Does Anyone Here Ever Eat For Pleasure?

Options

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I eat for pleasure (I didn't NEED that cookie...), but I've learned/am learning to avoid eating for comfort or stress relief. I don't even really enjoy the taste of the food when my nerves are fritzed. But eating well (and tastily) throughout the week, followed by baking scones/cookies/muffins on a lazy Sunday? All about that.

Incidentally, "help, I have too many tempting freshly baked goods in the house" is not the worst way to arrange a spontaneous get-together with friends. Just saying...
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    no, but my boyfriend does....
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid and through college, I usually ate the same thing most of the time and never really tried many foods, so I "ate to live." Then when I graduated and got into the working world, I became more adventurous with my culinary exploits and soon found that I "lived to eat." If I could somehow control my portion sizes I would be set. That is my biggest hurdle...otherwise I usually don't worry about what I eat, because I have converted to a mostly healthy lifestyle. Even a lot of the junk I eat I am eating healthier versions of them (usually homemade...homemade doesn't mean healthier...I substitute healthier ingredients).
  • markiestory
    Options
    I have been in and out of this very rut many times, so I understand. Accountability is my most effective tool which is why I'm here. Find a mature, health person to be accountable to. Or find someone who is experiencing the same struggle and help each other. Seek a pro to find out if you're depressed and address it! Best of luck to you. :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I have the same problem as he does...
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Half of my family is Italian, and the other half is Jewish. I had no idea that people *didn't* eat for pleasure?? Food is amazing.
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I did and that is part of the reason I need to lose. What has worked for me is I have changed my attitude towards food from a luxury to just fuel. That said, I have gained a better appreciation for good flavors by eating less.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

WINNER!!!! Tacos for everybody YAY!!!!:love::heart: :smooched: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I eat for pleasure most of the time ... or to be more clear: I love good food and enjoy what I eat. That being said, what I eat and gives me pleasure may not be another's idea of delish :-) I have zero interest in hamburgers, fries, DQ blizzards, onion blossoms, candy, etc., and don't snack or drink calories just to fill up time or my belly, or spend money on what I consider to be 'not really food'.

But, love a steak rare, grilled vegetables or ahi tuna, roasted marrow with parsley salad, eggs with hollandaise, smoked salmon I could eat all day long, sliced fresh peaches, or a classic Cobb salad, or any leafy salad for that matter. Or, OMG! duck confit! These are things that are among my favs and I don't sit down to eat unless it's for something I'm going to thoroughly enjoy. To me food IS pleasure, and I want it to be the best quality I can afford (not rich, just choosey) and... delicious!

Tonight we're having grilled tuna steak (on sale) with a homemade mango-peach salsa, salad (greens, home grown tomatoes, cuke, pepper, homemade salad dressing), broccoli, and leftover homemade flourless chocolate cake for dessert. Not what everyone would like ... but works for our family. Maybe you can tell I love cooking!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Best answer :laugh:
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I do! I'm definitely a foodie! I just find healthier ways of cooking stuff or fit it into my day. No need to punish yourself with nasty tasting food just to eat "healthy". You can have the best of both worlds!!
  • bekinator
    Options
    Wow so many of you have great posts in here! This has been my biggest issue my whole life, and I'm reading this thread & soaking up all of your advice.

Thank you for posting this, and for all of your great responses!!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want every day but instead of stuffing my face I eat in moderation. I look forward to the next day where I can eat more of what I love. If you deprive yourself of your favorite foods you are doomed for failure. It's best to have them in moderation, maybe you can't eat them every day but maybe a couple times a week you can fit them in. Part of the joys of life is enjoying our food so try to enjoy what you eat
  • jamielovesjbs
    jamielovesjbs Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i always eat for pleasure, i love food! i just try to meet my calorie goal and exercise while eating a few brownies. :)
  • MrDangerSass
    Options
    I eat what I want every day but instead of stuffing my face I eat in moderation. I look forward to the next day where I can eat more of what I love. If you deprive yourself of your favorite foods you are doomed for failure. It's best to have them in moderation, maybe you can't eat them every day but maybe a couple times a week you can fit them in. Part of the joys of life is enjoying our food so try to enjoy what you eat

^ I still eat and cook for pleasure. Arguably, MFP has helped me learn to be better at burning the calories and moderating my appetites so that I can continue enjoying the good things of life and hopefully enjoy them for a much longer time.
  • kantoka
    kantoka Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat my feelings. Eating for pleasure is an understatement. :laugh:
  • CentralCaliCycling
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating for pleasure - unless you don't enjoy anything healthy, want to eat 24/7 and have an aversion to physical activity. I eat for pleasure but I also am not a huge snack consumer and have a balance between calorie intake and burn.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I try to make every meal pleasurable....... I enjoy cooking and I work hard at hunting up tasty and healthy recipes (granted I still have to tweak them to fit my carb/sodium limits) and they are always delicious.

If you mean do I miss being able to sit down with an entire bag of cheetos and a pint of Ben & Jerry's?...sometimes but not as often as I used too.

Will I always worry about my Sodium/Carb intake....probably but mine were because of health reasons so I'll need to watch that no matter how much I lose.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I eat for pleasure almost every day. I only cook food that I like and while I aim to make my recipes healthy I'm just as happy to scale down my serving size/snack less during the day to enjoy the food I enjoy. I'm currently enjoying a wicked lamb tagine and am savouring every mouthful.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    A mere two generations ago, it was verboten to admit to having sex for pleasure. No, that was just for procreation and everybody had to think of England the entire time. Replace sex with food and you have turned 1952 into 2012.

Nah. Many people call themselves foodies and there are no problems with it. Some foodies eat enough just to maintain, and others don't. I don't think anyone really condemns people for liking food.

I just ate lunch. And I loved it. In fact, when I calorie restrict or I watch my calories, it seems to make me appreciate the food I eat more. There is no shame in liking food.