Your engagement ring/wedding set

Options

Replies

• srudis25
    srudis25 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I told my fiance, he could pick out the ring! I just said white gold or platinum and I thought 3 stones looked better on my finger, but the rest was up to him! He did a FANTASTIC job! lol :smile: Oh and he picked out the wedding band too.. :love:
  • Mick63116
    Mick63116 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I proposed back in april, I went by myself. I have been told i'm old fashioned for that but I wanted it to be a surprise, and wanted her to know how much she means to me.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My parents divorced after 12 years and 3 kids. My sister wears my mom's wedding band. Her twin - if her ever gets married - will wear Daddy's wedding band. My mom's bridal set (e-ring and matching band) are currently in having the soldering cut apart and being resized. The e-ring will be on my finger before the end of the year.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hubs picked it out himself (it was a set) after asking me to show him pictures of rings that I liked. It is beautiful and he did a great job!
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Once the marriage talk started I made sure I voiced my opinion on what kind of ring I would like. Sadly after 7 years together and 5 years of marriage my poor DH still has NO idea what I like when it comes to jewelery. Im a simple girl and I still dont think he realizes that I will always prefer silver/platinum/white gold to yellow gold. Thankfully the one and only time he listened to me was in picking out my wedding set, he did a great job all by himself.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Eternal romantic here. :heart: We had neither gone ring shopping nor discussed marriage prior to his proposal. However, he did ask my father's permission, and actually swiped one of my rings from the house to get the sizing right. hehe!
  • eyestylemom
    eyestylemom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The first time I married my husband, we were 20. He picked out the ring and proposed to me when we were 18.

The second time I married my husband we were 28 and I saw the ring I wanted in a store I was walking by. I dragged him to the store and showed him it and told him that was the ring I wanted. He bought it for me and he picked out his new wedding ring.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I used a 1.25 carat diamond that was in the family. I purchased the setting with another 1 carat in diamonds with my future wife present. Her wedding ring also has 1 carat in diamonds on it and matches the engagement ring. I got a plain gold ring which sits in a box in my closet.

How do the ladies feel about their SO not wearing his wedding ring? I wore mine for about a week. I just do not like to wear jewelry so I took it off.
  • eyestylemom
    eyestylemom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I used a 1.25 carat diamond that was in the family. I purchased the setting with another 1 carat in diamonds with my future wife present. Her wedding ring also has 1 carat in diamonds on it and matches the engagement ring. I got a plain gold ring which sits in a box in my closet.

How do the ladies feel about their SO not wearing his wedding ring? I wore mine for about a week. I just do not like to wear jewelry so I took it off.

My husband doesn't wear his and hasn't for years. He can't in his line of work because of safety issues. It doesn't bother me at all because I know why.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My ring is custom -- I had told hubby I really liked the look of a pear diamond I saw at the store. He told his mother and she said "Well, I *have* a pear diamond. Here you go." It had belonged to his grandmother.

So then he showed me the diamond and we picked out a setting and made some tweaks. Meanwhile, my mother gave me some diamonds *she* had and so my ring is so very special to me for a number of reasons.

It's been a few years and I still catch myself gazing at it with little stars in my eyes.

weddingset.jpg
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    We picked ours out together because I have very exacting standards about jewelry.
  • snoopynut1972
    snoopynut1972 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    He picked the engagement ring out all on his own. He even sized my finger one night while I was asleep to get the size close enough for me to wear it when he proposed. I wasn't even expecting him to propose when he did. I knew he would propose when he was ready. He picked out a beautiful solitare and then we designed my wedding ring together. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
  • Stevie0018
    Stevie0018 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Me & my boyfriend talked about marriage & he asked what kind of ring I wanted. Months later he surprised me with a pretty ring when he purposed. The ring was nice but it didn't fit what I NEEDED. It was too thin of a medal & I was afraid I'd bend it (I'm a rough girl who camps, fishes, ect.). I asked him if he'd be terribly disapointed if I returned it & he told me that I was the one that had to wear it so whatever ring I wear he just wants me to be happy with it. So I took it back & bought the ring I wanted. My maid of honor asked me if that would be "juju" (bad luck) but I responded, "Juju would be being stuck with a ring I hated for the rest of my life!" ...."good point". She said.

Ultimatly, every couple & every individual is different. Whether you have a romantic story to tell of the purposal & ring or you come out of jewlery store happy as can be ...as long as you are marrying the love of your life ...it shouldn't matter. Good luck to you :)
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The day after we got engaged, we went shopping for the engagement ring together - it was a joint choice :)
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Exhole wore his for less than 24 hours because he doesn't like jewelry. He sould have said something before we bought it because we could have saved the money. When I told him I wanted a divorce 15 years later, he started wearing it assuming that would make our marriage better.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    our engagement was very casual, we were just stting aorund talking and got to talking about a wedding, and realized we were planning it, w/o being engaged so it was like "hey, we should be engaged, will you marry me?" "ok" type situation. we went to the mall the next day. We were poor college students, my engagement ring was about $150, and our wedding bands together were about 200. I lost my wedding band a few years ago, and it was replaced with one with more sparkles (about $250 or so) :)

They aren't a "set" per say, but they look nice together. lots of small diamonds.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    My engagement ring is my husband's signet ring. We went to Kmart and got our wedding bands and I paid for them.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :blushing: i never got an engagment ring, we didnt have the money for it and our wedding bands cost $30 for the set at walmart......grand total for the wedding was........$100.

$60 for the judge
    $30 for the rings
    $10 for the dollar menu at mcdonalds after:laugh:
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    We both picked out our own stuff and we're both really happy. To keep the surprise element, he kept it a secret as to when he had the ring in hand and then proposed at a later date. It was sweet, and I really like my rings :)
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've been with my guy for almost 9 years now, he proposed last November. He knew what I wanted because we had talked about it years ago, pear shaped diamond with a white gold band. That's what I got and I love it. I'm getting the Tiffany alternating victoria ring for my wedding band. I love that it's different from the norm. One of my friends couldn't believe I wanted a pear but I like different and almost everyone I know who's engaged or married has princess or round. I get so many compliments on my pear and I can't wait to see the sparkle with the diamond band :smile: One month and one day away! :heart:

As for my guy wearing his ring, he will wear his all the time except for when he works out. I bought him a special ring for either a birthday or anniversary and he wears it all the time except for when he works out. I love jewelry so I wear mine all the time except for when I weight lift.