MFP Debate....Do you accept friend requests with no msg?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yeah why not? It's not that serious.
  • lizzie2190
    lizzie2190 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I prefer a message too, I'm not a big forum user so wonder how people find me sometimes :/
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't really care why someone wants to be my friend. Its not like this person is going to be coming over to my house or going to lunch with me. I just hope that they can get something from my experience and that maybe I'll find a unique food or exercise idea by trolling their diaries =)
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    On my profile I specifically ask for a message. I figure if there's no message, then they haven't read my profile, what good are people who can't read?? So no!!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I don't accept. I just want people that I actually talk to and having things in common with aside from losing weight. I'd rather have 20 friends that I talk to a lot than have 200 friends who mean nothing.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This cept it's not the first line.
    Usually, no.

The very first line of my profile says that I don't accept friends requests without a message. If someone didn't take a minute or two to read my profile, it makes me wonder why they're friend requesting me in the first place. I don't have a lot of friends on here and don't see any reason to add random people for no reason. I just want to know SOMETHING about them - do we have similar stats? Common interests? Did they like one of my forum posts? Just a quick one-line message is all I'm asking for!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Too many people take the friends request too seriously!! I have learned its best not to accept people under 21.
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I usually send a message when I make a request. However, when I make a request it is because I saw them on a feed from another friend and they were showing sincere support in their feeds to that person. It's all about encouraging others in meeting their goals and I want to help in anyway.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I will accept them because I assume there was something about me that either motivated them to send the request (i.e. goals) or they liked what I had to say in a forum, etc. However, I will delete people if I don't feel we interact, if they post multiple lingerie or nearly nude pics just to get compliments, or if they are 110 pounds complaining about gaining. It's not that I care how much someone weighs, but I doubt we will have anything in common in terms of weight loss or MFP. I also delete friend collectors and people who don't log for more than a week.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I do not mind if there is no message but I look to see if there is some friend in common. In most instances it is through a mutual friend that I get friended, or through a forum post.
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I've made friends using the forum, so I already know why they're adding me.

I'm shy, even on the internet. Sometimes when I send a request, I don't really know what to say. In real life, I'm never the one to initiate a conversation. Why should I be any different online?
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Yep!

Some of my better MFP friends on here were those who didn't include a message.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i do i dont think its such a big deal honestly... it is a courtsey thing to include a message but it doesnt phase me.. if someone wants to friend me i take that as a compliment
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about having friends. I don't really see a point.... sometimes I do sometimes I don't. I don't usually accept them from men who have a ton of pretty girls as their friends, or in other words, a "collector" I don't accept from men in general usually. Sometimes I will leave a reply on a post that is sexual in nature... like anything about sex, or I commented on a post about what is the sexiest thing to wear to bed, etc. and I will receive a few requests from random guys shortly after. Umm no. lol.

But like I said I don't see a point in having friends on here. It doesn't really serve a purpose IMO.
  • texjenn
    texjenn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would prefer a msg but will accept without one. I've just started accepting friends. So, I'll probably delete friends that aren't really working at it or aren't involved. I'm not for gaining all these friends, but I'll help out where I can.
  • move257
    move257 Posts: 313
    Options
    No way!! I think it's common courtesy!! I hate when people send a request and their profile is completely private! So you know nothing about them, why they want to add you or anything!! Msgs are important because the connections you make on here have a lot of effect in how you do. All that support helps a lot! So when someone can't take 10 seconds to write me a msg, how much are they going to say later on?!! I know some people don't like it but I'm sorry, I don't think it's asking for too much! No MSG, INSTAND DECLINE.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do, but I prefer if people would send a message.
  • lolobi1
    Options
    Not really bothered, not on here for friends, I can motivate myself plenty...I joined because of the decent calorie counter tool. I'll accept all friend requests and am partial to peeps who need a bit of encouragement, but whether I have zero or 1 milly, its not a big deal to me.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I sent a few FR when I was new and didn't know people wanted messages. It would be to someone I had seen in a thread that I liked their approach to diet or exercise. I had my profile open so they could see it to decide.

Because of that, I will accept requests without a message if their profile is open and I can see their goals and motivation match mine or are compatible with what I want to get out of MFP, especially if I interacted with them on the forum.