone would be incentive enough for anyone trying to lose weight...how could that be bad for you???

I am no diet soda hater, but my teeth are...lol. I am addicted like most people. However, I have been "thin" all of my life and have only just now gained five unwanted pounds due to my metabolism finally slowing down at the tender age of 45. I don't know about all the science stuff, but it doesn't seem to make me want to run out and eat junk food. I've always been a very healthy eater and still am.

I can say, though, that whenever I drink a lot of water (and I mean a lot of water - like 1 gallon a day), the taste of Diet Coke (at least) becomes so unappealing to me, that I don't even want to drink it. It is just gross to me. It tastes so stale and syrupy..lol. You should try it and see. Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone who might want to kick the habit but is having a hard time. It was effortless for me, when drinking lots of water. I didn't even miss it. It was revolting...lol. Who knows, it might just work for you until they create a Diet Coke patch...like the smoking ones...lol.

Best wishes to each of you in your weight loss efforts!
  • verneonisback
    verneonisback Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    : AMEN ! :) WATER IS THE BEST! :drinker:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    3. There is nothing compelling about a list of "articles" from Google search. The fact that you Googled YOUR chosen sequence of words to support YOUR opinion, means absolutely nothing. I have no doubt that if I wanted to prove that farting in my own mouth aided in building calf muscles, somewhere on the Net, some dinglesh!t has posted something to support the theory.

We need more research.

And then research in the best way to far in one's own mouth. My dog gets startled and spins around fast every time he farts, so that might be one way. I don't know if dogs even HAVE calf muscles, but the canine equivalent on his body is remarkably well-developed.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options

We need more research.

And then research in the best way to far in one's own mouth. My dog gets startled and spins around fast every time he farts, so that might be one way. I don't know if dogs even HAVE calf muscles, but the canine equivalent on his body is remarkably well-developed.
    You just need a vacuum hose. I Googled it.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    A little food for thought:

The two main components of aspartame are found in chicken breast. In fact a typical 4 oz serving of chicken breast contains about 25 cans of diet soda worth of the stuff.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options

The two main components of aspartame are found in chicken breast. In fact a typical 4 oz serving of chicken breast contains about 25 cans of diet soda worth of the stuff.
    My poo this morning contained components of everything I ate for lunch yesterday.

I'm not gonna eat that either. :wink:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Yeah I copied and pasted this from a post I made on another Diet Soda thread from a week ago:

Aspartame has been around in many of our foods for decades now. The ADI (Acceptable Daily Intake) for aspartame (which is 50 milligrams per kilogram of body weight), an average adult would have to consume about 20 cans of diet soft drink, or 42 servings of sugar-free gelatin,or 97 packets of an aspartame-containing tabletop sweetener each day—which is obviously not likely. The main make up of Aspartame is Phenylalanine, Aspartic Acid, and Methanol in that order. A 12 oz. can of diet soda contains (Phenylalanine 90mg, Aspartic Acid 72mg and Methanol 18mg) in comparison a 3 oz. Chicken Breast has (Phenylalanine 1,059mg, Aspartic Acid 2,377mg and Methanol 0mg) knowing this will you stop eating chicken (that is if you currently are??) No disrespect but diet soda gets more of a knock than other foods we probably consume more of that contains a lot more aspartame... I just don't see the risk....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

My poo this morning contained components of everything I ate for lunch yesterday.

I'm not gonna eat that either. :wink:

My dog will. And like I said, he has amazing dog muscles.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    This is ho-science at its finest.
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There is no way my body creates fat in response to fake sugar--at least not in any way that matters. I drink way too much diet soda and have never been able to quit. The longest I have gone intentionally is 24 hours. It keeps me from eating or drinking something that would put more fat on.
    ^This! If drinking diet soda would in the slightest bit keep me from losing weight, I would never have lost a pound, and I have lost and kept off 80lbs. I drink cases a week worth of pop...probably not a good thing, but I haven't seen any effects yet.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I drink WAAAAAY too much diet soda!! But that's not causing me to gain weight, or hinder my weight loss... but yes, I'm concerned about the chemicals and how they affect my body.. something I want to work on..

I do suggest switching to diet vs. regular if you have to have some :)
    Not losing weight fast enough? Diet soda is worse for you than regular soda. Anyone wanting a healthy life style shouldn't drink any sodas. If you must, at least stay away from the fake sugar. The aspartame used in diet sodas also causes vitamins to be leached from your bodies and it is also highly carcinogenic. Studies have found that bodies react to fake sugar in the same way as real sugar. It might not have as many calories but your body still creates fat in response.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41479869/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/daily-diet-soda-tied-higher-risk-stroke-heart-attack/#.UEJIpdZlSDk

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/28/us-diet-drinks-health-idUSBRE82R1BL20120328

I'm posting this for my mom and aunts who are diet coke addicts.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...It might not have as many calories but your body still creates fat in response.
    I would LOVE to have someone explain to me how a zero-calorie (or virtually so) substance causes your body to "create fat". The body creates/stores fat from caloric/nutrient intake in excess of what can be metabolized. This is broscience and scare-mongering at its worst.

[ETA:] If one is going to give up diet soda in the interest of being "healthier", don't feel too sanctimonious when you start drinking Crystal Light, Mio, etc. instead - those also contain artificial sweeteners and chemicals similar to those found in diet soda.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Diet soda causes your body to create matter. Cool.