Your engagement ring/wedding set

Options
corn63
corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
No. I'm not getting engaged. At least I don't think. But I was wondering...

Did you and your SO go together to pick out an engagement ring? Did you just pop into a store together and window shopped? Or did you go and pick one out and he proposed in the store?

Did you leave subtle man hints (IE: Cut out pictures, sent him pictures, drew your ring out for him..)

Or are you the eternal romantic "I'll love whatever you get me because it's from you."

Discuss. I wanna know.

Replies

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have talked about getting married, and he wants to pick out the ring together. That just makes sense, because I want the engagement ring and wedding rings to be something we both like.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Ok..
    Well he purchased a ring when we were on vacation. He picked it out all on his own. But he had known, he had a diamond willed to him. He was thinking he'd replace the center stone of the said ring, with the one willed to him.

When I went to visit him, we went to jewler. They weren't able to do this, so we traded the ring in for a whole new setting that we picked out together with the family stone.

It's gorgeous.
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    We discussed getting married, but never went ring shopping ever... I showed him a couple a few years prior to getting engaged! I told him I wanted a colored stone (didn't have to be a diamond) and something different.. He went and shopped on his own!
    I wasn't even expecting the propsal when it happened!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There was a local designed we both knew and loved. We both knew they would be from that designer with a specific wood grain look from the swirled metals, but the design of the ring was all him.

But you knew that ;)
  • melisssaarielle
    melisssaarielle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We went looking a few times but we decided to just elope and I picked out my rings later. Which im glad we did cuz the set I wanted originally, I don;t like anymore and I found something perfect for me now.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Side note: for my next engagement, I don't want to be involved in the ring.
    For my third engagement, I'd like to pick it out.
    My fourth engagement, I'd like my third toe tattooed.
    After that, I'm game for whatever.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i picked mine out. it was $99 for the set at wal mart. he proposed with it (we'd been planning to get married for a good while) several weeks later while we were laying on the couch watching tv one night.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    We went together and designed my ring. It was custom-made for me, so there was production time. He did not tell me how long it was going to take to be made or when he got it, so the proposal was still a surprise when it happened.
  • karawRN
    karawRN Posts: 311
    Options
    we went ring shopping together. he really wanted me to like it if i was gunna wear it the rest of my life, i agreed :)

i am happy that i got to help pick it out
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I left him hints. I would say...oo I like that ring, isn't it pretty. I think he got the idea. :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    My ex asked if we should get married. I shrugged and said ok. He said lets go get a ring. I saw a beautiful beautiful little 1/4 carat solitaire that reminded me of my mothers ring. It was cheap too. He said, that's bullsht, I spent more than that on my ex's promise ring. You arent getting that one, youre getting this one.

And he pulled out this 13 diamond elaborate setting with a big round rock in the middle and I hated it. It was 5 times more than the one I loved. He just wanted to tell everyone how much it cost.

We got home and he dropped to one knee and asked me to marry him.

I felt kind of sick.

It was so much foreshadowing right there.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    We were broke college students, so we picked ours out together. at a pawn shop in the town we were going to school. We took it to a local jeweler though to have it inspected for quality, and it was given a good review, so we bought it. Years later when we weren't so broke he asked if I wanted something new, aka nicer/bigger. By then I was used to it and it's quite unusual looking, so I kept it. That was 19 years ago.

side note, I did buy him a new one after we had been married a couple years, because the one we picked out at the pawn shop was atrocious. We only bought it to have a ring for the ceremony. haha.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I bought the engagement ring myself, based on my knowledge of what she liked, and what I found acceptable, just like a big boy should. Wanted to give the ring along with the proposal, and wasn't going to bring her along and steal my own thunder.

We both picked out the wedding set together, though.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    We did go to pick out a set, but he decided to give me his grandmothers engagement set, which I actually like better. I truly feel its an honor to wear them.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    About 3 months prior to proposing, he took me ring shopping once to get an idea of the cut and style I liked. Next, without me knowing he spoke with my father and asked for his permission to propose.. then he took his mother with him to find the diamond and pick out the setting.

Very happy with how it all turned out.. I like how he envolved both sides of our families in the process.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I got a family heirloom. It was his great gran's engagement ring from before WWI. It was beautiful and understated.

I took out extra insurance on it when I FedExed it back to him in Germany after he slept his way through grad school in London while we were engaged :laugh:
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I have his great-grandmother's wedding ring and it's awesome. Because it's an heirloom, I have fake rings to wear when I'm on vacation and such.
    I have;
    http://www.fantasyjewelrybox.com/r0081.html

and

http://www.fantasyjewelrybox.com/r1815.html

They're very nice looking, and look real enough.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    My ex asked if we should get married. I shrugged and said ok. He said lets go get a ring. I saw a beautiful beautiful little 1/4 carat solitaire that reminded me of my mothers ring. It was cheap too. He said, that's bullsht, I spent more than that on my ex's promise ring. You arent getting that one, youre getting this one.

And he pulled out this 13 diamond elaborate setting with a big round rock in the middle and I hated it. It was 5 times more than the one I loved. He just wanted to tell everyone how much it cost.

We got home and he dropped to one knee and asked me to marry him.

I felt kind of sick.

It was so much foreshadowing right there.

Mine was a CZ and he lost his in the first month.... Talk about foreshadowing... :grumble:
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    We shopped together after being together for 6 years, living together for 2... We fell in love with one....he wanted to wait til he could pay in cash but got excited and picked it up a few weeks later... He waited 2 days before proposing... That ring, unfortunately, had been damaged and I ended up with a new ring that we both picked out 6 months later. When we went to buy my band, we both agreed on two diamond bands, one for both sides of my engagement ring....we also got a great deal. I love my set.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Side note: for my next engagement, I don't want to be involved in the ring.
    For my third engagement, I'd like to pick it out.
    My fourth engagement, I'd like my third toe tattooed.
    After that, I'm game for whatever.

Odus, once this one is gone I'm not taking the plunge again. BUT, if I did, I would totally opt for the tattoos.