Does Anyone Here Ever Eat For Pleasure?

Options
123457»

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only eat for pleasure, unless it's a dire I-need-to-stop-what-I'm-doing-and-get-calories-in-my-face-now-or-I-will-hurt-something-that-probably-doesn't-deserve-it type situation.
  • joyous504
    Options
    I LOVE food and eat for pleasure everyday. I just make sure what I have is a small portion or the actual portion size and it stays within my calorie goals. I also don't eat junk all day either. It's a limited thing. I'm a vegan and there are still days, after almost two years, that I get a craving for meat or eggs. I find a vegan alternative and move on.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I have an awareness of the foods I eat, but I definitely eat for pleasure. For me, it's been a twofold change- first, I genuinely enjoy most of the healthy food I eat- snap peas, grapefruit, green beans, apples, chicken and lean beef dishes, salads that aren't just lettuce- I go out of my way to prepare and try new foods and get excited about them. But I also still eat junky things. But I focus on enjoying them. And stopping eating them, either when I'm sated (which is often earlier than I think it will be) or when it threatens my goal for the day.

Is the awareness of what I eat an additional responsibility that I take on for life? Pretty much. Is the responsibility worth the benefits I reap of a healthy lifestyle (read: More than just being 'thin,' a certain dress size, or being bathing suit ready but being strong, being able to be active and energetic and happy with the overall quality of my life). Abso-freaking-loutely.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eating for pleasure is my favorite hobby.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to redefine "pleasure." I ate for pleasure today. I was craving hummus. I made some up (a double batch) but used 1/4 of the olive oil that I normally use for a normal recipe. I replaced it with ff chicken broth. Still had the mouth feel that I was looking for but much less fat!

I don't want to lose those things that I find deliscious. Some things I will change the recipe to make it lighter/healthier and others I will eat less often or in much smaller portions but I don't plan on giving up much of anything. We'll see how that turns out in the long run.

I'll be honest, I've hit goal weight twice before in the past 20 years and I always balloon back up. The trick is to make this permanent. I'm praying that consistent exercise and following a healthy diet most of the time will allow a day or meal a week to eat things that are not on the menu for a healthy lifestyle.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I eat for pleasure everyday, I just don't worship it anymore. Common sense rules the day. I was a professional cook in the service for 24 years. So food and preparing it was my world 24/7 and 365 days a year during operational tempo's. I have backed away from the typical SAD to a ME diet. And it certainly is paying off. :smile: Food glorious food! In moderation.:bigsmile: