MFP Debate....Do you accept friend requests with no msg?

Options

Replies

• dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have a message to know how they connected to me, ie another friend, a post, a blog, etc. But I do accept them regardless. However, I have deleted a couple soon after looking at their profile and see they have an ED and only eat 400 calories a day. I've tried helping other friends with this problem and I'm not equipped to do so professionally. And I hate seeing all their friends go WTG on staying under 400 calories, blah blah blah. I just like to know if it's something I said or did that compelled them to friend request me, not to just be part of a friend gathering who already has 1000 friends or so.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't care if ppl include a message. A message doesn't tell you much. Anyone can lie about why they want to be your friend. How they act on the feed will tell who they really are.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Debate? I don't accept blank requests. That's not up for debate.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm not picky.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like messages but they are not 100% required.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yes. I would hope that when someone has sent a friend request then they have looked at my profile or read something I've posted and thought we have something in common. Once they are on my friends list I would expect some interaction though - if it appears I've just been 'collected' then I will delete after a few weeks Quite a few of my current friends did not send a message.and if I hadn't added them i would have missed out on some great support and encouragement from some lovely people.
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    not anymore... i've found the 99% of the time someone who has requested without a message has no friends the same or posted on the forum.... just a bit odd to me.

it's not hard to send a message along with the request.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I usually will and delete them if they aren't really what I'm looking for. I prefer to maintain a small number of friends anyway. Around 20 or so.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    No message = Decline most of the the time.
    I usually look at the person profile if there is no msg to see if we have friends in common. If we do, then I accept but if there is no interaction within the week they get deleted.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I don't accept request with no message usually but if I happen to check your profile page, like it, and think we'll work great together then I'll accept you.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Debate? I don't accept blank requests. That's not up for debate.

:happy:
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I haven't had anyone just "collecting women", so no reason not to accept.
    I do prefer a message but its not like I'm going to deny someone just for not sending a message.

I do always send a message when I send a FR.
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    i do, because it's pretty obvious you found me in a thread or we have mutual friends already. i don't need a message because i hope to interact and learn what you're all about and it doesn't take long to see the difference between someone who finds you inspirational or simply attractive

^ This.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I don't accept requests without a note because my profile says I don't... if they can't be troubled to read my profile, I don't think the friendship is going to workout.

That said, sometimes I do, if their name is familiar or makes me laugh, or if there is something about their profile pic that makes me think I would have friended them if I had seen them first (similar photo to me, really pretty dress, nice abs (women can objectify too!))
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I check profiles first....and just decide by what I see. I only have two male friends on here I believe.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It never occurs to me to care until I see one of these threads. I have no idea which of my friends sent a message and which ones didn't except for one person and that's because she just friended me the other day. When I don't get a message, I get a little curious about how the person came across me, but it doesn't bother me. I'd say I get more friend requests without messages than with. Because of these threads, though, I am very aware to send a message when I request, unless I just interacted with the person in the forums.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I do not send a message. I am requesting because the person has shown a work effort or dedication. When I see some of the post demanding a message, it comes across as I am GOD and you must worship me. However, I have read several accounts of both sexes just being requested for they can view the pictures or send messages so I understand. Same as on facebook I do not understand "friend" collectors.

Bottom line: I am on this site to lose the weight, and if you can help great, if not get out of the way. I have my rock at home and it has been a great 16 years and looking forward to many more. This site is about fitness.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    no - we are all here for the same reason, and I will get to know each of my friends as we both post and comment on eachothers walls - the fact that someone found me, read somethin I had to say and found it interesting enough to add me says enough really.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    When it's a female i do...For me more the support the happier i am!I l love all the fitness pals i've made so far!.....And this is a fitness network...tis not like facebook...the same rules don't apply here...people add you for only motivation and support is what i believe...

just my opinion :)
  • jpfost
    jpfost Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I accept all request. you can always delete them if there is a problem