MFP Debate....Do you accept friend requests with no msg?

Options

Replies

• MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I never understood what the big deal is, but then I'm not an MFP celebrity or someone who gets 10 requests a day.

If they don't leave a message I'll usually accept the request, and if they aren't very active or if their posts are obnoxious, offensive, or consistently negative I will remove them.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I accept them all. However, I prefer the message just to see either where they saw something posted from me or even just a "hi" is fine with me.

But, I check my friends list about every week and tend to delete people who haven't logged in in 2+ weeks. It's been my experience that once someone hits 2 weeks, they usually aren't back at all or consistently. Those who are on vacation usually let everyone know they will be gone and that is a different situation. It may seem harsh, but I don't need to have friends that aren't even committed to logging in. I don't care if you log or post consistently but for me, I need the motivation to see you logging in frequently.
  • wham55
    Options
    No one thats ever added me sent a message, so i always accept :)
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much of their profile I can see. If it's open, then I'll check it out and decide from there. If it's closed and there's no message, then I don't accept the request. I've had a lot of people try to sell me junk, and that's not why I'm here. I also prefer to add like-minded people, so when I talk about my eating habits, it's with people who get it.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I do, but I definitely prefer messages with the requests. I give the ones without a shot for a little while, but if they don't log in, and/or are not active on MFP I delete them,
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I accept everyone message or no message... I don't usually keep them though - they have a week to prove themselves to be a 'friend' and not just someone who wants lots of praise with no return. If I don't see praise at least once a week (usually on weigh day) I remove them. It's unreal the amount of people that just add you and then never say anything... what's the point?
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Usually not as I specify on my profile Im not here to be popular so include a message but sometimes if someones profile is totally filled out and they are someone I can identify with I will give them a chance. :) But usually I am not so kind. And even if someone sends a message and they have no friends and no profile and no picture, they could send me the biggest message in the world and I would decline. Life is too short not to be real!
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I accept them because I know how it is. Sometimes you just don't know what to write or how to start
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have done when I started first but I wouldn't now. It's just common courtesy to send a message! I also won't add someone who can't even be bothered to upload a picture...
  • ShaneOSX
    Options
    Yes, because I don't care enough not to. MFP is basically a social network, networking is the point.

If someone is annoying me I'll unfriend them, but that's only happened one time.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I will accept them, but only if they reply when I write to them asking for a little bit of info about them. I'm one of those "anal" MFPers who is on here daily and logs daily. I try to gather up MFP friends with like minds, to help us all stay on track better. I find that it's better to cultivate friends with similar drives than to find them pooping out on me a few weeks into the game, no longer showing up on here for weeks at a time, never a comment, note, or anything, and then ending up just removing them because they obviously aren't interested in sticking around.
  • Cathcandoo
    Cathcandoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow! There is really alot of differing opinions here - after reading them...I have to agree with what many have said on both sides of the argument....having said that - I still prefer a msg but it isn't a deal breaker - it's not like we are employing someone - lol!

I think it comes down to the fact that I appreciate someone who takes the time to make a comment but then I am a talker and have never made a request without sending a msg - it's the old adage...treat others as you would like to be treated..huh, thanks for all the feedback, MFP's!!!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    NO I do not.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I give just about everyone a chance, message or not. But I've found that the non message people don't last long on my list.
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I give just about everyone a chance, message or not. But I've found that the non message people don't last long on my list.

^^^ This. However, if there is no pic with the no message request...I always decline.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

hmmm....I said that burrito was wbgoldentown? That's all you get. got.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    My info is all public anyway. I accept all friend requests. I'm pretty immune to nasty people on forums so no worries.
  • Brakalack
    Brakalack Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yah, usually its nice to have a message so you aren't wondering if it is for a weird reason or not.. :)
  • 1nr15
    1nr15 Posts: 155
    Options
    not anymore :smile:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I either pm them and ask if they read one of my posts or if we have a mutual friend. Lately, I've just been accepting willy nilly. Haven't needed to delete anyone, except people who haven't logged in for months.