Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    im subscribing to the new thread just for the occasional humor.... carry on. (pun intended)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    The main reason I carry.
    310459_4151594461377_1695716630_n.jpg
  • HisShadow
    HisShadow Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I carry a gun because I can not carry a policeman.

I suggest anyone who is interested why Americans might feel like the duty of self-protection falls on themselves might look up Castle Rock v. Gonzales in SCOTUS rulings. The justices specifically ruled that police have NO duty to protect individuals from harm.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Eventually your government will fail as ALL governments have in history. Who will protect you then? Do you think those gunless bobbies will give two hoots about weather or not you are protected when **** falls apart? Keep telling yourself that you have no need and you will be safe. You live in a dream land of false safety....As for me and my family well we will be protected.
    Eh... When "**** falls apart"? What exactly do you think is going to happen? Aliens? Zombie attacks?

I'm confused??
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

You are twisting what I said and misquoting me.

Your Words
    "The point is glaring...American (gun owners) dont feel the need for a government entity to provide them with protection. Nor do we trust them to provide us with the personal protection we need for our self and our family. The congested urban areas do. That's why highly populated metropolitan areas tend to vote democrat because they need the government to provide services for them instead of providing them on their own. Democrats are dependent on outside entity. Relying on some one else to provide that for you is a recipe for failure."
    [/quote]

These are your words. So my question is has your local police, fire department, courts and lawmakers and armed forces not protected you? And since you say the cities depend on government instead of providing for themselves, how do you suggest the cities do that? Sounds like you are promoting vigilante justice to me.

[/quote]
    "We dont expect anyone to come to our rescue. We are self sufficient and dont need a government to help us. If you trust your government congratulations. I hope that works out well for you. I hope on your life that you never have to experience it. As for me and my family well we will be protected. "
    [/quote]

You said you don't need government help you are self-sufficient, but you don't live in the United State of Massive Delta, but the United States of America. I have no idea why you don't trust your police, fire, courts, lawmakers and armed forces to do their jobs. I don't know where they have failed you and your family, or how they left you vulnerable and unprotected. In fact the very laws that they protect and uphold allow you have a weapon in the first place. You say I am twisting your words, but there they are in black and white.
    [/quote]

*SLAM* *SLAM* <---the noise a criminal makes kicking in your door at night when trying to steal you medications to cook crack or meth. I dare you to call 911 and wait for them to respond. When you live in rural Arkansas (such as myself) your average wait time for a police response is more than 5 minutes. Do you think you can ask the criminal to come back because you believe in the local fire department, police department and judicial system? My Wife and Son are the things i think about not my possible legal fee's. I'm not saying smoke everything that walks in your door,. Be trained, exercise caution and hopefully you will never need to use your training. Lots of people have car insurance, but not everyone gets into an accident. If you don't believe these sort of things happen take a look:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500202_162-5949873.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082210/Sarah-McKinley-Teen-mom-shoots-dead-intruder-week-babys-father-died-cancer.html

Im happy you live in a place where you can rely on others, that's part of why we pay our taxes, please don' get blinded by your securities many people are not that lucky....
    [/quote]

Protecting yourself from an intruder versus running on a hiking trail while carrying are apples and oranges. BTW most states where killing an intruder can be a justifiable shooting, usually requires it to be on your property while you were in imminent danger. I can't tell you how many cases I have covered of people who in the heat of the moment chased after the intruder shooting them and then faced jail time. Our taxes do cover government services and that poster says they are self-sufficient and don't rely on the government for anything. Even if you prefer to be prepared , which is your right, to deal with an intruder while you wait five minutes for the cops, you still call the cops. It sounded to me like that poster was promoting vigilante justice and I don't think that is okay.
    [/quote]

I find it amusing on how you take his words and twist them to fit your post. Also I have never heard of a story in my state where a person ever got into trouble by shooting someone who was attacking or robbing them regardless of where they were the the shooting occurred. If you are in danger of losing your life then you are in the right. . Look up Castle Law/Retreat Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine) Where I live it takes the police 30 minutes to respond to a call. The main reason I now own a gun and carry one most places is I got tired of fighting/getting threatened by my crazy ex and all her meth head tweaker friends.

This is America and I find it crazy that you ***** and moan about a citizen, who by all intensive purposes for this argument, is legally exercising he second amendment rights.
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    The main reason I carry.
    310459_4151594461377_1695716630_n.jpg

I got the same SIG in the .40 flavor ;)
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    So your local police department has failed you? Your local District Attorney's office has failed you? Your local fire department has failed you? Your state police department has failed you? Your state legislators and locally elected officials have failed you? Your states National Guard and our Armed Forces have failed you? What a patriot. What you are saying makes absolutely no sense. Your tax dollars pay police, fire and government salaries, they damn well better protect you. That is their job. Someone better be on the other end if I need to call 911 and an officer should respond. We live in a civilized society, where vigilante justice is not the law of the land and if you understood the constitution then you would respect law and order. We are the UNITED States of America, one nation.

The top quote seriously made me laugh out loud...

The belief in law enforcement and all of the other stuff is quite amusing.

I fully respect and appreciate law enforcement but working in the security industry... (hmmm now that is interesting an ENTIRE INDUSTRY BASED on a service to fulfill what local law enforcement cannot fulfill)

I just cannot wrap my head around that statement... To think that it is safer and an advantage to not be armed and to rely on a police agency that is any where from 1 minute to 1 hour away from you at any given moment and you think that they are going to protect you and your family. Law Enforcement is not there to be your personal body guard and when people have that expectation it is quite disturbing. It is a very victim based mentality that believes that they will be there to protect you.

I am sure when I was stabbed as a child a cop was there to stop the guy that did it to me, yep he was right there I was not walking back holding my wound as blood was seeping out crying looking for my house... nope a cop swooped in and stopped the bad guy and arrested him ! Nope, you have to call 911 first and usually it takes a while...

If you are intelligent of the use of a concealed firearm then it is a highly effective tool. I have used it several times to avoid bodily injury to myself or others, the mere presence of it de-escalated it....

But you know personal accounts are meaningless... They are just facts.

Considering this was in response to someone who said the government always fails and they are self-sufficient and don't need to rely on them for anything, I am surprised at how many posters have so little faith in the people who risk their lives to protect you. Just as there are stories of people who have scared away an attacker or intruder with their weapon, there are more stories of law enforcement and firefighters saving lives. I have never spoke against someone wanting a gun in their home to protect their family. That is their right, but to think you having a gun suddenly negates the needs for law enforcement is absurd. If that is the case, let's just save all the tax dollars we spend on training and employing cops, firefighters, first responders and courts and give every American gun and let them fend for themselves.

You obviously missed the part about how I respect law enforcement and its necessity.

The fact is Law Enforcement is LAW ENFORCEMENT they are not an entity designed to protect you from a criminal in the act of committing a crime. Their job is to attempt to enforce laws, to be a lawful presence in a community, to apprehend those that commit crimes and to deter illegal activity in general. The idea that a Cop is a cop to personally protect you, your family, your street corner is completely and absolutely absurd. The majority of policing is after the fact, its a "crime has been committed now they begin their job". It does you no good if you are already the victim of the crime... maimed or worse a family member killed...

^^ This! My ex had her meth headed friends text me threats saying of how they would beat me, break bones, put me in the hospital ect. The police wouldn't do anything about it. They said "well we dont know they really sent those messages. Someone could have had access to their phone and sent them."

If you depend on someone else to protect you then you will get second rate protection.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    The real reason we don't have socialized healthcare here in America, is because it's too expensive to patch up all those bullet holes from the legal guns.

I hope this statement was sarcasm or an attempt at humor, because otherwise it is simply ridiculous.

Police Officers are a reactionary force. They do not follow everyone around making sure nothing bad happens to you. They intervene only after a crime has occurred. That's a little too late in my book. If an assailant wants my wallet, my car, my iPod...take them. I'll take my chances in court in that scenario. If an assailant comes after me or my family physically, all bets are off and said assailant is going to have a very bad day.
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    The real reason we don't have socialized healthcare here in America, is because it's too expensive to patch up all those bullet holes from the legal guns.

I hope this statement was sarcasm or an attempt at humor, because otherwise it is simply ridiculous.

Police Officers are a reactionary force. They do not follow everyone around making sure nothing bad happens to you. They intervene only after a crime has occurred. That's a little too late in my book. If an assailant wants my wallet, my car, my iPod...take them. I'll take my chances in court in that scenario. If an assailant comes after me or my family physically, all bets are off and said assailant is going to have a very bad day.

Yeah lets not forget that wonderful response by the NYPD and the people the cops shot to apprehend one guy last month.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Does this help?

sarcasm-sign-for-iphone-screenshot-1.jpg
  • Christina269
    Options
    I love this thread. I'm a proud FOIDer.. I target shoot for fun. I have firearms and receive training on firearms so I don't have to be a victim should something terrible start to happen. Also, I have a firearm because it's my 2nd amendment right.

We don't know what the future holds... we never know who the enemy of our future might be. It could be the very people we thought would protect us.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Eventually your government will fail as ALL governments have in history. Who will protect you then? Do you think those gunless bobbies will give two hoots about weather or not you are protected when **** falls apart? Keep telling yourself that you have no need and you will be safe. You live in a dream land of false safety....As for me and my family well we will be protected.
    Eh... When "**** falls apart"? What exactly do you think is going to happen? Aliens? Zombie attacks?

I'm confused??

Hmmm how bout this? Our world economy is crumbling Do you think the government is going to protect you from the rioting masses of the unprepared.

Racism-and-the-Media.jpg
    mobviolence.bmp
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

I'm confused??

Hmmm how bout this? Our world economy is crumbling Do you think the government is going to protect you from the rioting masses of the unprepared.

Racism-and-the-Media.jpg
    mobviolence.bmp
    Or when a hurricane hits and we are lawless for two weeks. Yeah.. I have lived thru that already.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

I'm confused??

Racism-and-the-Media.jpg
    mobviolence.bmp
    Or when a hurricane hits and we are lawless for two weeks. Yeah.. I have lived thru that already.

BOOM!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

I find it amusing on how you take his words and twist them to fit your post. Also I have never heard of a story in my state where a person ever got into trouble by shooting someone who was attacking or robbing them regardless of where they were the the shooting occurred. If you are in danger of losing your life then you are in the right. . Look up Castle Law/Retreat Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine) Where I live it takes the police 30 minutes to respond to a call. The main reason I now own a gun and carry one most places is I got tired of fighting/getting threatened by my crazy ex and all her meth head tweaker friends.

This is America and I find it crazy that you ***** and moan about a citizen, who by all intensive purposes for this argument, is legally exercising he second amendment rights.

Now you are twisting my words, because I never spoke against anyone owning a weapon. I did say you have right to protect your home and own a weapon to do so. I am not comfortable with concealed and open carry, because of the variation in training from state. I find a mandatory class of a few hours insufficient. There are some gun owners who carry who are well trained and truly don't want to have to use their weapon, but then there are the wingnuts and I don't believe there are adequate barriers to restrict those wingnuts from carrying a weapon. That is my personal preference.

But back to your comments, the original post said that he don't need the government, that metropolitan areas only need them because we can't do for ourselves. He also said you are self-sufficient and that governments failed. Now, I don't see how any American' is not offended by those remarks. I still have not gotten an example of when America, from the local, state to federal level has failed him.

Now you say police are 30 minutes away. So does that also mean that if you have a medical emergency or fire that you have to wait 30 minutes for help as well. Well that is not America failing you, that is you failing your family, believing that intruders are the only thing you need to protect them from. Your family is more likely to experience a fire or medical emergency than a break-in. A gun will help you with an intruder, but how do you protect your family from danger, you call for help.

I have worked with law enforcement, first responders and armed forces and see the hard work and sacrifices they make to make America better. It's too bad you have so little faith in them. As a journalist I have interviewed families who's loved ones were killed or severely injured in action and I have covered those who have rescued lives, prevented and intervened in crimes and gone above the call of duty. Funny thing is there are way more stories like this, then of homeowners saving their families from bad guys. Yes this does happen and yes you have a duty to protect your family, but no you are not the law and protecting yourself and your family does not negate the need for law enforcement, first responders, firefighters and the courts.

Speaking of courts. I don't know what state you live in, but unless you are in a stand your ground state you have the duty to retreat. I have worked in Texas where damn near everybody has a gun. I covered two murder trials, that's right murder where the accused shot someone in self-defense, but the person was retreating. In one case, a father shot his daughter's abusive boyfriend, but he shot in the back as was leaving and already off the man's property. The two definitely had been fighting, but the boyfriend was no longer considered a threat once he retreated. Another case a college student woke up to two armed men in his room. He was a football player and managed to fight and get the gun from one of the guys. The guys ran, once the left his room, they were no longer considered on his property. He shot one of them in the leg, the guy died from the bleed. The college student was tried and convicted of murder. In New York, which has some of the strictest gun laws, a group of white teens showed to a black teens house on Long Island. The teens had been bullying the boy and his father came out with a gun to tell them to go home, but one of the teens got into a physical fight with the father. the father shot and killed the teen, he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, btw it happened in his driveway.

So shooting and killing someone who you feel is a threat is not so black and white. Regardless of the state the police, courts and jury have to believe that the threat was legitimate and even though some of these cases the threat seemed very legitimate to the average person, it may not play out that way in court. I would never say don't protect your family. I would never say don't have a gun in your home to protect your family. But even with a gun, I wouldn't be naive enough to assume that I am a one man army either.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Can you guys figure out the quote function, or just start over?
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    WOW - this thread has gone CRAZY!

I have no problems with guns - there are lots of hunters in my family and I've been target shooting, skeet shooting, etc. I DO have a problem with vigilante justice! That being said.....

I don't carry a gun, nor do I have one in my house even though I love alone. I also ride a motorcycle and most of the time I ride alone, and some people have suggested I carry a gun for safety.

I don't carry a gun because:
    1. If I carry a gun that means I need to be prepared to use deadly force and I just don't know that I could do that. Some people might say "well, if you're in _____ situation you would" - I don't know. And if I'm not sure then I shouldn't be carrying. And...
    2. Being female, I'd be afraid someone would take the gun away from me and use it on me! I'm pretty strong but I'm still a female and men are stronger, there's no way around it.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options

I'm confused??

Racism-and-the-Media.jpg
    mobviolence.bmp

BOOM!

*sigh*
    I give up. I'm sad for America, I really am.
  • Everend
    Options
    I've found that an important question to ask someone after they extol the virtues of taking away firearms from the citizenry for "security purposes" is the following:

Has anyone ever punched you in the nose?

Usually I'm met with a blank stare, or a story about one time when they were 12...

My point is, if you have ever been in a situation where your personal well being is threatened by a GROWN man, it gets serious quickly. Begging and pleading does not usually help. 911 is not an option when someone is stomping your face. When a disgruntled employee walks into your office with a handgun and the smell of cordite is thick in the air, you are gonna wish you had a gun, not a phone.

All in all, I find people who are for gun control are usually people who have been lucky enough to avoid being on the wrong end of a truly bad situation.

Police are great, I respect and appreciate everything they do. But having had my fair share of experience with the legal systemI understand that my security and well being is my responsibility, and mine alone. Reality is very different from CSI, Law and Order, or yes even Miami Vice. The justice system does what it can after the fact. Period.

Arm yourself, its your right, and if you have children, it's your responsibility.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

I'm confused??

Racism-and-the-Media.jpg
    mobviolence.bmp

BOOM!

*sigh*
    I give up. I'm sad for America, I really am.

the top picture is in Europe at least according to the site I took it from